GOP “Rising Star” Glenn Murphy Steps Down Over Gay Sex Assault

The Young Republican National Federation acted quickly to scrub any mention of their recently elected leader Glenn Murphy from their websites, according to DailyKos, after several Indiana websites broke the news that Murphy, a “rising star” in the Indiana GOP and the leader of the Clark County Republicans, had stepped down after police charged him with “Criminal Deviate Conduct”, a class B felony, for sexually assaulting another man following a Young Republicans party.

GlennmurphyAdvance Indiana notes: “Murphy, who also serves as chairman of the Clark Co. Republicans, has been viewed as a rising star in the Indiana and national GOP. His consulting firm has advised congressional candidates like that of former U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel (R). He is fond of using divisive wedge issues, such as gay marriage, to promote his candidates.”

From the police report:

“In a shocking police report filed by the Clark Co. Sheriff’s office, Murphy is accused of sexually assaulting another man on Saturday, July 28, 2007, while he lay sleeping in his bed. The alleged assault of the 22-year-old man took place in the Jeffersonville, Indiana home of his sister following a Young Republican party in which both Murphy and the 22-year-old man had been in attendance. The victim’s sister had urged both men to spend the night at her home because of the amount of alcohol the two had consumed during the party. The victim awoke in the morning to find Murphy performing oral sex on him according to the report. When the victim asked Murphy what he was doing, he responded: “He was holding his dick with one hand and sucking my dick with his mouth.” The victim then pushed Murphy away, gathered his personal belongings and left. Murphy was later confronted with the charges by the victim’s sister according to the report. The sister says Murphy admitted to her that he performed the sex act on her brother.”

Murphy sent out a letter informing the YRs that he had received a job offer and would no longer be able to perform his duties as their president.

Murphy’s lawyer posted this note in the comments section in the original thread from blog ‘taking down words’ defending his client. In the letter he notes that Murphy has not been charged with a crime nor arrested, and notes that Murphy contends that the actions were between two consenting adults.

DailyKos writes: “If the allegations are true, then this is a leader in the GOP (at least for Indiana, if not nationally) who committed a crime. If he is deemed innocent — which would depend upon the police or courts finding the act was between two consenting adults — then the hypocrisy of the situation speaks for itself.”

Indiana’s Own: Recently Elected Nat’l Young Republican Chair Goes Down? [taking down words]
Questions Surround Rising Indiana GOP Star [advance indiana]
GOP Sex Scandal: Young Republican Prez [daily kos]
The Hits Keep Coming: Young Republicans Head Resigns In Gay Sex Scandal [joe.my.god]

You may have missed…
A Visit to the College Republican National Convention [tr]
Rep. Bob Allen Cites Fear of Black Men, Weather in Oral Sex Arrest [tr]

Comments

1. Brian says

There seems to be no end to the hypocrisy. I know Dems are plenty hypocritical, but when it comes to issues that play to the lowest common denominator of bigotry (gays, immigrants, unwed mothers), no one does it quite as well or quite as often as the Republicans.

There will be many more, to be sure. Most Americans are growing sick and freaking tired of the pseudo-religious babble from our conservative elected leaders. I hope this results in a return to what the Republican party used to stand for. I might have disagreed, but I could still respect them.

2. Larry says

Brian,

I agree with you completely. But I worry whether the public at large, the voting public, really knows about this stuff. I still think if they hear about it at all, many voters roll their eyes and still vote for the hypocrites anyway.

What still gets me, is how you can seriously be so self-loathing that you can espouse policies that try to discriminate or even criminalize behaviors that you yourself practice. I may have been in denial of being gay when I was younger, but I never called anyone derogatory names. And I certainly wouldn’t have held up a sign saying “Die fags,” or whatever that other Republican hypocrite wunderkind did.

3. Jonathon says

OK… first, the shadenfraude: How delicious is it to see someone in a leadership position in a Republican organization be exposed as a hypocrite and a criminal?

Now… the real issue: Murphy is a very sad man who must suffer greatly because of the conflict between his sexual orientation and his political party. He seems to be a deeply repressed homosexual, and I doubt very much that the 1998 incident and the 2007 incident are the only examples of Murphy performing non-consensual oral sex on another man. The 1998 and 2007 guys were just the ones who were willing to file a police report; just think how many others there might be who didn’t.

Too bad for Murphy that he could never find the courage to come out of the closet. He could be performing all the fellatio he wanted, on consensual partners nonetheless, if he just had the balls to admit that he’s gay. Too bad that he chose to align himself with a political party who is fundamentally opposed to rights for homosexuals.

Now, he’s made his bed and he can deal with the consequences. Sad.

4. zabadak says

Well, Murphy might not have had sexual relations w that twink, in a Clintonian fashion. However, if this isn’t a variation on Rohypnol date rape, what is?

5. 24play says

Zabadak,

This isn’t “a variation on Rohypnol date rape.” The vast majority of date rapes involve alcohol.

You won’t read it in the papers or see it on the 6 o’clock news, but alcohol is THE date rape drug. Any of those other substances the media periodically freaks out over and declares to be “the date rape drug” (rohypnol, GHB, ketamine) accounts for a miniscule percentage of date rape incidents.

But, of course, alcohol is a legal drug used by 171 million American adults, so it’s just not as sensational as the rare incident involving a “club drug.” Date rapes involving alcohol are a daily occurrence, so there’s no news there.

6. Acolyte says

Andy–great story, and I love this site. But when you post pictures of the subjects of stories could you PLEASE indicate who’s who? I usually assume that the person in question is famous enough that I should know what they look like—but I doubt that applies in this case. Is Mr. Murphy the one uh, holding the mic, or the other guy?

7. 24play says

Zabadak,

8. Acolyte says

Mea Culpa: Ok, just realized that this was a dumb question/comment in this particular instance: The guy with the mic is obviously a reporter. Still applies to other postings, I think…

9. Zeke says

Mike, we know that you much prefer the typical “this is a plot by homa-sek-shuls pushing their radical homa-sek-shul agenda to make the family values, moral majority, compassionate conservatives look bad” comment that you find at your favorite fair and balanced Freeper site.

Yes Mike we get it…blame the faggots first.

Might I suggest Exodus International or a Love Won Out convention. It’s kinda like a Young Republicans convention except, well, actually it’s EXACTLY like a young Republicans convention.

10. Leland says

Dumb brother! He could have at least waited until he came before he complained. We luv the fact that this story involves classic “bed sharing” which, of course, throughout history, has been the vehicle for probably more mo sex than the baths. Walt Whitman made a second career, and countless young men, out of that common 19th century practice. Amatory letters that could be explained by then accepted “romantic friendship” aside, Lincoln’s repeated bed sharing with at least two men, particularly after it no longer became necessary in practical terms, is why some historians still insists he was gay/bi.

But back to this Republican hypocrite—another one down, millions more to go!

11. Mike says

Zeke, adjust your meds and re-read what I wrote. 1) it was a joke 2) I didn’t blame the gays at all. I said it was a right wing plot to make us look bad. There have been too many gay Republican scandals as of late 3) Relax, Mary.

12. the queen says

Ha! Tell me I’m not psychic! Last year I told some friends that the Republicans would be caught doing what we all do and my prediction came true! It’s been one sex scandal after another. What’s with the Republicans and blow jobs anyway? Some kind of Clinton karma?

13. anon (gmail.com) says

The story’s fun but the guy’s a pipsqueak–hardly a Mark Foley or Ted Haggard. Now, the real question is, did he “plan” to get himself and the other guy drunk so the assault could take place? He needed some bravery and a helpless victim apparently.

14. Bill says

Mr. Murphy regrets he can no longer be the “head” Repug in his county, because he found another job. He’s going to be Ted Haggard’s down low blow buddy. Although, he may not be too good at polishing the knob, since the 22-year old pushed him away. And that must have been an awkward moment in the parlor when sis asked Mr. Murphy if he really had sucked her bro’s dick. Yet another Republican practicing the good judgment that has placed our country in its present miserable position in the world.

15. Greg2 says

I will make the assumption that this is the victims response because the way it is written is seems as if its Murphys’ response.Making it seem like the victim was the offender.Just a thought I may be wrong.

16. Leland says

Victim Schmicktim! This is the “Reichen’s Free Blow Job Equals Violent Rape School of Nonthought.” Puhleeze! Neither are “stories torn from the headlines” you’ll ever see on “Law & Order; SVU.” And whatever one can say of Mark Foley he was no Ted Haggard. Jessica H. Christ, the willful stupidity of some people!

And your dismissing of the importance of a Republican activist in a small Red State like Indiana being publicly humiliated over the very issue that his party has exploited with such success shows how ignorant you are. And within miles of where a rabid homohating Hoosier mother is legally keeping her incapacitated son away from continuing to live with his male partner of 15 years, has stolen the house they shared, and two-thirds of their joint bank account. With apologies to the poet, “Every Republican’s political death enriches me.”

17. Zeke says

Sorry Mike, I read your comment a few times to make sure that I understood what you were saying before I replied. To be honest I still can’t figure out a way to read it that doesn’t sound like the “blame the faggots for all the poor Republicans’ woes” comments that we regularly get from our dear friends MIKE and Tom from GayPatriot. I guess I assumed that you were THAT Mike. I should know better than to make assumptions.

Again, I apologize.

Thanks Peter Parker for having my back.

Damn I hate it when I waste one of my infrequent snippy rants on a misfire! And it was such a good one too. Hopefully THAT Mike will show up and it won’t be wasted.

18. Zeke says

One more observation. A month or so ago when the Young Democrats elected an OUT gay president and an OUT gay executive vice-president the right wing blogsphere was all a twitter with shits and giggles.

Who’s giggling and who’s shitting now?

I’m a’gigglin’!!