Colorado | Gay Pride | News

Telluride "Straight Pride" Parade Marchers No Joke, Say Some

Straightpride

Telluride, Colorado's 4th of July parade had an unusual entry — a group of marchers dressed as the "Straight Pride Brigade." Participants explain that it was meant as "a satire of the over-the-top gay pride parades in cities like New York or San Francisco."

The Telluride Daily Planet reports: "On July 4, a dozen Telluride residents suffered into polyester pants and scratchy sweaters, combed their hair flat and slipped on loafers and pumps to become the Straight Pride marchers. They whooped and waved and kissed in the middle of main street (girls kissing boys, naturally). But it was the group’s signs that most rankled some on the sidelines. Some seemed innocent enough (one said, simply, 'I like boys') but others were less gentle, saying 'I’m Over the Rainbow' or 'Not in my Backdoor.'"

Some residents of the Colorado town, which hosts a gay ski week every year, were not amused.

Said Boulder resident Gretchen Norham: "They were clearly nothing more than an anti-gay hate group. Shame on this group. Shame on the judges. I expected better from people in Telluride."

Another observer said : "It was intended to be funny, biting humor, but some of the signs were not funny. But there was just something about it. Some of the signage was anti-gay."

Another resident, real estate agent Matt Hintenmeister, along with some who wrote letters to the Daily Planet, wants an apology: "They don’t really understand what their float was about. They say that it was all just a joke. Even if it was, they should have realized that it was in really poor taste, and come out publicly and apologized."

Ethan Hale, who marched with the group, defended the idea: "I thought it was going to be a funny idea, so I was up for it. A lot of people are misconstruing it. It was, first and foremost, a joke. It was not homophobic."

The "Straight Pride" marchers took second place in the parade competition's humor category.

Paraders wanted only laughs [telluride daily planet]
Avoid Telluride until town apologizes for “Straight Pride” float [telluride daily planet - letters]
Celebrating in Style [plum tv]

(image source)

Comments

1. Shane -

Grim and humorless, like our lesbian sisters? You mean like Kate Clinton, Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen Degeneres, Lea Delaria, Lily Tomlin, and Agnes Moorehead?

Posted by: JOE 2 | Jul 16, 2007 7:43:42 PM

2. If they really wanted to have a "Straight Pride" parade, they'd have Guilliani in the front with his three wives, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan showing off their fish tacos, Pamela Anderson taking it in the rear for Tommy, the countless advertisers who publish heterosexual advertisements, numerous famous straight couples, ETC ETC ETC.

A lot of the commentators seem to be too young to understand why gay pride parades started in the first place. After the Stonewall incident in N.Y.C., pride parades were initially enacted to counteract intolerance. As the years passed, it became an "Outfest", intentionally vulgar and in your face in order to counter act the heterosexual mass media. Pride parades were the one day in the year that the gay community could put gay sex in the face of the straight community, as heterosexual sex was/is everyone. In movies, TV, advertisements. Gay Pride was a backlash to that, and still is as the gay community has a long way to go.

Posted by: Gay Pride Parades | Jul 16, 2007 7:45:05 PM

3. Having to go all the way to the minor actions of a few people in an insignificant Colorado mountain town for the "daily offense" shows that we actually may be getting somewhere in the quest for equal rights.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 16, 2007 7:48:30 PM

4. Gay Pride Parades --

Might I add that most of the "offensive" parades take place in cities that already accept (pretty much, at least) gays. Try having a tiny little in-offensive parade in someplace like Simi Valley in California or a small town in Kansas.....oooo-ooo, or how about Moscow or Israel where you can be beaten to a pulp by police or blown up by religious neanderthals. Israel and Moscow, that's what I call straight pride.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 16, 2007 7:52:06 PM

5. As someone else commented, straight people do not have the right to deem what is humorous about the gay community and what is not based on gay pride. This is dangerous territory indeed. Nothing about a "Straight Pride Parade" is humorous. How many heterosexual people have been murdered or victimized for being straight?

Regardless of whether of not gay pride parades are extreme, it is no excuse for heterosexual people to ridicule a minority group.

As for someone who said gay pride parades contribute nothing to society: That has got to be the most ignorant comment I have read in a long time. Gay pride (not just the parades) raise awareness and money for many important causes. Do not let the extreme aspects of the pride parades over shadow the positive effects that gay pride parades do have for their respective cities. That would be ignorant.

Posted by: Qwerty | Jul 16, 2007 7:53:05 PM

6. "That would be ignorant."

I disagree; there's no reason for gay pride parades to be the way they are - there's no place such behavior comes from, and because NO ONE can question the gay community, it has gone on unchecked.

This is ridiculous.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 8:05:12 PM

7. It seems Joe is another self loathing homosexual. Joe, sweets, I think you need to buy a clue. Really. Just because you don't like gay pride parades or because you weren't picked for dodgeball in grade school doesn't mean that "there's no reason for gay pride parades to be the way they are". Who died and made you the guru on gay pride history? ... and please, tell that line about gay pride parades not doing anything good to the young homeless homosexuals who receive clothing and shelter from gay pride donations as their family's have rejected them for being gay, or the individuals who have receive financial legal support for being hate crime victims, or the hate crime bills and other anti-hate legislation that gets signatures and approvals from gay pride parades and the floats that sponsor them. Your commentary is pure ignorance, plain and simple.

Posted by: Voice of Reason | Jul 16, 2007 8:13:32 PM

8. In the words of many a gay man - "Girl's get over it!"

It's no worse than drag humor, Margaret Cho making fun of straight people or Kathy Griffin's D-List. It was good natured satire even if some of the signs were stupid. I don't think they meant any harm. Laugh...it's flattering in some strange way...

Posted by: Pugzz | Jul 16, 2007 8:15:53 PM

9. I think the phrase everyone is looking for is "mean-spirited" which is what a lot of "conservative humor" is. And they have a every right to do it and i'll defend that right.

As for our "wonderful" pride events (ours is 3 days) - they have become a means onto themselves. They are highly commercialized events that contain a lot of things that are offensive to many people. There are so many other ways to raise awareness and to raise funds for causes so that is just a weak excuse for a few days in july of drinking and debauchery. Not that there isn't anything wrong with that. :)

Posted by: yoshi | Jul 16, 2007 8:18:19 PM

10. Pugzz, I'll get over it as soon as they get over us.

Joe, I should have known, you're only 18, just a babe from Milwaukee, that explains so much.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 16, 2007 8:21:07 PM

11. I think that we are becoming a bit hypersensitive. If we keep crying about every little thing that we deem offensive and homophobic, we'll lose credibility for those offenses that are truly damaging.

I agree with the majority of you who thought this was ridiculous, but I don't think it warrants outrage. If I'm at all offended, it's by the ignorance of those individuals who obviously don't realize why there are Pride parades to begin with.

Let's lighten up folks. Life shouldn't be this heavy. Does it suck...yes! Is it fair...no! But, is it worth all of this aggravation...absolutely NOT!

Posted by: Keith | Jul 16, 2007 8:25:36 PM

12. the thing that strikes me about this isn't that it's offensive, it just isn't that funny though humor was supposedly what they were trying to achieve. "I'm just french"? huh? how about "I'm just english" which makes more sense.

we've seen gay related humor on south park which can be funny because it's so toungue in cheek. this was like a third rate road show with bad actors. don't just get politically correct, get some sense of comedy and then maybe we'd believe you.

Posted by: hughman | Jul 16, 2007 8:28:43 PM

13. oh lighten up girls, damn. it was meant to be funny, and it pretty much was funny. and the signs said "not in my backdoor" not, "not in my backyard." don't lose your reading skills along with your sense of humor. you can tell from the costumes, and the signs that its tongue in cheek, and they're more making fun of "straight stereotypes" than gay ones. but even if they were, so what. theres a lot of funny things about gay stereotypes, and lets face it, a lot of gay people hew pretty damn close to those stereotypes. and we gay people make fun of them along with everybody else...admit it, you do. you know you do. and that doesn't make you a hater. and god, what is it with all the anti gay pride. it is what its always been, and everyone goes from liking it, and even needing it, to growing up and away from it. just because you're over it, doesn't mean somebody else doesn't get a charge out of it. let 'em. so, enough from me. except for the lesbian hater. fuck you you mysogynist asshole. there, so the point is, let humor be humor, don't suck the life out of it by demanding that any edge be removed from it. and quit on the "eating our own" shit. seriously.

Posted by: dan | Jul 16, 2007 8:31:44 PM

14. I think the main issue isn't whether or not gay parades are over the top, it is about a group of people who are using the excuse of humor to cover up homophobia. Articles have stated some of the signs used said "Not in my backyard", "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve", and "I'm over the rainbow". These are clearly not gay friendly signs and certainly portray a sense of intolerance. I can laugh at gay stereotypes like anybody, but in this instance I have to agree that this is in bad taste. Am I getting my panties in a bunch? No, there are bigger fish to fry. However, I would hate to see a trend start, and by being silent, we are in essence saying that it's ok. It isn't.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 8:35:51 PM

15. Dan, some articles state "Not in my backdoor" and some "not in my backyard". Either way, tomato, tomatah, they aren't very gay friendly.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 8:43:34 PM

16. Wasn't sure what I thought until I read some of the comments (if you go with your gut reaction with an item like this then you're thinking with your gut and not your brain).

Anyway I agree with Keith's comment,"Does it suck...yes! Is it fair...no! But, is it worth all of this aggravation...absolutely NOT!"

If you don't understand the power of the Parade then you don't understand the historical context. Do I like EVERY SINGLE FLOAT in the PARADE? Well fuck no. Likely cause they don't all REPRESENT ME!

Get over yourselves. Not every fag with a boa or buttless chaps is causing anti-gay laws to pass in your country. Talk about blaming the victim!

In Toronto we have police and ambulance drivers march in the parade. Do we have people in the Military service? No. Not YET. But we will. And when we do we will see it as a sign of progress. We'll laugh at the Nude Men group and scowl at the moving circuit-party-meets-booze-ad but we'll still cheer at the PFLAG group and the politicans who MUST march if they want to win the next election. It wasn't always this way and THAT'S THE POINT.

As for you bitter 'mos who hate the parade - well - go start your own tradition. I'm 'over' the parades too but it doesn't mean I don't understand why they're important.

Anyway too many of you have left your buttplugs in.

Posted by: Justin... | Jul 16, 2007 9:00:10 PM

17. Ok, I read the article, the commentary and other related bits of information on this issue. I took a shower, thought about it, weighed both sides of the debate, and my thoughts are this:

1. A group of heterosexual people in a small town in Colorado marched in a Fourth of July parade (nothing to do with gay pride) as "Straight Pride" people.

2. Some of them held signs that read "Not in my backdoor" (or yard, depending on which article you read, seems they got it wrong), "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" (a very popular anti-gay statement) and "I'm over the rainbow".

3. There is a website making a profit off of gear from this group, with items stating "Straight Pride in Telluride" (who is making money off of this?).

4. This group came in second place in a humor contest for the parade.

Ok, now, a few people state that the gay community should get a sense of humor, and that gay pride parades are over the top and deserve to be ridiculed.

If those statements are from gay people, I am baffled. Either there are some self loathing gay men on here or Telluride has some excellent P.R. people doing damage control.

First, these people are not our friends. Sure, have a sense of humor, laughing at yourself is important in life. However, these people are making fun of us, and not in a tongue in cheek way. They are using humor as a way of covering up homophobia. Period.

Second, they are selling gear, as Cory pointed out, at this website:

This does not indicate a "one time", tongue in cheek joke. They are perpetuating this stereotype and joke by selling clothing. If I came across someone wearing a "Straight Pride" t-shirt I can guarantee that I would not be thrilled nor would I find it funny.

Third, we have not come this far to be the butt of some heterosexuals joke.

This whole situation wreaks of intolerance, shrouded in humor. Nothing about this is funny. Nothing.

Posted by: Theo | Jul 16, 2007 9:10:24 PM

18. Thanks Justin, you definitely bring in perspective and reason into this discussion. Thanks =).

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 9:12:02 PM

19. "I think the main issue isn't whether or not gay parades are over the top, it is about a group of people who are using the excuse of humor to cover up homophobia"

I think that's a valid concern, but it's almost as if they're mocking the Fred Phelps of the world, and in doing so - are they actually being homophobic? With the previous history of the parade - flag burning, etc., as the article mentions, isn't this a satire? I mean, the person holding the Adam and Steve nonsense - do we have a context for that?

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 9:13:38 PM

20. Besides - wouldn't the most ardent homophobes conjour a 'straight pride parade' in utter seriousness?

Are they really mocking gay pride parades?

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 9:15:34 PM

21. I say we get back at them by holding a genuine, bona fide, Telluride Gay Pride Parade. Import all the drag queens, muscle men, femme lesbians, leather daddies, dykes on bikes, and trannies from cities all across Amerikkka to Telluride, CO for a looooooooooooooooooong weekend of GLBT Pride. That should show 'em not to make fun of us queers.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 16, 2007 9:53:15 PM

22. I have lived in Atlanta for many years and have attended (and marched in) many parades during the gay pride festival. Many years ago, the parade was VERY rowdy and coarse. The atmosphere was very sexualized. Lots of nudity, lots of exhibitionism.

(In fact, one of my favorite memories of my first few pride festivals was of an old, bearded man running around in an antebellum hoop skirt - who then flashed everyone by lifting up his dress to reveal the biggest and most vulgar dildo I've ever seen!)

Nowadays, the pride event has become much more mainstream and "family" oriented. I see less and less of the overt sexualized displays and more and more of "just plain folks". Mind you, there are still those out there who exercise their personal rights to the fullest - and that is OK with me - and go "too far" in some people's view.

At least in Atlanta, the media is doing a better job of not focusing on the "freaks" and instead covering the "regular people" who make up 98% of the group. There will always be the obligatory drag queens and butch dykes, but increasingly the faces seen at these events are just like those people see every day at work and even at the grocery store!

That being said... we should ALL keep in mind that many of those "freaks" who some find embarassing are actually those who worked to make it possible for the rest of us to come out and show up at pride events. Without the hard work and the risks taken by those who pioneered pride events all over the country, we'd not be as free as we are today to be honest and open about our lives.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 16, 2007 9:54:19 PM

23. It never fails to amaze me how some people can create a reason to be offended about anything that satirizes them even mildly --- enough to press their mental "I'm being attacked" button.

A few years ago there was a float in a Gay Pride Parade --- I think it was in L.A. --- titled "Gays Against Brunch!" And believe it or not, some people didn't realize that it was tongue-in-cheek, that they weren't actually attacking the "guppies" that go to upscale political brunches usually held at the fancy downtown hotels. Some took it seriously, saying "Oh, this is the poor welfare gays attacking the callousness of the well-moneyed, upper-middle-class gays!" Wrong, Quasimodo! They were just making a clever and somewhat subtle joke!

I think if the straights in the "Straight Pride" contingent wanted to be homophobic, they have smarts enough to make that intention clear. And if Telluride didn't think our money was good enough, they wouldn't invite us there for a fun weekend of skiing every year. Lighten up, dudes!

Posted by: Sebastian V | Jul 16, 2007 9:58:43 PM

24. Maybe NBC or Universal can pick up the rights to this and offer the lead to Isaiah Washington.

Posted by: GE | Jul 16, 2007 10:02:58 PM

25. I'm sorry, but I think if I had seen this I would have laughed my ass off. To those offended I say lighten up and recognize a good joke! And that, I'm sorry, was a good joke. I have many straight friends that nudge my gay sensibilities every now and again (as I nudge their straight sensibilities every now and again). And it seems to me that our collective inability to laugh is spiraling out of control and it seems that we are looking for ways to be offended.

Posted by: Joe H. | Jul 16, 2007 10:17:52 PM