Gay Slurs | Los Angeles | News | Scott Caan

Actor Scott Caan to Paparazzo: Get a Real Job, You Faggot

Caan

TMZ's photographers caught up with actor Scott Caan as he was leaving the Newsroom Cafe on Robertson Boulevard yesterday.

The pissed off son of James Caan challenged the photographer to a fight before unleashing the F-word:

"You tryin to be nice about it? I saw you shootin me while I was eatin a cheeseburger. Fuckin jack-off. I'll give you a thousand dollars to come fight me, how bout that? $2000. $2500. Ten grand if you'll fight me. Get a real job, you faggot."

The Wrath of Caan Junior [tmz]

You may have missed...
Paul Walker and Scott Caan: Brotherly Love [tr]

Comments

1. Jake,

That was HILARIOUS! Good one. What's even better is I'm an actor and STILL thought it was funny.

Take it in stride fellas. Is it OK to throw around the word faggot? No. But I can't tell you how many times I've crossed paths with an idiot that needed to be called out. Little man Scott fucked up by getting caught on camera basically being a moronic jerk. Screaming "Fight me" and "faggot" just make him look like an ignorant Neanderthal and that should be enough. I mean, it's not like he said it at the Golden Globes or anything. ;)

Posted by: JR | Nov 15, 2007 12:55:06 PM

2. All you queens upset with this should get a real life...not everythig is related to "gay" - faggot is a derogative term used by many black people too... Good for him for using it.... and all you "up in arms" about it... put down the rainbow flag and look up suicide instead. gheesh - waaa waaa...let's be angered at everyone and say the entire world is against gays...get over yourselves

Posted by: pleez | Nov 15, 2007 1:03:54 PM

3. This is what is called a publicity stunt, folks.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 15, 2007 1:04:34 PM

4. Speed of Life was my introduction to this man and like the movie he is very forgettable.

Posted by: DC ARNOLD | Nov 15, 2007 1:11:34 PM

5. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-54879373.html

The Advocate 1998

The mainstream press just can't agree on how to handle stories that may involve closeted gay or lesbian celebrities. Case in point: In the wee hours of September 30, struggling actor Scott Caan, 23-year-old son of movie star James, was arrested along with companion Ross Porterfield for allegedly assaulting James Alleyna and friend Joshua Sher at the Firehouse, a West Hollywood, Calif., gay bar

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 15, 2007 1:14:33 PM

6. I know Scott Caan. He's certainly not a close friend, but we're on a first-name basis. He lives down the street from me, and he's never been anything but nice. He always says hello when we run into each other...always shakes my hand...always looks me in the eye and says 'how are you?'...he's a nice guy...and he isn't a homophobe.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 1:16:37 PM

7. Dear Pleeze,

You're not just a tool, but the entire tool shed. Black people use the term, too? It means something totally different if you're black? In what world? Look up suicide? WTF?

"Good for him for using it... "

Yeah, insulting people with childish, homophobic remarks is something to be proud of and relished. I am sure Dog the Bounty Hunter needs to be reassured his racist remarks are justified and totally valid.

Please shut the fuck up. Oh, and pick up Mr. Caan's lunch for him. I assume only a moron employed by this nobody would step up and defend him.

Posted by: marco | Nov 15, 2007 1:21:26 PM

8. I guess I'm a little confused. Terry McMillian and Isiah Washington were crucified on here for calling someone a faggot. But Scott Caan calls some random guy a faggot and he's getting a pass?

There are posts indicating that they understand that he's upset about being photographed. I understand why he might be pissed, but lest folks be reminded that no was remotely understanding when Terry McMillian (who'd written a friggin book and made a movie about her husband) used the word faggot when she found out her husband was gay. In fact, she was quoted as saying she felt it was the only weapon she had. She got no remorse and people were calling her all sort of names.

So what gives here folks?!

I'm not asking that people have to blow a gasket everytime someone says something bigoted. In fact, I'd rather people not lose control. But, you can keep your composure and still condemn inappropriate behavior.

Hot or not, straight people (at a minimum) should not be going around calling random folks faggots.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 15, 2007 1:31:08 PM

9. Great point Brandon.

But, the straight thing is in question since he was arested sep 1998 with male companion at The Firehouse a west hollywood gay bar for fighting with 2 other male patrons, supposedly over 1 of them dancing with his closeted boyfriend.

scroll up for links

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 15, 2007 1:37:10 PM

10. I don't have a problem with it. Of course, I'm an adult and I grew up with "Sticks and Stones may break my bones but Words will never hurt me" (unless I allow them to hurt me!)

I'm gay and I use it too on occasion. But for me, and possibly Scott too, it's more for shock-value than a statement on someone's sexuality. Insecure straight men are far more tormented when they feel their sexuality is in question than a gay man would be, especially when the question has merit. Just ask any republican.

The thing that I find interesting is that when Michael Richards had his little rant, everyone discussed it for several weeks but you didn't hear people saying "Michael Richards said 'Nigger'" over and over and over. They use the pc-term 'The N-Word' (no relation to the Showtime series). But on this comments page the word "faggot" has been repeated time and time again, all the while being villified as such an offensive word.

It certainly can't be THAT offensive or we wouldn't feel the need to keep using it, eh? Even if we're trying to make a point.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Nov 15, 2007 2:03:00 PM

11. I think there's some confusion about use of the word "faggot" and hatred of gay people.

There are some straight (and gay) people (such as my mother) who use the word because they legitimately believe that it is just a derogatory word for a man and that is has nothing to do with gayness when it is not directed at a gay person.

As I have to remind them (and my mother) is that the word is not only derogatory as an insult to gay men but, when you yell it out at a straight man, it's just as bad because it's saying that being gay is the worst thing in the world for a man.

I don't care if the person feels that they love and accept gay people, using that word suggests that gay is some kind of "horrible" thing to be called and that is not acceptance.

Now count the number of times I used the word "derogatory" in this comment and take a sip from a strong drink for each...

p.s. for a cashier at a 7-Eleven, Scott Caan is hot, but for an actor in Hollywood, he's not that hot. We ALL could do better.

Posted by: junior | Nov 15, 2007 2:03:21 PM

12. Sorry, JIMMYBOYO, cnn.com reports that the fight for which Scott was arrested was over a woman: http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/News/9810/01/showbuzz/

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 2:06:40 PM

13. Actually, Peterparker, the CNN story was based on a false early Reuters report. Page Six later said that it was indeed a boyfriend and that Caan had outed himself by getting in that fight.

Posted by: Chicagogo | Nov 15, 2007 2:19:11 PM

14. It's quite clear to me that the only thing that matters in the usage of this word is who used it.

Posted by: Gabe | Nov 15, 2007 2:21:02 PM

15. Mike in San Jose, unfortunately, "F-word" and "F-bomb" are already taken.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 15, 2007 2:22:20 PM

16. Junior-- A non-Latina coworker called someone a "maricon" in front of me. I asked her if she knew what the word meant and that it was offensive (especially to me). She didn't know what it translated to, but she said she was told "it was the worst thing you can call a man."

I explained it meant "faggot" and did she see why, in a culture steeped in machismo, it would be "the worst thing you can call a man"? She was horrified and as far as I can tell stopped using the word.

Junior's mother is the same way: faggot is insulting to non-gay men because it questions their "manliness" with the implicit idea that GAY=BAD. Good for you Junior for calling her on it.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 15, 2007 2:24:15 PM

17. CHICAGOGO...you trust Page Six over CNN?! (By the way, do you have a link to that info that Reuters initially got the story wrong?)

Besides, as I've said in previous posts in this thread, I know Scott Caan a bit. He might be the biggest pussy hound I've ever encountered in my entire life.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 2:28:27 PM

18. Sheesh - I must be the most self-loathing faggot on the planet because I use that word at least once a day. But I love me, so, now I'm all confusticated.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Nov 15, 2007 2:31:16 PM

19. Peterparker: Here's the link you requested: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1589/is_1998_Nov_10/ai_54879373

And on matters of closeted gays, yes, I certainly do trust Page Six over CNN, especially in the context of the time of the piece (1998) and how the mainstream media helps/ helped closeted celebrities maintain their closets.

Posted by: chicagogo | Nov 15, 2007 2:33:16 PM

20. MikeInSanJose--
    Re: why are we using the word "faggot" here instead of "the f-word" because everyone said "n-word" and not nigger?

1. Most people here are quoting it, using it referentially (see my above post), or are saying it's wrong to call someone a faggot.

2. We're a (primarily) gay male community, so we're using it among ourselves in this discussion. I'd be my house that on African-American message boards they wrote "nigger" and not "n-word."

3. "Nigger" has a long history (dating back to slavery) of very public negative connotations. They are stronger than the negative connotations of "faggot." Many people who won't use either word would say "he called him a faggot" but not "he called him a nigger." The black civil rights movement fought for years to get rid of the word. The GLBT movement is nascent in its battle against the use of "faggot" and "that's so gay" as common putdowns, and frankly. We're working on it. The modern trend among some younger black males to "reclaim" nigger as a term of affection is abhorrent to many older blacks.

Personally, I believe context is key. Context includes ACTUAL intent (not merely stated intent -- "I didn't mean to offend" is BS). It also includes audience and circumstances. In Caan's case, he was angry and it flowed too quickly -- he has no problems using it because he didn't think twice. In the case of a group of gay men over drinks and someone comes bounding up and says "I'm buying a round. What are you faggots drinking?" it's likely tolerable.

Double-standard? Hell yeah. Annoying? Sure. Am I okay with it? For the most part, yes, I am.

Such is the mystery that is TJC. :-)

Posted by: tjc | Nov 15, 2007 2:40:37 PM

21. Gabe:
    You're right, but I add, who it's being used against. Calling a gay man a faggot is meant as an insult and contains hatred for gay men. I'm not so sure that the gay conotation is there when straight guys insult each other with that word.

Years ago, after the Redskins beat the Eagles, Doug Williams smurked, "yeah, they thought we were a bunch of faggots..." Now, that statement really hurt me 'cause I was a big Doug Williams fan. As far as I know, no gay organizations called him on the incident. As time went on, I realized that when Williams used the word "faggots" he didn't have homosexual or gay or drag queen on his mind. Sissy? Maybe? But when staight guys are insulting each other, does the word faggot always mean homosexual or gay, or even gay-acting? I'm not sure...certainly, not as sure as some of y'all this afternoon.

But as I said a year ago (and it got me into trouble on both racial sides), a STRAIGHT bigot calling a GAY man a faggot is the same as a white bigot calling a black man a nigger. I'll never forget that famous Isaiah morning, and all the volatile shit that came after. Oooops, I hope I didn't start it all again.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Nov 15, 2007 2:42:12 PM

22. CHICAGOGO...it seems the major media outlets reported that the fight was over the fact that a guy danced with Scott Caan's female date...and the gay press (and that bastion of journalism, Page Six) reported that the woman was actually a man. I wasn't there, so I don't know which side to believe. But I do know that CNN doesn't know Scott Caan. Page Six doesn't know Scott Caan. But I do know Scott Caan. He isn't a friend, but an acquaintance. He hangs with a group of guys who are total fratboys. They remind me of the main characters on 'Entourage'. Scott always has some girl hanging on his arm. Recently, I hear through a mutual friend that he has settled down with one girl. Scott is always been nice and friendly to this faggot. And as much as I wish he were gay, he strikes me as incredibly straight.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 2:47:14 PM

23. LOL! I shudder to think of the response had the subject of one of today's previous posts used this word. I'll just say it would probably have A LOT more than 17 responses. ;)

Posted by: Nick | Nov 15, 2007 2:47:17 PM

24. Well, you gotta' a point there, Nick. But would she have been talking about a gay man or just Britney Spears? Big difference there.

Chile, let me get out of here before Chris Crocker arrives.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 15, 2007 2:55:35 PM

25. Chicagogo,

That link takes you to an article by The Advocate which sources Page Six. It seems pretty obvious from the quote in the article that Page Six's Richard Johnson is speculating too when he says, "When he got himself arrested for brawling in a gay bar, he outed himself. Case closed."

You have to take what you read on the internet and in the gossip columns with a grain of salt 90% of the time. This is one of those times.

Posted by: RP | Nov 15, 2007 3:05:08 PM