Gay Marriage | News

Sister Wendy on Gay Marriage: God is All Love

Verena von Pfetten of the Huffington Post talks to nun and art historian Sister Wendy in a recent interview, and asks a question about gay marriage and reconciling her beliefs with the church. Can we have a debate featuring Sister Wendy, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee?

SisterwendyQ: You've spoken out about gay marriage. How do you balance what you believe with what you have sworn to uphold?

Sister Wendy: I believe in loyalty. We should respect our church, but never believe that the church has the last word. The church is saying "this", but I believe that sooner or later "this" will change. "This" is not the mind of our Lord. God is all love. It's a delicate balancing thing. The Church has changed it's position over the years, and because the spirit is with the Church, in the end the Church will always get it right. But in the end. The spirit of the Church is the meaning of love, which hasn't yet, perhaps, been fully understood.

(via daily dish)

Comments

1. Awesome.

Go Sister Wendy!

Posted by: Marc | Dec 7, 2007 12:36:24 PM

2. It's people like her that give me faith in the power and grace of religion and its ability to support the lives we lead and the relationships we pursue. This made my day.

Posted by: Adric | Dec 7, 2007 12:42:28 PM

3. I've always loved this woman for her art specials and now I have another reason.

Posted by: wetcnt | Dec 7, 2007 12:46:06 PM

4. She's so going to hell.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Dec 7, 2007 12:51:46 PM

5. Three cheers to Sister Wendy.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 7, 2007 1:00:27 PM

6. Well. God bless Sister Wendy.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 7, 2007 1:02:31 PM

7. I haven't said this about a nun since I was a little kid in Catholic grade school, but I think I officially love Sister Wendy!!

Posted by: RcktMan | Dec 7, 2007 1:17:32 PM

8. jeffg166 I bet you will miss Sister Wendy in hell.

Posted by: john | Dec 7, 2007 1:30:50 PM

9. I have LOVED Sister Wendy and her art history/education show for years! She has always been so open minded and thoughtful in her reviews. She never shies away from controversial works or topics; never allowing stodgy outdated Catholic doctrine to get in the way of her intelligent and educated critique.

Her position on marriage equality is not in the least bit surprising to me since it seems fully in keeping with her normal way of thoughtfully and INDEPENDENTLY considering topics without being bound by the dark ages mentality of the Vatican or it's more recent residents.

Even still she really made my day.

Sister Wendy ROCKS!

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 7, 2007 1:31:03 PM

10. Sister Wendy-ism what do you think?, I'd join! I've loved her for a long time and I'm glad that love was not misplaced.

Posted by: Chris i | Dec 7, 2007 1:33:00 PM

11. Good for Sister Wendy! God is love, and so many hate-filled "Christians" can't get that figured out. Here's a good reason why women should be allowed to be ordained as priests.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 7, 2007 1:35:56 PM

12. I Love Sister Wendy.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 7, 2007 1:57:31 PM

13. I Love Sister Wendy.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 7, 2007 1:57:34 PM

14. I love Sister Wendy. Such a kind soul. The NY Times Weekend Magazine did an endearing piece on her and her life in Jan, 1997. Check it out:

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Dec 7, 2007 2:00:01 PM

15. Another nun, or rather ex-nun, Karen Armstrong has written several books on religion. One of them, A History of God, talks about how God has changed in personality as society changes. In the last part of the book she claims that religion will fail unless it accepts gay people fully and not stay with some kind of "love the sinner, hate the sin" mentality.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 7, 2007 2:21:05 PM

16. I've always had a great deal of respect for Sister Wendy. She's generally been the antithesis of what most Nuns represent. Her honest and forthright opinion on this subject is both welcomed and appreciated...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Dec 7, 2007 2:30:47 PM

17. Talk about courage of conviction. Twist, little sister, and go to heaven!

A nun this funky...

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Dec 7, 2007 2:39:57 PM

18. Why can't all Christians see that Sister Wendy's views are in keeping with the words and actions of Jesus Christ and are far more Christian than their own judgement, discrimination and hate?

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 7, 2007 2:52:03 PM

19. She's the perfect example of what happens when you're not corrupted by others. We could all be as sweet and innocent as her if we weren't followed around by hateful influences all our lives.

Posted by: MT | Dec 7, 2007 2:52:24 PM

20. I've been an atheist for a while now but people like Sister Wendy (whom I had never heard of up until now) and Desmond Tutu give me hope that there's still some goodness coming from organized religions. Like it or not, the majority of people are spiritual one way or another and we've got to use their influence if opinions need to be shifted in our favor (gay cause that is).

Go sister,go!

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 7, 2007 2:59:29 PM

21. she has a genius mind...and her thinking & words are genius

everytime I listened to her art talks on PBS....I just felr very at ease & the earth will be a better place with art IN it...even if she didn't like the piece of art......I love Sister Wendy!!!

Posted by: TONY | Dec 7, 2007 3:21:47 PM

22. It's been said, but... I LOVE Sister Wendy. Even dressed up in a habit and called myself "Sister Lia" for a college presentation in phallic symbols in art. Love it.

Posted by: Lia | Dec 7, 2007 3:43:42 PM

23. Thanks, Andy for posting about a Catholic that isn't a child-abuser/molester/whatever! There's been lots of discussion on these boards where people blast anyone affiliated with religion... I worked for a Newman Center before I was out, and people like Sister Wendy were the norm rather than the exception. Watching her show is like getting a hug through the TV. Christ, I love that woman!!!

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 7, 2007 4:57:28 PM

24. I sensed Sister Wendy was especially non dogmatic when she analyzed a David Hockney painting on one of her TV shows. The painting shows a young man getting out of a swimming pool. We see his back down to below his ass.
    She referred to the "beautiful young man", which sounded unusual coming from a Catholic nun critiquing a Hockney painting. Presumably "beautiful" from Hockney's point of view, and, to understand the painting, perhaps from hers - although of course she has chosen a different way to live her life.
    Brava Sister Wendy!!

Posted by: dave | Dec 7, 2007 6:17:32 PM

25. I'm sure this question will show how blonde I am, but is she a lesbian or something?

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 7, 2007 8:07:32 PM