Anderson Cooper | News | Rufus Wainwright

Rufus Wainwright on Anderson Cooper and the Closet

Wainwright

From a new interview in Spin magazine:

"If they stay in the closet, they're going to make a lot more money. I go to the same gym as Anderson Cooper. When I look at him lifting those 5-pound weights, it makes me think, 'He's just trying to live his life and be all that he can be.' But he still goes to the gayest gym in New York."

Comments

1. 5 lb waits! LOL. Mee-ow.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 14, 2007 11:32:46 AM

2. Actually, the David Barton Gym on West 23rd is the gayest in the city. Cooper works out at the Equinox at Time Warner Center.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 14, 2007 11:34:52 AM

3. NYSC on 23rd and 8th is THE gayest. Even the people manning the front desk are all gay!

Posted by: Mel | Jun 14, 2007 11:42:06 AM

4. Well, Rufus should know. Every time he opens his mouth to sing a Judy Garland song falls out. heh.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Jun 14, 2007 11:54:26 AM

5. Oh, snap. Rufus is just so devastatingly clever.

Posted by: Frank L | Jun 14, 2007 11:57:18 AM

6. Rufus sort of comes across as a pissy jealous fag this time, unfortunately. And he's too young for that. I dont know if he should be mocking another guys manhood-has he heard himself talk or looked at himself?

Posted by: Charles | Jun 14, 2007 11:59:56 AM

7. Gee, Rufus... what penetrating insights.

We hate in others what we most dislike in ourselves.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 14, 2007 12:05:04 PM

8. Can we have just *one* gay celebrity that is mature enough to just keep his mouth shut when he's asked about this kind of thing?

The world gets enough sound-bites as it is.

Posted by: Rottin' in Denmark | Jun 14, 2007 12:07:17 PM

9. It's been a while since I read the comments on Andy's blog, and i can see why I retired...snippy, bitter, jealous little remarks from people. If you think you're clever, you kidding yourself.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 14, 2007 12:11:44 PM

10. Rufus' new album is amazing and he needs to spend his interview time on much more important topics than Anderson. Think of all those gay boys in high school drama clubs, choirs and bands across America: they need Rufus, not Anderson. Remember, Elton John was in the closet for the most classic lart of his career......

Posted by: busytimmy | Jun 14, 2007 12:13:15 PM

11. Rufus and Anderson work out at David Barton on 23rd - I see them both regularly. Anderson's got a "workout buddy" that tags along with him and his trainer.

One wonders why no one has shot Anderson & company leaving the UNQUESTIONABLY gayest gym in NYC.

Posted by: A | Jun 14, 2007 12:17:14 PM

12. Oh RuRu, always starting pissing contests- Maybe him and Perez should hook up? Regardless, me thinks the son of a Vanderbilt is just a bit above all this...

Posted by: bigggnasty | Jun 14, 2007 12:59:04 PM

13. how much money does one need ??

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 14, 2007 1:02:02 PM

14. I guess being intolerant and judgemental is part and parcel of being a bitchy queen.

Rufus needs to surgically remove that hand from his face and try lifting a few weights himself.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 14, 2007 1:07:48 PM

15. "A" wrote: And actually, Rufus, Anderson lifts some pretty heavy weights. He's got a very nice upper-body (not that I've looked or anything)."

Then "TOM" wrote: Anderson was just in LA working out at Gold's. He was working out pretty hard and not with 5 lb. weights.

Actually, "A" and "TOM," Rufus was being sarcastic. C'mon, guys.

Posted by: PC | Jun 14, 2007 1:26:51 PM

16. At least they work out. Too many guys these days just let it go. (For the record, despite my advancing years, I still get compliments with my shirt off--from guys in their seventies--but still!)

What Rufus is really saying is that if he were not out himself, he'd be a big star like AC.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 14, 2007 1:28:23 PM

17. oh, i get it now. it's all about the benji's and nothing about integrity. time to click the channel.

Posted by: sean | Jun 14, 2007 1:37:46 PM

18. Nuh uh! *MY* gym is gayer!

[you've GOT to be kiddin' me, boys.]

Posted by: Jason | Jun 14, 2007 1:42:59 PM

19. Amanda Lepore has been known to walk buck naked through david barton gym with her plastic vagina front and center...i think that makes DB the gayest gym in the history of mankind,,,,ps I am sure Cooper has gym memberships to all the hottest gyms in all the major cities....if i had his money i would too...to rufus: have you met u?

Posted by: desi | Jun 14, 2007 1:49:59 PM

20. These comments are outrageous and serve no constructive purpose whatsoever. What is the point here? Enough with this nonsensical Anderson Cooper bashing. Anderson has a totally neutral public persona. He does not bash gay people or side with homophobes. He therefore deserves our respect. Whatever your sexual orientation, it does not have to be worn on your sleeve. That is a matter of personal choice and must always remain that way.

After reading Wainwright's background online with regard to his cruising guys in a park while in his teens and being raped, he no doubt has issues that he is dealing with. But never mind that! The tone of his remarks scream jilted bitchy trash talking queen, and the world is full of them. So why is this worthless innuendo in print anyway? Oh yes, Page Six and Spin, enough said.

But that still begs the question as to why publish it here? Why?

I've had it. One more article about Anderson Cooper like this and I will not return.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Jun 14, 2007 1:57:36 PM

21. David Barton is so gay it shits out rainbows.
    I can't work out there because I find it repellent. And yes, I do have some internalized homophobia, but I personally don't want to go to a gym thats 98% gay men (the other 2% comprised of tranimals and severe fag hags)

So my issue with Anderson isn't the nature of his closetness, but with his tastes in gyms.

Posted by: mimi | Jun 14, 2007 2:02:47 PM

22. Here is video clip from youtube of Anderson Cooper shirtless. Not a great body.

Posted by: John | Jun 14, 2007 3:41:58 PM

23. Rufus belongs to a gym?

Posted by: mark m | Jun 14, 2007 4:57:11 PM

24. Although I really like his music, Rufus has begun to grate on my nerves due to his really stupid interviews and insecurity. He should shut his mouth and just perform.

Posted by: Van | Jun 14, 2007 4:58:59 PM

25. jeeze.. are many of the commentors here a bunch of humorless closet cases ?? surely this can't be the first time you've ever heard a sarcastic reference to how gay anderson is ? i can think of 20 comics right off the top of my head that have an anderson joke in their act. sheesh.. lighten up (in your loafers) a little bit, fellas !
    p.s. did ya hear the one about clay aiken.... ?

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 14, 2007 5:01:48 PM