"Ex-Gays" | Africa | Deaths | Gus van Sant | John Travolta | Nature | News | Prince Harry | Prince William | Princess Diana | Provincetown | Royalty

News: Mr. Wizard, Diana, Katie Couric, Tom Wolfe, Mass Migration

road.jpg "Mr. Wizard" dies at 89.

Harry_williamroad.jpg Princes Harry and William give U.S. interview about Diana. Harry: “I mean – so after it happened we were always, you know, always thinking about it. And there’s not a day goes by I don’t think, you know, that I don’t think about it once in the day. And so for us is a very slow and it’s a lot – it has been a long time. Over the last 10 years I personally feel as though she has been... she’s always there...She’s always being a constant reminder to both of us and everybody else. And therefore I think when you’re being reminded about it, it does take a lot longer and it’s a lot slower. It’s weird because I think when she passed away there was never that time, there was never that sort of lull. There was never that sort of peace and quiet for any of us – the fact that her face was always splattered on the paper the whole time.”

road.jpg Provincetown begins archival undertaking to preserve its history.

road.jpg Geri Halliwell trains with a beast.

Couricroad.jpg CBS Chief Executive Les Moonves says sexism to blame for Katie Couric's low ratings on the CBS Evening News: "I’m sort of surprised by the vitriol against her. The number of people who don’t want news from a woman was startling...Some of our changes didn’t work. If TV news doesn’t want to go the way of the newspapers, which are declining rapidly, then we have to try change."

road.jpg "Ex-gays" pissed that Montgomery County, Maryland is teaching kids that homosexuality is genetic: "According to the American Psychiatric Association, there are no replicated scientific studies supporting any specific biological cause for homosexuality. But now the Montgomery County Board of Education has done what science and medicine could not do by declaring in its newly approved curriculum that homosexuality is "innate" or inborn. The board could not produce any factual evidence for what it will now teach students -- only political "pledges" and payoffs for last year's school board elections as claimed by gay rights activists."

Reichenroad.jpg Reichen flaunts the family jewels for gay jewelry line.

road.jpg John Travolta's entire family stays up all night and sleeps during the day to avoid paparazzi, the actor says: "We're like the Addams family or the Munsters, living sort of an odd, nocturnal life. My kids probably stay up too late. My wife goes to bed around three, and I follow around seven. Right now, there's just you and me, and no one interfering in our space."

road.jpg Horse drowns during county "dunking" tradition: "The animals are ridden bareback into the water. When their feet come off the ground, they begin to swim. Tradition dictates that the horse's head should be dunked beneath the surface before it is ridden on to dry land again. But this distressed animal is thought to have pulled away from its owner in a panic, lost its footing and possibly broken a leg. It sank beneath the water and re-emerged but its rider continued the ritual, dunking the horse's head under the water. Again, the animal disappeared, but did not surface again. Worried onlookers began a human chain to pull the horse to shore. But by the time it was brought to the bank, it was dead. The rider fled."

road.jpg Massive wildlife migration discovered in Sudan: "More than a million animals, including elephants, buffaloes, ostriches, lions, giraffes and a rare type of stork, have been unexpectedly seen living and migrating across Southern Sudan, where no surveys of wildlife had been conducted for the past 25 years due to civil war in the region."

road.jpg Tom Wolfe surprised to learn that Gus van Sant was directing an adaptation of his Ken Kesey chronicle The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Said Wolfe: "I'm really interested to see what they do," he said. "The biggest problem will be the LSD trips that can be done so much better in print than on film."

Comments

1. Yeah, our Reichen fix for the day! I wonder if the "jewelry" will be expensive?

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jun 13, 2007 1:07:44 PM

2. Apparently the "King's" english is NOT the prince's.

Posted by: brian | Jun 13, 2007 1:25:36 PM

3. The reason people don't want their news from Katie is not because she is woman but because she is about as believable as Krusty the Clown. People need to feel that they can trust the person giving the report not how fresh the show is. You can't just stick someone in the chair who just came from doing fluff pieces and expect people to buy them as a serious journalist. Come on Moonves. Get your head out of the sand.

And I am not even going to touch that blurb about the horse. I'm so pissed I am practically foaming at the mouth and wouldn't be able to make a coherent statement... or at least one not laced with profanity.

Posted by: BVC | Jun 13, 2007 1:26:56 PM

4. ugh, reichen is not attractive anymore.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jun 13, 2007 1:44:53 PM

5. The proceeds from Reichen's jewelry line are going to SLDN to work to lift the gay ban in the military. Can't argue with that. I say good for him and he looks damn hot.

Posted by: sam | Jun 13, 2007 1:52:59 PM

6. Where are all the "ex-straight" camps for curing straight people and reforming them so they can be GLBT like the rest of us. Hey, I don't believe the heterosexual lifestyle is moral, I think it's sinful. It's sinful to be born anything different than the norm. If only this world was 88-90% gay and 8-10% straight instead of the other way around...then everyone of these fundamentalists would get a taste of their own medicine - teen years filled with being closeted heterosexuals in a gay world.

What a great idea for a movie.

Posted by: juliana | Jun 13, 2007 2:02:47 PM

7. Reichen's plenty attractive. He's just overexposed.

Geri Haliwell's trainer is a mountain of a man. Has Colt Studio called him yet?

And I agree with Dan Rather on this one. I like Katie Couric, and she was perfect on the Today show... but her tendency toward cutesy-ness and celebrity journalism isn't a good fit for the evening news. I don't think it's sexist to say that. Other female journalists would have been much better choices... Christiane Amanpour for example.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 13, 2007 2:02:55 PM

8. The line should have read, “Reichen furiously fluffs the family jewels.” If nothing else, this jewelry company will, uh, go down as keepers of record of Reichen’s ever-changing flames. Some of them anyway. Now it’s Ryan. Just two years ago he was posing wearing matching commitment rings with Louis.

God knows where the rings are [or the other set they “personally designed together”], but Louis didn’t last long enough for his finger to turn green, squeezed as he was between Charlie and Lance who both followed Chip who preceded the woman Reichen briefly dated with the hopes of producing a cheaper-than-test-tube baby. Are you paying attention, Ryan?

As for the concept, toy-box-for-brains Lehmkuhl is incapable of getting it, but the folks at SLDN should be ashamed not proud of demeaning and cheapening the decades-long noble fight on behalf of gays and lesbians in the military by associating it with “fly[ing]” naked with Reichen.” Do they imagine that it will somehow open the minds of those homophobes in the Pentagon and Congress and on military bases fighting to maintain DADT? Is SLDN going to be the official sponsor of Lehmkuhl's next nude calendar? Why not an SLDN online store selling Reichen-modeled "patriotic" camouflage jock straps? Can we expect a "backroom" at SLDN's next national dinner?

And how much exactly of, e.g., your $495 purchase of “FN018 - Black Propeller Bracelet” actually goes to SLDN? Rather than “donating 10% of every FLY NAKED Collection PURCHASE to the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network,” as gay media have been reporting, the company’s site says, “10% of the Fly Naked with Riechen Collection's REVENUE is donated to SLDN,” whatever that means. Emphasis mine, but the laughable misspelling of their own star’s name is theirs.

Interesting that the site’s Reichen photo gallery includes so much skin [though don’t look for his Vienna Sausage], given that he recently complained in an interview that people are only interested in what he has to show not what he has to say.

My personal fave is the photo of Lehmkuhl on his stomach, legs apart, wearing only the bracelet and the $195 ring as a jet climbs in the air above preparing to dive into his naked ass.

Posted by: Leland | Jun 13, 2007 2:04:17 PM

9. with the influx of big bucks in Provincetown it was time they took care of the historical artifacts..I emailed the journalist this little tidbit for her :
    I lived in Provincetown for 7 years and my roommate who was on the Historical Society amongst other things. I wanted to let you know he undertook a project that took several years(in the 80's & '90's) where he videotaped many of the "townies" especially at the nursing home,I know some of these people are no longer living...so those videotapes are somewhere in that town and it all needs to be put together...I know he interviewed over 100 people..so he used to come home with stories so interesting about the town from the elders..I love that town, no matter what happens to it.

cheers.......

Tony

Posted by: TC | Jun 13, 2007 2:25:47 PM

10. with the influx of big bucks in Provincetown it was time they took care of the historical artifacts..I emailed the journalist this little tidbit for her :

cheers.......

Tony

Posted by: TC | Jun 13, 2007 2:29:52 PM

11. Reichen is looking a little pneumatic... does he have chest implants?

Posted by: Chris | Jun 13, 2007 2:41:23 PM

12. Wow, I'd never seen Louis before. Very nice!

Posted by: Jason | Jun 13, 2007 2:57:31 PM

13. LOL Brian! (your King's english quip).

Posted by: SGR | Jun 13, 2007 3:30:03 PM

14. I think the reason for Katie's low ratings is not because she is a woman but because nobody wants to hear the news from someone who wears a white blazer the day after Labor Day. I despise Reichen...

Posted by: Dave | Jun 13, 2007 3:50:07 PM

15. Katie Couric was a fluff news talking head....they changed her hair, gave her a face lift to try to make her look more mature, but you can't change the genetics....and they are **fluff news talking head**
    I don't watch non-cable news, but I was at a friends about 4 months ago and he had CBS news on, I asked who the women was, and he said it was Couric....I was open mouthed quiet.....it was the first time I had seen her since she went to CBS and they had changed her a lot. But she still sucks.

Posted by: Joshua | Jun 13, 2007 5:03:38 PM

16. Those people dunking the horses heads under water are sick fucks.

Posted by: SC | Jun 13, 2007 6:34:44 PM

17. Catie started loosing people when in her first weeks she had Rush limbaugh on for a full tiarde by him with no competing voice.

Her "show" appeared to be right wing biased and many less conservative people turned her off imediately.

Reagan really did a diservice to the inteligence of the country when he gutted the Fairness in Broadcasting laws. Back in the day when you had to present equal time to opposing views to keep your broadcasting liscense.

Posted by: anon | Jun 13, 2007 7:14:51 PM

18. What's gay jewelry? Does it listen to Madonna?

Posted by: Br!on | Jun 13, 2007 8:25:27 PM

19. Well, I'd say Leland was a bit obsessed with all things Reichen but that would be understating the obvious.

Posted by: RJ | Jun 13, 2007 9:14:15 PM

20. Forget Reichen...I can't get enough of Gerri Halliwells trainer.....now there is a REAL MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: musl | Jun 13, 2007 9:33:30 PM

21. Les Moonves is in full denial about Katie Couric...he thought the cutesy, homespun schtick would work on the nightly news...well, guess what? The skills that might make you tolerable when you interview cheerleaders or gymnasts or Hollywood starlets are not exactly the ones that make you believable when you deliver serious news.
    Her rise to stardom has always been inexplicable to me. I thought she was a vapid, clueless interviewer even of vapid, clueless celebrities. Why anyone thought she could move to a serious newscast without any problems is beyond me.

Posted by: mike | Jun 15, 2007 3:15:34 AM