9/11 | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

9/11

Wtc

There are plenty of ways to describe Here is New York: powerful, sorrowful, human. It's the online presence of this show, which the paper says will "jumpstart your memories".

This certainly did. I spent a good hour with it last night, and recommend you take a look. It brought me right back to that shocking, unbelievable morning.

And here's what is happening in NYC on this gray, rainy Tuesday.

Comments

1. There's no such thing as an ordinary Tuesday anymore.

Posted by: MT | Sep 11, 2007 8:59:17 AM

2. Oh for crying out loud. Today, this Tuesday, is an ordinary Tuesday. Move on people. Humans die in more miserable ways in less developed countries (genocide in Africa, anyone?). The notion that Sept.11 needs to remain an orgasmic annual grief-fest must fade if we, as a culture, are to pick ourselves up, brush the dust off, learn from what happened, and move on.

As it is, it would appear that nobody has learned anything since the shitty actions of the handful of extremists who rattled us all so badly six years ago. Our culture has not become more introspective, thoughtful or enlightened since then; it has, it seems, actually become even more shallow and nationalistic. Politicians use the memory of our collective feelings of terror on that day to justify greater and greater acts of cruelty against others - not to spread democracy but to secure resources. It's discouraging.

Nobody will deny how terrible that morning six years ago was. I still think about it often, myself, and gasp when seeing photos or movies that present the pre-Sept.11/01 Manhattan skyline. So many families were affected by what happened six years ago and I wish them nothing but peace and comfort but please, to the rest of us? - let it go.

...apologies for the rant but I've just had it. Let the flaming outrage against me begin.

Posted by: seeldee | Sep 11, 2007 11:27:21 AM

3. What the hell is that shit? For Crying out loud? Be glad Seeldee you were not the one running for your fucking life on that day. Shame on you !!!! Why don't you fly a fucking kite in a thunderstorm and then I'll get over it and let it go.

Posted by: Vince | Sep 11, 2007 11:56:54 AM

4. @Vince,

It is clear from your reactionary response to my comment that you do not understand my sentiment. Did you really think about what I was saying before submitting your comment? Are people no longer permitted to hold, and be vocal about, an unpopular opinion? I am not alone in feeling this way about the annual 9/11 circus and I will not be shamed by you into changing my point of view.

...And shame on you for wishing harm on another person.

Posted by: Seeldee | Sep 11, 2007 1:29:02 PM

5. SEELDEE...I *completely* agree with your sentiments.

For six years now, Americans have been holding Septmber 11 up to some sort of exalted status of suffering. And yet, people the world over have suffered for thousands of years at the hands of terrorists of every stripe (Holocause, anyone?...Rwandan genocide, anyone?...IRA bombings of London, anyone?...Kurds attacked with mustard gas, sarin and VM, anyone? Car bombs in the Middle East, anyone?). On September 11 America experienced what countries over the rest of the world have experienced for decades. And the political 'leaders' have used the events of that day to secure ever more power over the American people.

It was a horrible, evil turn of events. But it's time we let it go.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 11, 2007 2:17:17 PM

6. "On September 11 America experienced what countries over the rest of the world have experienced for decades." And this makes it alright or better, Peterparker? Faulty logic.

Thanks for posting a link to the NYTimes article. I, too, find it disconcerning that 9/11 is seen as some vague "tragedy" instead of what it truly was: an attack. Floods and earthquakes and other happenstance are tragedies. Planned terrorist actions are attacks. Period.

Posted by: 207guy | Sep 11, 2007 4:33:07 PM

7. Dear 207GUY,

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said nor implied that terrorist acts in other countries that were unrelated to September 11 somehow made the events of September 11 'alright or better'. Nor would I ever dream of saying such a thing because nothing could excuse or justify the actions of those idiots who flew planes into buildings on that day.

What I did say was that Americans talk about September 11 as if we have suffered the worst terrorist event in the history of the known universe. And there is a quality of the discussion that seems to imply that we are the only nation and the only people to have ever suffered losses because of terrorists. We are not. Many other nations have suffered greater loss of life in sheer numbers due to terrorism than we experienced on September 11. And many other nations have endured terrorism on their own soil for protracted periods of time whereas we in the United States have experienced it for only a relatively short period of time.

I'm not excusing any act(s) of violence nor am I minimizing the losses from that day. I'm simply putting it in a global perspective that most Americans fail to consider.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 11, 2007 5:36:42 PM

8. I live in Manhattan and witnessed with my own eyes the disaster of 9/11/2001.

As things unfolded, I was terrified that more planes might crash into various famous skyscrapers near my home on W. 26th St.

Yes, of course what I experienced that Tuesday morning pales in comparison to the atrocities many other people not only suffer today but have suffered through history.

I only watched people fall to their deaths, was afraid for my own life, and lost only about 11 people I knew.

I'm embarrassed that yet another September 11th causes me to break down in tears.

But I refuse to apologize for the heartbreaking terror I experienced that day, even if it was slight compared with people who suffered far worse not only that day but in countless events in recorded history.

We talk about September 11th because we experienced it firsthand. We do not claim that it was the worst event in human history.

I fail to comprehend why anyone would dismiss us because of what we suffered, simply because others have suffered far worse.

Posted by: alan | Sep 11, 2007 8:03:48 PM

9. I, personally, don't want to spend the next 50 9/11s of my life sifting and re-sifting through a perpetually emotionally constricting moment. But I don't want to just "get over it." However, I agree with Seldee on one point and it is that I think the best and moist poignant way to remember 9/11 for all it means (and it means alot more than what it looks like on the surface to alot of people) is to learn from it and...I mean this is perhaps the biggest most hardest aspect of this tragedy to swallow...the fact that we're seemingly no better--if not worse off as a society allegedly positioned at the top of the global, social and technoligical scale. The real tragedy to the 3,000 people lost is having lost them only to take 3,000 steps back, to regress into a society that, while having more means than any other generation ever to ignite change in many forms, just doesn't pay attention.

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 11, 2007 8:06:19 PM

10. Derrick-

You are conflating the evil of the 9/11 attacks with everything that has gone wrong with the response of the USA to the attacks.

Please separate whatever grievances you've got with the Iraq war versus the 9/11 attacks.

I assume from your rhetoric that you believe, as I do, that the 9/11 attacks were a dumb pretext for the war in Iraq.

But that is little comfort for us who lived through a terrifying/gorgeous Manhattan day and have to put up with people who tell us our sufferring means nothing because the US has made so many mistakes in the name of 9/11.

Please stop saying you don't want to spend the next 50 9/11's in emotional distress if you don't want to.

I hope you live that long and I don't care how you spend subsequent 9/11's. I hope you enjoy them.

I'm not so lucky. But don't denigrate my grief and the pain I will probably feel on this anniversary for the rest of my life.

This is not my choice. This is the reality of having seen a plane crash into a building, people leaping to their deaths, worrying about my life as I stood amongst Manhattan skyscrapers, tried to reach loved ones on clogged phones, learned that cherished colleagues had likely died, and comforted people covered in toxic dust.

I am tired of being dismissed as a drama queen because the events of 9/11/2001 led to a dreadful war in Iraq.

Please be respectful of this. I don't demand that you do anything. But when I cry on September 11th, please don't roll your eyes.

Posted by: Alan | Sep 12, 2007 12:47:23 AM