Del Shores’ Sordid Lives Coming to Television

Del Shores’ Sordid Lives is coming to LOGO as a series featuring most of the film’s cast including Olivia Newton-John as Bitsy Mae. The series will be a prequel to the play and film.

JohndottleyFrom Olivia Newton-John’s website:

“Olivia has been offered the role of ‘Bitsy Mae’ in ‘Sordid Lives: The Series’ and has agreed to reprise her film role, subject to final negotiations. ‘Bitsy Mae’ appears in eleven out of the twelve episodes, with a much more pivotal role than in the film. Olivia will also write music that she will perform in many episodes and sing the familiar ‘Sordid Lives’ theme song during opening credits. Leslie Jordan (‘Brother Boy’), Delta Burke (‘Noleta’), Beth Grant (‘Sissy’), Ann Walker (‘LaVonda’), Rosemary Alexander (‘Dr. Eve’), Newell Alexander (‘Wardell’) and Sarah Hunley (‘Juanita’) have also been offered their film roles and have agreed to do them, subject to negotiations. The series will also introduce Jason Dottley (from the nationwide tour) as ‘Ty’.”

Dottley (pictured above with Newton-John), who has been married to Del Shores since October 2003, also announced the production on his MySpace page and says that a film adaptation of Shores’ Southern Baptist Sissies will go into production in 2008 and “will also star Leslie Jordan, Joey Kern, Delta Burke, Newell Alexander, and Rosemary Alexander, as well as Rich Delia, Emerson Collins and T. Ashanti Mozelle” and Dottley.

Comments

1. 24play says

Leland, have you heard about BET’s new Thursday night line-up? “The Amos ’n’ Andy Hour” followed by “Stepin Fetchit Live!”

I love niche cable!

2. Leland says

DB, I DO have a sense of humor, e.g., I find the fact that you imply that it would be any different from the film ludicrous given that it’s virtually all the same creators and players. I saw the film and, unlike many others, loathed it. White trailer trash CAN be done funny [e.g., “My Name is Earl”] and I generally break up the moment Leslie Jordan simply appears, but “Lives” was neither sordid nor funny —it was trailer trash/drag queen “by numbers.” For wigs with wit see the original “La Cage Aux Folles” as I commented below in the thread about the death of the actor who made Zaza immortal whereas “Brother Boy” was DOA.

3. LD says

I agree with Leland. I find Sordid Lives decidedly unfunny. Lowest common denominator pandering homo drivel. Oh, sure, all the queens down here in the South cackle around the TV on their 47th viewing. “My mama’s just like that! BWAHAHA.” Ugh. What is so funny about that unwitty, unwatchable film I will never know.

4. qjersey says

Lets hope the production values are better for the series. The film has the production level of a Canadian kids show…really amateurish and cheap looking.

At least these actors know “camp,” the original series HERE! are SOOOOOO bad and the pretty actors don’t seem to get that its camp.

(My boyfriend only likes to watch the HERE series for the fleeting glimpses of penis and numerous ass shots, lol)

5. John Osher says

This is so exciting. This is one of the funniest movies EVER and it’s so cool that Delta Burke, Olivia Newton-John and Leslie Jordan are coming back for it!

6. Tommy says

How cool is this. Delta and Olivia are fabulous, and Leslie Jordan is a riot, but for me it’s Beth Grant (Sissy) and Sarah Hunley (Juanita) who walked away with the movie. I’m so glad that both of these wonderful actresses are doing the series. I saw the national tour in Ft. Lauderdale and it was insane. And the new Ty is VERY hot and was really good in the role.

7. Will says

Ah Ft. Lauderdale, the Stratford-on-Avon of South Florida. “Land of hope; land of hemp.” And home to the deevoon, simply deevoon Ft. Lauderdale Swap Shop and the world’s largest drive-in movie the-a-tur. Hon, while you’re up could you get me another Nehi grape and a MoonPie?

8. says

How cool is this. Delta and Olivia are fabulous, and Leslie Jordan is a riot, but for me it’s Beth Grant (Sissy) and Sarah Hunley (Juanita) who walked away with the movie. I’m so glad that both of these wonderful actresses are doing the series. I saw the national tour in Dallas, but live in Orlando FL, and it was insane. And the new Ty is VERY hot, Hot I say and was amazing in the role.

9. GratefulGrace says

Finally a great show on LOGO. I’m so excited. Shame on Leland for just being an asshole about everything. Brother Boy DOA? God I feel sorry for you and your sad sad life with no humor. Leslie Jordan is out, proud and FUNNY as shit in everything he does. And Delta, Beth Grant, Olivia, the entire cast was just perfect. Does anybody know if Beau Bridges is doing the series? SORDID LIVES ROCKS MY WORLD!

10. Bobby says

Speaking as a southern homo who loves his heritage and his home, the movie is fabulous. If you northern people can’t find the humor in it, sorry, it’s probably over your head and we have a little saying for people like you, “bless your hearts”.

(which means fuck you)

11. Land Anderson says

I’ve been a fan of Shore’s work since ‘Daddy’s Dyin.’
    In the movie Wardell in his tighty whitey underwear is hysterical. Everyone should get a chance to ‘LET IT ALL HANGOUT!’
    I just hope the series is as loaded with giggles as the movie!

12. HOPPER says

I love this series, i am hooked and i am not even lesbian/gay,though my best friend is. the characters chemistry is awesome.. hysterical yet subjects that need to addressed do get through to the viewing audience. i hope this show stays on and makes it. love it love it love it.. someone needs to beat up brother boys therapist in an episode.lol or in some episode have her come out of the closet(what a hoot) she could be so against gays because she is in denial.
    keep up the good work wednesdays cant come fast enough for me.