Bryan Singer | Film | News | Tom Cruise

BigGayDeal.com

First Look: Tom Cruise as a One-Eyed Nazi

Tomcruise_nazi

Tom Cruise plays Col. Claus von Stauffenberg in Valkyrie, a German officer who leads the resistance charge to assassinate Hitler.

Via Rope of Silicon: "The 'July 20 Plot' on Hitler's life is one of the most heroic but least known episodes of World War Two. Severely wounded in combat, Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg returns from Africa to join the German Resistance and help create Operation Valkyrie, the complex plan that will allow a shadow government to replace Hitler's once he is dead. But fate and circumstance conspire to thrust Stauffenberg from one of many in the plot to a double-edged central role. Not only must he lead the coup and seize control of his nation's government ... He must kill Hitler himself."

Bryan Singer is directing the film, slated to appear in theaters just over a year from now.

Comments

1. The best thing about Tom Cruise is the consistency of his performances. He never fails to leave me unmoved.

Posted by: BIMBO_ERUPTION | Jul 19, 2007 12:59:22 PM

2. I think the reason that Tom Cruise looks so absurd in that picture is because that uniform fits him so badly. The Nazis were very particular about form fitting suits.

And that hat is too big for him.

The only historical role that Tom Cruise should play is as Napoleon!

Posted by: tony the tiger | Jul 19, 2007 1:00:27 PM

3. A.J., you are hilarious!

Regarding boycotting Cruise because he is a member of Scientology: is it possible that Scientology is such a fringe religion, held in such poor regard by most people, and generally thought of as a very silly cult, that it really does no harm to continue to support someone who espouses the beliefs of The Church of Scientology? It's sort of like continuing to be kind to the nutter on the street corner who is railing against anything secular because he's *such* a nutter that you know no one will ever take him seriously. Or maybe I just want to see this movie because I can't wait to see Tom Cruise in Nazi drag.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:03:15 PM

4. This twit is a lousy excuse for an actor and judging from the picture above, he's an even worse producer.
    Look at that terribly tailored uniform: it looks like it came off the rack at K-mart. Cruise won't spring for proper outfits?
    German WWII officers were impeccable in their dress: especially staff officers who had their uniforms tailor made. Claus von Stauffenberg was a Colonel not a Private.

This will certainly be a movie worth avoiding.

Posted by: Ednonymous | Jul 19, 2007 1:09:40 PM

5. Tom Cruise SUED a man who stated Tom and he had sex.

His lawsuit perpetuated the gay-is-bad mythology the Christian hate industry is working so hard to get people to believe.

For this (and for the fact he's a mediocre actor at best), I refuse ever to see any movie he's in.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 19, 2007 1:13:14 PM

6. Tom receive's a lot of criticism from people. He is perhaps one of the finest actors we have today. He always gives the best performance that he can. I also find that although I am not a Scientologist, I am impressed with the eloquence and success of those whom are Scientologist's. People either love Tom or they hate him. Tom is a great actor. His personal life is just that, personal.

Posted by: Mr. T | Jul 19, 2007 1:18:44 PM

7. I've never thought much of Tom Cruise, even back in the "Top Gun" days. His acting is horrible, and yeah he does seem to always play "himself" like John Wayne did.

I refuse to give one single dime to anything related to Scientology, so whenever a new Tom Cruise movie comes out I know to avoid it like the plague. Add this film to the list of movies I won't see, even for free.

I used to like Travolta, at least until his Scientology affiliation came to light. But he's no great actor, either.

Like Mormonism, I just don't understand how anyone who actually learns anything about Scientology can actually believe it. The specifics of the Xenu story are just laughable. It's not even good scifi!

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 19, 2007 1:35:12 PM

8. You don't have to be a great actor to be a great movie star. The poster who compared Cruise to John Wayne was absolutely right. You become a great movie star by having a screen persona that the public grows to recognize and enjoy. Very few screen actors become big (box office) stars by "burying themselves" in each new role...only Merryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman are the ones I can think of who are great actors as well as great movie stars.

And by the way, John Wayne gave an interview with Playboy in the late 1960s in which he spoke about, "Negroes and civil rights, and they (us Negroes) were demanding too much too soon." Still, I know many black folks (including me) who watch John Wayne movies on TV, and enjoy them. It is possible to separate the artist (or movie star) from their politics or religion.

Tom Cruise is one of the greatest movie stars of his generation (the 1990's), and a pretty good screen actor. Y'all want to punish somebody because of his wacky religion, y'all need to think of Mitt Romney, not Tommy...although Mitt's dad was a class act for a Repbulican.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 19, 2007 1:38:08 PM

9. I think his views on things such as medication and psychology are terribly archaic and the amount of energy and time he has spent trying to dissprove and silence tabloid trash seems a bit more desperate than the average male mega star. When it comes to his performances, however it has always seemed to me that he has been playing the same character since "Top Gun". The only, and I mean the only performances where I think he stretched into anything different and interesting were "Jerry Mcguire" and "Collateral". In "Collateral" he had a calm, cold, coniving, and manulative demeanor which was perfect. As a villian he seems a natural but as a hero he is just a dick head whom I would like to kick in the balls.

Posted by: Toto | Jul 19, 2007 1:55:52 PM

10. Actually, the real Von Stauffenberg was even better-looking than Cruise.

Posted by: Joe T. | Jul 19, 2007 2:10:53 PM

11. He looks like a little kid in a Halloween costume.

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 19, 2007 2:17:35 PM

12. P.S. : Derrick from Philly : I do think that's the healthiest attitude toward artwork, etc. If we omitted everything from our list of what we allow ourselves to enjoy because of one (or a few) things about the artist, subject, or product that was offensive, we'd probably be greatly limited. It's like with Jews enjoying Wagner or Tchaikovsky or even Henry Ford, the Irish with anything English, gays with Frank Lloyd Wright... (Turks with Telly Savalas..)

Posted by: Joe T. | Jul 19, 2007 2:19:50 PM

13. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!!

I already know the ending to this movie!

The Nazi played by Tom Cruise does NOT succeed in assasinating Hitler! Hilter survives!

Trust me on this. Sorry to ruin it for everyone.

Posted by: TONY THE TIGER | Jul 19, 2007 2:44:08 PM

14. Well, glad to see the 'pro-Tommy' folks have finally had their say. But really, TC has become a huge joke. Gays may have been the first salvo in this debate, but TC has sunk his own ship.

When asked, non-gay, female and male co-workers all had the same thing to say: He's a fucking freak. Maybe him and Jocko can hang out. I certainly hope they don't share much beyond their lack of reality.

Posted by: Madrigaal | Jul 19, 2007 4:02:40 PM

15. Tony, You may not a have a gay bone in your body but Ms. Cruise has had several gay boys' bones in his body. He wrestles with them, is laid by them and then pays them. I do not believe he is culturally gay but I believe that he is homosexual. Many gay men do not like him because he perpetuates the myth that being gay is shameful and his "religion" cliams to have a cure for what we all know to be an innate part of who we are and how we are made .

Posted by: rudy | Jul 19, 2007 4:55:10 PM

16. Why do you all care about Tom Cruise so much?

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jul 19, 2007 5:04:32 PM

17. I have to agree with those that compare Tom Cruise to John Wayne. Cruise plays Cruise and his acting range runs all the way from A to B. "Risky Business" was a good movie, a fun film. Of course "All The Right Moves" was mediocre and it might be worth seeing again if that penis is really Tom's or is it a body double? Tom's best roles are when he plays a wise ass, like in "A Few Good Men" and "Top Gun", I think that's the real Cruise. "Collateral" wasn't bad, I just got distracted by the hair color and Cruise's stiffness. And "The War of the Worlds" remake, why? The MI flicks were laughable. I just perceive a little natural feminine tinge to Tom in his voice and some of his actions, a little too fem for a "macho" spy or action figure IMHO.

I don't hate Cruise, nor do I like him very much. I think he's a little creepy, but if I lived his life, I might be even more creepy. I am a WWII buff and really just can't see Cruise doing justice to a portrayal of Colonel Count Von Stauffenberg. The Count was a complex and very serious man who struggled with only 3 fingers on one arm to set the bomb's fuse. I want to see if Cruise has the depth to even get close to portraying this heroic figure. I guess I'll wait for it to come on cable.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 19, 2007 5:23:15 PM

18. Joe T., after an adult lifetime of studying Frank Lloyd Wright, working at the Taliesin archives and collecting his housewares (furniture, rugs, china, et al), this is the first time I have ever seen a reference to his having a scrap of homophobia.

As a Unitarian, his was a religion that embraced queers before many others. His Taliesin Fellowship was strongly populated by gays, and his wife, Olgivanna, was the Prairie School Fag Hag. In conversations with gay men who knew him well, no one ever mentioned any kind of lingering resentment on Wright's part with regard to homosexuality.

Please explain.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 19, 2007 8:13:16 PM

19. yawn

Posted by: LotsOfThoughts | Jul 19, 2007 8:40:32 PM

20. YOU KNOW WHAT ALL THIS BUSINESS WITH LITTLE TOMMY IS,ITS WHAT THEY CALL THE NAPOLEAN SYNDROME.LITTLE SHORT MEN THAT HAVE TO BE NOISY AND DRAW ATTENTION TO THEMSELVES SO PEOPLE NOTICE THEM,AS THE LACK OF HEIGHT SOMETIMES MEANS THEY ARE IGNORED,POOR FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RICHARD | Jul 19, 2007 9:27:24 PM

21. Simply put, gays hate him because he doesn't want to admit he is one.

Tom Cruise's gayness is so well known that even mainstream comedians like Jay Leno pokes fun at his being "in the closet."

And he can only file lawsuits against so many people. When everyone's saying it, even the best lawyers have to give up.

Posted by: John | Jul 19, 2007 9:28:49 PM

22. HEY GUYS! I don't appreciate all the negative comments. Just go see my movie and judge it based on the quality of the movie not my private life!!!

TOM CRUISE

Posted by: Tom Cruise | Jul 20, 2007 12:24:35 AM

23. If only there would be a plot on the current Dictator we have like the movie plot.....that would be ideal.

Since that's obviously the only way we're EVER gonna get rid of him....and since he is just as evil as Hitler was.

I just feel sorry for Katie. She has NO idea what she's gotten herself into, and now looks so unhappy...but that baby is too cute! I just wonder who the father is, and how it was conceived, if it is indeed Tom's?

He really IS creepy....kinda like a Stepford Husband. You just know that Nicole is just glad to be outta that marriage. And if ANYONE needs a good psychiatrist and medication, it is TOM CRUISE !!!

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 20, 2007 1:40:48 AM

24. any excuse to wear a nazi outfit.....

Posted by: john | Jul 20, 2007 3:07:24 AM

25. Becks07 : Yes, I've been corrected. I was misinformed about Frank Lloyd Wright. (All gay guys feel free to enjoy his work. I do myself).

Posted by: Joe T. | Jul 20, 2007 6:08:07 AM