Jesus Christ | Kathy Griffin | News | Reality TV | Religion | Tennessee | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Christian Theater Group Spends $90K to Condemn Kathy Griffin

The Miracle Theater in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee has paid $90,440 for a full-page ad in USA Today that ran on Monday condemning the "Suck it, Jesus" remarks made by Kathy Griffin upon accepting her Emmy for Best Reality Show, according to the AP.

GriffinThe ad reads: "We at The Miracle Theater consider it an honor to stand for Jesus today. We may never win a national award. We may never be household names. We may never be seen in Hollywood. Although others may choose to use their national platform to slander our God, we are honored as professional entertainers to stand for Christ."

Of course the Miracle Theater is welcome to waste their money in whatever way they choose, but imagine how much prouder Jesus would have been had they spent that $90,440 to feed the homeless or help needy children. Instead they spent in on a self-aggrandizing ad condemning free speech.

Check out the ad, after the jump...

Recently
FOX News: Jesus Died on Cross So Kathy Griffin Could Win Emmy [tr]
Kathy Griffin Wins Emmy, Gets Censored for Jesus Remark [tr]

Ad

Comments

1. Nikko :-) Your going to love this next post

kathy, for SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!on you not knowing what, when, and where your myth says certain things. SHAME!!!!!

Mathew 5 The sermon on the mount (not talking about divorce) Mathew 5 verse 17-20

17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

verse 13-16 are about salt and light NOT DIVORCE

verse 21-25 deal with murder and having offense with your neighbor, nothing about divorce

SHAME on you kathy!!!!!!!!!!!

mathew 5 berse 13-20 jesus myth upholds the law of moses 100% the Law of moses which condemns homosexuals (men not women because well, myth moses was a sexist and misogyunist)

Upholding the law 100% upholds our destruction. It also upholds slavery, the subjegation of women, etc.

peace be with you

free yourself from your myth

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 21, 2007 9:59:20 AM

2. Take it, bible thumpers. We've had you're president, you're legislation, you're religious war, and you're ignorant rants against women, gays, and whatever else is displeasing to you (oh, I'm sorry, you're GOD) for eight years. So spend some money, and lose some money, and shut the hell up. And pray, come election day, the fire and brimstone makes a personal bbq of all you're favorite candidates, including the Lazy One, Fred Thompson.

Have a nice day!

Posted by: Will | Sep 21, 2007 10:22:04 AM

3. I would think people like poster Kathy (not the good Kathy G) would be more offended by sports figures and musicians who Kathy G was actually poking fun of. It's disgusting to see a man cross himself before making a free throw or to hear some rapper or country artist thank Jesus for giving them an award. I should think Jesus has far more important things to do than help people to get awards or make baskets.

And if He doesn't think he has anything better to do, then a "SUCK IT" is fully justified.

Hail Kathy G, full of grace!

Posted by: Rey | Sep 21, 2007 10:30:49 AM

4. Seriously? You're picking on someone who just told you she believes in a God that loves everyone. Regardless of whether or not ALL Christians believe that, Kathy certainly does.

So really? Do you feel that persecuted by Christianity that it comes to that? Interesting... So the Christian players group, or whoever the hell they are, are stupid/can't take a joke/ridiculous for taking out an ad criticizing Kathy Griffin, but we are apparently too uptight/angered/offended by passages from the Bible that we can't be happy about a woman that interprets scripture to find an all loving God?

I believe in a ninja God that wears black pajama pants and leaps from roof to roof killing pigeons with garden sheers. He is not all loving. He probably hates you. Also, he resembles Alex Trebec.

Posted by: David | Sep 21, 2007 10:31:21 AM

5. david.

I am all for someone believing in an all loving god.

But the biblical god isn't all loving.

YHWH the god of myth abraham and myth moses hates everyone not hebrew. And even then hates on the hebrews quite a lot in the stories. If his supposed treatment of the hebrews is love then the hebrews are suffering battered wife syndrome.

The jesus myth in the bible is not all loving. "I came to divide mother from sun and man from brother for my sake...." etc. 100% support for law of moses = hates gays, women, and supports slavery etc. Oh and hates shrimp.

Bad evil shrimp. :-)
    Anyway; the point is if you believe in an all loving deity then do not connect such a deity to the biblical myths. Those 2 deities in the bible are far from loving.

peace be with you
    have a nice day.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 21, 2007 11:09:40 AM

6. JIMMYBOYO, I understand the point you're trying to make and I certainly respect your opinion but I think you're bordering on being disrespectful to Kathy, not because she is being disrespectful or unkind to you or others, but because of her faith alone. A faith, by the way, that I share.

You are picking and choosing scriptures, and frankly misrepresenting context, to make a point. I don't like it when fundies use this tactic to condemn gay people and I don't like it when you do it to shame or pigeonhole the relatively few kind, compassionate and respectful Christians left in the world by claiming that we all take the Bible literally or that we all are of one mind.

I hope you respect me enough, in spite of my faith, to at least think about my challenge to you.

People like Kathy and myself have enough of a fight on our hands challenging the fundies who have hijacked our faith to justify their bigotries, allay their fears or promote their right-wing political agenda. Then, from the other end of the spectrum, we have to endure constant attacks from people who, in ignorance, paint all Christians with the same brush or presume to explain to people of faith what they THINK we ALL believe.

Would you accuse all Jewish people of being accessories to the occupation of Palestine and the human rights crimes being perpetrated there? Do you accuse all Germans of being Nazis and holding them all responsible for the atrocities of the Third Reich?

It is just as unacceptable to attack every Christian for the hateful words and misdeeds of the ranting and raving fundy MINORITY.

I welcome your challenges of my PERSONAL beliefs (I question and challenge them daily) but it would be inappropriate to hold every other Christians responsible for my actions or beliefs and it would be wrong to assume that every other Christian shared my beliefs. By the same token I don’t want to be held responsible for others actions or beliefs and I don’t want anyone asking me to justify, explain or defend the actions or beliefs of others.

Believe it or not, there are some Christians who don't even know, or care, if Jesus really existed. I'm one of them. Many, if not most people who call themselves Christians, would argue that I couldn't possibly be a Christian without believing that Jesus was born, was crucified, rose on the third day and ascended into heaven. I inform them that they don't own the faith and they don't have the authority to tell me what I have to believe.

I respectfully tell you the same thing.

My best friend in the world (after my husband) is an atheist and we have never had to have this discussion. He respects and loves me just the way I am and respects the positive influence my faith has had on my life. I respect and love him just the way he is and feel no need whatsoever to change his beliefs. Why would I? He is more happy, more loving, more compassionate, more ethical and more moral that ANY Christian I know.

JB, I love you to death JUST as you are. You know that. More importantly, I respect you JUST as you are.

I suggest that you direct your energy, passion and wrath into challenging people who are using their faith as a tool to harm others and not into arguing with people, like Kathy, who have shown no sign of being anything other than a kind, loving and compassionate person, who happens to be a Christian.

End sermon. There will be refreshments served in the fellowship hall directly following the benediction. Amen. :)

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 21, 2007 11:13:08 AM

7. I think Jesus would be appalled they spent that kind of money on an ad, when that money could have fed a lot of homeless people.

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 21, 2007 11:16:22 AM

8. Suck it, Miracle Theatre!

Posted by: Allen | Sep 21, 2007 11:19:11 AM

9. zeke

I respect you.

peace be with you

:-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 21, 2007 11:35:17 AM

10. PATRICK, I don't think there's any doubt about it.

If he really existed, and if the stories told about him are true, I think he would have taken a lash and run the whole lot of them out of the theatre.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 21, 2007 11:36:20 AM

11. Love ya bubba!

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 21, 2007 11:40:53 AM

12. Kathy had the right to say what she said, the theatre group has the right to take out a $90,000 ad condeming her, we have the right to say they are stupid for doing so.

Posted by: boobs | Sep 21, 2007 2:12:55 PM

13. BOOBS, Exactly!

Free speech as it was meant to be.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 21, 2007 6:21:30 PM

14. Hi Zeke,

I don't have a problem with Kathy's (or your) faith. But her first post presented a few issues:

Kathy: "You guys are so unfair. How do you know they don't spend that much helping the poor too?"

Why does it matter if they also spend a bunch of money helping the less fortunate? While that would indeed be commendable, the fact is that they chose to use this 90K on an absolutely worthless ad that does nobody any tangible good.

Kathy: "And you know that if someone had said something horrific about being gay and then a group paid that much to USA today to state that they were proud to be gay. Then you would be all for it."

This is ridiculous for the reasons I pointed out in my previous post. Kathy G.'s comedic comment is in no way comparable to a celebrity "saying something horrific about being gay." Comparing someone saying "Suck it, Jesus" to someone saying (for instance) "Faggots will burn in hell" is ludicrous. The former comment is directly offensive to one long-dead man - I do believe Kathy could have made her point about hypocritical celebrities thanking Jesus without such extremes, but it's really only offensive to those who CHOOSE to believe that Jesus was more than just another flawed human being.

On the other hand, offensive remarks against gays reinforce a mindset that has been used to justify discrimination against an entire group of people - a people who did not CHOOSE to be in the minority, I might add. I'll also add that these types of remarks are rarely made jokingly.

So basically, the poster Kathy's intentions may be good, but her logic is flawed. Comparing disparaging remarks against an entire group of people to one joking remark about Jesus offends my intelligence. I respect your beliefs, but I believe you missed what people (myself included) found wrong with Kathy's comments.

Posted by: thegreatpumpkin | Sep 22, 2007 1:16:53 AM