Election 2008 | Elizabeth Edwards | Gay Marriage | Ivri Lider | John Edwards | Music | News | Paris Hilton | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #148

PARIS HILTON: Gives most boring interview ever to Larry King.

MIKA BRZEZINSKI: MSNBC reporter won't lead with Paris Hilton.

JOHN and ELIZABETH EDWARDS: CNN covers their differing opinions on gay marriage.

IVRI LIDER: Gay Israeli pop star's first U.S. single, "Jesse". More on Lider at AfterElton.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. I have a new found respect for journalism in Mika Brzezinski. For a time I thought there were no more important news stories.

Posted by: John | Jun 28, 2007 10:19:47 AM

2. Hearing John Edwards asked the question "Do you think Gay people should have the right to marry?" and then hearing his firm response "NO", really makes me know that I will never vote for him.

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 28, 2007 10:46:26 AM

3. I think you're right, Andy: that was the most boring thing ever. Did that interview really go on for the full hour? People watch that crap? I couldn't handle 20 seconds of it.

On the Mika video: any other cynics here? I bet she said "I don't want to talk about Paris Hilton," but the producers really wanted Paris Hilton... so, instead of actually talking about it, they made fun of her for 2 minutes. It's still about the same amount of Paris Hilton time, they even put on the video of her.

On John Edwards:

He's being so friggin stupid. He could gain so much support in the primary if he came out in full support of gay marriage. Instead, he's doing this wink, wink thing with his wife and sayind he's not there "yet." I don't want a Democrat who wavers like that, yet again. Haven't we learned anything over the past 2 elections?

That said, as far as GBLT and progressive issues are concerned, John Edwards is still the best bet. He's the only one, that I know of, who would support getting rid of DOMA - which would essentially legalize gay marriage anyway.

But, yeah, he's making it hard to support him by saying these stupid things. For a trial lawyer who's pretty famous for his speaking ability, it's sure easy to catch him saying something extremly stupid.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 28, 2007 11:03:28 AM

4. if you could have either Paris Hilton or Anne Coulter shot dead... which choice would be more beneficial for the repair of American culture?

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 28, 2007 11:14:45 AM

5. Wow, I'm sitting here frozen because IVRI LIDER just "sang my life with his words". I have to send this video to a certain someone.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jun 28, 2007 11:25:31 AM

6. A hearty CONGRATULATIONS to Mika Brzezinski for refusing to lead with the non-newsworthy non-story about that non-entity Paris Hilton. If only MSNBC and every other news organization would follow her lead and focus on the things that are actually important.

And I just sent MSNBC an email to let them know how I feel. It's a pipe dream, but I'd be really happy if the *news* programs would forget about Paris. Then maybe I could.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2007 11:45:06 AM

7. Goodbye John Edwards, you just lost my vote. I used to like you, but now see that you have no balls. You're either for gay rights or not, not a half-ass version that plays to the other side.

Posted by: he's out | Jun 28, 2007 12:04:48 PM

8. As Hillary Clinton once said, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Please find me the politician or Presidential candidate (with any realistic hope of actually being elected by a majority of the voters) that you agree with 100% on all of their positions.

John Edwards' stance on gay marriage is the same as Hillary Clinton's and Barack Obama's so essentially it's a wash.

Which means that as gay voters we need to act maturely for once and not continue to tread down the narrow path of identity politics. Edwards is good - better than Clinton and Obama in many ways - on issues which are also of concern to gays and lesbians, namely poverty and universal health care.

Maybe if you're already a relatively comfortable well-off gay or lesbian person, your lack of access to legal marriage is the only affront to your personal dignity. Gays and lesbians living in poverty and without health care don't have the luxury of worrying about the semantics over "civil unions" vs. "gay marriage."

If gay marriage were legalized tomorrow, and same-sex spouses were able to share each others' health insurance, how exactly would that benefit gays and lesbians who haven't won the romantic lottery and aren't in a committed relationship.

Think outside the narrow confines of identity politics, people.

Posted by: LightningLad | Jun 28, 2007 12:14:47 PM

9. I LOVE Ivri Lider. Thanks Andy for profiling him on your blog. If anyone wants more of Ivri, his website is www.ivrilider.com

Also, he did the soundtracks for Eytan Fox's films, Yossi & Jagger and Walk on Water. If anyone out there hasn't seen either of these films yet, throw them in your Netflix queue now! They are both brilliant. Ivri has a cameo in Walk on Water playing music. And his music really adds so much depth to each film. He's also done the music to Fox's new film, Bubble which hasn't been released in the States yet.

Posted by: Philip | Jun 28, 2007 12:22:21 PM

10. If the lighting director for the Ivri Lider video had just keyed up the yellow a bit more and pushed the exposure, the David Hockney intentions would have come sailing through beautifully. Sweet song.

Your devoted Farmboyz

Posted by: Father Tony | Jun 28, 2007 1:02:02 PM

11. Well, no, actually she did lead with the Paris Hilton story. The minute she pulled out the lighter and mentioned Paris' name and began to make a show of it all by first pretending to burn and then ultimately shredding the piece of paper, it became the lead story. Had she simply ignored the story on Paris Hilton and plowed right into the piece about Richard Luger challenging Bush, *that* would have been a legitiamte way of refusing to lead with the Paris Hilton tripe.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 28, 2007 1:46:46 PM

12. Lightninglad, good luck getting people do that.

This "marriage or nothing" mindset is so short-sighted and is only going to get us another Republican regime as long as we insist on using it.

Posted by: SC | Jun 28, 2007 3:20:26 PM

13. PeterParker's right. But I'm willing to give Mika half-credit for her protest to the Paris Hilton story as a lead story. She also gets extra credit for having to deal with the two yahoos next to her.

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 28, 2007 3:36:02 PM

14. Oh, the hell with Paris, Mika, Edwards anyway. I'm still rubbing my eyes from the Ivri video (and the one from Jossi & Jaeger you can find next to it on the Youtube site). Haven't had a good cry about lost young love like that since Brokeback. Puts the rest of the tripe in perspective.

Posted by: nobody | Jun 28, 2007 10:30:26 PM

15. Great blog congratulations!come visit our site and see amazing free on line movies www.zigbr.com

my site is the best in the world
    Visit the best free vids site on the net

Posted by: videos gratis | Jul 16, 2007 12:59:14 PM