Film | Gus van Sant | Harvey Milk | James Franco | Judd Apatow | News

BigGayDeal.com

James Franco May Be Smokin' in More Ways Than One

This video recently surfaced of a very out-of-it James Franco giving an interview to MTV about his upcoming projects. One of his next projects happens to be the Judd Apatow-produced Pineapple Express (clip here), a flick about two stoners who get their hands on a special kind of pot called Pineapple Express, set for release in summer 2008.

Perhaps Franco's brand of method acting has simply spilled over into his real life. In that case, Franco is set to play Harvey Milk's lover Scott Smith in the film about the gay rights leader which starts shooting in January, and I know more than a few people who might enjoy helping him get into the role.

Comments

1. Am I the only one who feels like I'm being smothered with an endless stream of Judd Apatow comedies?

Posted by: Wes | Dec 11, 2007 2:41:18 PM

2. No way, duuuude.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Dec 11, 2007 2:46:08 PM

3. Eh, he may be high or maybe not.

I know lots of people who act like that all the time. Most of them live in California.

Posted by: stevo | Dec 11, 2007 2:46:45 PM

4. Yep, that's a definite wake-and-bake. LOL! And Stevo...as a former resident of San Diego...um, YEAH DUDE. DUH. hahaha. That's a weed 'n' feed just waiting to happen.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Dec 11, 2007 3:05:46 PM

5. The next time I hear the word "pineapple" in a B-52's song, I'm going to think of this video.

That's just the way my mind works!

Posted by: Marc in Chicago | Dec 11, 2007 3:12:56 PM

6. I love a man with a beautiful smile, and that Franco has one.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 11, 2007 3:17:28 PM

7. Franco is not the problem with this movie. The problem is Sean Penn as Harvey. Sean is a homophobic asshole and his doing this role is an insult to all gays. He is also anti-american and would love the USA to become another Cuba or Venezuela. Such a ridiculous person portraying Harvey is an insult to his memory and what he stood for. I'm old enough to had met Harvey and I'm appaled about this insult to his memory. BUT, since money talks in Hollywood I guess there is nothing anybody can do about this outrage.

Posted by: Oscar | Dec 11, 2007 3:17:56 PM

8. It's not you, it's the E talking.

Goddamn if that boy don't have one very perty mouth.

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Dec 11, 2007 3:19:48 PM

9. When Franco was here in Toronto shooting last year, he was always hitting on guys, openly and aggressively, except when his b/f came to visit and stayed with him at the Windsor Arms.

Posted by: secretagentman | Dec 11, 2007 3:36:14 PM

10. Wow, I can't tell if he's baked or just a really REALLY bad interview subject who's irritated with his interviewer.

Posted by: Arieli | Dec 11, 2007 3:41:46 PM

11. Has anyone considered that Franco, perhaps, did this on purpose? That this is nothing more than an act designed to play up his upcoming role? That's what it seems like to me. The "Yeah... Soderbergh period" seems too contrived to be a genuine "I'm high out of my mind" moment.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 11, 2007 4:01:51 PM

12. Oscar, you're a fucking grouch.

And not the cute kind. You need to quit swallowing the crap Faux News and other crazy non-news sources pump out.

You may be old enough to have met Harvey, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts (mmm...doughnuts) that you've never even been in the same ZIP code as Penn.

Posted by: Rey | Dec 11, 2007 4:20:55 PM

13. "The video is not viewable outside the USA"...Uggh! N e ways...I think Franco is hotness. God that smile!

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 11, 2007 4:37:29 PM

14. Oscar:

a) The Harvey Milk film is not the focus of this article.

b) Milk was a radical agitator. So is Sean Penn. Seems like a good fit to me - plus he's a stellar actor. The fact that I would kinda like to do him has nothing to do with my opinion - lol

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 11, 2007 4:45:04 PM

15. Apitow and Franco reunited. Should be a decent flick. Apitow more or less discovered Franco, who had his first big role (that I know of) on Apitow's Freaks and Geeks... which was seriously one of the best single seasons of TV ever. Sadly, because NBC is stupid, it only lasted one season.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 11, 2007 5:50:33 PM

16. James Franco reminds me of James Dean reincarnated. First he's extremely attractive. Second he's very personable. And third, I think a damn good actor. I really liked his performance in Fly Boys. I'd like to see a lot more of Franco, literally and figuratively. Yes, to me he is smokin!

Posted by: Bob R | Dec 11, 2007 6:11:38 PM

17. OMG!...JORDAN posted something intelligent!...OMG!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 11, 2007 8:15:30 PM

18. Even at his most maundering, James Franco is incapable of not being painfully appealing.

Posted by: JOHN | Dec 12, 2007 1:57:08 AM

19. PETERPARKER.....

sorry to disappoint, but that was a different Jordan....

This one wouldn't post the above post
    (I don't get it)

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 12, 2007 11:54:56 AM

20. and was that a dis?

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 12, 2007 11:56:19 AM

21. JORDAN,

LOL Bless your contortionist, expert Yoga position makin' heart. I love you--even if nobody else on this blog does, I do. LOL.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 12, 2007 12:01:46 PM

22. Jordan (whichever Jordan- the first one) is completely right. It's obvious that he was overacting the "stoner" role just to hype up the new flick, and it was hilarious.

But really, even daily lifelong stoners aren't THAT out of control of their own vocabularies.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 14, 2008 5:54:14 PM