France | Jake Gyllenhaal | News | Transportation

Exclusive: Jake Gyllenhaal Takes the Eurostar

Eurostar1_4

A Towleroad tipster was riding on the Eurostar train between Paris and London yesterday, and sent in these photos of a sleepy Jake Gyllenhaal riding in the same car. I think we may have the first-ever photos of a sleeping Gyllenhaal.

Eurostar2_3

You may have missed...
Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo Near Kiss at Cannes [tr]

Comments

1. Not that I don't love the photos...

but I think it's creepy to snap them and then send them off to someone to put on the internet. I mean, no offense to Andy, but if I was in this situation I'd probably take a cell-photo too, but just for myself and to show off and brag to a few friends, of course.

Posted by: Derrick | May 23, 2007 1:49:22 PM

2. David E. that is what makes them creepy. He's not doing anything. He's just there yet he has to be subjected to this crap. If he was doing something then we could be like, well here's a person trying to make a buck capturing the rare moment, but no here. It's way way way beneath Andy, even with his JG obsession.

Posted by: Mike | May 23, 2007 2:03:34 PM

3. yes this may be a bit taboid-y, but i am sure andy has the opportunity to post many such photos and chooses (wisely) not to.

you can't be a regular reader of this site and not know andy has a thing for jake...which i appreciate!

Posted by: JB | May 23, 2007 2:04:25 PM

4. So Mike, you are basically saying that it's okay to take a photo if you are looking to make a buck off it? Now THAT's creepy.

Posted by: mitch | May 23, 2007 2:07:56 PM

5. Tacky and creepy. I would never want my picture secretly taken and plastered on the interwebs like that.

Just because other publications do it all the time doesn't make it right. The public doesn't "own" celebrities. Everyone should have a right to something resembling a personal life when they're "off the clock", and it shouldn't require a private island.

Posted by: Rich | May 23, 2007 2:08:16 PM

6. Unarguably creepy and tacky.

Posted by: Anita Woodward | May 23, 2007 2:14:45 PM

7. These are actually more flattering than many of his staged photos. For that he should be thankful.

Posted by: anon | May 23, 2007 2:21:17 PM

8. I vote for creepy ... even though I know he was in a public place and he was fair game. Still ... just rubs me the wrong way.

Posted by: Keith | May 23, 2007 2:27:30 PM

9. Perhaps these pics should have been captioned "Eurostar upholstery detail" and "Eurostar beverage service" or something...

Posted by: Niel | May 23, 2007 2:37:12 PM

10. He obviously could have afforded or decided to take private transport. He chose not to.

While it would be creepy to me and i wouldn't have put myself in that position. (Or become a movie star for that matter, but there are many other reasons for that not happening.) This is part of the deal.

I've not heard of him complaining about the attention that he clearly enjoys courting. And, as a public figure/celebrity, having photos taken when in public is part of the deal...or that's what they usually hope for.

If he were arguing it, i'd say you can't have it both ways. Just two days ago he was part of a publicity tease involving a fake man-on-man kiss with co-star Mark Ruffalo in Cannes to ensure that his pictures would be taken and would be given prominance for the film he's promoting. http://www.buzztracker.com/permalink/28675/33173104/Jake-Gyllenhaal-and-Mark-Ruffalo-Near-Kiss-at-Cannes.

Rest assured he's well compensated for giving up some of his privacy and that he has options.

Good of you all to stand up for his honor though.

And again, i dont' hear Jake arguing that things should be differently. I get the feeling he has fun with it, appreciates all the benefits that come from his success, while being very much aware of the tradeoffs for his life. Money, fame and the adulation and too much attention from a bunch of gay guys in exchange for not beign able to be private while in public seems like a deal he's made and is fine with.

Posted by: phill | May 23, 2007 2:37:33 PM

11. I'm not sure about the photos as well. I live in Brooklyn and was at a take out place when Heath Leadger and Michelle Williams with their baby, came in. I could have taken out my camera phone and grabbed a picture but it just didn't feel right doing it.

Posted by: Mike G | May 23, 2007 2:38:50 PM

12. No Mitch, I'm not saying that. What I said was people would realize what the money whore was doing. This is just creepy.

Posted by: Mike | May 23, 2007 2:50:50 PM

13. Well this explains why Anderson Cooper wears a towle um... towel to remove his manties at his gym. I am going to have to side with creepy though in this not an unexpected price to pay for admission.

Posted by: Giovanni | May 23, 2007 2:57:11 PM

14. ...in this CASE not an unexpected price pay for admission (to the fame club that is)

Posted by: Giovanni | May 23, 2007 3:01:31 PM

15. For those of you who don't see anything wrong with these photos, I ask this:

If Jake's fair game and he's on a public train and it's just part of his job as a celebrity and this in no way resembles stalking...

...why hide the camera between seats?

Posted by: mark m | May 23, 2007 3:22:52 PM

16. the votes are in... and seems that this post should be deleted.

Posted by: A.J. | May 23, 2007 3:46:22 PM

17. I vote creepy.

For those of you who don't get it, it's not about what Jake wants or expresses, it's about us, as a society and what is proper behavior.

Mark M has a good point.

Also, if you don't think it's creepy, then why don't you take secret photos of your co-workers in a public arena. See how they react.

Posted by: Frozen North | May 23, 2007 4:01:55 PM

18. Phil, "He obviously could have afforded or decided to take private transport. He chose not to."

Traveling on Eurostar rather than taking the short flight between Paris and London produces a smaller carbon footprint. The Eurostar website claims that flying the same distance produces ten times as much CO2 per passenger. So Jake might have chosen to do his part to be green(er).

Posted by: Louis | May 23, 2007 4:02:04 PM

19. A.J., I would agree that this post should be taken down but it has made its way all around the internet already. As much as I love Jake and I love this blog, I think these pics are invasive. Celeb or not, everyone deserves some privacy. The guy can't even take a nap in private!

Posted by: RS | May 23, 2007 4:06:44 PM

20. Anyone heard from Jake? I bet he doesnt' care much. I didn't see these kinds of comments about the Brittney spears photos. If anything shouldn't someone be able to have a breakdown in private? I didn't even see these types of comments about outing Anderson and Jodie who have made it clear that they actually care.

And I missed where this blog wants a few fantasizing, anonymous guys home during work hours to vote posts on or off for the millions of other readers.

Fine, we know you think you'd be annoyed as his boyfriend sitting on the train with him. But, this is why they do it. The attention. He was coming from Cannes. Tons of privacy there.not.

Rest assured the honor of this strong, well-compensated, self-sufficient white guy who can do whatever he wants (including drag on national television without reproach) is well protected. How about directing this intense nurturing and sense of outrage toward folks who are really having their right to be in public impinged.

Go vote some homophobic posts off another blog. Go protect some effeminate kids from being bullied...ones who don't have a film opening or a photo opp scheduled daily.

And if this were Ann Coulter? Boy George? KFed with his fly open? Would you be as protective? Or catty, girl-hating, and self-loathing

Posted by: Rog | May 23, 2007 4:24:13 PM

21. yeah, color me very turned off. while it doesn't qualify as stalking, it certainly is beyond some line I didn't know existed.
    To me, it invades the guys privacy in a really primal way. Sleep, even in an public setting is an unguarded moment for any of us. Would the pictaker have snapped him taking a leak? There's just gotta be some ability to know when it's too much.

I don't think there's any sense deleting the post, it's gone, it's already on other sights and cached no doubt a million times. Nor do I blame AT for posting it; but it should lead to a deeper sensitivity about where to draw that faint line of propriety.

I don't want to live in a world where a guy like JG can't ride on a train without having his privacy trampled on.

Posted by: brian | May 23, 2007 4:35:45 PM

22. COULD WE FIND OUT WHO JAKIE WAS WITH?

One of my friends went to Columbia University with Jakie and said he never dated anyone there...seems strange he is only ever "attached" to famous women who probably share the same publicist. There was some other guy that Perez Hilton (I know yuck) was always connecting him with.

Posted by: tony | May 23, 2007 4:51:47 PM

23. Rog, yes there were plenty of posts on other blogs that didn't like the pictures of Britney shaving her head or in rehab, etc. That felt it an invasion of her privacy. And I saw people having issues with the Anderson/Jodie. And if Anderson and Jodie had such issues with the magazine cover I am sure they could voice them. However, just because Jake is a celeb I would hardly compare him to the disgusting Coulter or Kfed. Jake is a respected actor and even if he does publicity for a movie, as all actors do, doesn't mean he shouldn't be left alone on a train trying to sleep. I would not want to see pics of Britney, Lindsay or anyone else sleeping without their knowledge. Even if the those girls are fame hounds.

Posted by: TJ | May 23, 2007 5:05:44 PM

24. Rog,

I see you managed to talk more about the people posting here, their motivations or lack thereof, than to answer the simple question:

If there's nothing wrong with these photos, why did the photographer hide his camera?

Posted by: mark m | May 23, 2007 5:09:27 PM

25. What a bunch of animals. It's ok if you like him, and watch all of his films, but leave the man alone personally, it's his life, NOT YOURS. Freaks.

Posted by: Ryan | May 23, 2007 6:59:37 PM