Election 2008 | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anonymous Op-Ed: "I Want a Dyke for President"

Dyke

I ran across this today on the social content site Reddit. Don't know who wrote it, but I appreciated the sentiment. You may have noticed the link to Reddit at the bottom of our posts, and we always appreciate when you submit to Reddit or Digg for us.

Update: Andrew over at Queerty tells me this is a 1992 piece by artist Zoe Leonard. Apparently it appeared in this journal. Sadly, a statement with lasting power.

Comments

1. WOW.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 17, 2007 1:46:18 PM

2. BRILLIANT, absolutely BRILLIANT!

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 17, 2007 2:09:43 PM

3. finally, someone got it right! i would love to shake this person's hand.

Posted by: Shaun | Dec 17, 2007 2:09:56 PM

4. Outstanding.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 17, 2007 2:17:31 PM

5. I liked it. Too bad someone with a massive fortune doesn't fit these qualifications since that's what it takes to win elections these days.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 17, 2007 2:23:30 PM

6. Awesome. Its great to read such a compassionate wish letter in these days

Posted by: Felix | Dec 17, 2007 2:23:46 PM

7. The closest would be Kucinich.

Was homeless = family lived out of their car for a time when he was young.

Who by the way is the only candidate to support gay marriage 100%

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 17, 2007 2:28:49 PM

8. finally, somebody said it.

now only if somebody listened...

Posted by: Anon | Dec 17, 2007 2:50:59 PM

9. It sounds like something Allen Ginsberg would have written.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Dec 17, 2007 3:12:11 PM

10. and I want an agnostic for president...

Posted by: no-no | Dec 17, 2007 3:12:36 PM

11. A-fuckin-men!

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Dec 17, 2007 3:46:08 PM

12. Forget agnostic, give me a full fledged atheist. Atheists understand that questions like "Do you believe in evolution?" hold no purpose in public discourse, atheists know that someone who dies in a "holy war" isn't going to heaven, and that there has to be a better reason to send them to die, atheists know that combining church and state weakens them both, and that our law should be guided by compassion not an outdated book.

Posted by: Cully | Dec 17, 2007 4:08:03 PM

13. Umm, I don't see what's great about this? It's a vile and in-poor-taste attempt to seek publicity. TRASH.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 17, 2007 6:25:02 PM

14. What's vile and in poor taste is posting comments like Anon's without using a name... any name. Zoe Leonard's is a powerful statement - neither sophisticated nor graceful but haunting and painfully pointed.

Not to see that is to be a Log Cabin Republican... an anonymous Log Cabin Republican with shiny shoes, pleated pants, thin lips, and chronic constipation.

Posted by: Larry McD | Dec 17, 2007 10:02:33 PM

15. Fucking A!!

Posted by: Chaq | Dec 17, 2007 10:39:51 PM

16. My heart bleeds for the less fortunate people on this planet that this author alludes to, but I've always been of the opinion that a country's leader should represent the best of what that country can produce. Sadly, moneyed citizens tend to emerge educated, healthy, and capable of running a nation.

As an item of feedback for this author: some of the qualities he'd like to see in a president would likely preclude competency on the job, whereas others would really have no bearing on this.

I think I understand and appreciate the sentiment, although it strikes me as misguided and brash.

Posted by: Ambrose | Dec 18, 2007 12:02:52 AM

17. LOVE THIS.. ... quik note.. you know what the tombs are don't you?..

here in Manhattan.. the city jail down on the Lower East Side .. it is called the Tombs..
    matter of fact.. Bernard Kerik's name.(fuck-face) was removed due to the pending scandel
    and corruptions now being revealed ..
    .. OH. AND I MIGHT AD.. IF WE DEMANDED MORE FROM THE PRESS FOR INQUIRING THESE THINGS.. INSTEAD OF BEING SO GODDAMNED WHIPPED.. AND STUFFING
    OUR RENTAL SPACE BETWEEN OUR GODDAMN EARS WITH NEWS OF
    BRITTANY, LOHAN, PARIS, ANNA NICOLE SMITH ETC.. .. WE MIGHT JUST UNCOVER
    SOMEONE WHO'S DONE THE LOT OF WHAT WAS MENTIONED IN THE AD..
    I LOVE IT NONETHELESS!!. ;-)
    Peace,
    Mark

Posted by: Mark | Dec 18, 2007 12:32:50 AM

18. "Sadly, moneyed citizens tend to emerge educated, healthy, and capable of running a nation."

ambrose, you're kidding right?

oh, yes. you're thinking of bush.

Posted by: nic | Dec 18, 2007 12:38:41 AM

19. As someone who is gay, and has read both the Democratic and Republican National "platforms" for lack of a better word, I can say that I am most in agreement for what the "intentions" of the Republican party stands for, lower taxes, smaller government, more personal responsibilties, and defending our country. Rather than the Democrates, who seem to believe that the gov't knows what is best for you, your life, and how to spend your money. I really am getting sick of every one bashing gays who also feel that way. Now, I do not respect our current President. I think he is an imbicial. Nothing more than a talking monkey. I for one do not agree with him taking us into a war and not have a clear and concise strategy for "winning" a war that has obviously turned into a civil war, and keep denying that it is anything other than that. I can agree with just about everything the author of the piece mentioned, and maybe add a bit more. But, as I have wandered down my own little raod here, I will end.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 18, 2007 7:21:55 AM

20. This was written by Zoe Leonard, not Allen Ginsberg, though yeah, I could imagine him writing it. Zoe is an American artist, photographer and queer woman, based in New York City. She wrote this in 1992. This is spot on in my opinion. Who says that people who have suffered in any of these ways, or lived any of these lifestyles are not representative of the best that this country has to offer. Academic education, money and an easy life do not constitute the best, when it comes to compassion, tolerance, sophrosyne nor intelligence. All very important when it comes to leadership, in my opinion.

Posted by: GYPSY SOJOURNER | Nov 6, 2012 9:19:32 PM