Gay Rights | Iraq | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

A Visit to the College Republican National Convention

Untitled from huffpost and Vimeo.

In March we featured a great video by The Huffington Post's Max Blumenthal as he ambushed the Conservative Political Action Conference shortly after Ann Coulter made her f-bomb comment about John Edwards.

This time, Blumenthal visits the College Republican National Convention and discovers that hypocrisy starts at an early age.

Notes Blumenthal: "In conversations with at least twenty College Republicans about the war in Iraq, I listened as they lip-synched discredited cant about 'fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here.' Many of the young GOP cadres I met described the so-called 'war on terror' as nothing less than the cause of their time. Yet when I asked these College Repulicans why they were not participating in this historical cause, they immediately went into contortions. Asthma. Bad knees from playing catcher in high school. 'Medical reasons.' 'It's not for me.' These were some of the excuses College Republicans offered for why they could not fight them 'over there.' Like the current Republican leaders who skipped out on Vietnam, the GOP's next generation would rather cheerlead from the sidelines for the war in Iraq while other, less privileged young men and women fight and die."

Loving the suppressed gay Republican too.

Generation Chickenhawk: the Unauthorized College Republican Convention Tour [huffington post]

you may have missed...
Politicians React to Ann Coulter Gay Slur and CPAC Events [tr]

Comments

1. RepubliCONs are scum at every age...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Jul 19, 2007 11:21:48 AM

2. I can understand the gays and lesbians not liking Republicans. The Republicans don't want gay marriage. But what I don't understand is why the gays support of Hillary, Obama, or Edwards. Neither of them wants gay marriage. Why not support someone like Kucinich who approves of gay marriage? The Democrats have finally started to wise up and court the Christian base. If anyone saw Anderson Cooper last night, they discussed that the Democrats know that 85% of people in this country adentify as Christian. That's why you have seen more Democrats actively talking about their religious beliefs.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 11:25:48 AM

3. Vinny! You talking about us or the hypocritical, shitty young Republicans?

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Jul 19, 2007 11:26:23 AM

4. I meant identify. Typo

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 11:26:55 AM

5. Actually, Matt, "neither" would be used when referring to two. You'd have to say "none of them want" to be correct.

I mean, as long as we're all being childish morons here, I might as well join in (being a childish moron and all).

Posted by: Chris | Jul 19, 2007 11:31:49 AM

6. Actually, Matt, "neither" would be used when referring to two. You'd have to say "none of them want" to be correct.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 19, 2007 11:33:23 AM

7. Yeah Chris I noticed that. I originally had just typed Hillary and Obama and then I went back and added Edwards. My goof.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 11:34:59 AM

8. Awww, that poor Closeted Matt Kues...setting himself up for unhappiness...

Posted by: Jack | Jul 19, 2007 11:35:06 AM

9. Thanks for sharing the video! I wonder which ones are also 'training' in public estrooms... if it's the cute one, I'm so there!

Posted by: jase | Jul 19, 2007 11:36:50 AM

10. it's spectacular to read these comments and realize that the subject is essentially ignored and it becomes a bitch fight between queens. Or, an innuendo contest on who might be gay in the video. How sad we have become.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 19, 2007 11:49:31 AM

11. Fuck you, Randy. (that was a joke. I actually agree))

The point has been mostly lost in all the grammar policing. These war supporters of are fighting age but refuse to take the place of the troops they "support" so one of them may be spared their 3rd or fourth over-extended tour in Iraq.

Let's reinstate the draft and see how fast these guys turn from pro-war to anti-war.

Posted by: Marco | Jul 19, 2007 12:18:16 PM

12. ANON,

WHAT "African American brother" do you see in this clip??!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 19, 2007 12:19:44 PM

13. And I'd like to add - Max Blumenthal is dreamy. I am sure he's not gay because I find him dreamy, but I'd love to chat politics with him over a beer or 6.

Posted by: Marco | Jul 19, 2007 12:19:59 PM

14. Having been a young Republican and growing up in a Republican family, let me assure you that the left-wing characterization of college-age conservatives being mostly spineless cowards who would rather someone else fight for this country is more true than not.

Oh, and stop putting more emphasis on how someone spells what their saying than what they are saying.

(I dare someone to correct my grammar on that last one).

Posted by: mark m | Jul 19, 2007 12:30:24 PM

15. Soulbrotha, I think he may have been referring to the ethnically ambiguous dude in the red shirt...

...you know the one who has "asthma." Who knew that one of the leading causes of asthma was penile obstruction of the wind pipe?

Posted by: mark m | Jul 19, 2007 12:39:29 PM

16. Matt...when you and millions of other Americans decided not to vote in the elections of November 2000 and November 2004, you doomed not only the 300 million Americans but also the rest of the world to eight years of life under the Bush regime. Thanks a lot, moron.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 2:07:12 PM

17. "...penile obstruction of the wind pipe?"

Hell, is that why I haven't been constipated in 3 years. I need some obstruction before I get too old to enjoy it.

And what "bitch fight"? Aint nobody fighting bitchy here. We some civil motha' fuckas here. Now, how's that for gramma'.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 19, 2007 2:10:03 PM

18. PeterParker,

From one moron to another, you are very welcome.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 2:26:16 PM

19. These are the future HYPOCRITICAL republicons of America.

I hope their party is dead for more than 20 years!

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 19, 2007 3:11:21 PM

20. Matt,

Bite me.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 4:24:38 PM

21. soulbrotha the guy in the red shirt.

He doesn't look exactly norwegian to me.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 4:26:04 PM

22. It would appear that there are literally, a lot of "sick" republicans !

Posted by: bazza | Jul 19, 2007 7:34:19 PM

23. It would appear that there are literally, a lot of "sick" republicans !

Posted by: bazza | Jul 19, 2007 7:35:00 PM

24. This video is sad and funny all at the same time. I thought this was pretty funny too: http://www.unboundedition.com/content/view/1535/50/

Unfortunately, it all makes me pretty sad too.

Posted by: tina | Jul 19, 2007 8:09:43 PM