Gay Rights | John Amaechi | News | Oprah | Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Oprah to Feature Gay People Around the World Today

Gayaroundtheworld

Today, Oprah will look at what it's like to be gay around the world and feature an appearance by Indian Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil I posted about at the beginning of the month.

When he came out in 2006, Gohil said: "I knew that they would never accept me for who I truly am, but I also knew that I could no longer live a lie. I wanted to come out because I had gotten involved with activism and I felt it was no longer right to live in the closet. I came out as gay to a Gujarati daily because I wanted people to openly discuss homosexuality since it's a hidden affair with a lot of stigma attached."

Comments

1. Cain't wait to see it!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 24, 2007 11:16:20 AM

2. hmm, I wonder if she'll have any "gaydar" tests like Tyra

Posted by: Davey | Oct 24, 2007 11:38:03 AM

3. Think that is obviously great...

but, why do I dislike Oprah so much? Gaaaaaah. She does so much good yet I still get so annoyed by her.

ARgH

Posted by: David | Oct 24, 2007 11:52:15 AM

4. I can relate to the prince a bit. I've been out since I was 19 (I'm 30 now), but I've never told my Dad about me.

I'm ready to, but my Mom said that if I do, I'll pretty much be disowned. It hurts hearing that a lot, but you know ... it's the risk I'll have to take.

Posted by: Allen | Oct 24, 2007 12:21:58 PM

5. ALLEN dear, I hear you. I'm 28 and I just came out to my dad a couple of months ago. And he pretty much told me off. My mom on the other hand took it reasonably well and that created a tense situation between them. They don't live here so I could just make excuses for him and say that it's his culture and upbringing and all that but I won't. I simply told him that whether or not he likes it, I'm gay and still his son and that's all there is to it and nothing can be changed (me being gay AND his son). So unless you're ready to face your dad's "wrath"...Let's just say make sure you know what to expect and good luck, my friend.

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 24, 2007 4:00:54 PM

6. Just watched the interview of John at Oprah and I can tell you, this man exudes class.
    I dont know if it was his English upbringing but certainly he is one of the most down to earth gay icon we have in years.
    He even attended our event this year much to our surprise.
    Check it out here:

Posted by: NELSON | Oct 24, 2007 7:01:57 PM

7. I didn't get to see it today. I wish I had.
    Usually I watch the "O" everyday. I love Oprah. She's truly an inspiration to me, and makes me want to be a better person, and that's saying something, considering what a bitch I am.

I think it is heartbreaking what we have to go through, just trying to be ourselves, and what our "families" put us through sometimes really breaks my heart. If they only knew how little it mattered, and that there are so many things so worse that could happen to us that would make being gay seem like a blessing instead of whatever it is they think.

I could never talk to my parents, and when I finally did it was like all WASP parents, whose favorite pastime is denial. If you pretend it doesn't exist and never talk about it, then everything's okay. But they had to pay for decades of therapy and rehab(all to no avail).

You just have to learn to love yourself, or come to peace somehow (psych drugs and alcohol help somewhat).

At least she did a show about it. Bravo to Oprah. Love her even more!

Posted by: Jordan | Oct 24, 2007 10:01:36 PM

8. I saw the show & it was pretty engaging. The woman from Jamaica moved me to tears when she discussed she can't be free in her home country. She was also very intelligent and eloquent -- I wish CNN has used her to talk about gay issues instead of Reichen.

I love Oprah & I don't always agree with everything she does. Whatever you feel about her, you have to give her credit for bringing gay and transgender issues into the general public. She always does it with respect and doesn't feel the need to sensationalize the issues.

Posted by: scar2 | Oct 25, 2007 1:25:10 AM

9. On Sep 21st, 2007 Frances posted his opinion of Oprah Winfrey endorsement of Barack Obama on the Queerty blog.

Frances, said of Barack Obama,"Technically Obama’s position may be no less supportive of marriage equality than the others, but none of them brag about how much Black churches have influenced him, the majority of which rabidly oppose gay rights."
    Where is the poll or data that prove that “Black churches have influenced him, the majority of which rabidly oppose gay rights." It’s true that some African American churches and church leaders are paid bigots for Bush but just as true that many refused to get trapped like that. They understood, like Kenneth Samuel, a Georgia pastor and NAACP official that many African American pastors oppose gay marriage because they've been "bought out" with faith-based initiative money.

Frances then takes on his version of Oprah Winfrey by inventing a straw woman and slashing her to pieces, his only method of argument other than his hissy fits and sordid name calling.

"As for O, a more accurate response is that her endorsement is no “more” antigay than her history. I’m sick of the myth that Oprah is Miss Gay Friendly when the only evidence is that she’s friends with some gays—as long as they’re celebrities." Well at least she didn’t vote for or sign on to DOMA and DADT like the Clintons.

"As for her Saint of the Gays credentials: why does she feel the need to ever, let alone repeatedly, deny she’s gay? “ When Hillary does it it’s ok, so why is it so bad when Oprah Winfrey does it.

Frances tears into his straw woman, claiming without a single quote that she constantly asks “Do gay people STILL have problems?” and answers with his usual vitriolic hissy fit: “Yes, Bitch, we do. And you are more a part of those problems than the solution.”

I don’t know if she always asks that question but I think she may have a different answer than the straw women he created because of her show today.

Frances is fuming about Oprah Winfrey’s endorsement because unlike most shills for Heir Apparent Hillary, she actually has clout.

As a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll found that "six in 10 adults say endorsements aren't that important in deciding whom they'll support for president," endorsements mostly create momentum, help in fundraising and organizing, or can confer credibility…” But Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Obama may prove the exception says USC professor Steve Ross: "There's probably nobody with that potential greater than Oprah. [If she increased turnout by just 1 percentage point,] 1% of an increased vote in key states could swing an election. That's why Oprah's endorsement is different."

That’s why Frances is purple with rage about her endorsement, why he attacks only “Black churches have influenced him, the majority of which rabidly oppose gay rights." and calculatingly ignores losing the role of catholic and southern baptist churches, whose clout is exponentially greater than that of “Black churches” in arousing the bigot vote.

We need to keep in mind that GLBT folk and African Americans both have to struggle against bigotry in spite of the problems some have with that concept. Those problems were invented to divide and rule and we have to be aware that our enemies are not one another but bigoted politicians like those responsible for DOMA, DADT, and the gutting of ENDA plus the bigoted priests, preachers and mullahs who whore for them.

Oprah Winfrey is not one of them, nor is she perfect. But she’s most assuredly not “Yes, Bitch, we do. And you are more a part of those problems than the solution.”

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Oct 25, 2007 2:01:10 AM

10. Well, I am not gonna canonize her Saint Oprah yet, and quite frankly, I have found a lot of her shows on gay men to be a little sensationalistic, and not so sensitive at all. In particular, it seems as if she has a bug up her behind about men on the down low...how many shows has she done on that topic, and she always presents herself as Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, incredulous that that sort of behavior could happen?
    Her show with Terry MacMillan and her Jamaican boytoy was so typical...Terry MacMillan basically got lobbed softball questions by Oprah, and the ex-husband was made out to be the town tramp. Of course, no questioning of Ms. MacMillan that marrying a hook-up from your Jamaican vacation might not be the ticket to marital stability...

Posted by: tom | Oct 25, 2007 6:11:02 AM