Dallas | Dooney Da Priest | Fashion Men | Hip-Hop | Music | News

Dallas Launches Homophobic Campaign Against Saggy Hip-Hop Pants

Saggy

In an effort to target the trend of saggy hip-hop pants, the City of Dallas has launched a homophobic billboard and hip-hop campaign that targets low-riding jeans wearers by pressuring them to stop the trend because it's a signal that you're gay.

Saggy2The "Pull Your Pants Up" campaign features billboards donated by Clear Channel which read: "Pull your pants up! It's rude, not cool... Walkin'' around showin' your behind to other dudes."

If that isn't bad enough, the campaign has a signature song recorded by rap artist Dooney Da' Priest containing lyrics that say, "You walk the streets with your pants way down low/ I don't know/ looks to me you on the down low."

They continue: "If you stand up straight, bet your pants fall/ Might as well walk around with your pants off/
Pull 'em up, pull 'em up, pull 'em up/ Be a real man/ Stand up/ Is that your underwear, man? Pull your pants up."

Dooney Da Priest talked to FOX News: "Got a lot of partners of mine, they come out of jail, they let me know that means you're basically easy, you're lettin another man know that you're available."

Dallas Deputy Mayor Dwaine Caraway talked to NPR about the campaign: "The No. 1 mission is very simple: pulling up your pants. That's all we want. We don't want to throw folks in jail because they wear their pants low. So we're going to make it man's law and not city law."

Comments

1. How in the hell did the city of Dallas not see this as a problem?

Posted by: Teege | Oct 26, 2007 10:04:39 AM

2. So, does that mean that saggy hip-hop pants are pro-gay?
    I say, we should fight the real enemy: popped collars.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Oct 26, 2007 10:15:41 AM

3. This is an everyday event on the Las Vegas strip. There is considerable pressure for the city council to enact new ordinances as there have been recent shootings by these thugs.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Oct 26, 2007 10:18:42 AM

4. This is surreal...and you have to love the logic of the rapper who has friends who are hardened criminals (great role model for letting kids know how to dress/behave) telling him what signals anal easiness. Implicitly, the hardened criminals are tapping easy-access asses thanks to having been in prison, but they're not punks because they're tapping and not tapped. This is so fucking stupid it could actually work, like how rumors of right-earring = gay killed off all the right-earring wearers, even among gays.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 26, 2007 10:20:31 AM

5. Good grief. If it takes a bit of 'they'll think your gay' to get this hideous fashion nightmare to stop then bring it on - please - quickly. When I was younger fashions cycled every couple of years, but no longer it seems. This ugly baggy pants look has been going on for far, far too long. Thank goodness it is rare in my urban hipster town, where the local fashionistas all where pants three sizes to small. Yum.

Posted by: John | Oct 26, 2007 10:21:28 AM

6. This is interesting...In many Torontian neighborhoods, dressing the way I dress is tantamount to "faggity" style and you can be assured that you'd get bashed at least twice before you get to destination. And now baggy pants IN PRISON mean you're available and easy? And they're using this to lure young folks into pulling up their pants or else? Unbe-f_ing-lievable. How can this be?

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 26, 2007 10:35:58 AM

7. Uhm, the trend of such baggy pants has been fading for a while. Well, who expects cultural critics and defenders of supposed moral values to be up on what is relevant.

Posted by: you know it | Oct 26, 2007 10:38:12 AM

8. That billboard is "homophobic"? It isn't rude to be flashing your butt in public? Isn't that the whole point of "mooning"?

I agree with John. This is a fashion that as long ago outlived its peculiar charm and yet it simply won't go away.

If it really is a gay signal in prison, what's wrong with embarrassing straights by telling them this little truth? They're trying to imitate criminal thugs anyway so they should learn just what they're saying.

Posted by: queendru | Oct 26, 2007 10:42:41 AM

9. I don't see how its either homophobic or as some are saying racist, I don't want to see why the local government has to get involved, and, why only black guys? I see those silly saggy, baggy pants on young men of all races, as anyone in any major city does.

A waste of time and, I would assume that Big D has far more problems than this one to deal with, like real crime and poverty.

While a total fashion faux pas, not a crime.

Posted by: Sebastian | Oct 26, 2007 10:46:33 AM

10. I'm not seeing this as homophobic. But i'm not sure. I'll call Joel Solomonese and ask his direction on this matter.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 26, 2007 10:56:26 AM

11. Looks like we're respectfully disagreeing with you on this one, Andy. I don't find the billboard offensive. Homophobic? Teenage boys are all homophobic, that's because they want to forget how they played with each others dingdings in puberty.

'Course some guys remain "teenagers" well into their prison sentence.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 26, 2007 10:58:07 AM

12. These kinds of ordinances are coming up all over the place! WTF?!? Is this really what we need to be debating? How someone wears their pants?

Posted by: Jason | Oct 26, 2007 10:58:19 AM

13. The folks in Dallas are clutching at straws in an effort to oppress and now they have their own Uncle Tom to do their job for them.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Oct 26, 2007 10:59:13 AM

14. Of course it's homophobic! I can't believe some people can't see it. The campaign's basis is telling people that if they wear baggy pants, people will think they're gay, and that's a bad thing. Isn't that homophobic? It's bad to be gay, so don't act like it?

Posted by: PJ | Oct 26, 2007 11:18:24 AM

15. They're just trying to be a little humorous. I'm not offended. There certainly are bigger things to be pissed off about.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 26, 2007 11:19:58 AM

16. If any gay person doesn't see this as homophobic, then that is a gay person who probably sees nothing as homophobic unless it's violence (in some cases) or someone being fired (unless, y'know, they totally deserved it). JFC, guys, the billboard specifies "to other dudes" and the rapper EXPLICITLY talks about his made up fantasy that saggy pants signals a willingness to get nailed in the butt by other gasp men—I know some people are hard-wired to be offended by every LITTLE thing and it can actually be annoying, but this isn't little, it's not open to interpretation as far as the motivation behind it and it has nothing to do with whether or not you like or dislike saggy pants.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 26, 2007 11:26:11 AM

17. It is homophobic. The "man law" they are referring to is entirely based around a negative view of homosexuality.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 26, 2007 11:26:44 AM

18. For those that dont live in the city maybe they understand the problem with the baggy pants issue in relation to self esteem and lack of respect. It is a problem, I dont see how the sign is homophobic. In this instance I dont agree with the author.

Posted by: Shan | Oct 26, 2007 11:28:37 AM

19. Fill-in-the-blank is bad because it can be confused with being gay? What purer example of verbal homohating could you want? Who knew there were so many DallASSians livingn on Towleroad.

Is Obama going to have to add "Dooney Da Priest" to the Donnie & Barack Road Show for y'all to get it? Or shall we suggest he take it to TexASS, too, to "dialogue" about homophobia in the hood?

Andy's only error was juxtaposing the self-cancelling "rap" with "artist."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 26, 2007 11:30:46 AM

20. PJ:

Making yourself homosexually attractive is kinda' "bad" if you aint homosexual and don't want people to think you are homosexual--especially if you are a teenage male. Yes, the ad plays on a form of homophobia, but it's a minor form of homophobia that is almost unavoidable: the heterosexist myth that giving up your booty to another man is un-masculine. That's what straight adolescents believe. Hell, you got some gay guys who believe it, how many times have you heard, "Oh, I'm a TOP only."

The ad may be a godsend. To make the most anti-gay segment in the American population (young men BLACK, WHITE, LATINO & ASIAN) feel that they are less than men if they continue their hyper-masculine, thug style. I kinda' like it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 26, 2007 11:33:53 AM

21. Dallas shows its true colors. Fort Worth is so much more classy.

Posted by: Blair | Oct 26, 2007 11:37:02 AM

22. What this is indicating is that prison culture is becoming black youth culture. Apparently they all think they are going to end up in jail. However, you do see white and Hispanic kids doing the same thing. You might want to group it all under tough guy = thug = prison motifs. That is, they are just trying to look tough. "Hey, I'm tough! I've been in prison! Look how I wear my clothes just like prisoners!". Making this a disorderly persons offense is going to be tricky. We'll literally need fashion police! Calling Deputy Carson Kressley!

No thug would use the term "rude", so that is stupid. They are taking the tack that gay = not tough to discourage the trend, which is somewhat discouraging. The easier thing would simply be to show humorous clips of guys' pants falling down.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 26, 2007 11:41:22 AM

23. WATCH IT, Leland! I've seen just as many white boys' boxer drawers as I have black & Latino boxers. Don't turn this into something it doesn't have to be about. Young white guys are just as homophobic and anti-gay as young black guys--especially if they are made aware that homos are looking at their booties--made aware PUBLICALLY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. The ad aint gonna' cause an increase of hostility to Dallas' gay community (it's already there, probably). In a perverse way, the ad is acceptable.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 26, 2007 11:48:11 AM

24. Seriously? Seriously! "The battle against saggy pants"??!

My my, Dallas jail must be hurting for criminals if they're throwing kids in jail for crimes against fashion.

I'm not surprised that they'd go after kid's manhoods to get them to fall in line. "Dude, that's so gay". Yawn.

Posted by: ridwah | Oct 26, 2007 11:49:03 AM

25. I live in Dallas, and I LOVE these billboards! I don't read homophobia into them, and if you do then that's you're own problem. We have a serious problem with gangs walking the street with their pants around their ankles, and if this can do anything about that then I'm all for it. It doesn't bother me in the least.

And Blair, "Ft. Worth is so much more classy"... really? A city that's called "cow town" and is only known for it's stock yards?? I've lived in Dallas for 8 years and have only been to Ft. Worth once...hated it!

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 26, 2007 11:58:30 AM