Judge David Young | Miami | News

Exclusive: Gay Judge David Young Takes the Bench Next Month

Here comes the gay judge. Judge David Young will be hosting a new daily half-hour series beginning on September 10th, doling out sentences with the assistance of his sidekick, Bailiff Tawya Young.

Young was born and raised in Miami (and lives there currently with his partner of 12 years), served as assistant state attorney in Miami-Dade County under Janet Reno, and was re-elected twice as a Circuit Court judge there before leaving to hit the national airwaves. Among his more well-known cases is one in which he sent two America West pilots to jail in 2005 for attempting to operate a commercial airliner while intoxicated.

Tawya Young, his bailiff, served as a lieutenant in Brooklyn Civil-Small Claims Court.

Find out more about the show at its official website. We'll be talking to Judge Young in the weeks to come.

Here's an exclusive clip on the upcoming show.

Comments

1. Oh dear. Really? Do we really need yet another show like this?

Yawn.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 14, 2007 4:46:51 PM

2. "Justice with a snap!"

Are you f*ckin' kidding me?

Posted by: RP | Aug 14, 2007 4:47:36 PM

3. oh, great, another middle aged white fag who wants to be a sassy black woman...yuck

Posted by: SnapQueen | Aug 14, 2007 5:02:37 PM

4. This is depressing and pathetic...

Posted by: Dave | Aug 14, 2007 5:08:07 PM

5. not impressed. a judge in florida? the same place where gays can't adopt? thanks for being the catalyst for any progress there judge. i'll stick to judge judy. she has bigger balls.

Posted by: sean | Aug 14, 2007 5:12:29 PM

6. Jeez, what a queen. He'll probably be a big hit on TV. Middle America loves stereotypical homos!

Posted by: Dear God | Aug 14, 2007 5:25:12 PM

7. I thought he seemed charming. Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: Aaron | Aug 14, 2007 5:26:01 PM

8. I hope that if ever I end up in a court room, he would be the judge. That way I would get off, after him first, of course.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 14, 2007 5:48:19 PM

9. I don't understand why nobody sees this stuff in the bigger picture.

Regardless of how stereotyped his behavior is, he is a FRIKIN' JUDGE!

Don't any of you get it that this is exactly the kind of stuff we need so main stream America doesn't automatically think "swishy" equals: weak, stupid, flaky or immoral?

Think about it this way: kids are gonna grow up seeing a flaming, OUT, gay judge on tv. Then as adults those kids won't even blink at the idea of electing gay officials, hiring gay lawyers, etc,.

...and (before you say it) NO, it doesn't matter that it's just some stupid court tv show. In fact, that's probably the best way into the American psyche.

Posted by: rich | Aug 14, 2007 5:50:26 PM

10. "who wants to be a sassy black woman" How sadly true!

"Justice with a Snap! Here comes de fag! Here comes de fag!"

In other news, Ross the Intern has announced a deal with Costco who will exclusively distribute his line of frozen "Silly Queens for Insecure Straight People." Just defrost in the microwave whenever you're feeling down and laugh, laugh your blues away. Particularly on those occasions when your girlfriend has dumped you or she's mocked your James & the Not So Giant Peaches. Not sold where prohibited by belief that all gays are not dickless clowns or freak shows put on earth for your amusement and feelings of superiority.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Aug 14, 2007 5:52:52 PM

11. Who cares if he's a stereotypical gay. There's millions of stereotypical gays. GET OVER IT! I swear it's annoying how much butch gays think they're so fucking special because they're somehow normal and follow the standard practices of what is considered being a man. "SNAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Posted by: Tear | Aug 14, 2007 5:54:53 PM

12. For reasons I don't comprehend, I've come to enjoy watching two "reality" court shows: Judge Mathis and People's Court. I can't stand the rest of them, nor do I generally watch "reality" television.

That said, I'm less concerned about adding yet another court show to the schedule and more concerned with yet another gay (fey!) stereotype being portrayed. I'm sure he's an accomplished person and judge. Is this the best way to convey that?

And while I don't think any one person should be expected to represent an entire class of people, if your shtick is being the "gay" judge, that's exactly what you're doing. Well, he's not the person I want to represent me.

Posted by: manifoldstore.com | Aug 14, 2007 5:55:35 PM

13. I'm all for a gay judge, but he makes me uncomfortable. No more uncomfortable than Judge Jusy, I guess.

Posted by: Dean | Aug 14, 2007 5:56:02 PM

14. I think it's great that Judge Young is out and proud. We should be supporting him. He's funny and cute too...

Posted by: Brian | Aug 14, 2007 6:12:59 PM

15. He's awesome. Going to be a hit. 4 snaps for him.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 14, 2007 6:40:38 PM

16. He looks almost as fun as Judge Judy. I'd love to meet him for cocktails. 2 all u homophobic homos, Frankie says relax!

Posted by: Petey | Aug 14, 2007 6:40:59 PM

17. To those who hate the fact that he's so stereotypical, get the fck over yourselves! It's your internalized homophobia that's getting at you.
    Judge David Young seems funny and yes he's swishy but so are a lot of other gays... SO WHAT?!

Posted by: Astro | Aug 14, 2007 7:56:19 PM

18. I'm all for out, gay judges ... one who acts like a judge, though, and not a queen. This is a judge?... come on! Judges are supposed to be wise, dignified beings who instill within us a need to take them seriously. Judges aren't supposed to be about themselves and their flashy personality. Judges are supposed to listen carefully and then dispense wisdom. This guy makes it seem like he's always saying something catty. Give me a break...

Posted by: Shawn | Aug 14, 2007 8:37:48 PM

19. Kick Ass! who gives a shit as long as our tribe is on air. The women who watch this show are stay at home moms and god willing they find him halfway funny (which he is by the way. And as their little rugrats play in front of the plasma, they might just grow up to be a little more open to the rest of us. Give the girl a break - he's out there and acting as positive role model. Now the next peice of justice that needs to be served with a snap is the one on your bitter asses (Brian,Snapqueen,Dave and any other non-inclusive bitch out there.) xoxo

Posted by: beau1 | Aug 14, 2007 8:41:11 PM

20. Hmm...

I could be wrong, but isn't his "stereotypical" nature his selling point? Judge Judy is mean. The Black judges insert their moments of "common" attitude ("mm-hmm, sister!") and, apparently, this is the gay version.

Should we blame Hizzoner for going along with it?

I don't know...

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 14, 2007 9:03:37 PM

21. Oh, an effeminate gay man screeching and mincing on tv you say?...I've NEVER seen that...it's a good thing the audience will be laughing WITH him and not AT him...because we never laugh and make fun of queeny gay guys in real life...this is just the sort of thing those straight guys that went to see I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry need to let them know, we're here, we're queer and we're not gonna take thissssssssss any more....z snap formation.

We are truly our own worst enemy...straights have little to fear from us.... next stop Desperate Housewives....

Posted by: Don't Think So | Aug 14, 2007 9:19:32 PM

22. Gone...

Posted by: John | Aug 14, 2007 9:46:56 PM

23. So why was the clip deleated?

Posted by: zabadak | Aug 14, 2007 9:56:09 PM

24. no judge with any degree of honor would agree to perform a television show.

Posted by: A.J. | Aug 14, 2007 10:16:13 PM