Barack Obama | Donnie McClurkin | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | News | Religion | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Barack Obama to Tour with Anti-Gay Gospel Singer

Obama_2

Barack Obama is set to begin a three-day gospel tour in South Carolina intended to shore up support from conservative Black Christians in that state, where he is facing strong competition from Hillary Clinton. Joining him on that tour will be gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, a notorious homophobe who performed at the Republican National Convention in 2004, has vowed to battle "the curse of homosexuality," and believes that gays can be turned straight with religious intervention.

Mcclurkin_2In 2004, the reported: "McClurkin wrote on a Christian Web site in 2002 that he struggled with homosexuality after he was molested by male relatives when he was 8 and 13. 'I've been through this and have experienced God's power to change my lifestyle," he wrote. "I am delivered and I know God can deliver others, too.'"

Should Obama go ahead and appear with McClurkin it surely looks to be a huge misstep in terms of his LGBT support.

Writing in the Huffington Post, political analyst and social issues commentator Earl Ofari Hutchinson told Obama to "repudiate his gay bash tour," saying the candidate's move is shameless and reprehensible:

"Legions have bought his pitch, and have shelled out millions to bankroll his campaign. But healing and consensus building does not mean sucking up to someone that publicly boasts that he's in "a war" against gays, and that the aim of his war is to "cure" them. That's what McClurkin has said. Polls show that more Americans than ever say that they support civil rights for gays, and a torrent of gay themed TV shows present non-stereotypical depictions of gays. But this increased tolerance has not dissipated the hostility that far too many blacks, especially hard core Bible thumping blacks, feel toward gays. Obama has spent months telling everyone that he's everything that Bush isn't. He can proof it by saying a resounding no to McClurkin and to gay bashing."

Comments

1. I doubt Obama knows anything about Donnie McClurkin so everyone who suddenly hates him with the energy of a thousand stars needs to calm the fuck down. Write/call his campaign and let them know and wait to see what the reaction is before you shit your pants.

Having said that, Donnie Marie needs to go away.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 22, 2007 1:26:35 PM

2. Good point, Marco, but Obama's staff should have discussed this risky campaign strategy that may be offensive to two major groups within the Democratic Party (gays, and liberals (both white and black).

Leland: Please take hold of yourself. You make so much sense, and then you start to go wild. Your fury puts any tranny's to shame.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 22, 2007 1:33:19 PM

3. Good for Earl Ofari Hutchison as well.

I'm not extremely thrilled with Barak or Hillary--I'll vote for Kucinich in the primary but I will vote for anyone the Dems put up over any Republican including Guliani.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 22, 2007 1:37:34 PM

4. I agree Derrick from Philly. His staff should have known or at least had the brains to google Donnie before getting into appearances with him. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, however. If they ignore the growing outcry over Franklin, well that's a different story and a different bridge to cross when we come to it.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 22, 2007 1:51:17 PM

5. Wow, what a bad move.

I used to think Obama seemed like a better alternative to Hillary: a new face people could get excited about, maybe someone to bring us hope. But since then I've heard some more from him and I think the honeymoon is over. I thinks he's getting kind of desperate because Clinton is seems like the clear winner.

Too bad Kucinich will never get the nomination.

Posted by: Meeg | Oct 22, 2007 2:07:19 PM

6. Please go to Obama's website, email him, post comments on the website and get the word out about this disappointing and f**ked up "tour". This shit will not play in California. Barak's shot himself in both feet.

Posted by: busytimmy | Oct 22, 2007 3:44:38 PM

7. This is not news , look up Rev Irene Monroe's article titled: Barack's an Obama-nation on marriage equality.~

"In July 2005, the UCC General Synod overwhelmingly passed a Resolution of Marriage Equality. But in August 2005, Obama’s pastor and inspiration for the title of his recent memoir “The Audacity of Hope,” the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, spoke against the Synod’s position. “While our denomination grappled with how to address that human problem, the denomination also, at that Synod, voted to ordain a homosexual. Guess which item made the newspapers? Maybe I missed something!”

And in his closing tirades on same-gender loving issues, Wright stated: “Are 44 million Americans with no health care insurance less important than ‘gay marriage’? Why aren’t Black Christians in an uproar about that? Maybe I am missing something!”

When the article came out in light of the United Church of Christ’s stance on ordaining and marrying same-gender loving people, it was disheartening for many of us to know that Pastor Wright broke rank with his liberal denomination to stand in solidarity with a more conservative Black Church position.

So it is also not surprising that in March, when Obama appeared on CNN’s “Situation Room” with Wolf Blitzer, he stood where his pastor does on the issue. “Well, I think that marriage has a religious connotation in this society, in our culture, that makes it very difficult to disentangle from the civil aspects of marriage. And as a consequence, it would be extraordinarily difficult and a distraction to try to build a consensus around marriage for gays and lesbians. What we can do is form civil unions that provide all the civil rights that marriage entails to same-sex couples. And that is something that I have consistently been in favor of. And I think that the vast majority of Americans don’t want to see gay and lesbian couples discriminated against when it comes to hospital visitation and so on.”

Posted by: johnwill | Oct 22, 2007 4:00:15 PM

8. I don't like and don't trust Obama, never have and can't imagine I ever will. I'm tired of having to go into a voting both and choosing between two bowls of shit, based on which one smells the least. I've done that too often and I'm just tired of doing it anymore. If Obama is the nominee, or on the ticket, I will not vote for him. I will not vote for the Republican, period. If there is a viable third party option, then that's where my vote will go. At least I won't have to go home and take a hot shower afterwards. I think America is also tired of making this same type of choice. I'm tired of the Dems attitude that regardless of what they do, I have no where else to go. Well, if it means putting the Dems out of office until they finally "get it", then I'll suffer with the Republican evil for another 4 years, as will most of America. But I've had about enough from the Democrats and refuse to continue to reward them for their continued betrayals.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 22, 2007 4:36:34 PM

9. Thanks, Bob R. It's people like you who put the Bush Reich back in the White House. It's people like you who resulted in the Supreme Court being bent to the anti gay, anti civil liberties, pro imperial Presidency, until possibly after we're both dead and buried. It's people like you that put in power an Administration that has slaughtered tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis and keeps piling up the body bags filled with American men and women GIs. It's people like you that allowed people to come to power who have outlawed marriage equality in all but four states. It's people like you that do all of this and then feel good about themselves because there was no Messiah on the ticket.

YOU make me sicker than ANY Republican or Democrat! Excuse me while I go wash.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 22, 2007 6:04:02 PM

10. [[comment deleted by Towleroad]]

Posted by: LELAND FUCKCES | Oct 22, 2007 11:03:40 PM

11. Leland, and I thougth we had a truce! The fact that I was NOT surprised by Obama's stance on LGBT issues does not make me "the Amazing RB"! However it does mean that I am more open minded. Yes, I identify myself as a republican but not one without a brain! I do NOT in anyway try to excuse the actions of many repubs nor do I sell out for their cause. I stand up for what I believe in and at the end of the day it aligns with repubs more. NO I do not support Bush, I never voted for him, Romney or Thompson, but I do believe in allowing a candidate to prove to me that they are "pro gay" for more reasons than just the dem title.

And as for my great friend Zeke, you know me better than anyone here. I am merely challenging the whole notion of "they have to be better for me because they are a democrat"! You and I both know that is NOT the case. Sometimes I play the devil's advocate. From the looks around here someone has to do it! You have come to my defense many times and openly stated that I vote my conscience regardless of party. You are right! As a gay man with deep moral beliefs I vote for the best possible candidate. This has led me to vote for a dem for the last four presidential elections! NO I HAVE NEVER VOTED FOR BUSH! I voted for Clinton both times, Gore and Kerry. The latter I truly regret but could not bring myself to vote for W!

Having said that, I would like to know how I am "flawed or amazing"? Leleand, you are way off base my friend!!! And I actually enjoy reading your posts. Zeke, you know me better than this. The bottom line, the dems debated on Logo and nothing changed! I go back to my favorite line that if EVERY GAY AND LESBIAN PERSON IN AMERICA WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE IT TO THE POLLS AND VOTE, REGARDLESS OF PARTY, IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT WORLD!!!!! We do not vote, we do not take a stand and yet we bitch! WE are the LGBT community and WE HAVE TO VOTE, regardless of party!

Posted by: RB | Oct 22, 2007 11:46:30 PM

12. RB's Comments - "if EVERY GAY AND LESBIAN PERSON IN AMERICA WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE IT TO THE POLLS AND VOTE, REGARDLESS OF PARTY, IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT WORLD !!! We do not vote, we do not take a stand and yet we bitch! WE are the LGBT community and WE HAVE TO VOTE, regardless of party!"
    Are SO RIGHT ON that EVERYONE of us needs to have it taped to our foreheads! The facts are that collectively WE comprise a HUGE number of votes.....the PROBLEM is that we only seem to cast them while sitting on a barstool! ANY member of the LGBT Community that does NOT cast their vote in this election needs to realize that they will deserve the consequences that NOT casting that vote potentially brings about.

That being said, the prior comments about going to Obama's Campaign Website and posting your concerns regarding this "Tour" and then seeing what responses we as a Community receive would be the better way to judge exactly where Mr. Obama stands regarding our issues and whether or not he is worthy of our support and our votes.

Posted by: Bill in Broward | Oct 23, 2007 1:35:21 AM

13. Hello, Senator Obama. You just lost my vote.

Posted by: C.L. | Oct 23, 2007 5:02:19 AM

14. Sorry, RB, but there's no truce with assertions not backed with a single objective example. You made a series of such declarations that only a "mind reader" could make, and, worse, contradicted objective facts.

Example 1. "Obama has NEVER supported LGBT issues, NEVER." Given that he has written and said that he does regarding issues that have not come to a vote, only a mind reader could KNOW anything to the contrary. Given that it would have been easy for you to learn that he has voted against the Constitutional amendment banning marriage equality your shotgun misstatement deserved a stronger response than simply stating you're incorrect. Yes, he might be lying about his furture intent, but the statements and the vote are a matter of record while your nonempirical declaration only serves to inflame not enlighten.

Example 2. "He is not a liberal, he is NOT for gay rights and is not on our side." See above.

Example 3. " However, he is no more against us that any of the others. We just want to believe that because the dems debated on Logo that they care. They do not. " You went from indicting one candidate without proof or evidence to indicting all the candidates without proof or evidence. In addition to their written/spoken statements of support, most of them have voted FOR some kind of pro-gay legislation in Congress, including the Love to Hate Her Hillary. Edwards voted to
    expand hate crimes to include sexual orientation as early as seven years ago as did Biden who voted for gay job protection as early as 11 years ago. Richardson signed pro gay bills into law as governor. None of us can "know" if they "care" but I don't care what they feel; I care what they do/try to do. But you declared that they are "against us." Again, the facts repeatedly demonstrate otherwise. You ignored them in order to inflame and so I flamed you in return. I'm not sorry.

Example 4. "One party is no more willing to support LGBT rights than the other." You went from denying the evidence about the candidates to denying the evidence about one party versus the other. While far from perfect, match the voting record on gay rights issues of Democrats against Republicans and the simple math proves you ludicrously incorrect, therefore, grossly irresponsible , and, therefore, unacceptable and grounds for my response.

You remain entitled to your disappointment that they haven't succeeded in accomplishing more, though only someone less intelligent than you would assert that it's only a matter of will. You remain entitled to your opinion that they are insincere. But you are not entitled to distort the facts with impunity.

I wish you well.

Leland Frances

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 23, 2007 11:12:03 AM

15. I am so sick and tired of repeatedly being pitted against one or another historically marginalized group. Obama is on record of going straight to Black constituents and telling them they have to deal with their homophopia..

Blacks and Latinos pitted against..

The list goes on and on..who wins?! White GOP and GOP-lite{Hillary}

Come on folks, Obama is the brightest light we've had in politics in a long time..look at the big picture

Posted by: Maria | Oct 23, 2007 11:39:51 AM

16. Leviticus 20:13
    "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Sounds like a choice, where the penalty is death. i.e AIDS. Obama will lose the entire Black commuunity if he sides with Homos over the Church. As a former Homo McClukin has the most credibility on this issue. He is not against Homos, just the excuse that they have no control over sexual activity. The ability to chose is what makes us Human, Are Homos just instinctive primitive beasts.

Posted by: chuck burnz | Oct 23, 2007 12:27:13 PM

17. One of the links listed in the main post here also indicated that McClurkin performed at the 1992 DEMOCRATIC convention, for who? Bill Clinton!

McClurking will be singing, not preaching on the Tour. Obama has always prided himself on being open to sitting with and communicating with those with whom he disagrees. He attended a major event a Saddleback Church in southern cal., to discuss with more conservative Christian leaders how that might work together to fight the scourge of AIDS. By attending and sitting next to folk, does this mean he espouses their views? of course not. obama STANDS on his principle but allows, in fact - encourages us by example to speak with those with whom we disagree.

"I believe civil unions should include the same legal rights that accompany a marriage license. I support the notion that all people--gay or straight--deserve the same rights and responsibilities to asist their loved ones int eh times of emergency, deserve equal health insurance & other benefits currently extended to traditional married couples, and deserve the same poperty rights as anyone else"

Obama also expressed his strong support for:
    --Recognition by the federal government of the state's legal recognition of such couples (gay) and families for purposes of federal benefits & tax treatments.
    --Extending the over 1,100 federal benefits, rights & privileges & responsibilities (currently extended to heteros) to gay couples and their children.
    --The expansion of the FMLA to cover domestic partners and their children.
    --Modifying the Social Security System to pay survivors benefits to the partners of gay people.
    --Fair and equal taz treatment of gay couples on the same basis as married couples.
    Domestic partner coverage for gay employees of the civilian federal workforce.
    --Adoption by gay people and gay couples.
    --United American Families Act.
    --The Congressional repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Statement on Rev. McClurkin

"I have clearly stated my belief that gays and lesbians are our brothers and sisters and should be provided the respect, dignity, and rights of all other citizens. I have consistently spoken directly to African-American religious leaders about the need to overcome the homophobia that persists in some parts of our community so that we can confront issues like HIV/AIDS and broaden the reach of equal rights in this country.

I strongly believe that African Americans and the LGBT community must stand together in the fight for equal rights. And so I strongly disagree with Reverend McClurkin's views and will continue to fight for these rights as President of the United States to ensure that America is a country that spreads tolerance instead of division."

~ Barack Obama
    10/22/07

Posted by: timchicago | Oct 23, 2007 1:10:40 PM

18. hey i heard that u are trying but then i don' tknow the people who are funning the (DEM,sen,GOP, REP) well i will catch u l8ter me im goin to go bye. peace

Posted by: alice | Oct 23, 2007 1:17:51 PM

19. Real gay people don't have time to read and write on blogs everyday, like the political gadflies here. You self-righteous windbags are quick to judge, slow to forgive, yes expect the world to fall at your feet. This is not how we, LGBT people, move towards equality.

Further, the no-so-subtle undertones of racism present in these postings are a reflection of a larger problem in our community that has alienated many different communities of color.

Let's stop being so self-centered and focus on the real enemies, of which Senator Obama is not one.

Posted by: SteveSacramento | Oct 23, 2007 3:12:07 PM

20. Hillary 2008!!!

Posted by: Donny,CantonOH | Oct 24, 2007 11:12:23 AM

21. Democrats keep this sh*t up and you'll LOSE an unloseable election AGAIN!
    Hillary killed her campaign voting aye on Kyl/Lieberman which Cheney will use to validate attacking Iran. COUNT on massive anti-war demonstratons in NYC democratic Convention.
    Obama's stupid f*ckrard staff-faith-guy can't find a gospel singer who doesn't verbally fag-bash and spew lies about People living with AIDS (like me since '85.)

If Obama wants to be MY president he'd STAND with the LGBT candle light vigil.
    Gay-friendly concert goers should also STAND with the vigil.
    Obama talks the talk at HRC's LOGO debate, now let see if he can walk the walk.

Posted by: underbear1 | Oct 28, 2007 12:18:43 AM

22. stevesacremento,
    I've seen almost IDENTICAL posts at Huffington Posts "of undertones of racism," on this gospel Hate-Fest subject. It seems that is the Obama staff talking point to make vague charges of racism, which from the posts I've read on dozens of LGBT sites, isn't THERE.
    If Clinton or Edwards used some motherf*ckin ex-gay hatemonger at their fundraisers to evangelicals of ANY color, the LGBT condemnation would be IDENTICAL.
    So cut this BULLSH*T racist charge, or I'll direct you to Black lesbians and gay men P*SSED at OBAMA too, and you can tell them how racist they are, start with Pam Spaulding if you think you got the BALLS, (don't be suprised if she kicks them up your throat.)

Posted by: underbear1 | Oct 28, 2007 12:30:13 AM

23. www.broadnax.ch
    President Obama loves all people!. Everyone knows that Rev. Donnie McClurkin is known as a closet queen who hide behind the King James Version, he will not be your judge on judgemt day, cheer up!!.

Posted by: Richard Broadnax | Apr 29, 2009 5:52:50 AM