Crime | Gay Slurs | New York | News

Rochester, NY Police Investigated for Ignoring Gay Bashing

An internal investigation is underway at the Rochester, New York police department after victims of a brutal gay bashing say police took them into custody instead of arresting their attackers:

Rochester_victim"According to the alleged victims, they were on Goodman Street early Friday morning when the attack took place. They called police, but they say instead of arresting their attackers, cops took three of them into custody. One says an officer slashed his toe with a knife, another says an officer referred to her as a 'drunken dyke.'"

Rochester Councilman Bill Pritchard spoke to WROC: "When something like this does happen it causes everybody and certainly it caused me to pause and certainly register a certain amount of shock. I will not rest until I know with certainty all appropriate action has been taken. Your city government is on top of this, the mayor's office, the police department, the chief of police, myself, the city council, the council president. Your city government is being very responsive and taking immediate action to investigate what happened."

Comments

1. Having grown up in a Rochester suburb, I was always proud to say that Rochester had one of the first, if not the first (only in NY state??), openly gay elected official, Tim Mains. He served on the city council. The aftermath of this incident is once again making me proud of my hometown.

Posted by: Will | Jun 7, 2007 3:06:17 PM

2. As a current resident of Rochester, I have complete faith that the city will handle this exactly the way it should. Not for nothing, but when your city councilman is openly gay (as Bill Pritchard is), a gay bashing is unlikely to be ignored.

Posted by: Adam | Jun 7, 2007 3:42:15 PM

3. Weird story.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 7, 2007 4:14:13 PM

4. I know of a very similiar event in Buffalo a couple years ago. Two acquaintences of mine were jumped by four college guys. The cops arressted the two. They later got the assault charges dropped but it cost them a couple of thousand dollars in lawyers' fees.

Posted by: pablo | Jun 7, 2007 5:19:21 PM

5. As someone who divides their time between Pittsford (a suburb of Rochester, NY) and Ny, NY, this doesn't surprise me. I have only been out a few times socially to the gay bars (if you thought Chelsea has attitude, check out some of the gay establishments around here lol), but there is a lot of racial tension and homophobia in this city. Add in the HUGE amount of Police force corruption (and the fact that the new mayor Patrick Duffy was the ex-Chief of Police) and it's a disaster waiting to happen. A few months ago a cop was let off after he drove drunk in UNIFORM from an establishment and killed a motorcyclist. Nice eh.

Posted by: Cory | Jun 7, 2007 5:48:34 PM

6. In response to cory....

I'm unaware of the "huge" amount of police corruption to which you are referring in your post- however I think it is extremely important that you get your facts straight. The man "let off" after he drove drunk and killed a motorcyclist was not a Rochester police officer. He worked for the county. They are two seperate police departments in the two seperate cases. You should not try to make a case against one police department using a case from another department

Posted by: Vicky | Jun 9, 2007 12:33:35 AM

7. Cory is totally ignorant to be spreading such lies.

First of all he is a snob, Pittsfors is part of the Rochester community. Get a grip Pittsofrd is a few miles outisde city limits.

Rochester has a long history of supporting gay rights and has had some firsts nationally. My partner and I registered as domestic partners by the City.

Racial tension? Not sure anymore that anywhere else. Chelsea attitude? I don't even see much attitude in Chelsea anymore, let alone any gay bar or club in Rochester. Bitter queens always find attitude.

If you knew anything about Mayor Duffy you would know he rose through the ranks by going after corrupt cops, he was in internal affairs.

Learn the facts on the drama you list at the end.

Rochester is a wonderful. As far as a mid-size city goes it is one of the best in the nation for gays and lesbians.

Posted by: poodle | Jun 9, 2007 2:14:54 AM

8. Cory is totally ignorant to be spreading such lies.

Learn the facts on the drama you list at the end.

Posted by: poodle | Jun 9, 2007 2:17:03 AM

9. Cory, precious - any snobbery or attitude that exists in this town? Maybe it's 'cause you perpetuate it?\. Less time thinking about yourself may be a good move.

Posted by: lemmon | Jun 9, 2007 11:46:29 PM

10. Please, if the three posts (most likely from the same person) are any indication you just solidified my comments on the attitude. I did not personally attack any one, yet once again true persona's do shine through nicely online eh. I do not go out in the Rochester gay scene, hell I don't even go out in the NYC gay scene, it's tired with attitude, you'd have to be blind or contributing to it not to see it.

Pittsford may be a "suburb" of Rochester but it is still the city of. My family is very much involved in politics here (hello, the name Dorschel ring any bells?), and we have many family friends that are involved in the Rochester business and political community. If any one is ignorant it would be the commentators that felt it necessary to attack me and not my points. Again kids, let's keep the personal insults out of the discussions and try to focus on the issues at hand; going as low as attacking someone personally suggests you have no other arguments or basis for discussion.

Vicky, you're wrong. "Connell is at the center of a firestorm because of a verdict he announced Wednesday in the nonjury trial of former Sheriff's Deputy James R. Telban Jr., who was charged with second-degree vehicular manslaughter, driving while intoxicated and failure to yield to oncoming traffic in the death of motorcyclist Peter Volkmuth in Parma on Sept. 6.

Although Connell convicted Telban of two misdemeanor DWI counts, he acquitted him of the felony of vehicular manslaughter and the traffic infraction of failure to yield." Read this in the Democrat and Chronicle, it may enlighten you ( http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070504/NEWS01/705040358/1002/NEWS ).

Poodle, I've lived in many places - NYC, Boston's South End, London, San Francisco - I live between ROC and NYC to help take care of my ailing parents. I can honestly say (and as Rochester has one of the highest murder rates per capita - you can't turn the TV on without seeing a shooting around Main or in the South Wedge or North Goodman) it is NOT the best city to live in, or the safest. In fact, Rochester ranked 94 in National Murder rate in 2000 alone ( http://www.morganquitno.com/met00rank.pdf ).Further, Rochester murder rate per capita is 3.49 times the national average ( http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Rochester&state=NY ).

Lemmon, I don't think we've ever met have we? So why so judgmental? Prejudice much? How about you meet me and get to know me before you throw stones in that glass house, then you can call me all the names you want precious.

Again, please explain why ALL THE PERSONAL F'ING ATTACKS?? DID I OFFEND ANY OF YOU PERSONALLY? NO! SO PLEASE, IF YOU ARE ADULTS LET'S DISCUSS THIS LIKE ADULTS AND LET THE CHILD LIKE PLAYSCHOOL ANTICS GO! Grow up!

Posted by: Cory | Jun 10, 2007 1:06:36 AM

11. And tell that "Rochester is a great place for gays and lesbians" line to the victims of this hate crime, I'm sure they'd LOVE to hear that...

Posted by: Cory | Jun 10, 2007 1:11:19 AM

12. Daaaamn, you bitches got owned. OWNED. Poodle got groomed and Lemmon was made into some bitter ass lemonade. Seems next time you try to attack someone, get your facts str8, but first think twice before you try to break someone down online. If anyone has "attitude", you kids took the taco lol.

Posted by: ROBERT | Jun 10, 2007 1:14:01 AM

13. Wtf is wrong with you people? Did Cory slam any of you? No. Do any of you know him? No. So why the need to go after him? Why not stick to the subject and discuss this with maturity than attempting to discredit someone with personal slander. If Poodle and Lemmon are from Rochester, then your attidue and snobbery simply prove Cory's point. Nicely done.

Posted by: Jase | Jun 10, 2007 11:47:32 AM

14. Cory...
    You're still wrong... and I do read the D&C- it's delivered to me each morning! The person arrested... as stated in the what you copied onto your post was A SHERIFF (thats Monroe County... totally seperate from Rochester Police Department- the department invovled in this incident) Two completely different police departments!!!!

Posted by: Vicky | Jun 14, 2007 9:34:33 PM

15. I think we have heard enough about this. I do know one thing when the truth comeout about that night and what really happen. Alot of people including Mayor Duffy and that so called police Chief and the news man that is not letting this go away will all have egg on their face. The people that filed these acusation. are just trying to get themself out of truoble seeing that they are the ones that trew the first punch and the alleged four people were only defending themself after being attack by 6 people 5 being men and one being a women so it was six against 4 and the 4 didnt stast anything

Posted by: tom | Sep 14, 2007 2:44:23 PM