Turned Off: Don Imus Loses CBS Radio Show

CBS this afternoon announced that it was firing Don Imus for racist, sexist, and classist remarks regarding the Rutgers women’s basketball team which Time magazine recently characterized as “a perfect little diamond of insult”.

ImusSaid CBS chairman Les Moonves: “From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent. Those who have spoken with us the last few days represent people of goodwill from all segments of our society – all races, economic groups, men and women alike. In our meetings with concerned groups, there has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society. That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision, as have the many emails, phone calls and personal discussions we have had with our colleagues across the CBS Corporation and our many other constituencies.”

You may have missed…
MSNBC Cans Imus as Debate on Hate Speech Rages [tr]

Comments

1. hoya86 says

how soon before Bush deports Imus to Iraq in order to boost his own approval ratings?

2. KR says

Don Imus looks just like the grinch and acts like one too. I wonder if it was his awful looks that helped make him such a mean spirited person or if it was his mean spritedness that helped made him such an awful looking person? In any case lets hope being brought down by a bunch of nappy headed hos humbles him enough to be less mean spirited in the future.

3. Steven says

Ever get the feeling that homophobic remarks still don’t carry the same weight as racial remarks? Isaiah Washington got off easy…and I certainly don’t recall Al Sharpton rushing to T.R. Knight’s defense, despite the fact that he likes to boast that he’s fighting for “all” civil rights…

4. tom says

Honestly, who the hell is this old coot anyway…? who the hell listens to this old geezer…i’m not apologizing for him…but he is a looser to start with…lets move on…

5. Chris says

I’m not exactly sure that the comment was racially motivated. Just because it was aimed at some black women doesn’t make it a racist statement. Watch the Comedy Central Roast of Pam Anderson, you might describe Courtney Love with the same language, and she is pretty damn white.

6. Leland says

I know Sharpton has a controversial history to which I can’t speak. However, I do know that he, like Dennis Kucinich, has virtually the right position on every gay-related issue that I care about.

And a toast to a GREAT DAY for Civilization with Imus FINALLY being totally kicked to the curb. He’s still a millionaire, and some other network is likely to pick him up, but his ego will never recover [until he finally “gets it”]. A line has been drawn in the sand that we must not let fade—for ourselves, for people of color, and women generally. Attention MSNBC; Chris Matthews, et al: Bigotry Is Not A Joke!!!!

7. patrick nyc says

Well said STEVEN. I have been saying that since Washington opened his stupid mouth.

As for Imus, he’s really learning the truth about something he took for granted, free speech works both ways, and the way that wins is the all mighty dollar.

I had a run in with him over a decade ago, I thought he was in his 60’s then, man looks like death on two feet. I was working the finish line at the Race for the Cure Run in Central Park, as a volunteer finish line offical. He was there for his girlfriend/wife/future wife or what ever, how do guys like him and Larry King get these hot babes, oh yea, the money thing again.

He was standing around with the press and V.I.P.’s, smoking a cigarette, while people were looking on in shock. After several complained to me and others I went up to him and asked him to put it out. He looked at me with such disdain and surprise and asked why.

“You may not have noticed but this is a race to raise money for the fight against CANCER. Not to mention the fact that both runners and cancer survivors may have a problem with it.” He gave me another dirty look and I asked him if he prefered I get one of the police officers who were standing by, I guess my race offical uniform was not enough to impress. He put it out while glaring.

An asshole then, an asshole now. Good bye and good riddance.

8. Leland says

Judy BLESS you, Patrick, both for the story and the role you played in it! [Reminds me of a similar run in with a non-celebrity Frenchman fumé.] Given his tape loop this week, I’m surprised that Imus didn’t say, while glaring at you, “Don’t you understand? I am NOT a bad person. I have a good heart!”

9. says

Don’t be fooled. The only rights Al Sharpton is interested in are his own. His right to insert himself into any situation and delude people into thinking that he is of any importance whatsoever.

I wonder if he gets Christmas cards from Tawana Brawley?

10. Leland says

You miss the point, Roscoe. I don’t give a damn what Sharpton’s motivation is any more than I care what is really in the “heart” of Don Imus. It is the effect of their words and actions that matter to me. Sharpton publicly endorses gay MARRIAGE, adoption, military service, immigration, nondiscrimination and hate crimes legislation, [including gender identification]. Imus calls us faggots and mocks every aspect of our lives, and laughs at jokes about our being physically attacked.

Neither do I care if Hillary or Obama or Edwards or the Repug candidates “like” me. It’s the room they would or would not give me to live my life as an openly gay man, and what message their words and actions about LGBTs send to others, that are important.

11. Jim says

Don –
    It’s to your credit that you don’t know who Don Imus is. His show personifies and caters to the straight white patriarchy -that runs the networks – that understands only revenue losses, not hate speech. Hence the 7 day delay. Note that Republican pols were very quick to accept the apology. I think it was McCain who termed it “redemption.” They will never get it.

12. Daniel says

Chris, do you know what “nappy-headed” means. I do think too much attention was paid to the racism (which I think is obvious but you could argue it). Calling these girls “hos” was over the line. We all know what “ho” means.

13. Zeke says

I hope Rosanne Barr is paying attention to all of this and the way it’s being handled. Although gay people have been one of the favored targets, if not THE favorite target, of this man’s bigoted rants for years, he gets fired for his “racist, sexist, and classist” statements after a meeting with “people of goodwill from ALL segments of our society – all races, economic groups, men and women alike.”

In that entire speel not one mention of the rampant homophobia and not one suggestion that gay and lesbian representatives were involved in the consultations.

THAT is why some gay activist are single minded about gay issues Rosy. NO ONE ELSE WILL STAND UP FOR US! Most people don’t even seem to want to admit that gay people are on the receiving end of any of this crap.

14. Becks07 says

PATRICK NYC — While I understand your motivations, and you had every right to make your opinion known, Imus was enjoying his fix in a public location and thus you had no right whatsoever to expect him to respond to your extra-legal attempts with anything less than a dismissal. Had you gone to the policeman, he would likely have told you there was nothing he could do, and had he made Imus extinguish his cigarette, chances are he would have sued you and the NYPD.

And no, I am not a smoker.

15. Luke says

Well, hopefully this is a wake up call to the others who have radio and television shows that they hurl out racist, sexist homophobic remarks without anything happening to them and their career. Glen Beck, O’Reilly, Limbaugh, and all the rest of the churls who think they are better than gays, women and people of color, and will do anything for a cheap laugh, you are going to be more scrutinized now as well.

As to the Fox News analysis going on here about Rev Al, I do think he has a sister who is gay, so, I don’t think he fits into that neat umbrella of homophobe, if only peiople would learn about some of these folks before declaring them homophobic like this, when Rev Al has said he is pro gay rights, but, that goes unnoticed it seems.

16. patrick nyc says

BECKS07

Perhaps I did not print a clear enough picture for you. While Central Park is a public location, he was standing behind a roped off area where VIP’s, many who were women who not only survived cancer, complained about the smoke. They were all standing near him and were clearly upset, having told me and other officals so. This was at an event that the park signed over to us. So while in a public space, like the St. Patrick’s day love fest, it was signed over to a private group.

I made no threat of arrest, I simply told Imus I would get a police officer to intercede. Imus did not put the butt out over threat of arrest, more likely avoidance of an embarrassing situation. HMMM. Too bad he did not reflect on it last week.

ZEKE & LELAND good to see your posts, sorry I’ve been a bit too busy to join in of late, the new job is taking a lot of my time up. Hope you boys are both well.

17. Stephen says

The punishment did not fit the crime, an old cliche but certainly applicable here.

He apologized, is meeting with the Rutgers women and was suspended for two weeks.

Al Sharpton injecting himself into this serves no one else other than Al Sharpton. Reverend Sharpton? Reverend??? He’s as reverend as lemons are sweet.

18. Rick Sutherland says

I am so happy that he is gone. I do not watch him, but the few times I have come upon his show, he is always saying things just like the comment that ended his career. This is the second big move this year to silence, or at least smack down the voice of bigotry. I never understood how he made his way to radio and television anyway. Yea!

19. Fred says

Frankly, I watched Imus on occasion and enjoyed his show. He did some great interviews of politicians and political commentators. He was totally opposed to the war in Iraq. He also is heavily involved in cancer research for kids. My point is, he is not all bad. He is complicated, and yes, his show did contain skits that were outrageously bigoted.
    I’d like to say that Imus did more than simply apologize. For several days he took his medicine and consistently apologized and tried to make amends. He is to be commended for that.
    Lastly, I’d like to say that if we ban the N word and the F word and all of the other bad words and phrases we can find offensive, then we will merely drive the bigotry underground. I’d rather error on the side of freedom of speech and debate the issues out in the open.

20. Leland says

Jesus Fucking Christ, how doomed we appear to be by gays defending a man who has demeaned us as a group REPEATEDLY. FOR YEARS! “Not all bad”?? NOT the point, ‘tard! Prisons are full of men and women who “aren’t all bad”—as are graveyards full of their victims. Many of them apologize repeatedly, too. NOT the point, ‘tard. Even if it were, follow the pattern of Imus apologies for this incident. He didn’t suddenly realize the cruelty and racism in his “nappy headed ho’s” slur. It had to be pointed out to him. He gave a limp dick, insincere apology and only escalated them as he began to smell smoke around his career. He was primarily trying to save his own bony ass, not make the women targets feel better, or the young girls of color all across America the past few days who were probably asking, “Mommy. I have nappy hair? Is that bad? Am I a whore because of it?” This and oh so much more over the SEVEN YEARS since he swore on the air that to Clarence Page that he would never use racist remarks again! In California, we have a “three strikes” law. By that standard, Imus would have been sent back to his ranch lonnnnnnnnnnng ago.

Finally, drive bigotry underground??? Why goodness me, Auntie Em! YES, FUCK PLEASE! Where it can suffocate for lack of light and air. Unfortunately, it and, judging by many posts today, VOLUNTARY STUPIDITY are alive if not well.

21. Jordan S says

To me this is another example, of upholding “equality” through political correctness, while ignoring real issues that affect the lives of african americans. I mean really, what is American Idol? Or the politically correct cast of Grey’s Anatomy? Again and again,it is as if we think that if we preserve “diversity” and “tolerance” in our media we can continue to believe we aren’t a racist, sexist, or homophobic society. So when someone pulls that curtain off of our eyes, and we see that we are a racist society, we quickly want to punish, judge and eventually persecute and destroy them. So then we can all feel good about ourselves for beating up on the racist. Does it matter that its Don Imus? NO. Does it matter that its the Rutgers Women’s Basketball team, who brought their school to their first NCAA championship game? NO. A repulsive comment was made by a white radio shock jock, and now to cleanse our conscious we are going to make him pay. This is not justice, or “tolerance,” or understanding, or critical thinking, or really changing the world, or taking a real stand, this is a public media stoning of one person, who said a bad thing. So that we can continue to believe that racism only lives in history books, and award winning movies and tv shows, and we can reminisse about how far we have come and how much better we are than all that. Finally, we can continue to think, that minorities in this country have equal opportunity, when they do not. And that if we only stop referring to minorities with oppressive words and cruel slurs, then we could end predjudice and live freely, when nothing could be further from the truth.

“Imus-Gate” Cont’d

Well yes, boys and girls, we did it! Do we all feel better now? One racist down? The rest of us to go. What is so funny about this particular “victory” for the politically correct activists to me, is that Imus’ show was pulled from MSNBC not because of what he said, but because of the economic interests of the the companies that advertise on his show and the network at large. Its not in these corporations’ profiting interests to be associated with Imus because of his “Public Media stoning.” Msnbc pulled Imus to save their own profits, not because Racism is wrong. But as we speak, anti-imus folks are cheering! Ding Dong the Don is Gone! because for them, this is conformation that everything is ok, that fairness is real, when it isn’t, and that we don’t have to look at ourselves because Ding Dong the Don is Gone!

You know personally, I’m disgusted over what he said. But at the end of the day, people say shit! they do, we don’t mean to, but we do. And when we do, I think if we take responsibility and apologize for our actions, we ought to be forgiven, and at the least granted another chance, I mean that is one principle I thought I could be proud of in culture. That people do get a second chance. I thought that when Imus was suspended, that this was a reciprocal consequence for him, it was just in a sense. That by giving him a chance to reform his show, maybe we were making some kind of progress, in a higher sense. But MSNBC caved to the loud mouthed few, rather than backing up their stance. I can’t blame them for going with their economic interests, because that’s how corporations work. But on the other hand, I feel like, geez people grow some BALLS. In the end, this should never have gotten to the degree is reached. In everyday activity, it should really have been dealt with between Imus and the RWBT, not the media, and not the public. Perhaps, Imus’ continuous apologies were just too much, the more you bring it up, the worse you end up making it for yourself.

Lastly>>

Where did this slur originate? Well it certainly originated in hip-hop culture, which should be far more scrutinized for its racism, sexism and homophobia far more than Imus. But of course it isn’t. Why? Because the same self-deceiving motivations that have destroyed Imus, protect and shield hip-hop culture, pronouncing it “the beat of streets” “the music of the people” or out right referring to it as art etc. rather than holding it to the so called politically correct “high standards”. Although I think its worth noting that 60% of people who buy hip-hop and rap music are Caucasian. Its insane to think that because a 66 year old white male radio shock jock says it, that somehow its become okay, or that suddenly now it will be said all the time. Then again, I thinks “Nappy-headed Hoes” has been said more times in this last week then in the last 10 years.

In any case, I think that this country, this culture, this society, we the people, need to take a cold hard look in mirror. I mean who are we?! to judge others. I mean what happened to “Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone?” in this so called “Christian” society. All I see is hypocrisy…more blatantly then ever before. Then again, on the local news, a middle aged woman put it best, when she said “Its always been like this.” Indeed it seems the the media-firestorms of the 21st century are really just the latest form of public lynching, or the newest form of crucifixion.

22. ROY says

There is something called freedom of speech. Which seems to only apply to the minority. I don’t care how stupid or lame something said is people have a right to say it. We also have a right not to listen to it. Rap songs are filled with hatred for gays and women, calling us every name in the book. Where is (rev) Al and Jesse? Why don’t they call for the firing of rappers and extort money from their record labels? I never liked Imus, but I do like my freedom of speech. If I do not like what someone is saying then I don’t listen, watch, or support. One thing that Imus does is a fund raiser for sick children with SIDS and cancer and other diseases, he is very passionate about that. What does R. Kelley do? Oh, he fucks the kids… WHERE IS AL AND JESSE?

23. yoshi says

Leland,

You don’t care what Al Sharpton’s motivations are??? Give me a fucking break. The ‘good’ Reverend is an opportunist who only cares where the next headline and dollar is coming from. He is not anyone’s friends – most of all ours. As for Imus – this is complete bull. Imus said nothing that he hasn’t said for years. Why the hell is it important now? Because we are sooo much more sensitive and enlightened? Or because the good Reverend and his ilk sense an opportunity to exploit?

24. ANON says

In an odd twist tonight, Gov. Corzine of NJ got into a bad auto accident on the GSP while returning to Princeton to mediate between Imus and the RU girls team. They were already there when the accident occurred and I guess their meeting went on without the gov, who is in critical condition and surgery in Camden. The meeting ended at 11pm. No word on what happened.

25. Tom says

Good riddance to another dinosaur from a dying age. Mr. Imus has been making a good living for (too) many years pandering to his clueless audience with his tired, anachronistic shtick. I’m actually amazed that he wasn’t able to dodge this most recent bullet. Maybe there’s hope yet that “things” can change–slowly but surely. Kudos to CBS and MSNBC for giving this turd the boot.

26. Dan E says

Roy,

Freedom of speech isn’t being denied here. He’s still free to spew his racist, sexist, homophobic vitriol. Freedom of speech isn’t a promise of a radio and television show (unless I’ve been horribly misinformed, in which case I’d like my radio and television show, please!).

Freedom of speech simply means that speech acts shall not have *legal* reprecussions. Speech acts can still certainly have social and professional reprecussions.

If I use racist and sexist language at my place of employment, my employer has every right to terminate my employment.

So please, don’t trot out the freedom of speech canard if you don’t actually understand what it is. I know it sounds very sexy to say someone’s freedom of speech has been violated, but until such a time as you understand what freedom of speech actually means, you run the risk, when exercising said freedom, of sounding rather ignorant.

27. Jack! says

Ditto, Zeke’s first comment.

I think the people involved in his firing have overplayed their hand. I already see a major backlash happening. The media has sensationalized this incident so much that people are actually sympathizing with Don Imus. If you watched cable news last night you know what I’m talking about. It’s a show. I agree with the firing but the way it’s been handled I don’t agree with. This incident will set off more incidents of firings of offensive remarks. It’s not going to be good.

28. Roy says

Dan E,
    What I was saying about freedom of speech was that it is only one sided. I am going to give you examples so that you can understand. Have you watched BET, listened to black radio? On the Steve Harvey show a week ago he and his partners were making fun of white people calling white people crackers and joking about them living in trailers. On 97.5 (or 97.1) an all black rap station, they say some horrible things about whites, “kill whitey”. Why hasn’t anything been done about this? How can they say it without losing their job, having professional extortionist, that pose as revs, demanding your head on a plate. Hell, they do not even have to apologize. So, Dan E dont talk to me about freedom of speech. I protect that right everyday so that you can enjoy it and post your nonsense on boards such as this one.

29. rick says

when’s isaiah washington getting canned? where’s the outrage and corporate sponsorship withdrawal?

30. says

Roy,

While it is your right to yap on about Revs.Jackson and Sharpton all you want, at least get the facts right. Sharpton has held rallies against rap music. Here is a link:

As for not apologizing, you are also wrong. Rev. Jackson did apologize when he described NYC as “Hymietown.”

While you are entitled to your opinion, it would be nice if you got your facts right (and this is coming from a guy who is not a supporter of either Jackson or Sharpton).

31. SGR says

James, don’t confuse the racists with all those facts. It gets in the way of their cherished dittohead race-hustler memes.

32. SGR says

Roy, clearly you don’t understand what “freedom of speech” means.  Google is your friend.  Do yourself a favor and figure out what it means.  You sound like an ignorant ass when you bring it up in a situation in which it doesn’t apply (such as this one).  Especially when you boast about protecting a freedom for us that you don’t even understand.

And if you want to do something about the Steve Harvey show and rap stations (which, btw, aren’t “black” stations–the biggest consumers of hip hop are young white males), learn something from the effective work that people like Sharpton do: write letters, complain to advertisers and so on.  It just won’t happen magically.  You have to put in the effort.  If enough people feel the way you do, and actually get off their asses to do what Sharpton and others do, you will get results.  Simply bitching about it isn’t going to do it.

33. noah says

Folks, Sharpton led a campaign to end homophobia in African-American churches. Sharpton and Jackson held a conference. So, let’s stop the Shartpon bashing.

And, Imus was being racist. It’s not up to white people to tell black people what they should think of as racist any more than it is for heterosexuals to tell gays what they should feel is homophobic.

34. John says

did any of you see this?
    It’s more than just Imus

Shaun Powell
    SPORTS COLUMNIST
    April 12, 2007

In retrospect, outraged people shouldn’t have united and screamed “blank you” to Don Imus the last few days. No, instead, we should’ve stuck out our hand and said, “Thank you.”

We should feel indebted to a shriveled, unfunny, insensitive frog for being so ignorant that he actually did us all a favor. He woke society the hell up. He grabbed it by the throat, shook hard and ordered us to take a long, critical look at ourselves and the mess we’ve made and ignored for much too long. He made us examine the culture and the characters we’ve created for ourselves, our impressionable young people and our future.

Had Imus not called a bunch of proud and innocent young women “nappy-headed hos,” would we be as ashamed of what we see as we are today?

Or, to quote Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer: “Have we really lost our moral fiber?”

And our minds as well?

I’m not sure if the last few days will serve as a watershed moment for this MTV, middle-finger, screw-you generation. Probably not, according to my hunch. A short time from now, the hysteria will turn to vapor, folks will settle back into their routines, somebody will pump up the volume on the latest poison produced by hip-hop while Al Sharpton and the other racial ambulance chasers will find other guilt-ridden white folks to shake for fame and cash. In five minutes, the entire episode of Imus and his strange idea of humor will be older than his hairstyle. Lessons learned will be lessons forgotten.

I wish I were wrong about that last part. But I doubt it, because any minute now, black people will resume calling themselves bitches and hos and the N-word and in the ultimate sign of hypocrisy, neither Rutgers nor anyone else will call a news conference about that.

Because when we really get to the root of the problem, this isn’t about Imus. This is about a culture we — meaning black folks — created and condoned and packaged for white power brokers to sell and shock jocks like Imus to exploit. Can we talk?

Tell me: Where did an old white guy like Imus learn the word “ho”?

Was that always part of his vocabulary? Or did he borrow it from Jay-Z and Dave Chappelle and Snoop Dogg?

What really disappointed me about that exhausting Rutgers news conference, which was slyly used as a recruiting pitch by Stringer, was the absence of the truth and the lack of backbone and courage. Black women had the perfect opportunity to lash out at their most dangerous oppressors — black men — and yet they kept the focus on a white guy.

It was a tremendous letdown for me, personally and professionally. I wanted Stringer, and especially her players, many of whom listen to rap and hip-hop, to take Nelly to task. Or BET. Or MTV. Or the gangsta culture that is suffocating our kids. They had the ear and eye of the nation trained upon them, and yet these women didn’t get to the point and the root of the matter. They danced around it, and I guess I should’ve known better, because black people still refuse to lash out against those black people who are doing harm to us all.

Honestly, I wasn’t holding my breath for Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, a pair of phony and self-appointed leaders, because they have their agendas and financial stakes. I was hoping 10 young women, who have nothing on the line, who are members of a young culture, would train their attention to within the race, name names and say enough is enough. But they didn’t, and I was crushed.

You should walk around the playground and the elementary and high schools today and listen to how young black people speak to each other, treat each other and tease each other. You’d be ashamed. Next, sample some of their CDs and look at the video games they’re playing. And while you’re at it, blame yourself for funding this garbage, for allowing your kids to support these companies and for not taking a stand against it or the so-called artists making it happen.

Black folks, for whatever reason, can be their own worst enemy. The last several days, the media had us believe it was Don Imus. But deep down, we know better.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

35. Derrick from Philly says

John, there have been black activists (Jasmyne Cannick, Keith Boykin) complaining about the damaging effects of black Gansta’ Rap for quite a while now. This man’s essay doesn’t tell us anything new, except that he’s a black conservative who hates Jackson and Sharpton.

It’s funny, Jackson and Sharpton have gone out of their way to support the gay community long before many other politicians and activists. But it appears for many white gays, skin color solidarity may be more important than gay identity. I thought only us black gays were guilty of that.

36. Daniel says

The reaction to Al Sharpton is always out of whack–people love to attack him so they don’t have to pay attention to what he’s saying–which is often quite intelligent. When he was running for president and was included in the debates I often found myself thinking how right he is in what he said.

It’s easier to attack Al Sharpton than to defend Don Imus.

37. Dan E says

Roy–

Though I’m reasonably certain I’m waiting my breath (or my keystrokes), I’ll try to explain this one more time.

The fact that some people get away with hate speech and Don Imus didn’t has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is about laws. There were no laws prohibiting Imus from saying what he said.

Professional and social reprecussions are not about laws.

If you’re saying that not everyone is treated in the same fashion when it comes to which speech acts tend to outrage the media and the general public, I don’t disagree with you. But that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with freedom of speech.

Again, freedom of speech has to do with LAWS and nothing else. And Don Imus’ firing had nothing to do with his breaking laws. It had to do with public reaction to his comments, and the decision by MSNBC and CBS that they didn’t want to continue broadcasting his views.

Now, if MSNBC and CBS are broadcasting other bigoted remarks, they may be behaving in a hypocritical fasion.

But again, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with freedom of speech.

So please, educate yourself on what freedom of speech means before you invoke it in arguments. You may well have a valid point to make about media hypocrisy, but it’s difficult to tell when you clutted your argument with statements that are simply factually inaccurate.

38. Leland says

I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for calling Amelie Mauresmo “a big old lesbo.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for telling a “60 Minutes” producer than he had someone on his staff in charge of “nigger jokes,” then claimed he never uses the word. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for telling Maureen Orth that he worried about her having to be around “those people” when she was investigating the Andrew Cunanan story. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for allowing his brother to say on-air, “Why are they bothering to catch [Cunanan]? He’s just whacking off freaks! I think the FBI should back off.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for comparing “the gorilla special effects in [a movie]” to “the starting line-up of the Knicks.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for letting one of his team refer on-air to “these fagaloons talking to you.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for calling the tennis-star Williams sisters “two booma-chucka, big-butted women” or an Indian men’s doubles team “Gunga Din and Sambo.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for suggesting Hillary Rodham Clinton is a lesbian. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted the first time he broke his broke his on-air pledge to Clarence Page seven years ago that he would stop the racist jokes. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for referring to “the homos on Broadway.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for calling Gloria Estefan a “little Chihuahua-looking ‘ho.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for agreeing that CNN’s female anchors are “dyke-ie broads.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for calling the “Washington Post’s” Howard Kurtz a “boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew boy.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for saying that an actor was likely to get into a “fagatation situation.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for referring to Japanese Prime Minister Obuchi who had just had a stroke as “Won Hooky” and “old Kabuki there in a coma.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for calling Black journalist Gwen Iffil “a cleaning lady.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for allowing these on-air comments by his producer about Elian Gonzalez: “He’s getting heckled by people down there. Hey maricon. … Good lord, wait till he gets a look at some of the ho’s on South Beach, some of the food in the 7-11’s around here. He’s not going back to Cuba.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for letting one of his on-air sidekicks refer to Hillary as a “bitch [who] is gonna be wearing cornrows.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for referring to John McEnroe’s tennis team as “the new Hampton Homos.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for referring to “that fat homo over there at the nursery.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for saying and then denying that he said “Besa mi culo … Gordo” about New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for this bit from his show: Voice imitating Manuel Noriega in Spanish accent: “I’m one of the world’s most dangerous men on the verge of getting out of prison and getting back at the Texas maricon who put me away in the first place…And that’s what Gore had been saying, that is, until recently when somebody told him how many electoral votes are up for grabs in Florida and how many potential big-money, campaign-contributing homos there are roller blading in South Beach.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose he would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for telling a sports reporter that whenever he interviews Magic Johnson he should “wear gloves.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for laughing about “Fudgepack Mountain.” But he didn’t because he wasn’t.
    I suppose Imus would have shown just as much sincere regret had he been similarly busted for laughing about “faggots” and gay bashing in his producer’s “comedy routine” three weeks ago in the video clip Andy posted. But he didn’t because he wasn’t.

I suppose long after Imus is dead, we will still be second class citizens because so many of our own remain unconsciously self-loathing, quick to defend those who, whatever is in their hearts, spit upon us again and again and again with their mouths; telling the world that we are ourselves “a joke.” If you are in that group, please look in the mirror and ask yourself why you don’t stand up for yourself.

39. Stephen says

DERRICKINPHILLY posted, “This man’s essay (referring to Shaun Powell’s article in NewsDay) doesn’t tell us anything new, except that he’s a black conservative who hates Jackson and Sharpton.”

Derrick,

Okay, let’s stipulate that it was commonly known that Powell is a black conservative who hates Jackson and Sharpton.

BUT, how can you say he didn’t tell us anything new? He pulls back the curtain on what SHOULD have been said by the Rutgers women and Ms. Stringer: To call them out and tell them to stop using the language to demean their own race; tell these black kids, young adults and grown men and women they perpetuate, condone and make it acceptable by using the language, listening to the rap, etc. without a whimper of outrage.

If a person refers to themself as a nigger, whore, slut, faggot, bad-ass bigot, et al., how do they think they are NOT making it okay for others to use the same labels when speaking about them. I am not saying that makes it right, but if blacks (as example) don’t begin to reject the rhetoric, the slurs and demand it be stopped, then the result is a continuance of the demise of the moral fiber of people. Result: Anything goes, everyone is a victim and no one takes responsibility. How are we to survive such a sorry state?

I’m not closing with the following point to bring religion into the discussion, but the ten commandments (call them Ten of Life’s Important Lessons, etc…makes no difference) are pretty simple to understand. What’s tragic is more people today than at any other time in history want to make up their own rules. And we’re all too familiar with the results.