Chad White Acts Out a Few Equine Fantasies

Chad_white_1_3
For everything in our Chad White stable, click here!

Or perhaps they’re photographer Francois Rousseau‘s fantasies. Rousseau takes model of the moment Chad White bareback in the next issue of Out.

Chad_white_2 Chad_white_3

Let’s just hope he puts that riding crop to good use.

Chad_white_4 Chad_white_5

As White moves toward complete print domination, he’s also featured in new ads from Diesel and American Eagle. And yes, that may be the first time we’ve ever seen a smile.

Chad_white_6 Chad_white_7

Daniel Radcliffe is currently starring in Equus on the London stage. He will reportedly be replaced by Billy Elliot actor Jamie Bell. Radcliffe is set to reprise his role on Broadway. As of yet, Mr. White has not been recruited.

If you’ll remember, Francois Rousseau shot the first Dieux du Stade calendar. Check out his website here.

Comments

1. Brian says

I love Chad White’s body type… long, lithe, and not too bulky. Nicely proportioned. Nice to see guys who don’t look super roided out…

2. Alex says

I believe the Jamie Bell rumour was shot down a couple of weeks ago, but there is still one of Daniel Radcliffe coming to New York to perform in 2008 with the rest of the cast, after the filming of his next movie.

3. says

I’d prefer a worthy community or business activist on the cover of Out, or a GLBT politician. I think the idea that they need someone attractive or famous on the cover to push magazine sales is a load of crap, and just a sorry excuse for not marketing even the slightest bit more creatively.

4. 24play says

Yes, yes! Put a gay business “activist” (whatever that is) on the cover of Out. The magazine will fly off newsstands!

Get a grip. Decades of newsstand data show that celebrity, sex, and Jesus sell magazines. In this country, at least.

5. Br!on says

Yes! The perfect body with no penis! Like playing with a Ken doll. Snore.
    It’s called Out magazine! O-U-T. Didn’t they ask the loyal readers of this blog what they wanted? And the number one comment was gay people on the cover?

P l e a s e Maria.

6. Joey says

There’s something about this boy; I can’t put my finger on it, but he gets me more worked up than ANYONE I’ve seen in the past 5 years. Beautiful…just beautiful.

7. peterparker says

Even sexier than the pics of him shirtless is the photo of him in riding pants and sweater standing next to the horse. I’m having fantasies about ripping those clothes off of him and de-flowering him in a bale of hay.

8. Gregg says

Hello folks! Do you really not think they could find a hot gay model? Have you ever walked around Chelsea? West Hollywood? Almost any gayborhood? Beautiful gay men abound.

There is no reason to avoid putting gay people on the cover of a gay magazine. I applaud “Instinct” for keeping beautiful gays front and center.

9. SGR says

It’s one thing to have a famous hot straight guy on the cover. You can make the excuse that his fame will lead to increased sales.

But when you have an obscure hot straight guy on the cover, your argument fails. You could have had an obscure hot gay guy, but you chose to go with an obscure hot straight guy. I second Gregg–there’s no shortage of obscure hot gay men. And if you’re going to put a straight guy on the cover, he better be really famous to make it worth it.

I’ve said this before: Ebony could sure sell a lot more copies if they had Jennifer Aniston on the cover. But they’ll never stoop so low. They respect their audience. It says something about “Out” that they fail, time and time again, to find gay men for their covers.

I too I applaud “Instinct” for putting actual gay men on the cover of a magazine for gay men.

10. Gregg says

24play – perhaps you know the names of all models out there. I personally do not. They’re generally known for their faces/bods, not their names.

11. SGR says

It doesn’t have to be gay fashion models (who tend to be very young, and, as such, are seldom out). And if it’s a choice between an obscure but hot fashion model who is straight, and an obscure but hot gay man, why not pick the gay man? It is called “Out,” after all. Neither of them are famous enough to make a difference when it comes to sales. It’s just a choice between a straight guy who is hot and a gay guy who is hot. Time and time again, they have an obscure straight guy on the cover.

In the past few months, “Instict” has had Bobby Boyd and JP Calderone on covers. They don’t seem to have a hard time finding hot gay guys. There are a number of out gay fitness models who are hot as hell. Who could do with the exposure. And we could all do with the encouragement that being gay and out (and hot) is what gets you a cover, and not just being a hot but straight guy.

12. 24play says

SGR,

This cover photo is part of a shoot done for a fashion spread. Therefore, you need either a professional model or a gorgeous undiscovered talent who has the photo-appeal to be a model (which few humans have), and is 5’10” to 6’2″, has a 31- or 32-inch waist and size 10-12 feet.

Fitness models (who I believe make up most of the cover models for Instinct, and certainly DNA) are lovely. But they’re not an option for fashion shoots involving anything more than swimwear or panties because very few of them can fit into sample-size clothes. (Calderone, I know, is a fashion model, but he was just on Instinct’s cover, so Out would nix him right now. Billy Boyd I’m unfamiliar with.)

Out tries to cover fashion as seriously as GQ or Details—on a budget a micro-fraction of the size. Like them, it uses fashion models for its fashion spreads. Unlike them, it frequently takes images from those spreads for the cover.

Sure, it would be great to use out models as often as possible. But until agencies start listing sexual orientation on their models’comp cards, how fair is it to expect Out to use only gay models? Some agencies refuse to let their models appear on gay covers. And fashion photographers (especially the big names) like to pick their own models (with no regard for sexual orientation).

For this cover, Out has a great photo of one of the top 5 male models working today. And, as a reader of this site, I’m sure you know Chad is a model many, many gay men are fans of. I think if Out’s doing a cover using a photo from a fashion shoot, Chad’s an excellent choice of model.

13. Jimmy says

Chad is gorgeous, and he will sell magazines. I wouldn’t have a problem with a straight guy on the cover except for the fact that Chad is gracing Out’s GAY PRIDE issue. Or maybe Out has just gone so metrosexual that it has forgotten what June is?

14. Gregg says

Yes, yes, 24play. I’m sure that Chad was the only available and qualified model in the entire world. I’m sure that Out would get absolutely no submissions from modeling agencies if they requested gay models.

It would take very little effort on Out’s part to find a qualified gay model in a field like MALE MODELING! It’s not like we’re talking about finding an out gay NFL player or something. Jeez.

This is not about one cover. It is about Out continuing its legacy of pandering and putting mostly straight people on the cover of a GAY magazine. If one of the most widely circulated gay magazines today cannot find qualified gay talent, what does that say about the gay community in general? That we are unqualified losers who aren’t worthy of media attention? Out should be celebrating gay identity, not perpetuating the “straight is better/hotter” stereotype.

I will say that, in my opinion, Out has improved overall lately. But this area of cover photography is still sadly lacking.

15. 24play says

Gregg,

Okay, way up above you snidely declared that people don’t know models’ names, just their bodies/faces.

I’d agree with your generalization. I ask you then: If we can’t be bothered to know a model’s name, do we really need to know his sexual orientation?

I’m talking in this thread specifically about models on Out’s covers here, not celebrities. I would agree that, even given a dearth of talented out celebrities, Out could do a better job of choosing out actors, musicians, designers, directors, etc. for their covers. (As I’ve noted before on here, Out featured Scissor Sisters INSIDE the magazine when their first album was released, and didn’t deem them worthy of a cover until six months later—when it could do little to boost their album sales.) But I don’t give a rat’s ass about the sexuality of a cover model.

From my experience, a fashion shoot is the most difficult element to pull off in a consumer magazine (with investigative pieces a distant second). There are so many variables involved, so many players, and it all has to come together in a very short window of time.

And while having the right model for a fashion shoot is critical, it’s NOT about the models. It’s about the fashion and the photographer. I think it would make more sense if you were all up in arms about the cover PHOTOGRAPHER not being gay, or the DESIGNER of the clothing on the cover model not being out. That’s where the major talent lies, that’s what the photographs are about, and that’s where you might realistically expect to find your gay role model—if you so desperately need one.

As for Out perpetuating a “straight is better/hotter” stereotype, do you think there would be some other model on this cover if Chad White were an out gay man? Would they have passed over one of the hottest models today (both in terms of look AND career) because he’s gay and gone with a less attractive/talented staright model? Fuck no. That part of your argument is patently false.

P.S. Looked up Bobby Boyd. Very handsome West Hollywood-type. He may get a fair amount of catalog work, but he is far, far removed from Chad White’s league. And while I congratulate Instinct for having a gay-only cover-model policy, do we really want to read interview with all of them? I certainly don’t.

16. SGR says

“But I don’t give a rat’s ass about the sexuality of a cover model.”

That’s just it. I think a lot of gay people do care to have an actual out gay person on the cover of the gay magazine Out.

We keep hearing all sorts of excuses for why this can’t be the case. For years, it was: well, we need celebrities to sell magazines. But a straight actor on a British soap on BBCAmerica is hardly a celebrity. Out’s had a number of not-exactly-famous straight actors on the cover. As Gregg said, this is not about one cover; it’s about a legacy of putting straight people on the cover of a gay magazine.

Now we’re told Out’s goal in the June Pride month issue is to cover fashion seriously. And to that aim, they put a hot straight male model on the cover.

Fine. But to be taken seriously as a fashion book, Out should aim to be ahead of, and not behind, the curve. The French gay mag Tetu had Chad on the cover of great issue way back in late ’05 or early ’06, and the pictures were original and amazing. His star-making turn was the June ’06 L’Uomo Vogue. No offense, but it’s kind of slumming to be on the cover of Out in June ’07. Especially on a horse (something that Steven Klein and others have done to death for over a year). No one thinks of Out when they think of fashion. And that’s because Out isn’t original. New magazines with even less money than Out has regularly blow them out of the water (Fantastic Man at the moment).

17. SGR says

And, yeah, I’m sure no one knew Bobby Boyd before that Instinct cover, and I’m not even sure he’s a real model. But he’s gay, and I want to support gay magazines that celebrate gay men. I buy fashion magazines for fashion; I buy gay magazines to read about gay people.

I disagree that the photographer or the designer make the cover. It’s the cover subject. Most readers never bother finding out who the photographer is and what clothes the subject is wearing. Look at this towleroad post: it’s all about Chad White.

18. 24play says

SGR,

If it’s really important to you that the cover model on a gay magazine be gay, well, enjoy Instinct then. Personally, I like to have some content inside a magazine.

As for comparing Out’s fashion coverage to the fashion in European men’s magazines, if you know when Chad White was on the cover of Vogue Homme, you know it’s entirely unfair to compare American men’s magazines to European ones. Europe is light years ahead of America. The audiences are hugely different. And in Europe, readers would be talking about the photographer and fashion, as well as the model, on the cover.

19. 24play says

Oh my god! I just found out the horse in the photo is NOT gay. How dare Out!

How difficult is it to find a GAY horse to put on the cover of a GAY magazine? There are plenty of GAY horses out there!

Okay, enough bitchery for today. I’m off to work out at my GAY gym and ogle the GAY trainers and have the GAY porters clean up after me. The flat-screen TVs had better all be tuned to LOGO!

20. JASON KANNER says

GOOD MORNING TOWLEROAD
    I AM CHAD WHITE’S AGENT, AND HAVE BEEN SINCE HE STARTED MODELING IN NYC

WHEN THIS SHOOT WAS PITCHED TO ME, IT WAS ALWAYS FRANCOIS’S VISION TO HAVE CHAD DO THIS. IT WAS NEVER FOR A DEFINITE COVER, BUT THE PROSPECT OF A “COVER TRY” WAS AN OPTION.
    I MADE A CHOICE TO HAVE CHAD MISS THE FIRST DAY OF NY FASHION WEEK IN FEBUARY IN ORDER TO LET HIM SHOOT THIS STORY.
    AS AN AGENT OF TOP MALE TALENT (WWW.MAJORMODELMANAGEMENT.COM)
    I CAN TELL YOU, VERY FEW MODELS ARE ACTUALLY GAY, AND THE FEW THAT ARE RARELY COME OUT. IT WOULD BE NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE EXCLUSIVELY GAY MODELS WORKING FOR GAY PUBLICATIONS. I CHOOSE TO LET MY GUYS WORK FOR THESE MAGS (OUT, TETU, GENRE, PREF) BECAUSE THE PICS USUALLY ARE QUITE HOT, AND ITS ALL ABOUT THE MODEL..SO FOR AN AGENT, ITS ALLOWS FOR A GENIUS PIC.
    I HOPE THIS CLEARS SOME OF THIS UP
    BY THE WAY, LOVE THE SITE
    SORRY FOR THE CAPS
    JASON KANNER
    DIRECTOR, MAJOR MODELS NYC

21. Toby says

Er, does it matter if some mag in Europe had Chad last summer? What kind of Heidi Klum criteria is that for a magazine? One minute you’re in, the next minute you’re out? Chad has been a major fixture on catwalks in 2007; his moment isn’t over just because fancy pants L’Uomo Vogue did him already. And fashion is 90% styling and photography; in that department Out is sometimes patchy, but there have been flashes of brilliance – the amazing lesbian photographer Cass Bird, for example, whose work has been in out three or four times in the last year.

22. Gregg says

24PLAY:
    “As for Out perpetuating a “straight is better/hotter” stereotype That part of your argument is patently false.”

The point is that Chad is straight. He is not gay, and your straw-man argument does not nullify my point.

JASON KANNER:
    “I CAN TELL YOU, VERY FEW MODELS ARE ACTUALLY GAY, AND THE FEW THAT ARE RARELY COME OUT. IT WOULD BE NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE EXCLUSIVELY GAY MODELS WORKING FOR GAY PUBLICATIONS.”

Hmmm, and why do we think that is? Perhaps because of homophobia? Homophobia perpetuated by Out magazine.

To get back to reality, we are talking about models here, not world leaders. But the issues raised still highlight how homophobia keeps gay people “in their place”. Out is not helping this issue.