Music | News | Scissor Sisters

Scissor Sisters to Take Look Back with New DVD

Scissorsisters_3

Scissor Sisters are set to release a new DVD next month which includes a 90-minute concert shot at London's O2 Arena as well as a 40-minute documentary.

The documentary follows the band on their world tour and includes behind=the-scenes footage from the group's appearance on the soap opera Passions and a look at the making of their "She's My Man" video.

If the box art for the DVD feels strangely retro, there's a good reason. In the 70's and 80's, Drew Struzan designed hundreds of movie posters and related memorabilia, becoming known for a movie poster style that featured a "gallery of portraits".

The band, longtime fans of Struzan's work, asked the illustrator to design the artwork for Hurrah: A Year of Ta-Dah, which goes on sale November 12.

After the jump are a couple examples of Struzan's work, but there are many more posters here.

Struzan

Comments

1. Make it stop! Somebody make it stop!

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 1, 2007 1:32:27 PM

2. Why are the edges all jagged and unfinished? It looks like they were cut out with children's scissors and pasted on. Or is that the point? Children's Scissors Sisters?

Posted by: Jack | Oct 1, 2007 1:45:53 PM

3. I think these people are so lame and contrived. I'm so sick of watching people recycle popular culture...I guess this is the 'anxiety of influence', but it would be nice if people didn't reward those who are so flagrantly un-creative...

Posted by: Paul | Oct 1, 2007 2:00:32 PM

4. I like it. I think it is a charming throwback, and a nice break from overly glossed, over processed and over photo shopped images we see day in and day out.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 1, 2007 2:07:09 PM

5. Maggie Smith in California Suite = TA-DAH!

Posted by: Chuxux | Oct 1, 2007 2:08:16 PM

6. I agree that SS are all about mining the vaults of the Billboard Top 40 of the last half-century or so, but they never claim to be doing anything else and seem to be having a heck of a good time doing it and sharing it, so why not?

Also wow, I never thought the day would come when someone would cite Harold Bloom in the Towleroad comments section. I guess it's true that gay people ARE more cultured and intelligent....

Posted by: aardvark | Oct 1, 2007 2:12:58 PM

7. I love how a band can get panned here for being "un-creative"...yet everyone drools when this site features nothing but half-naked idiots and fully-clothed idiots (hi, Lance!). Considering most of the guys shown this site are models and athletes, most of which are straight eyecandy, I prefer to see stories about gay musicians.

Love the artwork -- it totally took me back to the 80s, so I'm glad to see the guy that made the posters is still getting work...haha.

Posted by: Billy | Oct 1, 2007 2:14:12 PM

8. I love the Sisters. F the haters.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 1, 2007 2:18:58 PM

9. Struzan also did all the posters for the Star Wars Special Editions and the prequels. That's probably what he's best known for.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 1, 2007 2:22:55 PM

10. Who cares? I'm sure it'll prolly be a huge seller in the major European media markets of San Marino and Slovenia.

Posted by: Shane | Oct 1, 2007 3:06:28 PM

11. All pop culture is about recycling and reinventing, and why on earth would anyone have a problem with that?

Posted by: Toby | Oct 1, 2007 5:28:14 PM

12. God forbid the Scissor Sisters haven't single-handedly redefined music as we know it!!

Posted by: Wes | Oct 1, 2007 5:38:41 PM

13. I like the way people who sit around and type on message boards all day are so happy to make nasty comments about openly gay performers who are actually doing something in the world.

Posted by: fagulous | Oct 1, 2007 6:16:32 PM

14. The last record was sophomore slump but I still wanna do the little flying monkey who plays guitar in a corset.

Posted by: Becks | Oct 1, 2007 6:46:56 PM

15. i love this cover, its great to see a band doing something different instead of airbrushed lies. Drew Struzan is amazing and so are the Sisters.

Posted by: POSH SPICE | Oct 1, 2007 7:57:09 PM