Anthony Callea | Australia | I'm Gay | News | Tim Campbell

Australian Actor Tim Campbell: I'm Gay

Campbellcallea

Australian actor Tim Campbell, who formerly starred in the long-running soap opera Home and Away, has come out of the closet following reports that he is dating newly-single Australian Idol contestant Anthony Callea. The two have been spotted together around Melbourne. Campbell denies he and Callea are involved.

Said Campbell to The Advertiser: "(Anthony and I) are mates - he's had his rough trot, I'm going through a rough trot and I'm really concerned for my (ex) partner. Part of me will probably always love him because 11 years is a lot to share with each other."

Callea and Campbell performed together in the musical Rent.

Campbell told The Advertiser he doesn't want the announcement to affect his career: "There's nothing in the way of being ashamed about this (but) the label thing worries me a bit because I don't want my work to be affected. If every time I'm written about now it's as 'the gay actor' it would bore the hell out of me. Coming out at 20 changed me a bit, but at 32, I'm pretty comfortable with who I am and what I'm doing."

Actor Tim Campbell opens up about his sexuality [the advertiser]
Crooner Anthony Callea speaks about being single [herald sun]
(via defamer)

Recently
Will Young and Anthony Callea's New Singles: Themselves [tr]

Comments

1. Funny, this is such non-news that it actually made me laugh. Who really cares? (which is the biggest compliment I can give to someone proclaiming such a stance).

Posted by: Chuck | Dec 12, 2007 12:48:49 PM

2. He didn't need to come out anyway. My gaydar was way off the scales when he was performing on Dancing With the Stars. :p

Posted by: sydneyboi | Dec 12, 2007 2:13:57 PM

3. Good for him. Australians are hot.

Posted by: Oscar | Dec 12, 2007 5:53:27 PM

4. Chuck, do you also believe that T.R. Knight, Neil Patrick Harris and Lance Bass officially coming out constitute "non-news"?

For many people, especially those in Australia, Tim Campbell coming out officially *IS* news. Word is that it was already well-known in the Aussie showbiz community though.

Despite you personally not caring, celebs who do make the decision to come out publicly deserve our support. This is especially important if they have a reputation as "good guys" because they help counter the negative stereotypes promoted every time someone like Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Ted Haggard, or even a stoned George Michael, hits the scandal sheets.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 12, 2007 9:29:40 PM

5. I want to know how the media/industry know when to make someone's sexuality public. I mean do they sit around and work out together what is secret and what is public. It seems to be an unwritten rule that even when someone is clearly gay, if they don't talk about it, the media will ignore that part despite the public (and gay community) sometimes wanting to know. Where did this rule come from? Are these guys sleeping with the journalists?

Posted by: Oztalker | Dec 13, 2007 10:32:32 AM

6. Oztalker, it's probably a respect thing. If you show the media respect and also do not go out of your way to provide juicy gossip (e.g. keep frequenting high profile places just to be the center of attention), they may give you the respect of privacy. I presume all bets are off if you make it a point to be seen a lot in public with your partner or go on record with anti-gay opinions like certain politicians.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 14, 2007 1:49:38 PM