Daniel Radcliffe | Film | News | Playing Gay

BigGayDeal.com

Daniel Radcliffe on Playing Gay

Danielradcliffe

At a recent press junket in New York for his film December Boys, actor Daniel Radcliffe was asked if he'd ever consider playing a gay character:

Press: "Daniel, the parts that you’ve played so far, outside of the Harry Potter universe, what kind of sexuality in some aspect your characters are discovering their sensuality. I’m curious if you’ve ever considered playing a gay character from the aspect of being an actor."

Daniel: "I’d never play a gay character just for the sake of playing a gay character. If the script was good, and it was a good gay character then, I’m 18, and so the parts I’m going to be getting will be open for around that age range. And around that age range is when people are exploring sexuality, so those are the parts I think I will be involved in."

Radcliffe will be headed to Broadway to reprise his role in Equus in Spring 2008. Below, a recent appearance on Ellen in which he demonstrates he has a talented tongue.

(via DanielRadcliffe.com)

Comments

1. What's the point of asking such a question? How boring.

Posted by: borut | Sep 26, 2007 9:11:45 AM

2. Yeah, that was a pretty pointless question.

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 26, 2007 10:04:37 AM

3. Once again it's one of those wishful thinking for some. Do people think that if you ask them enough gay stuff one day he will suddenly find that he is? Americans in particular always want to think that every British person is a poof. They are not. And just because many British men are tolerant of gays and lesbians it does not indicate an inner desire to be gay, too. My brother Ed is very supportive of me and is 100% British heterosexual that I am sure many of the readers here would fawn over and wish that he would give them a nobbing. It will not happen, lads.

Posted by: Gary | Sep 26, 2007 10:26:11 AM

4. (Yeah, okay, Gary, but doesn't 100% British Heterosexual convert to about 15% American Homosexual, allowing for inflation?)

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 26, 2007 10:49:17 AM

5. Yes, it's a stupid question, and one that's been asked of nearly every young male actor during the past ten years or so. It's not as much wishful thinking as it is an easy question that makes the interviewer look aggressive and insightful.

Nice generalization, Gary. Thanks.

Posted by: Johnny L | Sep 26, 2007 10:58:00 AM

6. "Daniel, would you consider appearing in a film with a woman, with a Colored, with a Celestial?"

"Stupid question, you twit. Go bugger yourself."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Sep 26, 2007 11:02:05 AM

7. Daniel can play a gay character in my bedroom any day (or night) that he wants to.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 26, 2007 11:28:01 AM

8. Can't wait for the B'way run...getting my tix and camera phone ready...

Posted by: Davey | Sep 26, 2007 11:28:35 AM

9. Well, the question seems dumb when the actors are tolerant, but Marky Mark sure couldn't offer up much support when he was asked. That was telling.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 26, 2007 12:27:25 PM

10. Daniel Radcliffe is so friggn' cute. What a hottie!

Posted by: yum | Sep 26, 2007 12:35:02 PM

11. It was a sad day when "would you play gay" replaced "boxers or briefs" the number one interview/red carpet question for men.

Posted by: my2cents | Sep 26, 2007 2:58:56 PM

12. It just strikes as very desperate and makes me cringe to hear people asked such questions out of the blue.

Posted by: Brandon | Sep 26, 2007 4:31:49 PM

13. Michael W.,

inflation. hehe. good one.

Posted by: nic | Sep 26, 2007 5:09:26 PM

14. You deserve a gold star for that inflation quip, Michael W. Well played!

Posted by: Ronald | Sep 26, 2007 9:43:18 PM

15. Radcliffe is a cutie....he's growing up into a very nice man.

When I met my b/f(who is British), my best friend asked if he was gay, and I said **how the hell can I tell, he's British**

Posted by: Joshua | Sep 27, 2007 3:38:57 AM

16. I like Daniel Radcliffe. He seems absolutely charming.

Posted by: GC | Sep 30, 2007 3:02:53 PM