Magazines | News | Relationships

BigGayDeal.com

Genre Fakes Cover Story to "Sell" Idea of Relationship Longevity

Over at Queerty they've uncovered the fact that one of the men featured as part of a monogamous couple on their current cover is actually heterosexual Playgirl model Julian Fantechi. Inside the magazine, they're presented as a real life couple, an example of monogamy. According to the reader that tipped off Queerty, "Inside the magazine, they are stripped down, appear to be into each other, and are allegedly, discussing their physical relationship, emotional, sexual and spiritual relationship."

Genre_2Editor Neal Boulton told Queerty: "The idea was to use these hot boys to sell a bigger idea that I feel is very possible—longevity in relationships… The cover article I use these boys to sell tips for guys who may want to experience the same." However, that's not the explanation that I was given a few weeks ago, which you can read below.

In mid-November, publisher William Kapfer forwarded the cover to me as publications sometimes do, in case there might be something of interest to feature to Towleroad readers. While I found nothing newsworthy about the cover at the time, unfortunately these latest revelations from Queerty compel me to share Boulton's statement offered to me about the cover.

According to Kapfer, who may or may not have known about the cover set-up, Boulton's statement to Towleroad regarding it was this:

"Everyone wants—someone. But when you get them, how do you keep it going. Genre's new service journalism and -how to- editorial direction made it easy for us to provide our readers with the **50 top ways to stay together forever.** This is not your typical list. We delve into the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects that if addressed can actually enhance the way people relate to each other. We acknowledge that not every is monogamous, but some are—and we even address how to manage life in either scenario. On the cover this month, Genre bravely put forth a reality couple, and not the typical models who hold perfection over our heads. Our message is simple. Reach for forever. Genre can help you get there."

Hopefully, if Genre decides to "bravely put forth a reality couple" again, they won't be selling a false bill of goods.

No Truth In ‘Genre’ Cover [queerty]

(note: as a matter of disclosure, I'm a former editor of Genre, and as a side note, when we did our "relationships" issue there was no shortage of hot, interesting real-life couples dying to tell their stories to the magazine - Feb '03)

Comments

1. I think most gay guys in relationships are like all guys, as exemplified by the way Jerry Seinfeld described the difference between men and women watching television: Women want to know what's on TV; men want to know what else is on TV.

Posted by: rascal | Dec 11, 2007 1:15:32 PM

2. Not surprised in the least. Another, now-defunct mag (either HERO or Instinct) did the same thing about 5-7 years ago with some hottie named Nathan from MGM. By the time the mag came out on newstands, his relationship was over.

Posted by: Dr. Theopolis | Dec 11, 2007 1:20:24 PM

3. Ok, perhaps I'm picking nits here--but the original statement said a 'reality couple.' I think the editor meant it to a be different term from a 'real' couple. A 'reality couple' would be like James Getzlaff and Whoever-it-was, or the Bachelor and his pick. I.E. an artificially created couple that people are supposed to accept as legitimate and get emotionally invested in for the sake of the vehicle presenting them.

Posted by: gayjaybird | Dec 11, 2007 1:26:25 PM

4. What next Betty Crocker not real, lol

Posted by: Richie | Dec 11, 2007 1:30:29 PM

5. GAYJAYBIRD, are you James Getzlaff? Thanks for reminding us that he exists.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 11, 2007 1:48:15 PM

6. A bit off topic, but in Germany a new gay magazine was launched two months ago called "Front." Simply an excellent magazine with really interesting articles, not to mention the usual stuff, fashion, fashion pictorial. Reading it and then having to read what Americans are offered, Advocate and Out and probably the closest comparisons, I really wonder what is it with American gay media in such a large and rich country. It really sucks. Really pathetic.

Posted by: Will | Dec 11, 2007 2:00:37 PM

7. I guess Richard and I were not part of their demographic. Two forty-somethings in a solid, loving relationship that doesn't worship consumerism just doesn't have a seat at the table in Genre's eyes.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 11, 2007 2:01:35 PM

8. No, I'm not, but I didn't think Lance and Reichen quite qualified for the point I was trying to make.

Posted by: gayjaybird | Dec 11, 2007 2:03:14 PM

9. God I hate that word "hot". Why do we continue to define ourselves based on how big our biceps are, or how well we dress? Maybe gay really is the new straight (in case you don't get the reference: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-rodriguez5nov05,0,6813671.column).

Posted by: Chris | Dec 11, 2007 2:06:04 PM

10. I think our obsession with body image is a huge factor in gay men, or heterosexual men, in satisfying long term relationships. As all men become more body-conscious, and as advertisers become more shameless about objectifying the male physique, men are acquiring problems formerly associated with women: eating disorders, body obsessions, low physical self-esteem. What we see on TV and in magazines eventually become our standard of reality and desire; failing to meet it is perceived as deficiency. Characteristics like sweat and hair can be controlled on screen but never escaped in reality, so some men come to see these essential parts of their body as they might a rounded belly or un-firm bicep: as a gross, unfortunate flaw. As we get older, regardless of your exercise regime, the body changes. If all of a sudden you're in an intimate situation and these aspects of your body are exposed, you have to deal with the fact that your body doesn't meet the ideal. You're concerned with how your partner is evaluating you. When ashamed, men detach emotionally and mentally from sexual situations—they aren't attentive to their partner's needs or open with their own.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 11, 2007 2:12:14 PM

11. I happen to like Genre, and think those guys are extremely hot. I'd have a 3-way with them in a heartbeat. Who cares if they are gay or not? Like many of you haven't had sex with 'straight' guys before. I know I have.

As for staying together or a LTR, I wouldn't know. Never had one.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 11, 2007 2:15:05 PM

12. Story of a fat man:

"As we get older, regardless of your exercise regime, the body changes. If all of a sudden you're in an intimate situation and these aspects of your body are exposed, you have to deal with the fact that your body doesn't meet the ideal. You're concerned with how your partner is evaluating you. When ashamed, men detach emotionally and mentally from sexual situations—they aren't attentive to their partner's needs or open with their own."

Who wants to look at fat men on a cover? I wouldn't spend my money? I can roll over in bed and see that. This magazine and others like it, are just giving us what we want and are willing to pay for. Get over it.

Posted by: AnalWarts | Dec 11, 2007 2:37:04 PM

13. Anal Warts? Yuk. Give me some bacterial wipes.

Posted by: PeterP | Dec 11, 2007 2:39:00 PM

14. Genital warts (or Condyloma, Condylomata acuminata, or venereal warts) is a highly contagious sexually transmitted infection caused by some sub-types of human papillomavirus (HPV). I got them on my tounge - this is not a subject to take lightly.

It is spread through direct skin-to-skin contact during oral, genital, or anal sex with an infected partner. Genital warts are the most easily recognized sign of genital HPV infection.

Genital warts often occur in clusters and can be very tiny or can spread into large masses in the genital or penis area.

They are approximately as prevalent in straight men as gay men, but the symptoms may be less obvious in straight men, as they have stronger bowel movements and camouflage the little warts. When present, they usually are seen on the tip of the penis. They also may be found on the shaft of the penis, on the scrotum, or around the anus. Rarely, genital warts also can develop in the mouth or throat of a person who has had oral sex with an infected person - like I had. So stop using that name on your posts, Anal Warts. Not funny. I had a friend with an Anal Wart in his nostril.

Posted by: DrCleanMe | Dec 11, 2007 2:45:16 PM

15. I would have had more respect for the editors if they simply said "we wanted hot guys on the cover and these are the guys that the agency sent over."

We're making a statement here. Let's not underline the statement, let's just make it.

Posted by: junior | Dec 11, 2007 2:49:23 PM

16. I tried out of that cover - but they were not using models - just people they knew. I thought it was random that the guy who was kissing a girl on "Ugly Betty" was chosen to be on the cover. I was on the show as an extra the same time he was. He is a real ham.

Posted by: ModelsNYC | Dec 11, 2007 3:35:42 PM

17. Model - did you mean you tried out "for" the cover? No matter you are a model - and not a good one obviously, at that. Maybe you should try out for the cover of Next Magazine.

Posted by: JackButt | Dec 11, 2007 4:16:16 PM

18. Models are over-rated. I dated one and he had shit stripes in his Calvin Kleins. I think models are bubbled headed beach blondes. They only care about themselves and masturbate to their own images in the mirror and squirt their jizz in their own faces - I saw a movie once. And one time a guy peed on another guy. It was so sick. There are germs in urin - I read about it in a Vogue. They did a story on urin, although it was women's urin - it all still comes from a bad place and we should not have it in our mouths. If so, we need to rince with rubbing alochol - but not swallow the rubbing alcohol or it can burn your throat. But you can put rubbing alcohol on a dirty ass hole and not have poop strips in your underwear. Or bleach.

Posted by: TammyK | Dec 11, 2007 4:32:14 PM

19. Whoa, whoa, whoa, Doc! Heterosexual men have stronger bowel movements?! What an extraordinary "factoid" to throw into the pool. Please do cite a reference or two.

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Dec 11, 2007 4:33:21 PM

20. Allow me to qualify that request: non-evangelical xtian references (that includes the bibe).

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Dec 11, 2007 4:35:38 PM

21. I was in the '03 issue that had couple featured. I loved that hot latin guy that use to work at Foodbar - he was my favorite. He was hot and looked a great deal like the guy on the left. These are real guys on the covers, not girls. We are looking at the magazine for hot guys, not the editorial content - please.

Posted by: Senior | Dec 11, 2007 4:39:52 PM

22. The bible does not mention bowel movements. That is crazy. The Prodigal Son has been one of the most trusted parables in the Good Book, used extensively in Westerns and war, but not from the perspective of a church background, with a plot tweak that pits former best friends against each other in so dramatic a way. There is no mention of fecal release in any of the psalms.

Jesus recognized this early as the storyline unfolded:] It's about really having the inner fortitude to overcome anything that's in front of you, and doing that with the help of God. It's a faith-based, inspiration-themed film, one we've wanted to do for some time. ... You see the character Boris plays of David, who's raised in the church, goes away, gets into a life of fame, money, women, wealth, drugs and sex. As he journeys back, it's the redemption that he finds, it's the hope that he finds, it's the salvation that he finds.

Posted by: MySavor | Dec 11, 2007 4:44:11 PM

23. DRCLEANME says warts "may be less obvious in straight men, as they have stronger bowel movements and camouflage the little warts".

Bwahahahahahahaha! What kind of an idiot are you?

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 11, 2007 4:49:43 PM

24. This is a site about gays - why are we talking about straight guy's shitting and stuff? This conversation has gone down the toilet.

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 11, 2007 5:25:00 PM

25. Quel Surprise!

Another gay magazine that can't find a gay person to be on it's cover!

What a waste and a shame...

Why do you think we don't buy them?

Posted by: Br!on | Dec 11, 2007 5:34:48 PM