News | Phoenix

Two Gay Men Take Lover's Quarrel to Phoenix Freeway

Phoenix

Two gay men who were in an argument at Phoenix's Metro Center Mall risked killing themselves and motorists as they took their fight to the I-17 Freeway at rush hour. One of them had reportedly threatened to commit suicide. They were arrested shortly thereafter.

KPHO reports: "An Arizona Department of Transportation traffic camera caught the men exchanging blows on I-17 between the Peoria and Dunlap exits as one vehicle after another narrowly missed hitting the couple. The Black Canyon Highway is one of Phoenix's busiest interstates...Some drivers got out of their cars and yelled at them. Miraculously, neither man was hit by any of the vehicles, officers said."

KPHO's print report does not mention their relationship, although the video broadcast does.

Freeway

Comments

1. I lived in Phoenix for a brief time and I found the gay men there to be rather lost. I observed gay men in their 20s and 30s going from one bar to another, getting drunk, doing little with their lives. Without going into detail, it just seemed to me that there wasn't much of a gay community there.

Posted by: Hollywood Dave | Nov 14, 2007 11:23:11 AM

2. Speaking of...

I got zero sleep last night, because the police woke me up at 2:30am after ringing the wrong doorbell.

Aparently my neighbor attempted suicide last night.

There was two cop cars, two ambulances, and a fire truck here.

After all the ruckus there was no way I could fall back asleep. I am so tired today now.

Posted by: RP | Nov 14, 2007 11:28:32 AM

3. Oops, meant: "Apparently"

I don't want the grammar Nazis coming after me again.

Haha!

Posted by: RP | Nov 14, 2007 11:32:26 AM

4. Drama queens.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 14, 2007 11:34:01 AM

5. Oh Dave, spare us the blatant generalizations! EVERY major city has gay men who hop from bar to bar. Besides, how would you know unless you were in the bars?

PS: How does your comment have anything remotely to do with this post?

Posted by: crispy | Nov 14, 2007 11:36:28 AM

6. I'm from the Phoenix area and while small by L.A. or New York standards, there is a vibrent gay community there. Loads of activists and supporting goverment officals for the most part. When I attended ASU, the mayor of Tempe(next door to Phoenix) was gay and several state legislators as well as a Congressman were gay.
    This post is notable for one thing, 2 men, who happen to be gay being drama Queen's in the middle of a freeway.

Posted by: Joshua | Nov 14, 2007 11:43:35 AM

7. I love passion. Of course, nobody wants a multi car accident, but how passionate--to chase your lover out into dangerous traffic to stop him from committing suicide. Here on the East Coast, most gay men would probably throw their lover into traffic.

Y'all have passion out West...and Republicans...and too much tequila.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Nov 14, 2007 11:49:18 AM

8. Ugh, how tacky!

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 14, 2007 11:55:46 AM

9. Guess this shows that we have our crazies too.....

I can only pray that there was a pink feather boa involved.... or a cloud of glitter following them around like Linus...only prettier.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Nov 14, 2007 12:05:55 PM

10. Gay men who go from bar to bar getting drunk? How unique! I've never heard of such goings on!

Posted by: sam | Nov 14, 2007 12:44:13 PM

11. Domestic violence isn't funny, and, that's what appears to be what caused this sad, pitiful act. Running on the freeway, these two really need help and, need to leave each other alone.

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 14, 2007 12:44:18 PM

12. And, don't forget, Arizona was the only state so far to vote down the silly, bigoted anti-gay marriage trash, so, they may be a tad backwards in how they fight, but, most seem to have some common sense not to fall lfor the lies of the right wing!

Posted by: mark | Nov 14, 2007 1:03:49 PM

13. The officer said that they were "Exchanging Blow's" on the highway.

Posted by: key | Nov 14, 2007 1:06:46 PM

14. The guy on the right looks mighty sad. I am glad that this didn't turn out where one of them was hurt.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 14, 2007 5:10:21 PM

15. Ok...being from Phoenix - and knowing the area they were in and just the overall scenario, I'll go on record to say those boys have more than a lover's quarrel to worry about now.

And this isn't meant to sound racist or bigoted: With Sheriff Joe running this city - those boys are gonna be on their way back home to Mexico faster than you can say "Adios muchacos." I don't even think they'll even get the famous pink undies as a parting gift.

They might wanted to have thought about that fact before they brought their claws out on the I-17.

Posted by: Darin Scruggs | Nov 14, 2007 7:31:20 PM

16. What great publicity for the gay community. Now the nuts at Focus on the Family are going to portray all of us as acting like that. Nice going, guys!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 14, 2007 10:00:23 PM

17. Im really confussed about gays calling things a gay community. Theres not a community in the gay world.Its just allot of tricky whores going around having sex with no protection.If there was a community there would be places to go and get toghther as a community and do thing as a community, sure we all come toghther when theres a gay pride event, or are we calling going to the clubs a community ?Im so ashame to be gay because of the behavior of the gay guys.

Posted by: Jerry Cress | Nov 16, 2007 9:22:08 AM