Art and Design | Damien Hirst | George Michael | News

George Michael's Wallet Feels "Exquisite Pain" with Hirst Purchase

Hirst_saintsebastian

George Michael, who is said to have his eye on Damien Hirst's diamond-encrusted skull, has gone ahead and opened his wallet for something a bit darker, a work by the artist entitled "Saint Sebastian, Exquisite Pain":

"The installation features the body of a black calf pierced by dozens of arrows and attached with cable to a steel post, set in a tank of formaldehyde. The artwork is based on the story of the martyr Saint Sebastian, whose biblical story inspired the 1976 homo-erotic film 'Sebastiane.'

At $7 million, it's reportedly Hirst's fourth most expensive creation.

You may have missed...
Shark Week at the New York Metropolitan Museum in August [tr]
Damien Hirst Pill Cabinet Sets Auction Record [tr]

Comments

1. Disgusting … GM needs to take a trip to Darfur. Perhaps it would inject a dose of perspective in his life.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2007 3:05:27 PM

2. That is excessively dumb.

Posted by: James | Jul 23, 2007 3:32:36 PM

3. Mmmmmmm.... to be able to look at that in my house everyday. Def worth 7 mil. :P

Posted by: Greg | Jul 23, 2007 3:43:18 PM

4. A inocent dead animal is considered art????? Next time buy a slaughterhouse you FREEK!

Posted by: Glen | Jul 23, 2007 3:43:38 PM

5. I have yet to get the appeal of Damian Hirst, or his "art".

Posted by: michael | Jul 23, 2007 3:45:28 PM

6. SICK

Posted by: David | Jul 23, 2007 3:46:45 PM

7. George Michael is obviously taking too many drugs and they have clouded his mind!

Posted by: whatever | Jul 23, 2007 3:49:58 PM

8. I'm a huge fan of art, whether traditional, modern, guerrilla, pretentious...but to me, this is not exquisite - just painful. It makes me sad. I'm going to go take a walk outside now & clear my head.

Andy, maybe you could post some things as NFSP (not for sane people).

Posted by: basis4insanity | Jul 23, 2007 3:54:09 PM

9. I need to stick a banana in a jar and pour some vodka on it and call it "art."

Posted by: homer | Jul 23, 2007 3:54:13 PM

10. Dark? Sure. Ethically questionable? Indubitably, but then again so are the shoes, belt, and handbag you sport. Interesting? Definitely.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Michaels, actually. He has a wicked martyr complex, and he definitely sees himself, or at least his past work, as an industrial product for mass consumption. It strikes me as pretty wry and sardonic commentary on his place in the celebrity market, including sites like this that veer towards the repackaging of items like this alongside pictures of minor and major celebrities in states of undress.

Definitely interesting.

Posted by: Tyler | Jul 23, 2007 3:56:27 PM

11. so during the early 1990's in London when Damien Hirst was HOT... george michael was asleep?
    why buy into the Hirst career so incredibly late?
    i suppose george michael is truly as idiotic an art collector as he is an entertainer.

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 23, 2007 4:30:39 PM

12. Jeez, you'd think people had never seen any of Hirst's pickled animals before. The worst thing about this is seeing DH repeat himself so unimaginatively.

Have you people never seen a picture of Saint Sebastian before, one of the biggest gay icons of all time (ask Oscar Wilde and Yukio Mishima):

And btw, how many complainees are vegans? I rarely eat meat and find Hirst fatuous compared to many lesser-known artists but the complaints here have reached the usual hysterical level whenever there's a posting about the art world.

Posted by: John C | Jul 23, 2007 4:54:38 PM

13. Wait, how about he gives me $6m and I do the exact same thing? That's a million dollars savings!

Another fine example of having more dollars than sense.

Posted by: Iko | Jul 23, 2007 5:15:14 PM

14. Taking an animal and putting arrows into it and hanging it up does not make art. I think it is a disgusting thing. Whether you eat meat or are a vegan it is still disgusting.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 23, 2007 10:48:53 PM

15. In a way, the "sculpture" is a perfect reflection of George Michael's psychic pain. I can see why a big star like him wishes to publicise and immortalise it for the $7 million price tag, which is of course the real art involved here, which GM seems to be unaware of -- and that is the art of fleecing.

Posted by: chet | Jul 24, 2007 8:56:22 AM

16. Once again, a sick commentary on the life of George Michael. But, then again, he must needs do something since he no longer may drive. Just plain horrific... I'll pray for him.

Posted by: John | Jul 24, 2007 9:46:09 AM

17. I think this is better then sliced humans in epoxy.

Posted by: yogger | Jul 24, 2007 2:57:03 PM

18. I think it is disgusting and I wouldn't call that art, it is a SLAUGHTERHOUSE. YUCK! If George thinks that it is good to spend his money on such things he definitely need physce help. He has been ripped off something severe.

Posted by: Jan McCafferty | Jul 25, 2007 6:09:32 AM

19. I think it is disgusting and I wouldn't call that art, it is a SLAUGHTERHOUSE. YUCK! If George thinks that it is good to spend his money on such things he definitely need physce help. He has been ripped off something severe.

Posted by: Jan McCafferty | Jul 25, 2007 6:10:18 AM

20. You are all such big girls blouses!
    Art is not a fixed thing, that can be described in a few short, concise sentances.
    Its open, joyful, expressionistic, evoking of the mind... basically, its whatever you want it to be.
    By your comments here, and in other Hirst related posts, the pre school fingerpaintings one places on the wall, to the delight of pre schoolers everywhere,are worth less as intrinsically they have no recognition, no substance, no 'soul'.
    But to a parent, they are more important than owning an original... Picasso, say.
    But, anyway, to most of you Queens, you never get 'it'.
    Andy, the site owner does... he has the intellectual ability to see, watch, learn, and then make succinct comments.
    Maybe, as an English Queen, we have a better education in art, and psychology?
    Curious.. most curious.
    And.. no Howlers to my comments please, only sensible debate. Thanks.
    Philip.

Posted by: Philip Yorkey | Jul 28, 2007 6:25:14 PM

21. commenter philip yorkey pleads for a "sensible debate". Where is his?

Posted by: chet | Jul 29, 2007 9:45:44 AM

22. If there's a test that can determine whether an object qualifies as "art," one primary criterion has to be "does it elicit a strong response in the viewer?" I'd say the St.Sebastian" piece passes with flying colors. It's really not required that you LIKE it!

Posted by: Barry Fitz | Apr 7, 2008 4:14:18 PM