Bryan Singer | Film | News | Tom Cruise

First Look: Tom Cruise as a One-Eyed Nazi

Tomcruise_nazi

Tom Cruise plays Col. Claus von Stauffenberg in Valkyrie, a German officer who leads the resistance charge to assassinate Hitler.

Via Rope of Silicon: "The 'July 20 Plot' on Hitler's life is one of the most heroic but least known episodes of World War Two. Severely wounded in combat, Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg returns from Africa to join the German Resistance and help create Operation Valkyrie, the complex plan that will allow a shadow government to replace Hitler's once he is dead. But fate and circumstance conspire to thrust Stauffenberg from one of many in the plot to a double-edged central role. Not only must he lead the coup and seize control of his nation's government ... He must kill Hitler himself."

Bryan Singer is directing the film, slated to appear in theaters just over a year from now.

Comments

1. Tom Cruise is a fine screen actor, and a great movie star (that's what the box office receipts can't deny). I've never understood the animosity he receives from the gay community, I mean, gay men. You can be homosexual or bisexual without being "gay" , you know.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 19, 2007 10:44:05 AM

2. Talk about typecasting!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 19, 2007 10:44:58 AM

3. Oh hey, Derrick -- and I can be whipped cream without being a dessert topping. Or something.

As for Tom, let me try to help enlighten you:

* He's the most vociferous proponent of a "religion" that denigrates homosexualbisexualgays.

* Gays (those people who are remarkably similar to homosexuals?) tend to share the general malaise felt toward Tom due to his strange antics such as jumping on couches, lighting into Brooke and Matt, and keeping Katie in chains in the basement (well, maybe not that last one...).

That said, most gays (you know, homosexuals who do things with homosexuals and bisexuals?) I know could care less and would fuck him even if he asked for it in aisle 7 at Safeway.

So I hope that helps.

Posted by: becks07 | Jul 19, 2007 10:55:10 AM

4. Imagine what a real actor could do with this role. For one thing, manage an accent.

Posted by: sam | Jul 19, 2007 10:55:30 AM

5. Watching him is like watching Kevin Costner. Blech. I'll pass.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 10:56:37 AM

6. LOL... right on, Becks...

The only correction I'd make regarding the Aisle 7 Safeway hookup is that I'd prefer to keep a ball gag in Tommy's mouth to make sure he doesn't try to convert me to Scientology in the middle of things...

Posted by: Brian | Jul 19, 2007 11:00:23 AM

7. does Armani know Tom's doing Hugo Boss ads now?

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 19, 2007 11:06:18 AM

8. Luckily for Tom, Singer likes them younger. Much younger. Plus, I doubt Singer would wear the wrestling outfit anyway.

Posted by: secretagentman | Jul 19, 2007 11:10:26 AM

9. von Stauffenberg was a great hero and is still highly venerated. There is always some sort of ceremony to mark the attempt on Hitler's life even today (atually, tomorrow). I think the publicity due to Cruise is a good thing since it makes more people aware of von Stauffenberg, but it is too bad that I will have to watch Cruis play him. Moreover, von Stauffenberg's son is very much against Cruise playing him due to Cruise and his belief in Scientology, which is considered a cult by the German government and by about 95% of the German people.

Hail Xenu.

Posted by: Will | Jul 19, 2007 11:17:06 AM

10. I never get Tom anyway. I guess he is good looking with a nice body, but for some weird reason, I just never feel that I am attracted to him... And this started way before his weird behaviours....

So, I am not sure if I will even do him at Safeway.... Maybe I will, just so that he can pay me millions of dollars to keep me quiet. ;-D

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 11:17:14 AM

11. The pic makes me laugh. Is it suppose to?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 19, 2007 11:18:57 AM

12. Well, if you're a homosexual who has nothing to do with the gay community socially/politically/culturally--seems to me you're just a homosexual--not gay.

Lord, if you cancelled out every Hollywood actor who denied his homosexuality, and even "put down" openly gay people to prove it--who the hell could you go see in the movies?

You want to be a movie matinee idol, Pretty Boy? Better wait until you're about sixty to come out the closet.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 19, 2007 11:21:45 AM

13. Isn't he already a...oh, nevermind. He's playing war heroes a lot lately. Does he feel embattled?

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 19, 2007 11:24:47 AM

14. I am tired of gay people trying to out people who either don't want to come out or were not gay in the first place.

John Travolta surmised in an interview the other day that gays may think he is gay just because he is so comfortable with his own sexuality and therefore had never displayed the same kind of homophobia of many other actors of his era.

I read this site all the time and regularly post to it and all my friends are gay and I live in Chelsea and have a share in Fire Island and go to David Barton Gym even though I am not gay and don't have a gay bone in my body.

TONY THE TIGER

Posted by: Tony the Tiger | Jul 19, 2007 11:48:17 AM

15. I think gays think Travolta is gay because he likes to hit on guys in the sauna, and at the gym, at the staff at the hotels. Yeah, it's all the blowjobs that make me think he's gay.

Posted by: secretagentman | Jul 19, 2007 12:01:09 PM

16. Tony brings up an interesting point. Is there a "gay culture", or is gaiety all about where you put your penis?

(He doesn't mention if he enjoys sexual congress with women, but I'm assuming so given the rest of his post.)

Travolta has been rumored to be gay not because he's comfortable with his sexuality but because he used to sleep with men back in the day... he admitted this years and years ago. That said, I don't think outing is a particularly good way to go about gaining more GLBT visibility... there's a pejorative feel to it that seems to negate any positive social gain. The only time it's warranted is when the person being outed is actively working against GLBT equality... in that case, out the fucker already.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 19, 2007 12:03:38 PM

17. How about a movie about Prescot Bush, Georgie's grandpa, sympathizing with/ laundering money for/ and making a profit off of the nazis. Profits from aushwitz slave labor in particular. how the HERO FDR saw to it that he had money and property confiscated for dealing with the enemy. One doesn't have to wonder why the Bush's hate FDR / the new deal, and why georgie systematicaly is trying to dismantle any remnant of the new deal.

:-)

Now that would be an intersting true life story.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 12:07:56 PM

18. derrick.

Tom is the face and voice of a religion that says it can cure the "mental sickness" that is homosexuality. Any gay man that tosses money tom's way is a fool. Tom is one of the biggest single financial contributors to scientology a religion that says we are sick in the head and need and can be cured.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 12:10:18 PM

19. Some celebrities reach a point in their careers when they are surrounded by nothing but yes people and their good judgment (or lack of it) begins to suffer.

Such is Tom Cruise. He has an air of disingenuous about him and a certain entitlement and arrogance that is unearned. I think that's what most people (not just gays) are reacting to.

Well, that and the coo-coo couch-jumping and anti-depressant tirades.

Yep, I would agree he's already entered Kevin Kostner territory.

Posted by: mark m | Jul 19, 2007 12:12:50 PM

20. Im so happy they're making another Hogans Heroes movie!

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 19, 2007 12:16:19 PM

21. Ahh, isn't Cruise kind'a short to portray von Stauffenberg? Stauffenberg's the figure on the left, he was nearly a head-taller than Hitler. He was tall and rail-thin, Cruise is neither.

Though the face is similar. http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,2420622_1,00.jpg

I wonder how they'll conceal his arm. My personal benchmark is Walter Pidgeon in "The Danube is Red", shot in b/w before eleborate effects. He's photographed from all sides in-action and it look totally convincing that's the character has lost his arm to the shoulder. After seeing twice, I still have no idea how they strapped Pidgeon's good arm down and concealed it with "mere tailoring" all the while he's portraying an vigorous, active counter-intelligence officer in Post-War Vienna.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jul 19, 2007 12:16:55 PM

22. Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise in every movie he makes (just like John Wayne did). Tom Cruise is no actor, he is a short, vain, egomaniac that believes he is entitled to that which mere mortals can only dream (watch him pontificate on TV). Mr. Cruise has a gang of religious cult fanatics that follow him wherever he goes (the scientologists and the press). Now watch this space for the professional scientology blog commenters (yes they do exist, to counter bad press for their church and they HATE the internet) to flame out about what a great guy Tom is.

Posted by: ggreen | Jul 19, 2007 12:28:40 PM

23. Nazis are sooooooooooo gay!

Posted by: busytimmy | Jul 19, 2007 12:41:21 PM

24. Or, hey Tom... I've got a one-eyed nazi for you right here!

Posted by: busytimmy | Jul 19, 2007 12:42:09 PM

25. What GGreen said. Mr. Cruise is the most overrated actor/celebrity in Hollywood, bar none. As to how he'll play von Stauffenberg, he'll stand on a box like he always does.

Posted by: Frank L | Jul 19, 2007 12:58:07 PM