Dallas Launches Homophobic Campaign Against Saggy Hip-Hop Pants

Saggy

In an effort to target the trend of saggy hip-hop pants, the City of Dallas has launched a homophobic billboard and hip-hop campaign that targets low-riding jeans wearers by pressuring them to stop the trend because it’s a signal that you’re gay.

Saggy2The “Pull Your Pants Up” campaign features billboards donated by Clear Channel which read: “Pull your pants up! It’s rude, not cool… Walkin” around showin’ your behind to other dudes.”

If that isn’t bad enough, the campaign has a signature song recorded by rap artist Dooney Da’ Priest containing lyrics that say, “You walk the streets with your pants way down low/ I don’t know/ looks to me you on the down low.”

They continue: “If you stand up straight, bet your pants fall/ Might as well walk around with your pants off/
Pull ’em up, pull ’em up, pull ’em up/ Be a real man/ Stand up/ Is that your underwear, man? Pull your pants up.”

Dooney Da Priest talked to FOX News: “Got a lot of partners of mine, they come out of jail, they let me know that means you’re basically easy, you’re lettin another man know that you’re available.”

Dallas Deputy Mayor Dwaine Caraway talked to NPR about the campaign: “The No. 1 mission is very simple: pulling up your pants. That’s all we want. We don’t want to throw folks in jail because they wear their pants low. So we’re going to make it man’s law and not city law.”

Comments

1. says

This is surreal…and you have to love the logic of the rapper who has friends who are hardened criminals (great role model for letting kids know how to dress/behave) telling him what signals anal easiness. Implicitly, the hardened criminals are tapping easy-access asses thanks to having been in prison, but they’re not punks because they’re tapping and not tapped. This is so fucking stupid it could actually work, like how rumors of right-earring = gay killed off all the right-earring wearers, even among gays.

2. says

Good grief. If it takes a bit of ‘they’ll think your gay’ to get this hideous fashion nightmare to stop then bring it on – please – quickly. When I was younger fashions cycled every couple of years, but no longer it seems. This ugly baggy pants look has been going on for far, far too long. Thank goodness it is rare in my urban hipster town, where the local fashionistas all where pants three sizes to small. Yum.

3. says

This is interesting…In many Torontian neighborhoods, dressing the way I dress is tantamount to “faggity” style and you can be assured that you’d get bashed at least twice before you get to destination. And now baggy pants IN PRISON mean you’re available and easy? And they’re using this to lure young folks into pulling up their pants or else? Unbe-f_ing-lievable. How can this be?

4. you know it says

Uhm, the trend of such baggy pants has been fading for a while. Well, who expects cultural critics and defenders of supposed moral values to be up on what is relevant.

5. queendru says

That billboard is “homophobic”? It isn’t rude to be flashing your butt in public? Isn’t that the whole point of “mooning”?

I agree with John. This is a fashion that as long ago outlived its peculiar charm and yet it simply won’t go away.

If it really is a gay signal in prison, what’s wrong with embarrassing straights by telling them this little truth? They’re trying to imitate criminal thugs anyway so they should learn just what they’re saying.

6. Sebastian says

I don’t see how its either homophobic or as some are saying racist, I don’t want to see why the local government has to get involved, and, why only black guys? I see those silly saggy, baggy pants on young men of all races, as anyone in any major city does.

A waste of time and, I would assume that Big D has far more problems than this one to deal with, like real crime and poverty.

While a total fashion faux pas, not a crime.

7. Derrick from Philly says

Looks like we’re respectfully disagreeing with you on this one, Andy. I don’t find the billboard offensive. Homophobic? Teenage boys are all homophobic, that’s because they want to forget how they played with each others dingdings in puberty.

‘Course some guys remain “teenagers” well into their prison sentence.

8. PJ says

Of course it’s homophobic! I can’t believe some people can’t see it. The campaign’s basis is telling people that if they wear baggy pants, people will think they’re gay, and that’s a bad thing. Isn’t that homophobic? It’s bad to be gay, so don’t act like it?

9. says

If any gay person doesn’t see this as homophobic, then that is a gay person who probably sees nothing as homophobic unless it’s violence (in some cases) or someone being fired (unless, y’know, they totally deserved it). JFC, guys, the billboard specifies “to other dudes” and the rapper EXPLICITLY talks about his made up fantasy that saggy pants signals a willingness to get nailed in the butt by other gasp men—I know some people are hard-wired to be offended by every LITTLE thing and it can actually be annoying, but this isn’t little, it’s not open to interpretation as far as the motivation behind it and it has nothing to do with whether or not you like or dislike saggy pants.

10. Shan says

For those that dont live in the city maybe they understand the problem with the baggy pants issue in relation to self esteem and lack of respect. It is a problem, I dont see how the sign is homophobic. In this instance I dont agree with the author.

11. Leland Frances says

Fill-in-the-blank is bad because it can be confused with being gay? What purer example of verbal homohating could you want? Who knew there were so many DallASSians livingn on Towleroad.

Is Obama going to have to add “Dooney Da Priest” to the Donnie & Barack Road Show for y’all to get it? Or shall we suggest he take it to TexASS, too, to “dialogue” about homophobia in the hood?

Andy’s only error was juxtaposing the self-cancelling “rap” with “artist.”

12. Derrick from Philly says

PJ:

Making yourself homosexually attractive is kinda’ “bad” if you aint homosexual and don’t want people to think you are homosexual–especially if you are a teenage male. Yes, the ad plays on a form of homophobia, but it’s a minor form of homophobia that is almost unavoidable: the heterosexist myth that giving up your booty to another man is un-masculine. That’s what straight adolescents believe. Hell, you got some gay guys who believe it, how many times have you heard, “Oh, I’m a TOP only.”

The ad may be a godsend. To make the most anti-gay segment in the American population (young men BLACK, WHITE, LATINO & ASIAN) feel that they are less than men if they continue their hyper-masculine, thug style. I kinda’ like it.

13. anon (gmail.com) says

What this is indicating is that prison culture is becoming black youth culture. Apparently they all think they are going to end up in jail. However, you do see white and Hispanic kids doing the same thing. You might want to group it all under tough guy = thug = prison motifs. That is, they are just trying to look tough. “Hey, I’m tough! I’ve been in prison! Look how I wear my clothes just like prisoners!”. Making this a disorderly persons offense is going to be tricky. We’ll literally need fashion police! Calling Deputy Carson Kressley!

No thug would use the term “rude”, so that is stupid. They are taking the tack that gay = not tough to discourage the trend, which is somewhat discouraging. The easier thing would simply be to show humorous clips of guys’ pants falling down.

14. Derrick from Philly says

WATCH IT, Leland! I’ve seen just as many white boys’ boxer drawers as I have black & Latino boxers. Don’t turn this into something it doesn’t have to be about. Young white guys are just as homophobic and anti-gay as young black guys–especially if they are made aware that homos are looking at their booties–made aware PUBLICALLY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. The ad aint gonna’ cause an increase of hostility to Dallas’ gay community (it’s already there, probably). In a perverse way, the ad is acceptable.

15. says

Seriously? Seriously! “The battle against saggy pants”??!

My my, Dallas jail must be hurting for criminals if they’re throwing kids in jail for crimes against fashion.

I’m not surprised that they’d go after kid’s manhoods to get them to fall in line. “Dude, that’s so gay”. Yawn.

16. Wayne says

I live in Dallas, and I LOVE these billboards! I don’t read homophobia into them, and if you do then that’s you’re own problem. We have a serious problem with gangs walking the street with their pants around their ankles, and if this can do anything about that then I’m all for it. It doesn’t bother me in the least.

And Blair, “Ft. Worth is so much more classy”… really? A city that’s called “cow town” and is only known for it’s stock yards?? I’ve lived in Dallas for 8 years and have only been to Ft. Worth once…hated it!

17. says

i don’t find it any more homophobic then alerting someone who is wearing a handkerchief about the old handkerchief color codes.

i also don’t have a problem with straight males NOT wanting to be gay… guess what? i’m a gay male who doesn’t want to be straight. guys are guys, and we are insecure about certain things across the board – gay or straight (as the calling of this “homophobic” and the “stop showing your pants to other dudes” play on the same male insecurity…)

true, i think it’s a REALLY ODD way of getting kids to pull up their pants (which are a tripping hazard anyway)… but hardly falls under the “homophobic” label.

18. Leland Frances says

Derrick. Derrick. Derrick. What is the “origin” of the baggy look? You’re smarter than to look for racism under every bed, er, comment.

But your description of this as possibly a “godsend” is absurd. While there are cases of the right thing happening for the wrong reason [e.g., the potential of HRC’s fall because of all or nothing ENDA lunatics] but they’re rare.

Is a minor beating, say with fists instead of a baseball bat, like “a minor form of homophobia”? If those white kids you fairly mention were being told not to dress that way because it’s “Black” [I can remember a white girl in my high school telling a white guy his shoes looked like “nigger shoes”], and the text went, “don’t act Black, don’t act Black, don’t act Black/Be a real man/” would that be okay?

If this homohating/exploiting ad campaign is ok then it’s okay for Obama to “use” McClurkin to “teach” about homohatred.

19. Derrick from Philly says

Leland:

The saggy pants look comes from the “prison inmate” culture of the 1980s (inmates weren’t allowed to wear belts). The look caught on with the gansta’ rappers, and suburban white boys love their gansta’ rappers.

And how many suburban white parents have told their blond haired 17 year old, “Don’tgo out of the house with your pants falling off your butt–honestly, Biff, you dress like a nigger.”

Leland: I just don’t see why Obama & Ms McClurkin had to come up on this topic.

The only thing I hate about young guys pulling their pants up is that if they do they can pull me to the automatic teller machine. As long as they walk around with their pants hangin’ off their asses–lookin’ like “THe Little Rascals”–they aint gettin’ this queen’s money.

20. says

I agree that there are bigger fish to fry but how some don’t see this as a homophobic attempt(and a ridiculous one at that)geared towards easily intimidated minds of young folks, baffles me. It’s like someone said about wearing an earing on the right. It may have worked back in the day when people were still afraid and ashamed of being gay. But nowadays, the last thing we want kids to think is that ANY fashion style should be banned (no matter how stupid and ridiculous,or sexy to some), it looks to avoid being perceived as gay. My two cents.

21. JeffRob says

Oh, come on. Listen, people. If every time heterosexuals assert their heterosexuality we call it homophobic, we won’t be doing ourselves any favors. Kind of a Crying Wolf thing.

For pete’s sake, BEING straight isn’t homophobic. Our movement towards equality, and coming out en masse, may have ushered in the age of “metrosexualism”, but there’s a big difference between heterosexuality and heterosexism, or homophobia.

Just because we want to “normalize”, if you will, what we know to be our natural human condition in the national mindset does not mean we should therefore vilify natural expressions of heterosexuality. That makes us no better than them, and like I said, doesn’t do us any favors.

Lighten up, people! Straight guys like girls and want people to know it. Sound familiar? Get over it!

22. says

Guys, it is CLEARLY homophobic, but therein lies its effectiveness. The demographic wearing their pants this low fears nothing more than being perceived as a homosexual and Dallas is using that fact to get the pants up.

23. soulbrotha says

Wayne, I’m not sure what your point is. Are you saying that by shaming these “gangs” into pulling up their pants, they will then stop gangbanging and become responsible citizens? Maybe I’m not understanding your definition of “gang”.

As for this song being homophobic, have ANY of you even listened to the damn lyrics?!

Pull Your Pants Up lyrics

Pull your pants up….

I’m your street priest, I’m not here to judge
    This a letter to the streets, Talking to my thugs
    From your ???Market jeans, to what you want to wear
    I just sayin’ man, I’m sick of seeing your underwear

I think I speak on behalf of the community
    You look suspect, jail is where ya soon to be
    Behind bars it’s a code for the “n-word”
    The word “saggin” spelled backwards IS the “n-word”!

You walk the streets with your pants way down low
    I don’t know, looks to me you’re on the “downlow”
    Some of y’all think it’s gangsta to show your back
    On behalf of real men, we ain’t feeling that

We don’t understand man, cuz it shocks us
    Can you make us understand why you show your boxers?
    If you stand up straight bet your pants fall
    Might as well walk around with your pants off

Be a real man, stand up
    If thats your underwear man, pull your pants up!
    I’m a grown man on my grind, trying to shine
    How you gonna grind, when you showin your behind

I think it’s rude, but some of y’all think it’s cool
    Walkin’ around showin your behind to other dudes
    It looks retarded, degenerate and real odd
    Yeah you’re hard, but now it’s hard to get a real job

Whassup little bro, I’m just trying to let you know
    Put a belt around your waist before your pants hit the floor

You’re 20 and above, and you STILL sag?
    Man, you grown and you wrong, you should feel bad
    A disgrace to your race, where you’re pride at?
    C’mon man, pull up your pants and get your pride back
    I’m not saying don’t show your swag with your baggy jeans
    I’m just saying don’t show your — with your baggy jeans

Pull em up, whatsup wit it bro?
    Pull em up before your pants hit the floor.

This song is no more homophobic than Timberlake’s “Dick in a Box” was sexist. Shame on you, Andy.

24. soulbrotha says

And for those of you who are sure to zero in on verse 3, tell me what the difference is between that and telling guys dressed in super tight leather pants that they “look gay”.

25. JeffRob says

Soulbrotha- Thank you.

We need to be pissed off at the Monroe County, NY district attorney for not pressing charges against the savages that beat down two separate groups of gay people in one night. The VICTIMS are still on trial for disorderly conduct. The violent animals run free.

We need to be pissed off at Bill O’Reilly for putting a “Gay Agenda” sign over JK Rowling’s head in front to 30 million viewers.

We need to be pissed off at Republicans, in general.

We don’t need to be pissed off at straight people being straight.

26. Mousey says

Absolutely Ridiculous!

I have worked in the Prison system and Prison life IS NOT THE SAME as Civilian life. So you really cant compare the two.

This is an example of people trying to force their views and beliefs on others, sticking their nose up someones ass literally. Are the really trying to enforce public dress code!?

PEOPLE- Mind your business. Hell, let them walk around naked if they want- Why do you CARE!?!?!?!

>>>If your going to try and change something- How about try and stop the selling and buying of drugs, or promote education!<<<

27. Nita says

So………. this is only noticeable because the campaign is anti-gay? but it would be acceptable if it remained squarely anti-black, as it does elsewhere?

Whatever.

28. Nita says

Derrick from Philly, the interesting thing for me is how in a previous generation (the one which gave birth to author Anne Moody), sagging pants was the mark of poor white trash, because p.w.t. couldn’t afford belts and had no asses to hold those pants up with anyway. Parallel developments, different geneses.

Soulbrother, thank you for the lyrics. The song does equate low slanging pants with a loss of masculinity, and being in the closet (the ‘down low’ reference). For myself, I don’t care what kids wear as long as they dress appropriately when they head in for a job interview and, depending on the denomination, for church). Not all styles of dress are appropriate for all venues.

Still, the hysteria over low slanging pants is much more anti-black than it is anti-gay. Other places will use the gang angle. But it’s still, at its heart, anti-black youth culture — not anti-gay. They came for black women who wore naturals (or went bald) instead of yaki and perms, they came for dreadlocks, they came for baseball caps and baggy clothing which could conceal weapons and other stashed items; they need to come for Lindsay Lohan’s handcuff necklaces and Sarah Jessica Parker’s gold nameplate on a chain and whoever stole TLCs female slanging. How many people were scarred for life after inadvertant glances at muffintops and thongs on folks who shouldn’t have been muffintopping with a thong? Tsk.

29. Leland Frances says

“looks to me you’re on the “downlow” …
    On behalf of real men …
    Be a real man …
    showin your behind to other dudes …
    degenerate …”

Oh, yea, so not homophobic/homohating/exploiting at all! And the F-word Isaiah used meant “friend.”
    And Donnie McClurkin [who is totally related to this as, per Irene Monroe, the “poster boy for African-American ‘ex-gay’ ministries”] is not antigay. Nor is George Bush. Nor Romney. Nor….

30. Nikko says

Xtreme baggy pants is one ugly, innappropriate fashion statement that glorifies crime/thug life….and concern about it only comes out now??!! As if that’s what the African community really needs- more faux pas to stereotype their people/culture. This should have been dealt with long ago.

31. dancob says

What’s more primitive? Wearing saggy pants OR denigrating a person by suggesting that they might be gay in order to get them to do what you want them to do?

Primitive is as primitive does! Wearing saggy pants is simply a teen-agers expression of individualism and non-conformity. These primitive rappers just want to shame rebelious teenagers into dressing the way they the rappers think they should. It’s stupid, plain and simply. But primitive people are incapable of discerning important issues from unimportant ones. And in primitive cultures, the one sure way to shame someone is to suggest they are **immature primitive childish giggles here** gay!

32. dancob says

Look, I do not mean to be uncharitable about African-Americans, but the attitude about gays in the Afro community is similar to the attitude among African nations today: Primitive. African Americans are in a very unusual circumstance socially. Think of the immense challenges their society has undergone from being a primitive culture –much like from the stone age– and within 150 years, they have been propelled into the social fabric of an advanced civilized technological society. And some of their attitudes and outlooks are still primitive. Period. I was once told by a black friend that murder is one way that blacks deal with problematic people in their lives. He was very matter-of-fact about it. And I am always amazed about how many of my black friends have immediate family members who have been murdered. It’s just not big a thing in many black communities.

33. says

As Derrick, Matthew and Wes have pointed out, there is an obvious homophobic subtext to this campaign, as well as a direct link to the promotion of prison culture. Who benefits from the promulgation and promotion of gangsta culture aimed at minority youth needs to be exposed for what it is. It’s almost ingenious in how the Dallas authorities have managed to fuse homophobia with racism.

This isn’t new by any stretch; it harkens back to the causal factors behind the zuit suit riots during the Second World War.

34. soulbrotha says

Yes I see it now! If you take words and phrases out of context and throw them together instead of looking at the lyrics as a whole, you can see that this is complete and utter anti-gay propaganda. Yep, there it is. Wow, why didn’t I see that before. Gee, it’s so great to have really smart people on here who use words exactly the way anti-gay minsters do.

35. says

Dallasite here. I call it the new CRACK IS WHACK campaign. And it’s completely ridiculous. Racist, homophobic, call it what you will… the point is, it’s not going to work!

36. So Left I'm Right says

There is such a frequent current of racism in the comments on this site. But anyway, this is simply silly as, one saner commenter said, it won’t work anyway. It is obviously ludicrous and unconstitutional to legislate public dress codes. If you’re not hanging your dick or tits out and have a string up your ass, you’re pretty much covered. Not that I care to see it myself most of the time, but I’m just saying. If there is an issue, it’s that some of the drawers these low-hanging pants-wearing boys have on are nasty. At least put on some fresh boxers or something!

37. mike says

I guess I don’t get it. I live in NYC and when this fashion started, I LOVED it! All these very sexy young men, with baggy pants, showing their Calvins (or Tommys or 2Xists or whatevah)! The Dallas campaign is so damned homophobic that there should be a LOUD protest against it. Besides, the key point here is that Dooney talked to FOXNoise, which should tell you right there who is behind this anti-baggy campaign. Aside from the esthetic factor, I’d rather see baggy pants any day over tight Levis. Leave something to the imagination. Besides, good, big things come in baggy packages.

38. mike says

Dan B, if you don’t think those lyrics aren’t out and out homophobic, then you need some serious educating. The whole point of Dooney’s rap is that there is something UNMANLY and faggy about baggy saggy pants. Um, does the word “degenerate” ring a bell? I think Dooney’s a dick just like I think Dallas is run by dicks. This is another, typical, FoxNoise-generated controversy. What’s really annoying are all the people on THIS board who slam the baggy fashion-trend. I don’t get it. I always thought it was sexy, especially in the summer. I’d rather see guys in loose clothes than in tight clothes. Guess I like it left to my imagination.

39. Brandon says

“but therein lies its effectiveness”.

..in what way exactly – in continuing an ignorant cycle? I just don’t understand the logic. Appoint people who think they are the epitome of masculinity to mock other guys who think the same? I mean, are we really supposed to believe that the motivation behind this is concern for public welfare (these are clothes, for crying out loud), rather than to knock down a generation that thinks they’re so cool and masculine, even moreso than many of the city official’s generation, of whom probably sported bell-bottoms and other tight clothing in the 70’s that was later to be considered un-manly?

“There is such a frequent current of racism in the comments on this site”.

Well, that’s just one more problem. Oddly enough, there seems another current of pandering to heterosexsim. “Oh that’s not homophobic, they’re just reinforcing their heterosexuality”. Well, how about testing whether they think you’re doing to same by “reinforcing” your homosexuality in public.. Make all kinds of derisive comments about heterosexual imagery. For example, next time a heterosexual couple is kissing, be sure to say how gross it is, and that you don’t want to see it. But be prepared to fight, as many wouldn’t be so quick to give you the benefit of doubt as you naively give them.

40. Derrick from Philly says

JMG:

Dahlin’, you need to follow Uncle Leland’s lead and have the background of fighting racism since the 1970s before you start to chastise black visitors to this blog about what is racially offensive and what is not. You see, I wouldn’t respect Leland Francis as much as I do if he hadn’t spoke about his courageous liberal past in previous posts–besides Uncle Leland is gettin’ up in age.

JMG, I’ve been readin’ you lately. You don’t like the “pier children”, do you?

(I came into work on a Saturday to do some work, and what did I do? Come to Towleroad.”

41. GV says

Soulbrotha,
    You`ve written the lyric as “ I think it`s rude.“
    His MySpace site has the song, and it does`t say “rude.“ I heard
    “ I think it`s gay, Some of y`all think it`s cool, Showing your behind to other dudes.“ Add to that “I think you`re on the down low“ and “Be a real man,“ etc. etc, and it is very much based on anti gay ideas.

As for your question asking what is the difference between that and criticizing tight oants because they make a man look as if he might be gay, the answer is that there is no difference.
    If the City of Dallas were funding an ad campaign warning youth, for ANY reason, not to look or act or seem gay, it would be totally inappropriate use of tax dollars.

42. GV says

Soulbrotha,
    You`ve written the lyric as “ I think it`s rude.“
    His MySpace site has the song, and it does`t say “rude.“ I heard

43. soulbrotha says

GV I listened to the lyrics on NPR’s website (they play the whole song). I listened to it and the word he uses is “rude”, not “gay”.
    I don’t know why the word is different on MySpace, but if you listen to the actual song on NPR, “gay” is not used.
    Also, the main issue here is not about the funding, it is whether or not the song is homophobic. My point was if we ourselves judge folks attire as “being gay” (tight red leather pants), then isn’t it hypocritical to judge a rapper calling saggy pants “downlow”?

@TJ, if you look at the the 3rd verse, he is making a comparison of gangsta and “real men”, not “downlow and “real men”, as some folks would have you believe. So grab a hold of your own shoulders, Boo. Then bite me.

44. nic says

soulbrotha,

NPR also had commentary from mark anthony neal, prof. of black popular culture @ duke u. who agreed that the concept of the ad campaign (initiated by black city councilman, dwaine caraway, district 4) was equating “saggy pants” to homosexuality.

now, if the association of prison and thugism to gay culture at large is not ridiculous enough on it’s face, the wanton embracing of such by too-proud black queers certainly is.

i am a latino gay man who has lived through the bullshit foisted upon me, but i’ve learned to cut through it. i can disavow lap dogs like former a.g. alberto gonzales. can you do the same?

45. soulbrotha says

You know Nic, I’m pretty sick and tired of your ridiculous insinuations. You pretty much always make general assumptions about who I am and what I believe instead of addressing what I say or the questions I present. So rather than respond to your question, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions. That’s what you’re going to do anyway. Because like you said, once one makes up his mind about something, it’s almost impossible to change it, isn’t it?

46. Sojourner Truth says

Sorry “Derrick from Philly” but the message is clear “it’s not cool” for guys to be looking at other guy’s asses.

And what’s with this “Pullem”?

If you’re going to abbreviate shouldn’t it be “pull ’em”?

Just what the hip hop world needs is another poster reinforcing the high regard adolescent males have for the gay community already.

Thanks for bringing this to public attention Andy. Logo Channel just featured a clip on it.

47. Sojourner Truth says

“Soulbrotha”?

What about this particular line in the lyrics you cite is not homophobic?

“I think it’s rude, but some of y’all think it’s cool
    Walkin’ around showin your behind to other dudes..”

Hmmmm?

48. soulbrotha says

“Sojourner Truth”?

For the umpteenth time, if you pull it out of context, then yes, it could be construed as homophobic. However, it’s true that it IS rude to have your ass showing to other people, dudes included! I don’t find it appealing or sexy seeing kids/teens/men with their asses/drawers hanging out of sagging pants, as many other “dudes” on here have also stated. Therefore, the lyric can also be read as a simple statement of fact.

So in humble my opinion, the lyric that has the most potential to be inflammatory is the “downlow” lyric. And as I stated before, I find it hypocritical to get upset about it when we (gays) make comments about how certain clothes look “gay” on men. Again I ask, what is the difference? What condemns the rapper, but gives gays a free pass for making the same types of judgments?

Hmmmm?

49. JJ says

You stupid homophobics cant try to threaten that fashion by saying its for gays like that’s negative, your giving yourself away with your own insecurity of your sexual orentation. Sorry but hetros arent that insecure of their orientation to be threaten by that. No 2 MILLIONS OF LESBIAN OF COLOR STUD CHICS WHERE THOSE PANTS so how are you gonna stop them they allready gay.

50. JJ says

If you want to say its just rude to show your underware and private parts keep it at that, you dont have to try to imply its gay so that its negative because its a gay thing so you shouldnt wear the pants.

51. GV says

Soulbrotha,
    I don`t know whether the Dallas campaign will use the version from NpR that says “I think it`s rude“ or the version that the rapper seems to be promoting on his own (if that`s his MySpace site}, where he says, “I think it`s gay.“
    Since that story, he has told the media outlet that he has real good values and is against homosexuality. It`s clearly not an accident that the song implies, in many different verses and ways, that either being gay or looking at dudes or being looked at by dudes that way is not cool and threatens one`s very status as a real “man.“
    You ask again about the hypocrisy if someone gay were to criticize ugly fashions as making someone look like they are gay and saying therefore they should not wear it. YES, that would be very hypocritical. But you sound as if this is something that YOU do, and ask the question as if it were someone else`s issue.
    I would never point out something ugly and say it looks too gay and the wearer should try to look more heterosexual (I don`t even associate ugly fashions with sexual orientation}. And I definitely wouldn`t want my government spending my tax money to send others that message.

52. GV says

Soulbrotha,

53. soulbrotha says

Yes RV, I saw the new report on this rapper, but I never once said that HE was not anti-gay. I am dealing strictly with the lyrics.
    Whatever he is implying is in the eye/ear of the reader/listener. Personally, I don’t think the implications are as clear as you see them, as I’ve stated ad infinitum.
    Also, there is an actual subculture of “downlow thugs” who DO wear their pants saggin’ in this exact same fashion! They have porn sites, night clubs and underground sex parties. And you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the men targeted by this campaign. There are butch lesbians who are passing as “dudes” who have adopted this “style”. So what do you say about that? If the lyric is factual, is it still anti-gay? And placed in context, it becomes a mere mention, not the whole message. He doesn’t harp on it. He immediately compares being “gangsta” to being a “real man” (i.e. NON-gangsta).
    Yes I have judged men by their appearance. I don’t deny that. But I’m also not slinging arrows at someone else for doing the same thing. Now maybe YOU don’t criticize men’s clothes that way, but I would find it hard to believe that most gay men haven’t done it at least once. Even if it’s just a rolling of the eyes, sucking of the teeth or shaking of the head. By some of the catty comments posted on this blog, I know that it’s a common practice! Thus,hypocrisy.
    I never said anything about supporting the campaign (which I don’t). I too think it’s a waste of tax dollars and asinine to boot. But that was never my point from the start.

54. Bernardpowers says

Ummm haven’t read all the posts but just to clarify the whole rumour that sagged pants is a sign that you are available in prison is an urban legend started to get kids to pull they’re pants up this is the first one time i have seen it in an add campaign. ANd yes this is hmomphobic or at least gives legitimacy to the homophobic views if the target audience as it is using them.

Real question is though, why on earth woud any city council anywhere be speind money trying to get people to dres differently, absolutly ridiculous.

Oh an on a side note, i have noticed that while yong men around my area wear jens 3 szes to small they still wear them aroud they’re dick.

55. says

[url=http://www.verifiedfile.com][img]http://demya.com/images/google.gif[/img][/url]

[b]Promote Your Website, Product & Services on Targeted Forums & Blogs[/b]
    We can post your promotional message on millions of forums worldwide. No, this isn’t spam email. It’s penetrating online established communities relative to your website, product or services. Not only does this increase SEO & Web Traffic, but by targeting forums relative to your