Jerry Falwell | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Reverend Jerry Falwell Has Died at 73

The Reverend Jerry Falwell has died after being found "unresponsive" in his office at Liberty University this morning. He was rushed to the hospital according to MSNBC:

Falwell"Ron Godwin, Liberty's executive vice president, said Falwell, 73, had been found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and was taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but noted that Falwell 'has a history of heart challenges.'...'I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast,' Godwin said. 'He went to his office, I went to mine and they found him unresponsive.' Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority in 1979, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later founded the conservative Liberty University and served as its chancellor."

The televangelist had a long history of spewing hate toward the gay community. During the AIDS crisis he declared, "AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals." And following 9/11 he appeared on Pat Robertson's 700 Club and said "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

Falwell was pronounced dead just after noon after CPR and other efforts to revive him failed.

Comments

1. I pray that he'll be shown more compassion and grace than he showed so many.

Posted by: Jon | May 15, 2007 1:42:16 PM

2. um, okay, I'll be the first one to say it: Ding, Dong, the Witch Is Dead, the Witch Is Dead, the Witch Is Dead!

Posted by: Martin | May 15, 2007 1:43:21 PM

3. May God have mercy on his soul.

I can't deny that I think the world will be better off without him.

Posted by: Zeke | May 15, 2007 1:43:34 PM

4. Wow... My prayers have finally been answered.

Posted by: Michael | May 15, 2007 1:43:58 PM

5. Sad. I know everyone will get mad at me for saying that but it is always sad when someone dies that has not changed from their bigoted viewpoint.

Posted by: Matt | May 15, 2007 1:44:25 PM

6. Good riddance.

Posted by: chrisb | May 15, 2007 1:45:13 PM

7. Yeah, I can't say I will mourn his passing with a "straight" face.

Posted by: Marco | May 15, 2007 1:45:14 PM

8. May I just say
    "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Posted by: Ken | May 15, 2007 1:45:22 PM

9. May God forgive him, because I surely cannot.

Posted by: sam | May 15, 2007 1:48:48 PM

10. Yes, sad that someone died, sad that he lived as a hater, not so sad that one less bigot is among us though you just know someone has already stepped in to take his place.

Posted by: JR | May 15, 2007 1:49:53 PM

11. Since there is no god, heaven or hell we know Falwell isn't in heaven (the good news) but he's not in hell either (the bad news).

Posted by: Richard Gawkins | May 15, 2007 1:50:14 PM

12. It is sad that he died.

But it is sadder that his legacy will live on.

Posted by: Matt | May 15, 2007 1:51:35 PM

13. Hmm...the Universe does experience Karmic Re-balancing. And now we can see whom among the GOP and the Dhimmicrats goes crawling to the festivities, ...I mean the solemn rites to suck-up to his acolytes.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 15, 2007 1:51:36 PM

14. I find no joy in Falwell's death, but I do find relief. At long last his hateful voice is silenced.

May Falwell find that his god is as merciless and intolerant as Falwell himself was throughout his life. I can only hope that somehow, somewhere the universe metes out the karmic punishment that Falwell so richly deserves for the many cruel and hateful things he has said and done over his 73 years.

Posted by: Jonathon | May 15, 2007 1:51:37 PM

15. Does anyone know what the exacta pays if Pat Robertson goes today too?

Posted by: Bettor | May 15, 2007 1:51:44 PM

16. Choice Quotes from Falwell:

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

“The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country”

“If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being”

“The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability”

“I do question the sincerity of People like the Reverend Martin Luther King...”

“I hope to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we don't have public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them.”

(Re: 9/11 attacks) “...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen.”
    _______________________

I say fire up the disco tunes, boys. It's time to dance on a grave.

Posted by: adamblast | May 15, 2007 1:52:26 PM

17. ROT IN HELL BITCH

Posted by: CHUX | May 15, 2007 1:56:12 PM

18. I like to think that I have compassion for all life, but now that he no longer qualifies for the living I just have to say good riddance, the world is better without that PoS.

I'm not looking forward to the media retrospective s painting him in a mostly (if not completely...ahem, fox news...cough) positive light. But such is the way we deal with the dead in this overly-sensitive country.

Posted by: JohnJohn | May 15, 2007 1:56:29 PM

19. That 9/11 quote from his own wretched mouth:

Posted by: John C | May 15, 2007 1:56:34 PM

20. Happy Birthday Andy!

And all I got was a tie and dinner at Outback for my birthday!

Posted by: Zeke | May 15, 2007 1:57:25 PM

21. Thanks, Matt. I win my bet with myself that you would weigh in for the Castrati.

Many thanks for the list, AdamBlast. It could, of course, be even longer, including his 1987 fund raising letter in which he claimed that gays with AIDS were purposely donating blood because "they know they are going to die—and they are going to take as many people with them as they can."

Some might remember that even enough mainstream people were outraged by his and Pat Robertson's discussion about the causes of 9/11 that they publicly apologized. But few are aware that two weeks later a letter went out over his son's name asking for donations because liberals and gay activists had “launched a vicious smear campaign to discredit” his father.

Maybe my own prayers are finally being answered. D. James Kennedy, the Falwell of the Southeast, the rabidly homohating head of the multimillion dollar Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church empire in Ft. Lauderdale had a massive heart attack in December and is still unable to speak—a ruthless liar literally silenced [but you can catch him in reruns]. His Washington lobbying office was recently closed.

Excuse me: I have candles to light for Robertson and about 100 others.

Posted by: Leland | May 15, 2007 1:59:56 PM

22. I just picture him, wide-eyed, standing in front of the Throne as God looks at him. Of course, God is a black, lesbian amputee Democrat... Hope she tells him that the "Village People" room is ready and waiting for him!

Posted by: Keith | May 15, 2007 2:00:08 PM

23. The defibrillator guy must have had the day of.

Wonder how he'll explain himself when he gets to where he's going.

Posted by: Mike_in_Lancaster | May 15, 2007 2:01:51 PM

24. Leland,

Grow up. I never said what he said was right. It was totally wrong and hate filled. I'm better than him just like most of the people are better than him. Is it wrong to have compassion for ones enemy? To wish they had changed and seen a better side before he died? What the hell is wrong with you?

Posted by: Matt | May 15, 2007 2:03:48 PM

25. Larry Flynt is doing wheelies! He outlived that m-f.

Posted by: GM | May 15, 2007 2:06:11 PM