Ann Coulter | Election 2008 | Elizabeth Edwards | John Edwards | News

BigGayDeal.com

Elizabeth Edwards to Ann Coulter: Stop the Personal Attacks

Elizabeth Edwards called in to Hardball with Chris Matthews to tell Ann Coulter to stop the personal attacks against her husband and her family and deal with the issues.

Chris Matthews: You know who's on the line? Somebody to respond to what you said Edwards yesterday morning -- Elizabeth Edwards. She wanted to call in today we said she could. Elizabeth Edwards go on the line you're on the line with Ann Coulter

Elizabeth Edwards: Hello, Chris.

Matthews: You wanna say something directly to the person who's with me?

Edwards: I'm calling you … in the South when someone does something that displeases us, we wanna ask them politely to stop doing it. Uh - I'd like to ask Ann Coulter -- if she wants to debate on issues, on positions -- we certainly disagree with nearly everything she said on your show today -- but uh it's quite another matter for these personal attacks that the things she has said over the years not just about John but about other candidates. It lowers our political dialogue precisely at the time that we need to raise it. So I want to use the opportunity … to ask her politely stop the personal attacks.

Ann Coulter: OK, so I made a joke -- let's see six months ago -- and as you point out they've been raising money off of it for six months since then.

Matthews: This is yesterday morning, what you said about him.

Coulter: I didn't say anything about him actually either time.

Edwards: Ann, you know that's not true. And once more its been going on for sometime.

Coulter: I don't mind you trying to raise money. I mean it's better this than giving $50,000 speeches to the poor.

Edwards: I'm asking you.

Coulter: Just to use my name on the Web pages…

Edwards: I'm asking you politely…

Coulter: ...but as for a debate with me, um yeah, sure. Yeah, we'll have a debate

Edwards: I'm asking you politely to stop personal attacks.

Coulter: How bout you stop raising money on the Web page then?

Edwards: It didn't start it did not...

Coulter: No you don't have cause I don't mind

Edwards: It did not start with that you had a column a number of years ago

Coulter: OK, great the wife of a presidential candidate is calling in asking me to stop speaking...

Matthews: Let her finish the point...

Coulter: You're asking me to stop speaking, stop writing columns, stop writing your books.

Matthews: OK, Ann. Please.

Coulter: OK

Edwards: You wrote a column a couple years ago which made fun of the moment of Charlie Dean's death, and suggested that my husband had a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said ask me about my dead son. This is not legitimate political dialogue.

Coulter: That's now three years ago --

Edwards: It debases political dialogue. It drives people away from the process. We can't have a debate about issues if you're using this kind of language.

Coulter: Yeah why isn't John Edwards making this call?

Matthews: Well do you want to respond and we'll end this conversation?

Edwards: I haven't talked to John about this call.

Coulter: This is just another attempt for –

Edwards: I'm making this call as a mother. I'm the mother of that boy who died. My children participate -- these young people behind you are the age of my children. You're asking them to participate in a dialogue that's based on hatefulness and ugliness instead of on the issues and I don't think that's serving them or this country very well.

[The crowd applauds]

Matthews: Thank you very much Elizabeth Edwards. (To Coulter) Do you want to -- you have all the time in the world to respond.

Coulter: I think we heard all we need to hear. The wife of a presidential candidate is asking me to stop speaking. No.

And finally...

Comments

1. Don't you love that the Beast admits if she were to stop making personal attacks, that she wouldn't be able to speak or write? That is literally all she has.

Posted by: ck | Jun 27, 2007 1:02:48 PM

2. It's great to see Ann go awry under our watchful eyes.

She already knows she made a big snafu when she called Edwards a "faggot", as she took the machinations of the neocons and brought it to brought daylight. The future of the formerly happy gang is slowly crystallizing.

Posted by: poor annie | Jun 27, 2007 1:08:08 PM

3. How do we let the news media know that we don't even want to see her on TV anymore?

Or does it help the Democratic cause as she is clearly unbalanced and argues with a child's reasoning?

Posted by: David J | Jun 27, 2007 1:11:28 PM

4. Ok, everyone, democrats, independent thinkers, humanists, everyone repeat after me: "Ann Coulter who?" Let's all call into any program who books her and jam the lines with that simple question. Over and over again. Let's break the bitch down and drive her away. "Who?"

Posted by: John | Jun 27, 2007 1:25:06 PM

5. I truly wish someone would pop a cap in her ass. It's the only way she's ever going to go away.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 27, 2007 1:30:54 PM

6. John, I LOVE that idea. I wish ignoring her would work, but I doubt it would. Hit 'em where it counts!!

Posted by: silverskreen | Jun 27, 2007 1:42:53 PM

7. I'm not going to say anything bad about Ann Coulter... other than perhaps to wish she'd been killed in a terrorist assassination attack.

Posted by: Timothy | Jun 27, 2007 1:47:28 PM

8. There no doubt that Ann Coulter is a disgusting animal,
    BUT
    the real evil and affront is every "NEWS" program that chomp at the bit to get her on in the hopes of a "Jerry Springer" moment. This garbage on the Mathews show is a perfect example - put on Coulter, who has no intellectual value and who's 15 minutes passed some time ago, and arrange for Edwards to call in and confront her. Disgusting!!

It's the attention greedy media outlets that are responsible for turning people away from the democratic process. They're so focused on consumer imprinting to bolster their upfront $$$$$ that they'll do anything to get it - and these days that means appealing to the same viewers that tune into Jerry Springer.

This is much sadder and more pitiful than any of the visions Ayn Rand or Orwell ever imagined for us. It brings a tear to my eye.

Posted by: BeeDee | Jun 27, 2007 1:52:33 PM

9. I don't know who is loonier—Coulter or those who think that if they just hold their breath that mean bad lady will voluntarily go away. For those who want to do something besides demonstrate a five-year old's level of "magical thinking":

[email protected]

Repeat:

[email protected]

Posted by: Leland | Jun 27, 2007 2:02:12 PM

10. Br!on:

I certainly did not mean to imply that I do not miss Shannon/Brenda/Heather Duke. Oh how I love her. I do not love Ann Coulter.

However, to all those that want to kill Ann Coulter: if we learned anything from Heathers (and we certainly learned a lot) it's that killing people is bad. Very bad. Because you'll end up blowing yourself up after striking out with Winona Ryder. So while a world without Heather Chandler, er, Ann Coulter might be a lovely thought, it would only create more monsters and might just end up killing YOU in the end.

Enough said.

Posted by: David | Jun 27, 2007 2:22:03 PM

11. look people it's free speech, and political bile. Mrs.edwards might not like it but it's her husband up on the podium telling everyone that he has to become president to honor the memory of his dead son. Whose weirder the politician that makes that statement or the political pedagogue that calls him on it? What if Bush said he had to go to war with Iran because of his dead child? what would you say than?

Posted by: tim | Jun 27, 2007 2:46:20 PM

12. Tim, you're an imbecile to echo Cuntler's purposely mistranslating Edwards' request for civility into censorship. Suck a razor blade.

Posted by: Leland | Jun 27, 2007 2:53:35 PM

13. LELAND is the type of person that the media outlets are reaching for and profiting by. Reactionary, name-calling, hot-head who speaks without thinking. A total lack of critical facilities - that's the mainstay of the Jerry Springer Crowd.

It's nice to see, like most things, it's really not a gay or straight issue. It's ignorance and the ability to listen.

Posted by: BeeDee | Jun 27, 2007 3:22:10 PM

14. You know, if we wish ill on Ann Coulter, we're sinking to her level.
    My wish for her is that she gets everything she deserves in life.
    It's quite obvious that she's jealous of gay men, since she is a poor excuse for a drag queen--now not all gay men dress in drag, but still. It's apparent that her fashion sense is little more than a 'boy in a dress'.
    Still, if you believe in karma...you know that she will get everything that she deserves. Soon.
    I feel that it was refreshing to see Elizabeth come out and speak up as a mother. I agree that JE mentioning his dead child creeped me out, but it would have if GWB did. That's not the point. The point is that the Ann Coulter Show is increasingly boring and annoying. I actually feel sorry for her. She's one sad filly.
    She's also running out of steam. Poor thing. The fact that she's probably peri-menopausal has got to be a bother.

Posted by: Pfunk | Jun 27, 2007 3:38:44 PM

15. Thanks, Beedee. I took your advice and have given this a GREAT deal of thought: kiss my ass.

Posted by: Leland | Jun 27, 2007 3:44:01 PM

16. "Peri-menopausal," indeed.

Nice one, pfunk.

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 27, 2007 5:06:03 PM

17. It's a shame and an insult to the transgender community that Ann Coulter, nee 'Adam Colt,'is the main spokesperson for the extreme right in this country. Prior to his sex reassignment, I understand he was not quite as invective. What's even more of a shame is that there are people who read her crap and revere her for it. Very sad!

Posted by: Christo2020 | Jun 27, 2007 5:24:54 PM

18. And, she is as ugly as sin

Posted by: Christo2020 | Jun 27, 2007 5:26:49 PM

19. She is not a CUNT, as another poster wrote.

She is a CUNT THE SIZE OF THE GRAND CANYON. There are donkey tours of her on a daily basis.

Posted by: JT | Jun 27, 2007 5:58:49 PM

20. How come the right wing can mobilize themselves to protest, for example, the dixie chicks, threaten to have one of them killed, burn their cds, and have them boycotted by country radio?
    What are we going to do to get rid of this woman?

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 27, 2007 6:31:35 PM

21. How come the right wing can mobilize themselves to protest, for example, the dixie chicks, threaten to have one of them killed, burn their cds, and have them boycotted by country radio?
    What are we going to do to get rid of this woman?

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 27, 2007 6:32:52 PM

22. it's silly to let coulter push your buttons.
    this is her shtick .. she makes what she thinks are humorously outlandish statements
    that push the edge of political commentary..
    think of her as a political, slightly nastier kathy griffin.
    if you can get beyond the shock-speech, she often has an arguably valid point to make, as in this instance: john edwards DID appear to be politically exploiting his son's death. it's not beyond the pale to call him on it, even though most of us would prefer it were done a little more politely.

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 27, 2007 7:16:10 PM

23. from now on, whenever this wretch of a skank appears on a television broadcast i will write that show's producers and let them know they've lost another viewer.
    starting with:
    [email protected]

eventually the advertisers will ditch them as well, until she's finally wiped out of business... ala Imus.
    until then, let's hope she continues to nail her own coffin.

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 27, 2007 7:21:45 PM

24. PLEASE ANN, STOP WRITING BOOKS!

Coulter showed her typical (lack of) intelligence by completely missing the point that Elizabeth Edwards was trying to make. Personal attacks in politics only makes for messy politics.

Coulter further exacerbated the with the terrorist attack crack. Is this a person anyone should take seriously? Not at all.
    Do people take her seriously? Unfortunately, there are people out there who quote her.

I think this is another instance where I would like to see karmic justice take its course. I know that is bad karma for me but sometimes calling on one's own evil to see that another learn the lesson they need is a sacrifice worth giving.

Posted by: PJ | Jun 27, 2007 8:29:30 PM

25. "What if Bush said he had to go to war with Iran because of his dead child? what would you say than?" -Tim

No, the Shrub just illegally invades another country (Iraq) because [he believes] God told him to. I'm sure he'd love to use the same excuse for Iran... if the American people are lazy and stupid enough to let him get away with it.

Posted by: Dean | Jun 28, 2007 3:33:18 AM