Film | John August | News | Playing Gay | Ryan Reynolds

First Nine Minutes: Ryan Reynolds and The Nines

Rr1

Those who might have been disappointed that The Advocate's recent Ryan Reynolds profile on his new movie The Nines didn't feature any skin should be happy that Reynolds wastes no time losing his shirt in the first nine minutes of The Nines, which has been posted online.

Rr2 Rr3

The opening scene concerns a troubled actor hitting rock bottom. His attempts at escapism finds him drunk, cruising the streets of L.A. in order to buy some crack. And that's where our story begins.

Here's the clip:

More on The Nines and the interview of Reynolds by writer/director John August here.

Rr4

I should mention that the film's gay pedigree not only includes writer/director August, but also American Beauty producers Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks. The Nines opens in theaters on August 31 in limited release.

Previously
Ryan Reynolds on Homophobia, the Closet, and Gay Rumors [tr]

Comments

1. man takes of shirt. gays go gaga. film at 11.

honestly, is this what we've reduced ourselves to? so sad.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Aug 16, 2007 12:27:30 PM

2. man takes of shirt. gays go gaga. film at 11.

honestly, is this what we've reduced ourselves to? so sad.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Aug 16, 2007 12:27:42 PM

3. man takes of shirt. gays go gaga. film at 11.

honestly, is this what we've reduced ourselves to? so sad.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Aug 16, 2007 12:28:11 PM

4. man takes of shirt. gays go gaga. film at 11.

honestly, is this what we've reduced ourselves to? so sad.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Aug 16, 2007 12:28:22 PM

5. man takes of shirt. gays go gaga. film at 11.

honestly, is this what we've reduced ourselves to? so sad.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Aug 16, 2007 12:28:34 PM

6. PSGOODGUY:

you need therapy.

next time you see a girl take off her shirt in a movie and the straight guys go gaga, you can feel even more superior.

Posted by: sammy | Aug 16, 2007 12:31:10 PM

7. At first I thought this movie was about me until I saw that it was plural. Blush.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 16, 2007 12:37:22 PM

8. I am only going to see the film for Hope Davis she is an amazing actress. Just like I went to see the 300 for the Lena Headey who played the Queen.

Alright the real deal is I am a fan of Ryan Reynolds and not merely for the hunk factor but it helps. I had hoped he would have been better in "Smokin Aces". He was horrible in "Waiting" and "Blade 3", however it would have been hard to act in such awful films. I liked 2 Guys and a Pizza so I sort of followed his trail.

Also the film has an intersting idea; so I am going to see if I can snag some free passes from the local newspaper. I do hate to pay for movies.

Posted by: Charles | Aug 16, 2007 12:40:39 PM

9. psgoodguy, to clarify, your post should read " Ryan Reynolds takes off shirt, gays go gaga, film at 11". Because yeah, I do. What's your point?

Posted by: secretagentman | Aug 16, 2007 12:52:48 PM

10. This looks like a great movie. I can't wait to see it.

It totally reminded me of some of my drugged out crazy days and adventures....ah, the fun times!

And Ryan Reynolds, what can I say? He's the number 2 hot guy on my list of Hollywood actors that drives me wild, so I will be also be buying this on dvd probably.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 16, 2007 1:05:37 PM

11. Rule number one in show biz is don’t let the character actors steal the show. Every time Ryan’s in a scene with another actor he can’t keep the focus on himself the prostitute and the agents assistant steal both scenes from him. Are they that good or is he that bad?

Posted by: ggreen | Aug 16, 2007 1:38:53 PM

12. Ryan's movies should just go straight to Lifetime TV or he should just do everything without his shirt on.

Posted by: stan | Aug 16, 2007 2:06:34 PM

13. How Stella Got Her Groove Back.
    Alanis Morissette, "Ironic."
    Misery.

Any other references I didn't catch?

Posted by: yclept | Aug 16, 2007 2:14:34 PM

14. This looks pretty shitty to me. I had no idea it would be so indie.

Posted by: caramatt | Aug 16, 2007 2:33:08 PM

15. A man who looks like Reynolds could never hit rock-bottom in Hollywood. There would always be work somewhere for a flawlessly handsome hunk, regardless of talent level. Sure, Reynolds has been luckier than most, but even if he hadn't been lucky, he'd never hit "rock-bottom" as long as he was still physical perfection. Unless it's referring to him having emotional/personal-life difficulties which perhaps it is.

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 16, 2007 2:53:10 PM

16. Ryan is as yummy as ever, but the film looks dreadful.

Posted by: Gil | Aug 16, 2007 2:54:52 PM

17. Wow. Can you say "Bad Film School?" This looks so amateur-ish. Who is this John August? And can we make him go away?

Posted by: jjabely | Aug 16, 2007 5:10:28 PM

18. Crack-- It does a body good.

Apparently.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 16, 2007 6:06:04 PM

19. Well who said anything about acting? I doubt he has to worry about practicing any Oscar speeches....I was just talking about how yummy he looks.

And that actress who plays the prostitute...LOVE HER! She is always hilarious in everything she does.

It might be a train-wreck of a movie, but might be cute nonetheless. Does every damn movie have to be Oscar-worthy to garner praise? I'm gonna see it to remind me of my crazy drug-fueled insane life (of not too long ago)...that wasn't too unenjoyable, actually. Reality is greatly overrated sometimes, anyway.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 16, 2007 6:17:50 PM

20. So hot. There should be a law.

Charles - Isn't Lena Headey great? I had never seen her before 300, but she was definitely the best part of that movie.

Posted by: Nate Nelson | Aug 16, 2007 7:01:51 PM

21. Uh-huh. Like someone on crack is built like that? I thought Andy was smarter than this.

Posted by: Observer | Aug 16, 2007 7:34:26 PM

22. JJABELY:

John August wrote Go, Charlie's Angels, Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He also gives away a ton of free information and tips about screenwriting on his blog that's more helpful than what you would find in most books on the subject.

Posted by: James | Aug 16, 2007 11:14:49 PM

23. Adding to the gay pedigree is the other producer, Dan Etheridge, who is also a producer of VERONICA MARS. Go team!

Posted by: matt | Aug 16, 2007 11:28:18 PM

24. Did no one else notice the MASSIVE parallels between this opening sequence and that from "Leaving Las Vegas"?

Posted by: VR | Aug 17, 2007 1:53:21 AM

25. yclept & VR...

i can't recall 'Leaving Las Vegas' but my first reference was from Augusten Burrought's second memoir 'DRY'...
    how the character bought crack and got a hooker to teach him how to use..... MASSIVE parallels there...

Posted by: riley | Aug 17, 2007 7:14:49 AM