Election 2008 | Mike Huckabee | News | Republican Party | Rudy Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani: Homosexual Acts Sinful, Not Orientation

Rudy Giuliani appeared on Meet the Press with Tim Russert yesterday and was asked about Huckabee's 1992 comments I posted about earlier. Giuliani told Russert that it's acts that are sinful, not orientation, and he too is a sinner.

The remarks begin at about 3:45 in the clip above.

MSNBC transcript.

MR. RUSSERT: And we’re back. Our remaining minutes with Rudy Giuliani.

Mike Huckabee, leading the field in Iowa, told the Associated Press back in the ‘90s that AIDS patients should be quarantined and that “homosexuality was aberrant, unnatural and a sinful lifestyle.” What’s your reaction?

MR. GIULIANI: My reaction is that I haven’t seen—on the second of that, I haven’t seen Mike’s comment. The first one I think he says that he didn’t have the information, that he’s changed his mind about it, it’s not his current position. Look, I got enough of my own statements and issues, as we’ve seen, that I have to deal with. I think Mike has to...

MR. RUSSERT: But you don’t believe homosexuality is aberrant...

MR. GIULIANI: Oh, no, no, no.

MR. RUSSERT: ...unnatural or sinful.

MR. GIULIANI: My, my, my—no, I don’t believe it’s sinful. My, my moral views on this come from the, you know, from the Catholic Church, and I believe that homosexuality, heterosexuality as a, as a way that somebody leads their life is not—isn’t sinful. It’s the acts, it’s the various acts that people perform that are sinful, not the—not the orientation that they have.

MR. RUSSERT: The Congress is discussing and...

MR. GIULIANI: Which includes me, by the way. I mean, you know, unfortunately, I’ve had my own sins that I’ve had to confess and had to deal with and try to overcome and so I’m very, very empathetic with people, and that we’re all, we’re all imperfect human beings struggling to, to try to be better.

Comments

1. I think I'd rather switch from Sister Rudy back to Sister Wendy.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 10, 2007 9:18:43 AM

2. Serial adulterers like Rudy are experts when it comes to Sin.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 10, 2007 9:34:39 AM

3. Fuck you, Rudy. We don't need a serial adulterer moralizing about homosexuality. We don't need a man who allowed public funds to be used to escort and protect his mistress. And don't give me that nonsense about hiding behind the Catholic Church's ridiculous position that it's *not* a sin to have a homosexual orientation but that it *is* a sin to act on them. Just crawl back under your rock and leave us alone.

Posted by: Jonathon | Dec 10, 2007 9:50:33 AM

4. What an unbelievable douchebag. How can anyone not see through this guy? Can republicans really be that idiotic? They can't possibly be... or maybe they just are either too greedy or too bigoted to care.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 10, 2007 9:50:46 AM

5. That bitch just cannot make up her mind how she feels about anything.

Posted by: GM | Dec 10, 2007 9:51:32 AM

6. America's mayor is just another bigot under the guise of being compassionate, and a two bit hypocrite pandering for votes. Its funny though, that so many gays were behind him as the best hope for fairness and equality, I guess they should have asked the black residents of NYC just how fair and compassionate he is.

He fits the douche label as good as any of the other GOP candidates.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 10, 2007 10:17:15 AM

7. I wonder what that gay couple he lived with thinks about this. You know, the couple whose wedding ceremony Rudy said he'd perform personally when marriage equality became law? This guy makes Mitt-don't-know-shit seem positively principled.

Posted by: sam | Dec 10, 2007 10:21:48 AM

8. LOG CABINS, this is suppose to be the MOST liberal republican?

you are doing a heck of a job, LOG CABINS.

Posted by: johnosahon | Dec 10, 2007 10:23:49 AM

9. This is my problem with two-party politics. If a candidate wants to make a legitimate run for a seat in the White House, in Congress, even in state government, he/she is forced into adopting the majority ideologies of either the Republicans or the Democrats. Do I honestly think Giuliani thinks homosexual acts are sinful? No. And do I even think he knew what the Bible was before putting himself in the Presidential mix in the GOP? No. But it doesn't matter anymore because it's all about pandering to his constituents. I think the whole thing is vile and I wish the Republican and Democratic leadership would get marooned on an island, "Lost" style. Then maybe we could start over and put someone with concrete beliefs into power.

Posted by: David | Dec 10, 2007 10:33:50 AM

10. I have to agree David, this two party system is wrong, just like these tiny states that pick who is the candidate, that don't reflect the country as a whole diversity wise. I for one tire of every election, no matter where you live with the candidates pandering to the right wing for votes, since they are the main ones who come out in these early primaries. This place does not need how you view gays or anyone else via the Bible as the way you get elected, but, sadly, this is the case, and always will be. These so called Christians and evangelicals live in glass churches, homes, and jobs surrounded only by people who look like them, and have the same narrow view of anyone different, be it based on sexuality, race, or foreign origin, sad, but as American as apple pie on the 4th of July.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 10, 2007 10:46:09 AM

11. I think you guys are forgetting the real threat, Huckabee. He's the dangerous one and the's the one that wants to get rid of all homosexuals.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 10, 2007 10:56:30 AM

12. Rudy is BY FAR the most tolerant of the Republican candidates right now. Good God, let's all pray he gets the nomination. The (relative) lesser of a ton of evil.

Yes, he's an asshole and, yes, he sold us out. But, Jesus, would you rather have Mitt FUCKING ROMNEY as your President??

Unless this is some sort of reverse psychology experiement where we're all supposed to be, like, "Ooooh, Rudy is the worst for gays! We hate him! Boo! Hiss!" so that the Republicans cackle as they vote for him. If that's the case, okay.

Otherwise, let's be scared about Huckabee or Romney or even McCain. Rudy is a hypocritical bully, but he is not an enemy of gays per se.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 10, 2007 10:57:39 AM

13. yes, we should be happy if Guliani wins the nom, because we might get a few crumbs after he gets through feeding the rightwing hogs he's sold his soul to.

Posted by: nil | Dec 10, 2007 11:06:32 AM

14. Sometimes, sometimes like these, I really regret the Romans never finished what they started.

Posted by: Gil | Dec 10, 2007 11:31:08 AM

15. he must be speaking of drag.

Posted by: ricardo | Dec 10, 2007 12:26:27 PM

16. Oh, great. So it's okay that I'm gay, Rudy, as long as I stay abstinent for the rest of my life. I'm glad he admits he gets that view from his Catholic upbringing, because staying abstinent has sure worked out well for priests and little children inside the Catholic Church (the biggest reason I, as someone who was raised Catholic, left the Church to begin with).

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 10, 2007 1:14:55 PM

17. Wow... did y'all read or listen to this before you commented?

Rudy said that he doesn't think homosexuality is aberrant or unnatural.

As for "sinful", that's a church word so he responded how his church teaches - well, as the more liberal Catholics tought before the new homophobic Pope - that homosexuality isn't sinful, per se, just some specific acts. And then he went on to say that he's as much a sinner himself in the eyes of his church.

What more supportive thing could he have POSSIBLY said? I suppose he could have said his church is wrong. And that would have been nice.

But what he said is the most supportive comments you could possibly get from someone who is a Catholic. Basically, he said that Huckabee is just flat wrong and that he, Rudy, has no problem with gays. He "empathizes".

Ya know, coming from the leading candidate for the Republican nomination, this should give our community a reason to celebrate.

Now if you want to hate Rudy, you can hate him. There's a lot of reasons why you might not like his politics or his positions. You may not like his administration in NYC or think he's a bully or whatever.

But to read this as some moralizing anti-gay comment is to completely miss the point.

Posted by: Timothy | Dec 10, 2007 1:16:15 PM

18. Good lord, JEFF acts as if the only people running for President are Republicans and the ONLY choice we have is to elect Rudy or Romney or Huckabee. NEWSFLASH JEFF, there is whole other set of candidates running who have much more enlightened positions on gay issues. They are certainly far from perfect but ANY one of them beats EVERY ONE of the Republican lot.

And TIMOTHY, it never ceases to amaze me how people can spin and bend and warp what they hear into what they want to hear. Nice try at spinning Rudy. I'm not buying it.

RB, must be unhappy with Rudy's latest revelation.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 10, 2007 1:25:12 PM

19. Rudy, Huckabee, both are bogus bigots, and anytime they pander and lie for votes, it shows they lack character, and, that has nothing to do with their so called faith, since faith in God teaches tolerance, not judgment.

And, as we have seen with the current bigot in office, they pick and chose which America deserves fairness,and it hasn't been gays, the poor, people of color, disable folks, etc., so, if anyone thinks they will get some sort of fair treatment from Rudy if he is elected, must be part of the Log Cabin group.

Posted by: Wesley | Dec 10, 2007 1:26:35 PM

20. Zeke, I said Rudy is the lesser of a lot of Republican evil. If he is what we have to go up against next November, I'd be a lot happier than ANY other of the current potential nominees.

I'm not ignoring the Democrats. Duh.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 10, 2007 1:35:16 PM

21. Zeke,

Let me unspin it for you:

MR. RUSSERT: But you don’t believe homosexuality is aberrant...

MR. GIULIANI: Oh, no, no, no.

That's where I get the part that Rudy doesn't think homosexuality is aberrant.

That's where I get that he's answering "sinful" from a religious perspective.

That's the pre-Ratziger liberal Catholic answer to homosexuality. Incidentally, he's saying that homosexuality and heterosexuality are comparable as neither are sinful lives, but certain acts within both are "sinful". He's not separating one and pointing at it.

It’s the acts, it’s the various acts that people perform that are sinful, not the—not the orientation that they have. Which includes me, by the way. I mean, you know, unfortunately, I’ve had my own sins that I’ve had to confess and had to deal with and try to overcome and so I’m very, very empathetic with people, and that we’re all, we’re all imperfect human beings struggling to, to try to be better.

Which, if you know his history at all, you know he's saying that the Church calls his acts sinful. For God's sake he's divorced - and his chuch considers him to be in a perpetual state of adultery.

According to Rudy's church, as he explained it, he's exactly the same kind of sinner that I am.

Now maybe you think that's spin, but if so, please show me where. I think perhaps you are just looking for insult where there is none.

Posted by: Timothy | Dec 10, 2007 1:40:48 PM

22. HE makes it sound as if he is not going to hell....as a catholic....which he brings up...the chruch does not recognise his divorce....he is presently living in sin...and may not even partake in the Eucharist....
    If he's going to play by Church Rules he needs to acknowledge all of them.
    And Russert (who I believe is also RC) should have followed up with that.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Dec 10, 2007 1:48:48 PM

23. Asshole he is. Adulterer in triplicate he is. He better shut up. He has no right to talk about gayness or anything else for that matter. He's dirty all around in his business dealings after his NY Mayor stint. Hope all of you realize what an asshole this man is.

Posted by: Oscar | Dec 10, 2007 2:48:35 PM

24. Who can take his word as a moralist when he was getting his freak on with his first cousin, as if there were no single non-family women in the whole of NYC? Anyone who believes that he will be pro gay is delusional. I think his sex acts, and, that is one vile picture to think of, are sinful, especially when you are married and got a mistress on the side. Sinful, and nasty.

maybe he should be concerned with all the money he bilked the tax payers of NYC out of, and, all the money they paid out in law suits for his racist, abusive police force he endorsed instead of his "Christian" take on homosexuality. I'd vote for Bush and 4 more years before this churl. And, since Bush wants him to win according to gossip, that would proably make the GOP happy, gay bashing will be yet another one of the baits they trhow out, since that works better than the anti-immigrant or black hysteria they usually spew .

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 10, 2007 3:22:10 PM

25. How kind of Mr. Giuliani to compare the "sin" of physical expressions of love (acts) that I share with my one and only, and monogamous partner of 16+ with his sleazy, lying, vow breaking adulterous LIFESTYLE that he has lead in that same period of time.

And YES Timothy, you still are spinning for him because you know that he is saying that sexual orientation is OK as long as we don't "act" upon it but you're acting as if that isn't anti-gay because it's the teaching of the Catholic Church.

This same church, by the way, used to teach that having a left-handed orientation wasn't sinful but USING one's left hand was.

I don't give a rat's ass how he wraps up or justifies his NEW-FOUND anti-gay opinions, he's a liar, a cheater, a scumbag, an opportunist and an anti-gay douche bag who has no business speaking on issues of marriage, family, healthy relationships, sin, morality, faith or Catholicism.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 10, 2007 3:35:56 PM