Art and Design | News | Scotland | Sean Connery

Does Sean Connery Thong Portrait Leave You Stirred, or Shaken?

ConneryA portrait of Sean Connery, painted after he had returned from the Royal Navy and before he left Scotland to pursue his acting career, has gone on display at the Edinburgh School of Art. Posing for life art classes was how he made a living before he became Bond.

The Times Online reports: "The painting, by Al Fairweather, features in a wide-ranging exhibition held to mark the centenary of Edinburgh College of Art, which includes important works by a host of internationally acclaimed artists, including Alan Davie, Eduardo Paolozzi, and John Bellany. The Fairweather portrait shows Connery when he was in his early 20s after he had returned to Edinburgh from a three-year stint in the Royal Navy. By that time he had worked through a succession of deadend jobs and had enrolled at a gym on the Royal Mile when he was selected by the college for life classes."

Connery fancied himself a bodybuilder. Photographic evidence, after the jump...

Connery2

Via the Daily Mail: "A muscular Sean Connery was a keen bodybuilder and came third in a Mr Universe competition before finding fame as the film world's iconic British spy."

Love the hats.

Comments

1. He should be bare chested while wearing a kilt and no undies.

A real scotsman my ass. :-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 25, 2007 9:36:38 AM

2. Years ago, I came across a a photo of young Sean quite nude, in a boxing pose, with a pretty big one. As a matter of fact, I think I came across it more than once. Ever see it?

Posted by: BW | Oct 25, 2007 10:27:27 AM

3. Years ago, I came across a a photo of young Sean quite nude, in a boxing pose, with a pretty big one. As a matter of fact, I think I came across it more than once. Ever see it?

Posted by: BW | Oct 25, 2007 10:29:27 AM

4. Sean Connery was handsome 40 years ago, and he's handsome today. He's proof that you can still look good with belly...well, if you're masculine. A queen can't afford no belly--that's why I'm in hiding.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 25, 2007 10:41:59 AM

5. Grandpa Connery can shake,stir and mix me with anything, any day...Uggh!! There's just something in his eyes! I probably need therapy but...So yeah the protrait...

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 25, 2007 11:57:37 AM

6. I still remember when I was 11 years old, my parents took me to watch this "Time Bandits" movie staring S.C. His character's wardrobe used this red/burgundy tight speedos underneath some warrior skirt, and even back then and young as I was, I couldn't help noticing - every time the right camera angle allowed it - what a really gifted actor he was!

Posted by: C from Miami | Oct 25, 2007 12:25:20 PM

7. Woof! Hot daddy. I love hairy chests. Who knew he was so hot back in the day?

Posted by: Jordan | Oct 25, 2007 12:50:28 PM

8. I'm still bitter I came in fourth that year.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 25, 2007 1:05:58 PM

9. My favourite kilted image is known as "Highland Swing". Do a Google image search for it.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 25, 2007 2:10:46 PM

10. http://www.georgenick.co.uk/Kilts.htm

'Nuff said.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 25, 2007 2:25:25 PM

11. Nicely hung and to the left. I can relate! ;-)

Posted by: wayne | Oct 26, 2007 3:41:03 PM

12. exposed ?? thats crap, everyone knows he was a nude model, he talks about it in practically every interview he does

Posted by: el james | Oct 28, 2007 10:51:35 PM

13. I think he looks so handsome and with very good instrument.

Posted by: RLT | Oct 30, 2007 10:44:25 PM