Film | I'm Gay | Jodie Foster | News

Jodie Foster Thanks Her "Beautiful Cydney" in Award Speech

Foster

At the 16th annual Women in Entertainment Breakfast, which I mentioned earlier today referencing Travolta's quippy one-liner, Jodie Foster received the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award, and in her acceptance speech thanked "my beautiful Cydney who sticks with me through all the rotten and the bliss."

While leadership certainly hasn't been her forte in this area, we'll accept it as her coming out.

Comments

1. Geez what "courage" that gurl has.

not!

With all the power she has in Hollywood, imagine how much farther she could help with human rights. Instead, she prefers to be closeted after all the awards (including one Oscar) and respect in the industry.

As far as I'm concerned, she can stay closeted. She BORES!

Posted by: FunMe | Dec 5, 2007 9:10:49 PM

2. Ten years too late.

Posted by: C.M. Harris | Dec 5, 2007 9:27:54 PM

3. Exactly what's rotten in her life? Oh, not telling the truth about yourself will do that to you!

Posted by: Ben | Dec 5, 2007 10:06:00 PM

4. Good for her, and everyone else chill. People come out on their own timelines, and as long as she's not directly voting to take away your rights, let her be in charge of her own process.

Too much self-righteus judging is dull.

Posted by: jno | Dec 5, 2007 10:10:49 PM

5. Frankly, after all the John Hinckley Jr. craziness decades ago, it's no wonder she's so private. I think she should get a free pass on this.

Posted by: Bernie | Dec 5, 2007 10:54:59 PM

6. JNO says, "Too much self-righteous judging is dull."

I say, right on!

Coming out IS a process, and for everyone, that process follows it's own path.

For all of you who came out easily, or and risked and survived, I applaud you. But I don't know that a actor owes anyone any more or less than you or I, not do I believe that being an actor gives anyone bigger balls by virtue of their profession when it comes to their private lives. Politicians? A different story. But a wee bit of empathy for someone who is just trying to do her job, and stands to lose much, might be in order. Heck, actors who become political are routinely reviled. I applaud the brave. But I understand the not -so ones, and forgive them their humanity and vulnerability. I am out to all of my family, my friends, and those with whom I work. But it wasn't always that way, and I remember why.

The hammer whacks down the head that stands above. Some people just don't want to be whacked. Judge a little less. Feel a little more.

Posted by: JT | Dec 5, 2007 11:23:11 PM

7. How can you know what hardship, or not, someone has endured coming out? Anytime is the right time to embrace yourself and the one you love.

Posted by: Louis | Dec 5, 2007 11:39:55 PM

8. Hopefully this will do some good, but considering her recent lack of box office appeal it's sort of a pipsqueak. I suspect this is designed to get the press off her back more than anything else.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 5, 2007 11:53:55 PM

9. Eons late and several zillion dollars short.

"The Brave One" bombed -- so NOW she wants us. Very Classy Jodie.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 6, 2007 1:01:29 AM

10. As far as I am concerned, her life is hers, to be lived the way she wants, in or out of the closet. isn't tolerance what we all want?

Posted by: goldend | Dec 6, 2007 1:27:57 AM

11. I'm not sure about the validity of this story. So far, the LA Daily News is the only one reporting this tidbit.

The AP makes no mention of her thanking "Cydney" in her speech, and I cannot find any other news source saying otherwise.

Posted by: RP | Dec 6, 2007 2:05:17 AM

12. So many people are so judgmental about stars who are closeted, why? Of course they could be good examples and do great work for the gay community - but the fact of the matter is, coming out is a personal experience and a personal choice - and they don't owe us anything. You don't have to officially come out to love yourself - in some aspects being "in the closet" is to many a logical choice for their life, it's not always such a place of hell for gays. The intolerance about this is kind of disturbing considering we are struggling to be fully accepted as people in our society.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 6, 2007 3:16:39 AM

13. As far as I know, Ms. Foster has never outright denied being gay - she's simply lived her life on her own terms. It may be a bit more subtle, but sometimes that's just as powerful.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 6, 2007 6:33:54 AM

14. God, who cares what this woman does? How do we know that Cydney isn't Sidney, her lawyer or poolcleaner or dogwalker? I'd just be happier if she made some movies I'd be interested in sitting through.

Posted by: Roscoe | Dec 6, 2007 7:31:52 AM

15. Good for her. As with all of our personal lives, its no body's business but her own. I agree with JNO. The woman is just trying to live her life on her terms and who are we to tell her otherwise. Isn't that what we all want?

Posted by: MT | Dec 6, 2007 8:18:39 AM

16. It's nobody's business but her own. She does good things. If she were a closeted reactionary right wing politician who legislated against equal rights, I could understand the uproar, but she's not. She's an artist and she doesn't have to fit neatly into the categories society, and the marketplace, create.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Dec 6, 2007 9:04:53 AM

17. As usual on Towleroad, I wonder why anyone would want to come out when this is the kind of response even a slight admission of something elicits.

Posted by: John C | Dec 6, 2007 9:09:13 AM

18. All I expect from Jodie Foster are good movies, and most of hers are.

Posted by: Michael W. | Dec 6, 2007 10:03:25 AM

19. That's fantastic. I'm proud of her!

Posted by: Pugzz | Dec 6, 2007 10:31:00 AM

20. Jesus Christ, guys, she's not a Republican voting down marriage equality! She's a fucking actress. And she DOESN'T lie about being gay. She might not speak about it ad nauseum like Lance Bass, but she's private. We all came out on our own terms and, as long as we weren't being deceptive or had a platform with which to affect policy, we weren't hurting others.

Pick your battles. Get some perspective.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 6, 2007 10:38:55 AM

21. Let me ask a question: is not traditionally coming out a political statement that there should no longer BE a need to come out? We are who we are. We just be.

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 6, 2007 10:50:09 AM

22. i agree with gwyneth. jodie foster avoided all the pitfalls of the child-actor career, had a stellar college career and a brilliant acting career; all the while maintaining decency and decorum in public life. more power to her. i do not begrudge her anything. after all, she is the person she wants to be, not the person some of us might wish her to be.

Posted by: nic | Dec 6, 2007 11:00:46 AM

23. Regardless of what anyone thinks about her timing we should just be happy for her that she is where she is right now.

I have to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this method of "coming out" so much more than the "I'm a gay American" version. Rather than making her orientation the issue she made her RELATIONSHIP the issue. I LOVE THAT! That's the way I come out to people. I never say, "I'm gay", I just talk about my husband and family just like any other person does. Instead of making a production about my orientation it becomes a benign but important matter of fact about my life and what/who's important to me.

In my opinion, living honestly is the best way to come out.

Congrats to Jodie and her partner.

Rumor has it that a certain Queen is on the verge of making a similar announcement.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 6, 2007 11:45:58 AM

24. I think it is disappointing that several posters here think coming out is somehow punitive--a form of penance for past sins. You need to distinguish between outing someone and someone outing themselves. You out hypocrits, liars and defamers. Otherwise, people in the public eye should understand the continuing need for positive reinforcement where coming out will advance the cause of gay rights, including their own.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 6, 2007 12:06:05 PM

25. Brava Ms. Foster.

Of course I would have loved her to come out years earlier, but each in their own time. She has never been "anti" gay, and owes no one her identity. It would be great if everyone could come out right now! But it is a process, and a very personal one at that.

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 6, 2007 2:47:34 PM