I'm Not Gay | Idaho | Larry Craig | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

GOP Senator Larry Craig: I am Not Gay and Never Have Been

Larrycraigmugshot

Idaho GOP Senator Larry Craig, whose arrest by a plainclothes police officer investigating lewd conduct complaints in a public men's restroom in Minneapolis was brought to light yesterday, made the following statement to reporters this afternoon:

"First, please let me apologize to my family, friends, staff, and fellow Idahoans for the cloud placed over Idaho. I did nothing wrong at the Minneapolis airport. I regret my decision to plead guilty and the sadness that decision has brought to my wife, family, friends, staff, and fellow Idahoans. For that I apologize.

"In June, I overreacted and made a poor decision. While I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct at the Minneapolis airport or anywhere else, I chose to plead guilty to a lesser charge in the hope of making it go away. I did not seek any counsel, either from an attorney, staff, friends, or family. That was a mistake, and I deeply regret it. Because of that, I have now retained counsel and I am asking my counsel to review this matter and to advise me on how to proceed.

"For a moment, I want to put my state of mind into context on June 11. For 8 months leading up to June, my family and I had been relentlessly and viciously harassed by the Idaho Statesman. If you’ve seen today’s paper, you know why. Let me be clear: I am not gay and never have been.

"Still, without a shred of truth or evidence to the contrary, the Statesman has engaged in this witch hunt. In pleading guilty, I overreacted in Minneapolis, because of the stress of the Idaho Statesman’s investigation and the rumors it has fueled around Idaho. Again, that overreaction was a mistake, and I apologize for my misjudgment. Furthermore, I should not have kept this arrest to myself, and should have told my family and friends about it. I wasn’t eager to share this failure, but I should have done so anyway.

"I love my wife, family, friends, staff, and Idaho. I love serving Idaho in Congress. Over the years, I have accomplished a lot for Idaho, and I hope Idahoans will allow me to continue to do that. There are still goals I would like to accomplish, and I believe I can still be an effective leader for Idaho. Next month, I will announce, as planned, whether or not I will seek reelection.

"As an elected official, I fully realize that my life is open for public criticism and scrutiny, and I take full responsibility for the mistake in judgment I made in attempting to handle this matter myself.

"It is clear, though, that through my actions I have brought a cloud over Idaho. For that, I ask the people of Idaho for their forgiveness.

"As I mentioned earlier, I have now retained counsel to examine this matter and I will make no further comment."

Senate Republican leaders this afternoon called for an ethics probe of the Idaho lawmaker. Mitt Romney, for whom Craig had served as senate campaign co-chair, called Craig's actions "disgusting".

Background
Idaho Senator Larry Craig's Arrest Report, Plus Statesman Probe [tr]
Larry Craig Releases Statement, Steps Down from Romney Campaign [tr]
GOP Idaho Senator Larry Craig in Lewd Conduct Men's Room Arrest [tr]
Blogger: Idaho Senator Larry Craig Had Gay Encounters [tr]

Comments

1. He is NOT gay, he just likes the taste of cock!

Posted by: Kendall | Aug 28, 2007 4:54:16 PM

2. What a phobe-closet case. Vile.

Posted by: Athenaeum | Aug 28, 2007 4:57:08 PM

3. He's not gay but he prefers the men he cruises to be.

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 28, 2007 4:57:42 PM

4. There have got to people who have met this man/GOP-Senator in their airport travels and are able to corroborate his penchant for public-anonymous-sex by providing a date, time and documented layover in X-city that also corresponds to the suspect's travel itinerary. It's just a matter of time for the truth to surface.

rob@egoz.org

Posted by: rob adams | Aug 28, 2007 4:59:07 PM

5. Oh, the lies we weave.

I'm just sure he wanted to plead guilty to attempting to score a hot cop in the bathroom of a restaurant... because that would never get out, right?

The police report makes it pretty damn clear he knew exactly what he was doing. It obviously wasn't his first time, that's for sure.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 28, 2007 4:59:11 PM

6. Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
    Losing my timing this late in my career
    And where are the clowns
    Quick send in the clowns
    Don't bother, they're here.

Posted by: Jon-Marc | Aug 28, 2007 5:02:22 PM

7. Larry honey, you's ril gay.

Posted by: LD | Aug 28, 2007 5:02:48 PM

8. the poor thing.

kinda makes me sick to watch these guys squirm.

but then, if that's what it takes for the world to understand what happens when innocent people give in to the conservative agenda, then so be it.

Posted by: rich | Aug 28, 2007 5:02:57 PM

9. he's absolutely correct... he is NOT gay.
    he's a shameful dirty coward, and definitely not man enough to be gay.
    we don't need limp pricks like him... let him remain straight, and tortured.
    i pity his wife.

Posted by: A.J | Aug 28, 2007 5:07:27 PM

10. It's all the Press' fault!

Posted by: sam | Aug 28, 2007 5:08:19 PM

11. "It's the liberal media's fault I suck dick!"

Brilliant strategy there, you big homo.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 28, 2007 5:10:26 PM

12. I personally have never cruised and tapped for sex in a bathroom. However, a guy like Larry Craig gives all those who have and who do a bad name. For that reason, I think he should be forced to RESIGN to his ranch and watch LOGO's Noah's Arc reruns and learn how to behave in a more socially and sexually acceptable way. Maybe Larry could invite Mark Foley out there and start a happy dude ranch with lots of bathrooms too!

Posted by: Krishnan | Aug 28, 2007 5:11:36 PM

13. Yawn...these stories have sort of peaked. Not that they shouldn't be brought to light, but his denial of any wrong doing, blah, blah, blah, I could sort of do without. Now the blockhead from Florida, the one that has five different explanations for his teaparty exploits (all of them hysterical), THAT is entertainment!

Posted by: JR | Aug 28, 2007 5:11:40 PM

14. The lady doth protest too much! The damage is done, he can kiss his political career au revoir! Tough titty.

Posted by: Allen | Aug 28, 2007 5:11:50 PM

15. I pity Larry's adopted sons. Jeesh! To have to read about your step-father getting arrested in a bathroom seems depressing.

Posted by: veejay | Aug 28, 2007 5:14:04 PM

16. Let's say for a moment that he didn't do it. Then, do we really want a SENATOR helping to run the country who has such poor judgment that he'd plead guilty to something that he didn't do? It's starting to become clear how we've gotten ourselves into the situation we have in Iraq. Bunch of rubes running the joint.

OK, moment over. What a mo.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 28, 2007 5:14:41 PM

17. And Romney, let me get this straight.

Cruising for sex in public = disgusting.

Comparing your sons campaign work to soldiers serving in Iraq - cool

Driving for hours with your shitting dog is trapped on the roof of your car = a-ok.

God, please save us from Republicans.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 28, 2007 5:15:08 PM

18. Oh Mary!, you might not want to be gay, I sure the hell wish you weren't, but your persistent habit of putting other men's penises in your mouth kind of makes it a moot point.

Posted by: Kitty Tibet | Aug 28, 2007 5:19:05 PM

19. Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive, ourselves that is. Hey Larry, straight guys don't suck cock, but self loathing, closeted Homo's like you do (mostly in really disgusting places like bathroom stalls). Come out of the closet Larry and they might just let you have sex in a bed. ROTFLMAO!

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Aug 28, 2007 5:19:25 PM

20. I think Senator Craig's campaign song should have been "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."

Posted by: homer | Aug 28, 2007 5:19:28 PM

21. I think Senator Craig's campaign song should have been "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."

Posted by: homer | Aug 28, 2007 5:19:40 PM

22. I think Senator Craig's campaign song should have been "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."

Posted by: homer | Aug 28, 2007 5:19:44 PM

23. I think Senator Craig's campaign song should have been "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."

Posted by: homer | Aug 28, 2007 5:20:02 PM

24. I think Senator Craig's campaign song should have been "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."

Posted by: homer | Aug 28, 2007 5:20:12 PM

25. Am I understanding correctly that he didn't even tell his wife he had been arrested and subsequently plead guilty?

Ed Shrock, McGreevy, this guy, et cetera. How do these women put up with this? My partner's mom caught her ex-husband cheating with men, and she tarred and feathered his @$$.

Posted by: RP | Aug 28, 2007 5:21:48 PM