American Idol | Art and Design | Blake Lewis | Music | News

Blake Lewis' Audio Daydream

Blake_lewis_album_cover

The cover for American Idol runner-up Blake Lewis' new album Audio Daydream has been released. The first single "Break Anotha" broke last week, and while it's got his signature beatbox style in there, I can't say I've been won over. It's definitely something different than your typical idol fare though.

According to Idol, "In line with his unique performances from this past season, Blake will be working with a diversity of producers on the album, including Sam Hollander & Sluggo (Gym Class Heroes, Boys Against Girls), JR Rotem (50 Cent, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Sean Kingston), Ryan Tedder (V. CENTRAL TO THE PROJECT), David Hodges (Evanescence), BT, Sean Hurley (Robin Thicke), and Mike Elizondo (Maroon 5, Eminem)." The new album is out November 27, according to Idol (however, as noted by one of our commenters, Lewis' MySpace page says it's been pushed back to December 4).

This week it was reported that there would be a few changes to the upcoming season of the show including less celebrity mentors (an element I thought was a good addition). And now, the contestants will be allowed to play instruments. Now that should be interesting, if not possibly, quite horrible.

You may have missed...
American Idol Runner-Up Blake Lewis: I'm Not Gay [tr]
Blake Lewis and Chris Richardson, Together Forever [tr]
American Idol's Blake Lewis Loses His Shirt [tr]
Idol's Chris Richardson and Blake Lewis Get Cozy [tr]

Comments

1. This show has definitely peaked... The backlash against AI (remember Sanjayagate?) will grow every season until it's finally taken to pasture.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 8, 2007 9:38:59 AM

2. When I was in the fifth grade, I had a Trapper Keeper with the same exact cover.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 8, 2007 9:42:11 AM

3. Crispy nailed it.

That picture of Blake is so goofy. Is it supposed to be sexy? Thoughtful? It just makes him look stupid.

Posted by: sam | Nov 8, 2007 9:45:22 AM

4. Actually, it looks like he had his picture taken at Sears Portrait Studios.

Posted by: sam | Nov 8, 2007 9:47:37 AM

5. Downgrade...

Has the winner released his/her album yet?

I feel like if you're a loser of American Idol you should be barred from the music industry forever. We could put up signs around studios with the picture of the losing contestant and a big red X over his/her face. It's the only way to emphasize the losing aspect of the show.

Like on Survivor, how once you're voted off they should immediately kill you, since you aren't the Survivor.

...Someone needs to breathe some new life into these repetitive reality shows.

Posted by: David | Nov 8, 2007 9:52:40 AM

6. Blake Lewis looks like...I can't even explain the blank expression. It's as if they snapped his picture at the precise moment he was thinking REALLLLLY hard about...who knows, something, anything? He looks completely down syndrome. His "shadow" profile picture behind the main one is alright, though. And the rest of the cover is alright...a little Michael Jackson Caption Eo to me.

Posted by: Allen | Nov 8, 2007 10:02:41 AM

7. I'll gie the single a shot - I am willing to give a try to hip-hop and beatboxing, at least it's not another attempt to turn a 20-year-old into Barry Manilow or Dionne Warwich -- you KNOW Jordin's gonna bring the Disney Princess cheese.

AI rips off Canadian Idol! Canadian Idol let people audition with instruments and it really re-invigorated the "types". They got more singer-songwriters, rockers, and emo types - all of which are more hot right now than Karaoke-ing to Stevie Wonder. Back in CI season 2, all 4 finalists played instruments in the best finale ever, and the winner is a violinist who fiddles in his hit singles. Go know.

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 8, 2007 10:09:29 AM

8. Is this a parody?

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 8, 2007 10:09:55 AM

9. I still think Chris Richardson should have won

Posted by: Davey | Nov 8, 2007 10:28:12 AM

10. i just want to do him.

Posted by: ken | Nov 8, 2007 10:44:59 AM

11. Yeah, chock full o' Photoshop airbrush-ey weirdness. It looks like the "pictures" of those sad people who all committed suicide when that comet passed through the solar system - the ones in San Diego that put the purple triangle cloths over their dead faces...

creep-tacular!

David

Posted by: David B. | Nov 8, 2007 10:47:00 AM

12. Remember when that fake picture of Blake shirtless hit the Internet earlier this year? Yeah, even that would have better than this cover.

Posted by: the other jeff | Nov 8, 2007 10:48:33 AM

13. Ah.. I actually liked the song, but I was a big fan of Blake.

And Andy.. the album comes out 12/04 according to his MySpace (it was pushed back)

Posted by: gabriel | Nov 8, 2007 10:50:15 AM

14. it's an awful pic and what's with the c. everett koop look?

Posted by: ken | Nov 8, 2007 10:52:51 AM

15. The cover looks like the designer was screaming "Hey, look what I can do in photoshop!". It's just too much.

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 8, 2007 11:02:50 AM

16. is he daydreaming Ice Capades ??

Posted by: A.J | Nov 8, 2007 11:07:36 AM

17. Okay, turn you head on more of a slant...This is looking really good.... Kay, hold still right there. Now, just imagine you're weightless, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by tiny little seahorses...

Posted by: mr. butterworths | Nov 8, 2007 11:49:08 AM

18. People don't want Blake, they want Cake!

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 8, 2007 11:56:48 AM

19. American Idol is the pinnacle of mediocrity.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 8, 2007 12:56:11 PM

20. Crispy and Peter Parker pretty much nailed this topic for me.

American Idol has produced nothing but schlock and shit. Sadly, America loves schlock and shit.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 8, 2007 1:00:07 PM

21. I had that Trapper Keeper too! Seriously, I love the cover art. The whole purple/space thing is contemporary Apple. This is better than most ex-Idols get on their first CD. I like the single. Blake was my favorite last season.

Posted by: queendru | Nov 8, 2007 1:39:57 PM

22. I think people are analyzing this cover too much. It's a cd cover. I'm a Blake fan and I have to say its growing on me. Rarely have I been completely satisfied with a musician's choice for their cover. How many people are gonna download the thing anyway,thereby reducing the cover to a 1/2" square. Sheesh.

Posted by: rob | Nov 8, 2007 4:47:38 PM

23. beyotch stole captain EO's look

Posted by: kenji | Nov 8, 2007 5:03:09 PM

24. "His daydream is your nightmare!"

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 8, 2007 5:53:45 PM

25. OMG! The C. Everette Koop comparison...hilarious, and right on the money. Good one, KEN!
    DAVEY-I'm with you-Chris Rich ftw.
    The song is pretty good, though.

Posted by: Den | Nov 8, 2007 6:35:33 PM