Harry Connick Jr. | I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | News

Harry Connick Jr.: I'm Probably Gay and Don't Know It

Connick

Harry Connick Jr. jokes that he's probably gay because he's a virtual chick magnet:

"I have so many women in my life, I wouldn't know what to do with a guy. In fact I'm probably gay and I don't even know it! My life is chick power. My manager is a woman, who has been with me since I'm 18, and my wife is a strong and intelligent woman. I have three daughters. My dogs are all females. Even my sister Suzanna... she just got a double medical degree; she's now a psychiatrist and an internal medicine doctor and she speaks about 10 languages. She's so impressive. I'm surrounded by strong, intelligent women."

Well then, silly Harry, of course you're not gay.

Comments

1. It's a completely inane comment - does being surrounded by strong, intelligent women make one gay? And "I have so many women in my life, I wouldn't know what to do with a guy" - what's the connection between the two parts of the sentence here? He doesn't know "what to do with a guy" sexually, socially, or as a family member? Is he unable to make a logical sentence?

But the fact that a prominent(ish) straight guy is referring to homosexuality in a non-negative way is the positive lesson to draw from this indecipherable word salad - better this than the usual condescending scorn ("I like the gays - some of my favourite stylists are gay" etc) or the "scotch those nasty gay rumours" double-speak ("I got nothing against the gays, bro, I'm just not one of them..." which is generally the only way the homos are referred to in interviews etc from hetero notables...

Either way, hardly an edifying comment from the still dreamy HCJr...

Posted by: johnnzboy | Dec 18, 2007 11:32:43 AM

2. I don't know if he's gay, but he may be "passing". Where did he get those big beautiful lips?...unless he's French--you know, like Bridgett Bardot. She had luscious lips.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 18, 2007 11:38:08 AM

3. HCJr: I'm probably an idiot and I don't even know it! I'm surrounded by idiots! I'm an idiot magnet!

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 18, 2007 12:05:07 PM

4. It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool...

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 18, 2007 12:21:24 PM

5. Stick to singing, Harry cos you're making waves on this!

If he is really gay that's ok but if this was just a flippant joke, its not helpful as many ordinary decent queers do actually struggle with their sexual orientation and messing about is so last year.

I don't think he intended this comment to be reported as his coming out speech (I saw this item on the 'breaking news' section of a website in Ireland and it was presented as if Harry came out today. Ooops.

Posted by: SeanR | Dec 18, 2007 12:25:46 PM

6. Do you suppose he waxes his ass or has the girls do it for him?

Posted by: Mary, really late Dowager Queen of the United Kingdom | Dec 18, 2007 12:26:09 PM

7. Perhaps he should try it if he's really concerned that he might be gay...it's really the only way to find out. Call me, Harry...

Of course, he might just be a woman..

Posted by: bryan | Dec 18, 2007 12:34:53 PM

8. would that he were!

Posted by: jake | Dec 18, 2007 12:49:49 PM

9. would that he were!

Posted by: jake | Dec 18, 2007 12:51:05 PM

10. I guess that makes me straight, you know being surrounded by strong (straight) women and all. My two sisters, my five aunties, two grand mothers. I wouldn't know what to do with a guy either...until of course those yummilicious lips of his were pressed against mine! And boom! All of a sudden I know EXACTLY what to do with a guy!

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 18, 2007 12:56:34 PM

11. Oh, come on, guys! Harry is just saying that he doesn't hang with beercan crushing, farting/belching, heterosexual men. He socializes a lot with women (faghags anyone?). Give him a break. This is obviously a quote from a larger dialogue. You should all be somewhat aware that he's fairly gay-friendly. I just wish he was a little more friendly, if y'all know what I mean.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 18, 2007 1:11:50 PM

12. Jesus, his comments weren't offensive AT ALL.

Does anyone care about INTENT nowadays? How can you read THAT FAR into a good-natured statement?!

Posted by: Billy | Dec 18, 2007 1:22:07 PM

13. I'm . . . sorry, was he saying something? I was distracted looking at his eyes and lips.

He could sing me the telephone book and I wouldn't mind.

(Just sing it to me. Only to me, Harry. Only to me.)

Posted by: AG | Dec 18, 2007 1:27:40 PM

14. Damn that's a sexy man. Go Tigers!

Posted by: Himbo with Highlites | Dec 18, 2007 1:45:20 PM

15. There's a few things I haven't told you
    And before you hear them from someone else
    To clear up misconceptions
    I'd rather tell you myself....

Posted by: You Didn't Know Me When | Dec 18, 2007 1:52:54 PM

16. He's undeniably a sexy guy, but honestly, he should just shut up and sing and play the piano.

Posted by: Frank L | Dec 18, 2007 2:00:43 PM

17. Isn't he from Louisiana? He seem's to have that Cajun thing going on.

I just know that he's ok with Gay's and is a great singer. I don't get all sweaty wondering who is and who isn't playing for our side anymore.....lol

Posted by: Joshua | Dec 18, 2007 2:59:04 PM

18. Right on BILLY! Good Lord. Let's not go extremes trying to deconstruct and analyze the intent of every word the poor guy utters. He's not addressing the United Nations for cryin out loud. He's an entertainer (and a cute one at that) who's simply trying to say something positive about the women in his life. God Forbid.

Posted by: JOEJOE | Dec 18, 2007 3:02:31 PM

19. Harry Connick Jr. is a driving force in rebuilding New Orleans. I forgot the commenters on this site love to make a big deal out of nothing. I guess most of you have forgotten about his role on Will and Grace.

Posted by: mikeinbama | Dec 18, 2007 4:31:15 PM

20. It's amazing we've come as far as we have, if we can't even recognize our friends and try to make every straight man an enemy.

I think ya'll are just jealous of those good looks.

good luck with that.

Posted by: rich | Dec 18, 2007 4:57:13 PM

21. Since we're quoting lyrics ...

Come by me, come talk to me baby
    Tell me how we can combine
    Will you be my sunshine forever
    Will you be a friend of mine

Try me out and if you get excited
    Take me home, Id love to be invited
    Once were there, Im sure youll be delighted
    We can rock all night

Wait and see, we might fit together
    That would be my lucky day
    Come by me, come love with me baby
    Maybe we could run away

Posted by: AirBeagle | Dec 18, 2007 4:57:54 PM

22. He spent a decade playing in Bourbon Street bars in New Orleans, so anything could have happened that would trigger a statement like this. No doubt guys hit on him hundreds if not thousands of times.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Dec 18, 2007 5:10:41 PM

23. Listen, he's fine as fuck, with a voice that melts butta, and calm the fuks down, chil'ren! There's nothing insulting about his statements. Perhaps the wording is a bit jumbled, but his intentions are pretty harmless.

Posted by: Banjboi | Dec 18, 2007 5:24:28 PM

24. Might make him their bitch, but you ain't gay if guys ain't in your daydreams and nightmares. Mind, the thought of a five-minute kiss with HCjr makes me go woody, swoon ... I gotta get outta these tight briefs ... later guys ...

Posted by: PG | Dec 18, 2007 8:20:49 PM

25. I don't understand why stories about straight guys making some completely untrue allusions to being gay keep making their way onto this site. It's very easy for straight guys to joke about being gay without having to actually live the consequences. I don't think they deserve a second of our attention until they show some genuine empathy.

Posted by: Jon | Dec 18, 2007 10:08:05 PM