Mike Huckabee Stands By 1992 AIDS Quarantine Remarks

Comments made in 1992 by GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee from an Associated Press survey during his candidacy for the U.S. Senate regarding people with HIV surfaced over the weekend. Huckabee advocated quarantining people with HIV and AIDS:

HuckabeeSaid Huckabee in the survey: “If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague…It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents.”

Huckabee also said that AIDS research received a disproportional amount of federal funding compared to that allotted for cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Added Huckabee: “In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified. An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor (,) Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research.”

On FOX News Sunday, Huckabee was asked about the remarks.

Said Huckabee: “Chris, I didn’t say that we should quarantine. I said it was the first time in public health protocols that when we had an infectious disease and we didn’t really know just how extensive and how dramatic it could be and the impact of it, that we didn’t isolate the carrier.”

Quarantine is, in fact, defined as a “strict isolation” intended to prevent the spread of disease.

In any case, Huckabee stands by his 1992 comments, according to his interview with FOX. (transcript)

Think Progress reports: “As Fox’s Chris Wallace noted this morning, ‘seven years before’ Huckabee ‘made’ his statement, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) ‘said that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact.’ At the time of his comments, the CDC had recently reported that there were almost 200,000 AIDS patients in the United States, and 126,159 people had already died from the syndrome.”

Last week, in an interview with GQ Huckabee stated that gay marriage would mean the end of civilization.

Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients [ap]

You may have missed…
Mike Huckabee: God and Prayer Responsible for His Recent “Surge” [tr]
Huckabee to GQ: Gay Marriage Will End Civilization [tr]

Comments

1. justincredible says

AIDS research gets disproportional funding how? Because there’s a higher number of gays he thinks for that disease? It’s not the first time that quarantine didn’t happen, either. People didn’t know what to do with the black plague in many places, even though quarantine sometimes happened.

2. Ben says

This guy gets presented as some folksy, down-home uncle who is non-threatening and God fearing. Learning more about him, it is difficult to not think the package hides a less desirable product.

3. Jake says

Is it just me, or have republicans gotten more and more INSANE in the last decade or so? Isn’t there anyone in their own party who thinks this douchebag should be allowed to spew this madness to the country.

And what would this so called quanantine entail? Do all the poz people get to live in some secret town in the middle of nowhere? This is the kind of stuff Hitler started out saying.

4. Wayne says

The most frightening part of this story is that he’s now leading in Iowa and he’s number 2 in the National polls! I don’t care who you vote for, but get out and make sure this lunatic doesn’t get elected!

5. yoshi says

“Is it just me, or have republicans gotten more and more INSANE in the last decade or so?”

This is true of -both- parties. I am glad I live in a state which has independent candidates running for office that are competitive.

6. says

Fear not as Huckabee is one of those candidates who will self destruct in the days ahead. In addition to his idiotic statements regarding an AIDS quarantine and gay marriage, he also claims he speaks to God. He’s already finished, the sound bites just need to play a few more days beyond the Oprah / Obama headlines.

7. Jonathon says

Yoshi, the Democrats have their problems, but they have never and will never stoop to the levels of the Republicans. Let’s face it, the GOP is full of hatred and bias. They fight tooth and nail to preserve discrimination and encourage hatred as a matter of policy. Their base responds well to hate, and so the GOP wields it like a club and beats the hell out of us all with it.

The problem with the Democratic Party is that they are oftentimes scared of their own shadow and wont’ stand up for their core values. There should be more spine in the party, given how low the approval ratings are for Dubya and for the GOP in general, but they are so scared that Rush Limbaugh will criticize them that they cave to almost any insane proposal that the president or the GOP want.

Let us be clear: Huckabee meant what he said then and means it now. Don’t think for a minute that he was kidding or just talking our of his mind. Men like him dream of concentration camps, hard labor, terrorization and a “final solution” for people with HIV, gay people of any serostatus and anyone who stand up for gay rights. It can happen here.

8. Zeke says

How long before the Ron Paul defenders and the Rudy defenders from the other threads show up to explain to us that Huckabee’s statement was ACTUALLY gay supportive and that he is a warm and cuddly loving person who means us no harm?

9. says

Huckabee has to gang up on the LGBT community to show us what real man he is. If he has to pick on a group of American citizens why doesn’t he pick a group that has the same rights, benefits & protections as he has?

10. says

Hi every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a large caster. 4 months I must be an HIV. I never think that I live it again and I am very grateful to this great man named High Priest Dr.otonu HIV AIDS who cured my last 4 weeks. I was in great pain so I told one of my best friend; she told me it’s not a big caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had her email, she gave me her email and sent by email. He spoke to me and make the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks you should go for a test and I did, when the doctor told me that I am now HIV negative, I could not believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on the planet earth again, so I emailed and thanked him. Please, if you are having a similar problem please visit / contact him email (otonuspelltemple@gmail.com) or (otonuspelltemple@yahoo.com) or by calling (+2348169616855)