Art and Design | Miami beach | News | Photography | Reality TV | Spencer Tunick

BigGayDeal.com

Behind the Scenes of Spencer Tunick's Miami Beach Photo Shoot

Tunick

Photographer Spencer Tunick (above) produced one of his mass nude photo installations on Monday at the Sagamore Hotel in Miami Beach.

More than 500 people showed up to take part in the shoot, which consisted of several set-ups including 140 men nude in the pool on green rafts, 140 women in the pool on pink rafts, and 400 standing around the pool bar and on the balconies of the hotel, shaking bottles of Champagne and shooting foam into the air.

Tunick called the Miami project "a cross between an installation by Nancy Rubins and Robert Smithson, with the quirky quality of a Diane Arbus piece."

One notable participant was blogger and former Real World housemate Dan Renzi, who wrote about the experience on his blog.

SagamoreSaid Renzi: "They promised us we'd come in, work out the shot, get naked really quick, and then za za zoom we'd be done. Promise! Cut to us, today: standing around naked, waiting to re-set the shot. Standing around naked, waiting for a cloud to pass. Standing around naked, because it was just so much easier than constantly pulling our clothes off and then finding them in the pile and putting them back on again. Naked naked naked. Although I couldn't work my way into a shoot until about half-way through the day; people are insane with devotion to Spencer Tunick, following him around the country like he's the Grateful Dead, and they are ruthless when it comes time to line up for shoots. He uses only part of the crowd for each shoot, the first 150/200/whatever people in line are the ones in the shot. So although you're supposed to take turns, of course people are selfish and pushy and go repeatedly. Fortunately when I did finally make it in, it was pretty good: we were lined up on the rooftop deck, shoulder-to-shoulder, standing on chairs to lift us up above the guard railing. And up there, we were perfectly in line with the Delano/National/Shore Club hotels, so anyone in their rooms had a clear view to watch. Which, of course, they were, people were virtually picknicking on their terraces and staring. But any nervousness about being naked in public was totally negated by the terror of standing several storeys in the air, teetering on wobbly chairs, inches away from a guard rail that subsequently came up only to our knees."

Rafts
Renzi says he did the shoot because he thought it would be an interesting thing to do, although he says that for some it was somewhat dangerous: "a woman below us passed out after standing with her knees locked for too long."

Renzi was captured briefly on CNN. He notes: "You may notice my hair is all over the place; I didn't wear any product, I felt it went against the entire concept of the nakedness. Although I did wear deoderant. There's no need to be rude."

Click here for another (NSFW) shot of Renzi (in the square), via ohnotheydidnt (hey, is that Ann Coulter or Anne Heche right behind Dan?).

The photos are scheduled to be displayed at the upcoming Art Basel fair in Miami Beach. It's nice to get the naked truth about these shoots. Nice work, Dan.

I Have Been Naked All Day [how was your day, dan?]
Hundreds bare all for art in Miami Beach [miami herald]

More Spencer Tunick...
Glacial Bodies: Spencer Tunick's Latest Freeze Frame [tr]
18,000 Bare All for Spencer Tunick in Mexico City [tr]
World AIDS Day Premiere: Positively Naked [tr]
Tunick Watch: Naked on the Coast of Spain [tr]
Spencer Tunick Celebrates Skin in Caracas [tr]
A River of Flesh [tr]

Comments

1. That couldn't be Ann Coulter. It actually appears to be a biological female. The jury is still out on whether Coulter falls into that category.

Posted by: MikeinSanJo | Oct 10, 2007 11:48:25 AM

2. I agree with the first comment. Plus, the woman in the pic is about 50 lbs too heavy to be Coulter.

Isn't Tunick just being self-derivative at this point?

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 10, 2007 11:53:24 AM

3. Agreed, Gregg... Tunick needs a new shtick, and fast. Because he's verging on making nudity boring, and that's sad.

Posted by: Kyle | Oct 10, 2007 12:16:40 PM

4. Um...eeww! Not safe for work is right. Dan looks like a hot mess. He wasn't that hot when he was on RW Miami ten years ago. Can we please just stop already??? I threw up in my mouth a little bit because I was eating oatmeal...gross...

Posted by: DhaniDarko | Oct 10, 2007 12:17:27 PM

5. Tunick kindly informs us, in his trademark humility, that his work is reminiscent of such luminaries as Robert Smithson and Diane Arbus.

In my opinion, he should have invoked Thomas Kinkade, William Wegman and, ultimately, P. T. Barnum.

Absolute crap.

Posted by: Becks07 | Oct 10, 2007 12:27:25 PM

6. I know I said YAWN on another blog=-but really! Get over yourself. You are a tired pathetic yesterday kinda person. Naked people on a rock, naked peiple on a glaciar, naked people on my arse-tired!???Point? Yes-I spell incorrectly-so fuck-off.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 10, 2007 12:41:14 PM

7. ooops-i didn't know dan was fat. what happened? ok. good luck with that married boyfriend.

Posted by: Otto | Oct 10, 2007 12:48:55 PM

8. Spencer Tunick is control freak. That's what his work is about. Period.

Posted by: dave | Oct 10, 2007 12:54:37 PM

9. Spencer Tunick is control freak. That's what his work is about. Period.

Posted by: dave | Oct 10, 2007 12:55:18 PM

10. I doubt very seriously that Dan Renzi was bothered by being naked in a crowd of other naked people. I say that because I once spent an entire evening at an orgy (and I'm not talking 4 or 5 people...I'm talking 100-200 people) and everyone there, including Dan Renzi, was totally naked. He looked pretty comfortable that night.

And for those who say Dan looks fat in that picture...give me a break! You can hardly see his body thanks to that gigantic bottle of champagne and the people in front of him. I'll bet helooks just fine.

Posted by: anonymous | Oct 10, 2007 1:10:09 PM

11. Say what you want about Dan R. but he's good in the sack I can tell you that.

Posted by: SFshawn | Oct 10, 2007 1:31:45 PM

12. I'd equate Spencer Tunick's work with that of Christo.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 10, 2007 1:59:21 PM

13. I'd rather see paintings of dogs playing cards than Renzi nude. "Good in the sack"? How could he not be with lips that could suck-start a Harley?

Posted by: Lassie | Oct 10, 2007 2:00:31 PM

14. From the Miami Herald

"There was a surreal quality to the day: strip the folks who populate one of the sexiest locales in the world of their designer labels and shades and all the cultural signifiers that suggest they're hip, or well off, or taking a stand against this or that, and what you have left is almost transcendental.

You have just the body. And after so many hours of seeing so many parts of so many men and women, even that concept seems to fade. Until there is just . . . spirit."

Works for me! Keep it up Tunick!

Posted by: Giovanni | Oct 10, 2007 2:53:43 PM

15. @ GIOVANNI - the same could be said about any nudist event. It is one of the reasons I enjoy nude beaches. But what is Tunick doing that is any different from his earlier work?

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 10, 2007 7:03:25 PM