Gay Slurs | Howard Bragman | Isaiah Washington | Television

Breaking: Isaiah Washington Fired from Grey's Anatomy

TV Guide's Michael Ausiello broke the story a few hours ago on the website,  "An ABC Studios spokesperson confirms that the actor's
contract option has not been picked up, but declined further comment."

WashingtonHis sources said it was, "likely due only in part to the T.R. Knight homophobic slur scandal and the subsequent fallout. "There was a pattern of problematic behavior going back before he used the F-word," says my spy. "I imagine [his dismissal] was the result of all of that.

Washington's spokesperson Howard Bragman further confirmed it later this  evening.

Somewhat inappropriately, Washington's only comment has been  to quote the movie Network, saying, "I'm mad as hell and am not going to take it any more." And while I didn't hear him speak, it seems to fit with his inauthentic renditions a quick demi-apology and a psa with GLAAD last week.

Andy's traveling and is in a later time zone, but i'm sure will have more in the morning.

Comments

1. Even though it's "due only in part to the T.R. Knight homophobic slur" I hope it will help send the message that the F-word is on par with the N-word in terms of hate speech.

Posted by: Aman About Town | Jun 8, 2007 4:09:49 AM

2. Wow, I came online to grab a link about another story and saw this.

While I'm glad it finally happened, I still say shame on ABC and the producers for it taking so long to happen.

Posted by: gabriel | Jun 8, 2007 4:21:41 AM

3. Finally, justice is served!

What really bothered me about this whole situation was Washington's denial that he'd ever said it. As if attacking a coworker weren't bad enough, the least he should have done was own up to his bad behavior. Grey's is one of my favorite shows and I'm thrilled that I no longer have to watch Washington on it.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 8, 2007 5:43:22 AM

4. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! (Now, if only we could get rid of Bush Co.)

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 8, 2007 5:43:30 AM

5. I'm glad the producers got rid of him. I hope T.R. Knight sticks around for another season.

Posted by: Brayden | Jun 8, 2007 7:25:16 AM

6. TR is around for another season-with a nice raise I might add. As far as Mr. Washington, don't let the closet door hit you in the ass. See ya.

Posted by: otto | Jun 8, 2007 7:29:34 AM

7. Wow - Washington is repped by Bragman? Bragman of the largest gay-owned PR firm in the world? Has he always worked for him or was this a cynical move based on the 'faggot' fallout?

Posted by: Rey | Jun 8, 2007 8:41:22 AM

8. Quoting a famous line from the film Network as your "comment" from your publicist?? Yeah Isaiah, you're so profound. Still doesn't make you a good human being. How tacky.

Posted by: Sparty | Jun 8, 2007 8:47:18 AM

9. Good. Now ditch the rest of that dimwit show. The whole show's idea was stolen from "Scrubs", just with an added multi-ethnic cast (still no Jew or Indian or Japanese on the staff- how believable is that?) with a lot of hip songs and talkity-talk at the end("..why do we want to become doctors...why do we do it..?" blah blah). And that Asian lady with the dumb-looking sad-sack face! Ugh.

Posted by: Joe T. | Jun 8, 2007 9:19:00 AM

10. Revenge is a dish best served cold

I hope he freezes his ass off!

Posted by: stephen | Jun 8, 2007 9:57:22 AM

11. Hopefully this will make a lot of you race-baiters happy. No flames please: I realize for a lot of folk their disgust at Washington's language and behavior was genuine and had had nothing to do with race. HOWEVER, when this whole mess started a whole lot of people couldn't wait to show their true colors.

Posted by: James | Jun 8, 2007 10:09:19 AM

12. James, I agree.

Hopefully this will put a rest to an ugly incident and the even uglier discussions and debates that followed.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 8, 2007 10:14:30 AM

13. I'm sorry he was fired. I always thought, and still believe, that the most fitting way to deal with Washington's behavior was to have his character become bisexual ... and let him feel the sting of being beaten up because he's gay; trying to get health benefits for his partner; lose the love and support of family members after coming out. If they had let him (and his character) experience this he MIGHT have gotten a better lesson than blathering a few insincere apologies, and the viewing audience would have gotten an interesting twist in the Grey's story.

Posted by: paul h. | Jun 8, 2007 10:19:36 AM

14. Actually, Joe T., the "Asian lady with the dumb-looking sad-sack face" (played by the always spot-on Sandrah Oh) is Jewish on the show. Sure, it's no Scrubs, but it's not that bad.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jun 8, 2007 10:20:55 AM

15. It's good and everything...I guess. But sometimes I get the feeling that I *really* need to watch what I say *everywhere* I go or else my life could be *destroyed.* Memo to self: no more drinking in public places and definitely no drinking with co-workers.

Posted by: don | Jun 8, 2007 10:31:09 AM

16. JOE T -- Maybe they don't put ethic minorities on the show because people like you will make ridiculous, uninformed remarks about their intelligence because you don't like the way they look.

I was with you on the "Why no Japanese or Indian" thing until you showed us all that no angle you espouse could ever be born of any mature consideration.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jun 8, 2007 11:00:02 AM

17. Hey kids, let's all start our stopwatches now and see how long it takes Mr. Washington to decry "racism" as the reason for his firing--if he hasn't already. You're so right to be mad as hell, Isaiah, the world owes you a living! (That's sarcasm, for the uninitiated.)

Posted by: Andy | Jun 8, 2007 11:11:02 AM

18. This decision on the part of ABC was not right. Mr. Washington apologized, did public service announcements and attended a anger managment class. He did his time and rectified his error. What type of message does this send?

I have to see this from two sides, while I am gay, I am also a person of color. What I see is another POC out of a job and in the end...he's learned that all this was for nothing because he lost his job anyway.

Posted by: Osvaldo | Jun 8, 2007 11:27:26 AM

19. Isaiah will find work in the theater or movies(and made for Cable TV movies)--he may have to leave network television alone for a while.

After all this, I still believe that a substantial number of white gay people are NOT racists, recognize when they're thinking racist and work against it. I've meant too many decent white gay folks not to believe that. But I've also learned that many white gays are racists, and practice racism and bigotry whenever they get the opportunity. Still, I'd feel safer at a Gay Pride Festival than I would at a St. Patrick's Day Parade, or Columbus Day Parade, or that frickin' Mummer's Parade foolishness we have every New Year's Day here in Philly.

When I'm around white people I am black and gay; when I'm around black people I am gay and black. I didn't decide that, it just is.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 8, 2007 11:32:09 AM

20. Isaiah's difficulty as an actor may or may not be true. The fact is there is quite a bit of speculation regarding his contract not being renewed. Anyone stop to think that maybe his character on the show had run his course? Sure they could have written some new twist (loved the bisexual idea), but the truth is his character was getting a little boring. Maybe they were just done with it. Just a thought.

Posted by: JR | Jun 8, 2007 12:30:28 PM

21. No, Andy, lets see how long it takes for the white posters to use this occasion as an excuse to spew racism, and a certain somebody subsequently moaning about no time to inspect 6,000 posts to remove the evidence.

Posted by: 00000 | Jun 8, 2007 12:51:32 PM

22. Rey...Washington hired Howard Bragman as his publicist after the incident where he was called on the carpet for saying "I want to be gay!" at the Emmys. Bragman was quoted as saying that he had a substantive conversation with Washington and truly believed that Washington wanted to atone for his sins and become more tolerant.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 8, 2007 1:50:08 PM

23. Kudos to ABC for actually doing the right thing. I'm sure this is overly altruistic of me, but hopefully this will set a standard for ethics in business. A boy can dream.

Meanwhile, let the countdown to Washington vs. ABC Television begin. It's only a matter of time before our tax dollars go to work trying to get this asshat some kind of wrongful termination settlement.

Posted by: John | Jun 8, 2007 2:01:30 PM

24. All of this discussion is fine and everything, but what on earth does it have to do with Paris Hilton?

THAT'S the most pressing topic of the day, as everyone in the world knows!

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 8, 2007 3:20:06 PM

25. All of this discussion is fine and everything, but what on earth does it have to do with Paris Hilton?

THAT'S the most pressing topic of the day, as everyone in the world knows!

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 8, 2007 3:26:05 PM