Daniel Anders | News | Philadelphia

Openly Gay Judge Takes Oath in Philadelphia

The Philadelphia judicial system will unofficially celebrate National Coming Out Day today when Daniel Anders takes the oath of office at City Hall, becoming the city's first openly gay male judge.

Anders_2Anders, who will be the youngest of 93 judges in Common Pleas, told the Philadelphia Inquirer: "Though lots of people know I'm gay, the coming-out process really doesn't end. It's important to be who you are and to be happy with yourself. Many other courageous people came out before me. Being gay doesn't define who I am or impact my job in any tangible way, but maybe I can be a role model for some gay kid or inspire someone to get involved in politics. I view being a judge as a career move. I think the bench benefits from having judges there for 20, 30, 40 years. I'd like to stay for as long as people will elect me."

Anders decision to take the bench was not without sacrifice: "In his world, public service trumps money. He donates so many of his services to the gay community that he jokingly refers to it as 'pro homo pro bono.' Jeff Guaracino of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp. says Anders 'could have made a fortune as a partner, but he chose to ensure justice for the gay community.' In hard dollars, Anders took a $100,000 pay cut from his former salary. Given that he was on track to make partner next month, the difference would have been exponentially larger."

First openly gay male judge in Phila. to take oath today [philadelphia inquirer]

Comments

1. I hope I voted for him. Y'all should have seen that ridiculously long ballot. (Actually, we received a "gay friendly" ballot in the mail.)

A one hundred thousand dollar pay cut! Obviously, a good man and a Democrat.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 11, 2007 12:08:57 PM

2. Finally a positive role model for gay men.
    All I have to say is we need more judges like him.

Posted by: jasonelson | Oct 11, 2007 12:11:38 PM

3. Andy--you're missing the big story of the day! The President of Oral Roberts U has been accused of sending underage males text messages between 1 and 3 AM according to the Times, see below:

A suit filed by three former professors charges financial, political and personal irregularities by the president of Oral Roberts University, including a claim that he illegally mobilized students to campaign for a Republican mayoral candidate.
    The ex-professors, citing a secret internal report by an official of the Oral Roberts Ministries, linked to the university in Tulsa, Okla., sued on Oct. 2. They also contended that the Roberts house on the campus had been remodeled 11 times in 14 years, that the university jet took family members on trips and that the family’s university-paid cellphones sent text messages to “under-age males — often between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m.”

Posted by: Christopher | Oct 11, 2007 12:14:23 PM

4. CHRISTOPHER, According to the report I read it was the Oral Roberts president's WIFE who was doing the inappropriate things with under-age males.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 11, 2007 12:21:58 PM

5. As wonderful as this news from Philly is, I can't help but be amazed that this is 2007, THE TWENTY-FIRST FRICKIN CENTURY, and we're JUST NOW putting the first openly gay man on the bench in this large, metropolitan, progressive city?

I can't figure out if I should be thrilled by the step forward or pissed that it took so damned long!

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 11, 2007 12:27:08 PM

6. Hey! I know him!

*goes off singing "It's a Small World"*

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 11, 2007 1:01:10 PM

7. Zeke is correct. The NYT report on the Oral Roberts scandal doesn't make it as clear as some other reports that the suspicion surrounding the "underage male" cell phone calls revolves around the wife, though you never know how these things might evolve.

Posted by: andy | Oct 11, 2007 1:27:29 PM

8. Andy, your comment is not accurate about the gay judge. He is the first gay male judge in Philadelphia. The article from the Philadelphia Inquirer explains that there is a lesbian judge who precedes him.

Posted by: John | Oct 11, 2007 1:50:00 PM

9. JOHN, your correction isn't completely accurate either. He is the first OPENLY gay male judge in Philly. I absolutely certain that he isn't the first gay male judge.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 11, 2007 4:12:47 PM

10. for pete's sake, he's an openly gay, male judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't we leave it at that? jebus, queers....

Posted by: nic | Oct 11, 2007 7:51:51 PM