Desperate Housewives | Kevin Rahm | News | Television | Tuc Watkins

Desperate Housewives: Gay Couple Arrives on Wisteria Lane

[[SPOILERS]]

Wisteria Lane's gay neighbors Bob and Lee, played by Tuc Watkins and Kevin Rahm, moved in last night. Susan Meyer quickly tried to ingratiate herself, with a typically dimwitted series of endeavors.

You may have missed...
Desperate Housewives' Gay Couple Goes Trick or Treating [tr]

Comments

1. LOL

I have never watched this show, but those clips were funny. I might just have to watch it now.

Though wisteria lane from those clips looks awfully white. My suburbs has african americans, latinos, asians, and whites. I thought all suburbia looked like thus

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2007 11:01:24 AM

2. I WAS JUST THINKING THE SAME THING...HAVE NEVER SEEN THE PROGRAM...BUT, IT LOOKS LIKE FUN.

Posted by: CLIFF | Oct 22, 2007 11:13:42 AM

3. Hey Jimmyboyo: They attempted to add some color to Wisteria Lane in Season 2. But it turned out to be a pretty bad storyline about a mother keeping her mentally challenged son locked in the basement. It was a considerable waste of the talents of Alfre Woodard. I've been a fan of the show since it started and I have been really enjoying this season so far. It should be interesting to see how the gay couple affects the dynamics of the other's storylines.

Posted by: phredd! | Oct 22, 2007 11:25:50 AM

4. Marc Cherry, the creator of Desperate Housewives, is a Log Cabin Republican who in 2006 accepted an 'American Visibility Award' from the group at their annual dinner in Hollywood. At that same dinner, the Log Cabin Republicans gave their 'Courage To Lead' award to Governator Arnold Schwarzenegger, the same man who recently vetoed a bill that would have granted marriage equality to GLBT Californians. I wonder, are the new gays on Wisteria Lane cut from the same cloth as their creator, Marc Cherry? Better yet, is there any reason you've chosen to give him press without mentioning his odious politics?

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 22, 2007 11:33:35 AM

5. I'm not too thrilled with what an uptight bitch the Lee character seems to be - its says to me character with short term presence on the show. I hope it doesn't end up being a Bob/Lee domestic violence storyline...

Posted by: David B. | Oct 22, 2007 11:34:43 AM

6. They were kinda catty. It'll be interesting to see how their story works itself out.

Posted by: Dawson | Oct 22, 2007 12:03:16 PM

7. The joke about gay men loving fashionable clothes while straight men are clueless about fashion is so, so old. My brother and my father are both straight, and both of them... even my father, who takes NO interest in fashion... would at least have HEARD of 'Dolce and Gabbana'. They wouldn't be like "What's Dolce?" as Susan's husband says here.

Posted by: Lucy | Oct 22, 2007 12:07:58 PM

8. Well Bob is hot (for an older guy). Lee has a very rodent-like look that's a turn-off for me.

I thought Susan was hilarious. She just tries too hard. She means well though, which can't be said for everyone on that show.

I can't wait to see how they get along with Edie or Andrew. It'll be interesting...that's for sure.

And what's up with the new crazy bitch? (Dana Delaney) She's got some dark secrets, plus her husband's kinda hot.

Posted by: Jordan | Oct 22, 2007 12:38:34 PM

9. Some of the comments here are taking the show too seriously. This is the wrong show for you because it's mostly a comedy, especially Susan's storylines. There's no way that they can please all gay people & they shouldn't try to. Plus, they have to give them some characteristics or they'll be one boring couple. Remember the gay guy from Melrose Place? They made him so perfect because they were scared to offend that he hardly had any storylines. Have a sense of humor everyone.

Posted by: Rex | Oct 22, 2007 12:54:02 PM

10. Phred

Thanks for the info.

A look over at IMDB just ahs the 2 actors listed as being in 3 episodes. I hope that means that they just haven't filmed the reast of the season yet as vs after 3 episodes they move them out of Wisteria and back into the city.

I will definitely be watching this show no to see these 2 guys and where it goes story wise.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2007 12:59:29 PM

11. OH MY GOD, my husband and I had EXACTLY that conversation with a neighbor when we moved into our current home. A very friendly woman came running over as I was unloading things from the moving van and said almost word for word what the woman in the clip said, right down to the assumption that I had a wife and, once being introduced to me husband, assuming that we had a third partner when we told her that our son (who we only mentioned by name) would also be living with us.

As it turns out, she, from that day forward has been our best and closest friend in the neighborhood.

We still laugh about the day we first met.

I've never seen this show before but that one scene was PURE GOLD to me. It may have been written by a Log Cabin Republican (I'm not sure why that is significant) but that particular scene was both funny and realistic.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 22, 2007 1:00:18 PM

12. PS

David B

i think his character seems so bitchy at first due to his not wanting to move away from the city in the first place. I am only basing this off of these clips here. The look on his face when told they were going to leave the city was very much one of shock.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2007 1:01:26 PM

13. Oy vey

sorry for my typos.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2007 1:03:31 PM

14. Lucy, my brothers are all straight and if said 'Dolce' to them (especially in that context) they would look at me like I had three heads. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch that the character of Mike wouldn't know what that was, given his background on the show.
    But if anyone protests the 'cattiness' (as I have read elsewhere, besides here on Andy's site) of the two new residents - do you live in a dream world? These 2 are like most gay men I know, especially in NY. There's no debate. Given Cherry's self-loathing, I was surprised that these two weren't flaming, swishy queens...which, come to think about it, wouldn't be that much different than most gay men here in NY.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Oct 22, 2007 1:05:01 PM

15. Of course we remember "the gay guy from Melrose"! He's Lynette's husband on THIS show now!

BTW, it's interesting to watch the commencement of the Marc Cherry Minstrel Show.

Posted by: jeff | Oct 22, 2007 1:19:44 PM

16. it's really not appealing to watch supposedly mature characters engage in naively adolescent, ethel & lucy-inspired shenanigans like susan did on "desperate housewives" last night. her efforts to win over the hearts & minds of the new neighborhood homos were downright cringe inducing. not even on a TV show where imagination needs to be stretched like a strip of elastic could i buy that storyline.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 22, 2007 1:25:09 PM

17. I've met Cherry and though he may be a Log Cabin Repub he didn't strike me as self-loathing. Also, there are Latinos on the show so it's not completely white--there are other colors than white and black. The suburb I grew up in was completely white.

Posted by: Bovee | Oct 22, 2007 1:27:22 PM

18. JeffreyChrist, after I posted my comment I went and checked with my Dad. To set the scene for you, let's start by saying that this is an English guy who bathes once a month, shaves only under protest, thinks a paisley shirt with a different kind of paisley tie is fine, has hair growing out of his nose and ears, and probably wouldn't use a cologne coming out of a spray because he'd think it was effeminate. I asked him if he'd known what "Dolce" was if I referred to it in connection with a suit. He said "Yes, I'm bombarded by the same adverts you are". (Admittedly, he couldn't remember the second part of "Dolce and Gabbana"... he knew it was "G-something"... but he knew it was a fashion label). Sorry, but I just don't buy it that Steve wouldn't know.

And to the guy who said that some of us were taking the storyline too seriously... if that's directed at me, I know it's supposed to be comedy. What bothers me is that the comedy is stale as old bread.

Posted by: Lucy | Oct 22, 2007 2:16:41 PM

19. I talked to my dad and brother today. Neither of them knew what a "Dolce" suit was.

To be honest, if it weren't for the reports here on Towleroad I wouldn't have known what it was either.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 22, 2007 2:44:54 PM

20. Shoot I can't see the videos...I never was a fan of the show...Especially after they killed off the black family (with fine a$$ Mehcad Brooks),and I agree as someone already mentioned that the storyline was mediocre. So we'll see how these gay characters survive...

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 22, 2007 2:46:24 PM

21. Saying this as a person who owns not one piece of D&G clothing I really find it hard to believe that someone has never heard of them. It's just sort of mind-bogglingly provincial. Not knowing doesn't up your "butch" cred, either.

Posted by: Whaaat? | Oct 22, 2007 3:07:37 PM

22. I only started watching a few weeks ago when my relatives came visiting.

The gay couple story line is pure Green Acres. I thought the first episode story line was hilarious; we'll see if they can keep it going. Like another commenter, I hope that they're in more than 3 episodes.

I liked Tuc Watkins as Malcom Lafferty in "Beggars and Choosers".

All in all, it's a pretty funny show, at turns dark humor and slapstick.

I think Brothers & Sisters after it is also a pretty good show.

Of course, if there's a writers strike, it's all going to come to a screeching halt.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 22, 2007 3:11:34 PM

23. I hadn't seen this show in ages, and caught it last night purely by coincidence. The gay characters don't strike me as offensive, but Susan is just plain annoying. Her constant pratfalls and idiotic attempts to solve problems are incredibly inane. Stealing a dog, then leaving it in a garage with a bunch of yellow paint that it seemingly swam in? Tired. And the jokes about crabs could have been much funnier!

Posted by: Paul | Oct 22, 2007 3:32:42 PM

24. "Saying this as a person who owns not one piece of D&G clothing I really find it hard to believe that someone has never heard of them. It's just sort of mind-bogglingly provincial. Not knowing doesn't up your "butch" cred, either."

I agree with you WHAAAT?

Posted by: jmg | Oct 22, 2007 6:30:57 PM

25. I could see not knowing D&G if this were set in farmland USA or something. But have ya SEEN the clothes the women wear? Granted, it's a TV show, but this is clearly an upscale suburb, with even an honest to god fashion model (Gabrielle) neighbor, charity fundraisers, blah blah blah.

Plus, in his past, Steve was a criminal with connections to VERY wealthy folks, and in fact his son is now filthy rich. It just does not make sense that he would have no clue about designer suits.

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 24, 2007 6:19:13 PM