Chicago | Crime

Chicago Man Assaulted and Raped for Alleged Wink and Proposition

A man in Chicago was assaulted at a party and then stalked by his attacker, 43-year-old Felipe Rivera, who waited outside for him and followed him to a basement staircase where he then raped, assaulted, and sodomized the victim with a broomstick, authorities say.

RiveraWhy did he do this? Because the victim winked at him at the party and then, allegedly, propositioned him. The victim denies propositioning his attacker, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The paper reports:

"According to a spokesman for Cicero police, Rivera and the victim encountered each other at a party Friday night in the 1200 block of South 50th Avenue. 'Mr. Rivera got upset apparently because he believed the victim, No. 1, didn't respond to a female and then, No. 2, somehow winked at him -- made what he perceived as a sexual advance," said Cicero police spokesman Dan Proft. Rivera then punched the victim in the face, Proft said, and was asked to leave the party. He allegedly waited outside for the victim. According to Rivera, the victim, 37, then propositioned Rivera for a sex act -- a claim the victim denies, Proft said. Rivera followed the victim to the outer staircase of a basement apartment, where he removed the victim's pants and raped him, authorities said. Afterward, Rivera punched the victim in the head, leaving him semi-conscious, then inserted a metal broom handle in the victim's rectum, sources said. Rivera gave police these details in a videotaped statement, according to Proft. When asked why he did it, Rivera allegedly said it was 'because he hates f - - - - - s, and this is what they get,' according to Proft. A spokesman for the state's attorney said Rivera also shouted 'sexually oriented derogatory comments' during the rape."

Rivera reportedly fled to his mother's home. Mom turned him in, as she has an order of protection against him.

Rivera has been charged with a hate crime as well as aggravated criminal sexual assault and other offenses and could face 30 years in prison. He's being held on $400,000 bond.

Alleged gay advance cited in rape [chicago sun times]

Comments

1. Shebaka, You just do not get it. It has nothing to do with being PC. You are the commenter that labelled rape a "retarded act" and called a homophobic criminal a "retard". Those were and remain nothing less than bigoted and imbecilic statements. Despite your latter day defenders with their ex post facto rationalizations that were never considered by you when originally making your idiotic statements which revealed inherent bigotry, your pathetic attempt to shift the discussion and the blame/shame is unavailing. It is beyond peradventure that your statements were epithets intended to be used offensively and show bigotry against others. You just do not like being called out on them because you obviously realize how stupid they make you appear, your clumbsy quasi-French notwithstanding.

Amanda darling, try as you want to be a grammar vulture, you are incorrect. The Chicago manual of style (among other authorities) directs that the preferred rule is that quotation marks be placed inside the punctuation mark when quoting less than an entire thought (sentence or independant clause). Accordingly, the quotation marks are placed outside the punctuation mark when the punctuation mark is part of the quoted statement.

It is only because this is a subtle difference that actually entails thought and precision, and, therefore, is no longer taught in American schools that the default rule has become: to place punctuation within the terminal quotation mark. This rule-to-the-lowest-common-denominator is yet another example of the "dumbing down" of culture, including grammar.

Just because you are lazy--and have others who join you in sloth--e.g., "The Washington Post;" but cf., "The Financial Times"--does not mean that the old and preferred rule does not continue to apply for those who were properly taught.

Your childish attempts at namecalling--having nothing to do with the discussion--are, as always, the last resort of the cowardly and the dumb. Quite a combo Mandy!

Posted by: rudy | Dec 30, 2007 12:20:13 PM

2. Hmmm, let's see here. No need for the cap. "Y" after Chewbacca. Should be "who" after commenter. I'm not even going to comment on "clumbsy." Uh, where's the capital "M" for manual and ditto for style? Etc.

p.s. Nothing of any style ever came outta Chicago you "broomstick up your ass retard".

Posted by: amanda | Dec 30, 2007 4:56:14 PM

3. Ugh...RUDY,you do NOT want to get me started on calling you out in French! Quasi? You're funny! I get it,boo. Trust me, I do. I get the fact that you're so paranoid that you thing everyone is out to get you and those whom you think you represent. And what do you know about bigotry, you sanctimonious freak, you?! Keep molesting those mentally challenged kids,you RETARD!!
    A bon entendeur, imbécile!

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 31, 2007 2:06:05 AM

4. Idiots! Keep trying to post a coherent comment. You do nothing more than continue to prove my earliest statements that you are imbecilic bigots. Bilingually arrogant and stupid. Sad little creatures.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 31, 2007 7:38:21 AM

5. and there's nothing more boorish than an armchair dilettante who gets all of his info. from wikipedia and attempts to pass it off as an original thought. manastee.

Posted by: amanda | Jan 1, 2008 12:35:09 AM

6. Thankfully Mandy you have self-identified as not only a dunce but one who relies on the collective information of a confederacy of same. Since you are uneducated, you should at least be humble. Arrogance and stupidity is not a winning combination, as you have shown.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 1, 2008 9:37:45 AM

7. Rudy, from what i have taken, you did mean well in pointing out the harshness of the word. but you showed no constraint on your part you did not need to keep coming back. it might upset you but you put way to much effort. So pretty much you didn't help your case. Fyi the only reason he responded in a negative act is because you took the offensive and actually attacked him with,'I hope you do not act out in a similar manner. Your offense is greater than your confusion about "these laws'. I would like to assume you did not mean to attack him but you did lay the kindling.

Posted by: Vesper | Jan 2, 2008 6:56:22 AM

8. I pointed out that Shebaka used a bigoted epithet and compounded the offense by labelling rape a "retarded act". Then the dunce chorus showed up and started name calling and trying to shift the discussion to unrelated grammatical "in-corrections". I maintain that Shabaka's offense in using a bigoted epithet and likening a criminal act to being retarded is greater than his stated "confusion" about "these laws". If he does not want his obvious bigotry and offensively phrased comments to be commented upon, then he should think before he writes. As they stand, their comments (Shabaka, et al.) show that arrogance and stupidity is bad combination, even on a blog, but especially on one "with homosexual tendencies". I expect better and will continue to comment when I do not find it.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 2, 2008 7:57:04 AM

9. All right, then, we won't call Rivera or his act "retarded". We will call it the act of a mentally and morally challenged, saditically evil piece o' shit. Everybody all right with that?

Amanda and Rudy, I think you're both correct about where to place punctuation marks when using quotation marks, but this hea' joint aint no English class, y'all.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 11:19:54 AM

10. Derrick, that was my point all along. Unfortunately, it appears that some have difficulty with reading comprehension and quickly turn to personal attacks to try to shift the focus from their imbecilic and bigoted comments. Talk to Mandy about using an unrelated discussion of punctuation to shift focus away from the demonstrably bigoted remarks of another commenter. She also could not leave it at that rhetorical dodge but also resorted to sophomoric name calling, against an entire city, no less.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 2, 2008 11:35:21 AM

11. RUDY, darling...YOU're the one who started ranting and name-calling. The following are our respective posts:

RUDY...Violent rape is DEFINITELY a retarded act, regardless of what the victim did or didn't do. How you fail to see this makes one wonder! And why would you think I would "act in a similar manner"? Where is this coming from?

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 28, 2007 11:40:50 AM

Shabaka, You are an idiot, a bigot, and reading comprehension is obviously yet another skill you do not possess. Rape is a heinous act; it is a criminal act; it is the ultimate violation of another person; however, it is not a "retarded act".

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 11:57:31 AM

I asked you where in heaven you think I'd want to "act in a similar manner" and what did you do? Cussed me out! My rage was a direct reaction to your discourteous, abusive and un-called for idiocy! Oh and by the way, up until 2006,Princeton University was still defining IDIOCY as "extreme mental RETARDATION"! So, your not so convincing point was taken long ago, and for the sake of not sounding like a bigot, I retracted my calling the rapist a "retard" but no, you had to go on and on and not only insult me but also question my bilingualism (or in my case, my multilingualism)! Which was and still is as laughable as your paranoia. Talk about mannerism!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jan 2, 2008 2:04:16 PM

12. Shebaka, your postings continue to be the irrational prattlings of someone justifiably called out for making demonstrably bigoted and imbecilic comments. According to you, a homophobe who acted out in a criminal manner by physically and emotionally violating another man is a "retard" and his act is "DEFINITLY a retarded act" (capitalization yours). Those comments are simply stupid and bigoted.

I pointed out that Rivera acted out while making similarly stupid and bigoted comments to show you how idiotic your comments appeared in the context of a news article reporting a horrific criminal act. Again, reading comprehension continues to be a skill that eludes you. You responded by using the taunt of paranoia in an inappropriate way. How your "crazy weekend" in Montreal or use of childish French is in any way relevant is not apparent to anyone but you in your delusional state.

Anyone who reads this thread can easily adjudge your rantings for what they so obviously are: the sputterings of an inarticulate bigot that is pouting because I dared to point out that truth. Pathetic that you are not man enough to realize and admit your mistake (if that is what it was rather than the actual reflection of bigotry against retarded people).

Posted by: rudy | Jan 2, 2008 2:27:11 PM

13. Oh just go away RUDY! I don't know if you noticed but if anyone is using imbecilic and abusive comments, again it's YOU!

I happen to enjoy weekend getaways to Montréal(and I fail to see the relevancy of this to the topic at hand anyways.I mentioned Montréal in the same manner someone would mention walking in from fresh air outside, the exact location shouldn't be a concern of yours).If that makes me "childish" and my french somehow questionnable, then so be it, espèce d'andouille!!

You fucktard!! I "manned" up and DID retract my comments. After retracting the comments I made, you not only continued personally attacking me but couldn't find anything else to abusively point to and decided to ridiculously and excessively insist that my comprehension skills are weak and what not! Guess who made a foul of themselves and quite frankly, the weaker one? Again, none other than le crétin que tu es!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jan 2, 2008 3:59:32 PM

14. Rudy,

when I looked up the words "retarded" "idiot" and "imbecile" they all have almost identical defintions. You've called SHABAKA an imbecile and an idiot a few times in this thread before he retaliated.

This reminds me of a thread almost a year ago where Leland Francis and I were arguing. Leland called my thinking "retarded". I told him he was being bigoted toward the mentally disabled & politically incorrect by using that term as an insult. Leland (and very astute visitor to the blog named Laura) patiently wrote in to explain to me that you can use the term "retarded" to mean "slow, backwards"--that Leland's use of the term had nothing to do with a "mental/learning disability"

Do we even use "retard" (as a noun) to refer to learning disabled folks who've done no harm? No, "retard" appears to be a term used by younger folks to express their opinion of someone they regard as stupid or insane. Nowadays, it doesn't have anything to do with the old term "mentally retarded".

Rudy, we know that only a retard would refer to those with learning disabilities as "retards".

SHABAKA wasn't talking about innocent human beings living with/overcoming learning disabilities, he was talking about a mentally disturbed, violent rapist. We all knew that.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 5:05:28 PM

15. Derrick, please re-read your post. That is exactly the point. "Retard" has become an epithet used by casual bigots in the same way that "fag" has become an epithet used by casual homophobes. That people use them without thinking about their effect as bigoted insults (i.e., epithets) is precisely why I decried Shabaka's idiotic statements. That people have become careless does not rob the words of their meaning or power to insult. There is simply no defense for calling a violent homophobe who raped another man a "retard" or labelling his act as "DEFINITELY a retarded act" (non-standard capitalization his). I called him out on his casual bigotry and would do so again. Shebaka introduced extraneous insults and personal attacks rather than admitting his mistake(s) if indeed he ever came to view them as such. He issued a non-retractive retraction in the manner of the by now ubiquitous non-apologetic "apologies". He decided to "retract" use of the term 'retard' "[S]ince our PC-correct world does not allow... ." That is simply pathetic. He continues to dodge and spin his own statements. He should be man enough to admit he made stupid and bigoted statements. They are and he did not.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 2, 2008 5:41:21 PM

16. Jesus some of you seriously need to get a life...

What a pathetic thread on this 2nd day of the new year...

Posted by: Derek | Jan 2, 2008 7:04:14 PM