Larry Craig Reconsidering Decision to Resign

Since Larry Craig’s resignation from the U.S. Senate on Saturday he has apparently hired a lawyer and is reconsidering his decision to step down, according to the Associated Press.

CraigSaid Craig’s spokesman Sidney Smith: “It’s not such a foregone conclusion anymore, that the only thing he could do was resign. We’re still preparing as if Senator Craig will resign Sept. 30, but the outcome of the legal case in Minnesota and the ethics investigation will have an impact on whether we’re able to stay in the fight—and stay in the Senate.”

It was unclear whether the Idaho senator would return to the nation’s capital: “Dan Whiting in Washington, said Tuesday that Craig was expected to spend the week in Idaho as the Senate votes on spending bills for veterans and other programs. Whiting did not rule out Craig’s returning to Washington before the end of the month.”

LarrycraigmugshotCraig’s children, Michael Craig and Shae Howell, said on Tuesday that they questioned their father “explicitly” about the Minneapolis incident.

Said Michael Craig: “We’ve known him our whole life. He has been so trustworthy to us, so honest to us, that we believe him. Maybe it wasn’t sexual intercourse, but were these sexual actions? Were there sexual feelings? All these terrible things that were said in the media, we asked all those tough questions. I don’t want to have an answer based on a legality or technicality or semantics of the words. We wanted to know exactly what happened and after speaking to our dad, we know exactly what happened.”

UPDATES:

–GOP strategists “neither delighted nor amused” by Craig’s new announcement…”defies reality”…

Finds support in Arlen Specter: “The more people take a look at the situation, there may well be second thoughts. [If Craig had not pleaded guilty in August to a reduced charge and instead demanded a trial], “I believe he would have been exonerated.”

Comments

1. stephen says

Doesn’t this idiot know by now that the best thing to do is GO AWAY!

I also think that it should be honest with his kids and family, whether that has actually happened, no one except him will ever know. Sad.

2. Fin De Fichier says

Hhhhmmmm. Reconsidering pleading guilty, reconsidering resigning? Sounds like he’s wishing he could reconsider trying to have sex with another man in an airport bathroom stall. Sorry Larry, you can’t turn back time.

It’s sad really. There’s material enough here for a doctoral thesis in psychology or a case study at a psychiatric conference. The group denial of the family is like a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Somewhere in DC a Republican party strategist just got so pissed off he had to snort a line of blow just to cope with this late breaking news.

3. Zeke says

Oh God, let this be true.

It will be like an early Christmas for the Democrats.

STEPHEN, why do you want Craig to go away? He shares your views on the sanctity of heterosexual only marriage and he fights us “militant homosexuals” tooth and nail. And he, like you, seems to love trolling around with the homos in his free time. I would think that he would be one of your heroes.

4. tom says

We can only hope that this digs deeper and deeper…even if they could come up with some specious argument about “entrapment,” this idiot will have to expose himself to the max.
    I cannot believe how clueless his family is. Just shut the hell up and go away.

5. says

The Hypocrite Craig ought to be maligned incessantly by the gay community for throwing us to the wolves over and over through his anti-gay votes while engaging himself in homosexual acts. While I think sex in a public bathroom is sleazy, straight or gay, I don’t think that’s the story here. It’s the subculture of self-hating gays who pass as straight, lead double lives and then work against the gay community and our efforts to be treated as the fully human whole law-abiding competent contributing citizens that we are. That’s the story. If Craig fights to keep his Office, the gay community ought to use that as an opportunity to draw greater attention to the real damage people like him do to people like us.

6. says

7. r says

c’mon kids, he’s been doing guys in bathrooms for at least 25 years.

he didn’t get married until his sexuality was questioned, when he was in his late 30’s.

are they adopted?

8. says

Denial is the psychological process by which human beings protect themselves from things which threaten them by blocking knowledge of those things from their awareness. It is a defense which distorts reality; it keeps us from feeling the pain and uncomfortable truth about things we do not want to face. If we cannot feel or see the consequences of our actions, then everything is fine and we can continue to live without making any changes.

Sometimes denial works in a small family unit or group. But, when the whole world knows that you are a stall stalking queen on a dick hunt while holding the title of United States Senator, then denial transcends to egocentricity.

9. anon says

Uhm

Has anybody else noticed the earings in both ears of the son? He isn’t a teenager to try to get away with that look anymore.

Reporters should ask the son “As an obviously gay man yourself, how do you feel about your fatrher’s anti-gay stands in politics?”

:-) brought to you by REALITY CHECK

10. nic says

sean,
    you REALLY DO like me! “anon” is still with the uhm-chucky thing. now, who is the real zeke? who is the real harry? who is the real bertha? see how ridiculous this becomes? how ’bout we grow up? i think “anon” is the lead culprit.

11. says

the guy is a worm, however…
    he was only cruising in a mens room and so far no evidence of a sexual act or an indecent exposure has surfaced. perhaps the entrapment and resulting charges are excessive for foot tapping and stall peeping, and consequently he really should fight for his job. as much as he has a destructive history of positioning himself as anti-gay and yet is obviously a closet case, he is legally entitled to complete his term if found innocent of this incident.
    can’t imagine he’d be comfortable remaining in the senate, but he’s obviously used to feeling uncomfortable in his own skin.

12. nic says

anon,

OMG, you are sooooo clever.

Cf. “Hillary Clinton’s Appearance on Letterman” on Towleroad. Just go away.

Let me just say that I will no longer respond or react to any sissy-boy who signs “anon”.

13. jimmyboyo says

NIC child

Are you still crying because i called you out on your shit?

boo hoo

Boo hoo

Anon, Bertha, NIC, mark, harry , larry curt….it doesn’t matter you imbecile.

This is the ionternet. How dumb can you be to think that the entire internet isn’t annonymous?

post your ss# and live vid link if annonymity is so against your moral fiber.

Take your meds stupid.

:-)

14. RB says

Of course the kids believe him on what happened in that bathroom! They have believed their whole lives that he was a straight man. That is not hard to understand as we all know that Craig himself believes that he is a straight man. There is no way that his “occasional” gay desires means that he is gay! I said this before about Haggard and it still applies here…Does the dick in my mouth make me look gay?

Really, give it up and go away Craig!

15. says

Senator Craig does seem to have difficulty making up his mind: he’s married but he likes cruising men’s rooms, he pleads guilty and then says he wasn’t guilty, he’s resigning but maybe not.

Next up: he goes Democrat.

16. the queen says

I’ve had men like Larry Craig, even had one show me pix of his kids and asked me what I thought about it. Honey, you got to remember these are the same people who are behind Bush who is the liar par excellence of all time, these people are in major denial of not only their own feelings, their inner selves, but of what they are doing to the country. Like Sgt. Karsnia said, “no wonder we’re going down tubes.”

first you tap, tap, tap
    and then you shake a leg
    then you wave your hand
    and do the larry craig

17. david says

Here’s a scary thought, Gay or not, if he’s “confused” by or rattled by a plea form or simple plea process, do you really want him making decisions that affect your country a or your lives? consider the complexity of legislation passing by him. If one form does it, that as truly scary, plus he chose to plea guilty, he had an option. For God’s sake he is a US senator. He was certainly aware enough to try to intimidate the police officer with his business card. He got caught. He did something he shouldn’t have now pay the consequences of your unhealthy actions. You make the rest of us look bad! you perpetuate a stereotype that we are desperate pervs. Quit already.

18. anon (gmail.com) says

The legal case is OVER, as he pleaded guilty. Not something that is easily appealed. He’s trying to sneak back in under less media glare. It’s all based on polling data and an ego the size of all outdoors.

The Internet is not particularly anonymous unless you know how to cover your tracks. Look up header information under web surfing for more tidbits.

19. sean says

nic, keep spouting off your wikipedian facts here and there like a dog marking its territory with piss. glad to see you admire those on here who use their first and last names when posting unlike yourself. and no need to put my first name in quotes as it is indeed my first name. lemme know the next time you visit the Everglades. i’ll call in a favor to my homies.

20. nic says

anon,

you adopted a new user name? is it jimmyboyo? good for you.

how many negative epithets did you cast my way? you are fuller than a skunk in your capacity to spew stink. you keep revealing yourself to be a desperate person with no reason to be taken seriously.

so now what? am i to add “jimmyboy” along with “anon” to my do-not-respond list?

so what does the “thgldnpth” in thgldnpth@yahoo.com mean?

21. Zeke says

STEPHEN, you are absolutely right. I should have checked my sources. I thought about that AFTER I hit the “Post” button. You can’t put the bullet back in the gun once you pull the trigger. I certainly should know better. Please accept my apologies.

Jimmyboyo, welcome back. I have been wondering what happened to you. What happened to POB? Are you still in CA?

Oh, and by the way, I am the “Real” Zeke, if by “real” you mean the one who has been posting here for over three years. I don’t mean to be obstinent but I refuse to change my screen name just because some “Zeke come lately” shows up.

Maybe Zeke_star “Zeke” could change his screen name to Zeke Come Lately.

22. Robert In WeHo says

Senator Craig is the gift that just keeps on giving. I hope he stays around for a good long time. The longer he stays, the more he becomes the symbol of Republican scandal, corruption and hypocrisy, irrevocably tarnishing and discrediting their (Republican’s) politics…

23. jimmyboyo says

zeke Hi

No, not yet. A family member bec ame very sick and went through surgery. The surgery doesn’t seem to have helped so I am staying in the DC area still. Family comes first.

PS I never left towleroad like I panned either. i tried to stay away, but just couldn’t “quit ya” all.

NIC thgldnpth is a reffernce to a scifi classice series. DUNE. It is the golden path = dream of the god king Leto II representing Humanity stretchedc out into the future. The goden path ends is humaity’s end, the golden path’s continued existence is humanity’s continued existence. It is a nice thought and hopefully bush doesn’t start WW3 by nuking Iran since China gets a large part of its oil and gas from there and would retaliate with nukes.

Nic or should I call you bertha. Stop crying over getting called out on your shit about Hillary. You couldn’t defend her on the issues I brought up and your feelings are hurt. boo hoo Get over it already.

have a nice day

24. jimmyboyo says

NIC

You must be in love with me.

For someone who swears and be damned they are ignoring me, you sure do post messages talking to me or talkign about me often.

:-)

puppy love, it is so cute

:-)

25. stephen says

Dear Zeke

I am the Stephen who has the top post on this page. I was a little confused as to why my comments were being met with such contempt and sarcasm but after coming to the conclusion that you may of mistaken me for another Stephen, i now breathe a sigh of relief.

I shall now refer to myself as Steve1 from now on. Thankyou