Brad Pitt | Details | Film | Magazines | News | Playing Gay | Steven Klein | Venice

Brad Pitt to Venice Reporters: "I Do Love a Gay Story"

Details

Brad Pitt has been making the rounds at the Venice Film Festival, where he is promoting his new film, with the long title The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

After being attacked by a woman who attempted to throw her arms around the actor, and booed by the paparazzi for refusing to remove his sunglasses, Pitt was not thrown at all when a reporter asked him if the new film was simply a thinly-veiled gay drama about the relationship between two men.

Said Pitt: "If that’s what works for you, it’s absolutely fine. You can interpret it as you will, but it’s actually much more complex. I do love a gay story though. This is a very complex and complicated film that isn't part of the current zeitgeist of film-making. It's more a throwback to some of the great films of the 1970s."

Pitt's assurance and comfort with gay issues has surfaced before. In the September 2006 issue of Esquire, he expressed support for same-sex marriage, saying "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

Pitt appears in the October issue of Details magazine in an extensive photoshoot by Steven Klein (which can be seen at Just Jared). Film Experience Blog has their review of the movie straight from Venice.

More Brad Pitt
In Case You Hadn't Seen Enough Brad Pitt [tr]
Brad "Don't Forget I'm a Sex Symbol" Pitt in Interview [tr]
Brad Pitt: Wearer of Many Hats [tr]
Brad Pitt's Blue Wet Dream [tr]
Brad Pitt and His Hungry Bottom [tr]

Check out the movie poster for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which also features Casey Affleck, after the jump.

Jessejames

Comments

1. Am I the only person who finds Brad Pitt uninteresting and unattractive? Next, please.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 4, 2007 9:27:39 AM

2. hmmmm, I see his hairline is beginning to recede....bummer...
    No, Luke, you ain't. I've really never gotten the whole Brad Pitt furor... He just seems like a skinny, average joe who was popular in High School... However, given his visibility and popularity; I do fully appreciate his articulate support of gay marriage, and his hands-on involvement in charity work; especially for New Orleans...

Posted by: kile Ozier | Sep 4, 2007 9:39:14 AM

3. Anyone else notice the weird juxtaposition of sub-heads here? "Not Satisying Your Wife?" "Big Gay Secrets," and "The Ultimate Hollywood Fashion Faux Pas"...?

Posted by: hill_w | Sep 4, 2007 9:44:45 AM

4. ... and MSNBC is reporting that he's telling reporters in Venice that he and Angelina are ready to adopt their 5th child! Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 4, 2007 10:23:02 AM

5. He is so boring.

So boring.

Ack, I just fell asleep thinking about him.

Posted by: David | Sep 4, 2007 10:29:37 AM

6. Brad's a Babe and always has been.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 4, 2007 10:39:40 AM

7. I love them as much as the next media-obsessed 'mo, but something about those two doesn't feel right. Lest we forget Mr. Pitt and his baby's mama Angelina are both homewreckers. I feel that, however, they've done a great job helping us all forget that teensy detail with their 3rd world baby scooping, espousing of gay rights and U.N. posturing. I'm not doubting the sincerity of the two, but perhaps thats what "doesn't feel right" with me. That being said, I love me some Brangelina.

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 4, 2007 11:16:31 AM

8. If you have nothing nice to say why not think twice and say nothing. Internet seems to be a breeding ground for frustrated people to let off steam about people they don't know. I'm sure you wouldn't like to be judged, as you're judging Brad, purely based on his looks, or whether you are 'boring' to people who don't even know you. He's not a performing monkey. Geez, I wonder why people think the stereotypical gay man is a bitch. Rise above fellas, rise above.

Posted by: Pippin Wainwright | Sep 4, 2007 11:21:33 AM

9. I do love anything having to do with Brad Pitt.

And KILE OZIER, if you think that is a receding hairline, then you need to have your eyes checked.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 4, 2007 11:26:33 AM

10. He knows he has a gay following and knows how to play to that crowd. Women find this "soft" side of his personality appealing too. He knows what he is doing.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 4, 2007 11:33:30 AM

11. He was probably high on weed and they did not want brads an addict story

Posted by: sasha | Sep 4, 2007 12:11:09 PM

12. Brad is hot. Angelina is hotter. They make the perfect couple.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 4, 2007 12:12:47 PM

13. Wait, so let me make sure I understand this--you guys scathingly attack and insult those who are actually supportive of your community? Wow. OK.

Posted by: a.m. | Sep 4, 2007 12:35:34 PM

14. What amazes me is the continued airbrush attack that all magazine covers feel the need to do to even their already great looking subjects!

Wow, it is verging on a Picasso portrait of the future.

Posted by: Br!on | Sep 4, 2007 1:02:15 PM

15. Is this an old file photo or just extreme photoshopping? And to poster downthread who mentioned the sub-heads, I noticed...and at first glance thought Brad finally ready to come out of the closet. LOL Not a fan of the BRAND.gelina

Posted by: bellebeesting | Sep 4, 2007 1:15:59 PM

16. Speaking of sub-headlines, I think it's entirely possible that Brad is Hollywood's biggest faux pas.

Posted by: carolina a.m. | Sep 4, 2007 1:18:11 PM

17. It's funny, in some photographs he looks downright raunchy; in others, he's as beautiful as he was back in "Thelma & Louise" and "Interview with a Vampire". He was one sexy movie star...and I don't usually go for the "take a shower if I feel like it" type."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 4, 2007 1:56:09 PM

18. Wow the sour grapes are being turned to bitter wine in this thread.

Posted by: ggreen | Sep 4, 2007 2:10:31 PM

19. He is perfect!!

Posted by: delilah | Sep 4, 2007 3:14:52 PM

20. I think Brad Pitt is one of the best actors in Hollywood. He has always raised the class of any film he has been in. Remember how his 30 mins in the middle of Thelma and Louise was one of the most memorable things in the film? That's not an accident.
    The cool thing about Brangelina is that I truly believe that have put their mouths where their money is. Is any other Hollywood bigwig building houses in India? With his OWN hands? Out of the bigness of his heart?
    When he speaks, he's one of the few celebrities who DOESN'T make my bullshit meter go off.
    Listen, the gay celebrities aren't sticking up for their own, if Brad and Angie want to do it, all the power to them.
    He has integrity.
    And of course there is the fact that he's absolutely drop-dead, stunningly gorgeous.
    Inside AND out.

Posted by: James | Sep 4, 2007 4:52:34 PM

21. I'm one of those who just can't understand how some prissy faggots can just rip apart those who actually, for real stand with us in our quest for our rights. As someone above said.....one hell of a lot of *gay* stars won't speak up for us, but here's a guy who isn't one of us(contrary to the usual rumors, he isn't) but will take a stand with us.

Some of you jaded bitches need to soak your heads for an hour or so.

Pitts a pretty good actor, I think he's good looking, but he has never turned me on sexually, and he is a really nice person in person(have been lucky enough to meet him a few times in London)....he certainly beats some of the dull, predictible witches who post here.

Posted by: Joshua | Sep 4, 2007 6:13:17 PM

22. Good grief! Pitt is starring in a movie about Jesse James, a racist Confederate terrorist, who murdered innocent people during and after the Civil War. Why the hell does Hollywood continue to glorify a scumbag like Jesse James, who should, instead, be vilified as one of the worst human beings to walk the planet?!

Posted by: noah | Sep 4, 2007 6:15:02 PM

23. Of course James was a racist. But he never owned slaves, he just happened to be from a slave holding state and fought for his home.
    We tend to look at historical figures through the lens of our own times, which gives us a pretty distorted picture of history.
    I think the appeal of James has a lot to do with the manner of his death, and the fact that he was a pretty successful bank/train robber(Americans have a love of crooks ie: Bonnie and Clyde)and he was a bit Robin Hoodish(another crook)in that he gave a lot of his share of the loot to familes in his home county that were being foreclosed on by the carpetbaggers who took over the south after the war.
    Hopefully Noah, your a smart enough person to understand that a lot of people fought for the South who actually didn't like slavery, but fought for the princible of states rights(especially to seceed). Most people in the south never owned a single slave, yet fought for what they saw as an attempt to force them to give up their rights.

Slavery was wrong, it didn't matter if it was of blacks, whites, Muslims or Christians, or asians.....it was just wrong......but it took man a long time to figure that out and in some places today, it still exisits.

Posted by: Joshua | Sep 4, 2007 6:30:28 PM

24. I gave up on being cool or popular a long time ago. In high school I think.

I think Brad's hot, sweet and funny.
    I'd do him in a minute, and I don't care how many jealous queens say they wouldn't. Because I know they'd all be on their backs, heels in the air, if they ever got a chance.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Sep 8, 2007 7:00:19 PM

25. I wouldn't - do Brad Pitt, that is. I can see how many would think he's handsome, but I've just never personally found him attractive.

Posted by: Theodore | Sep 10, 2007 2:29:30 AM