80th Annual Academy Award Nominations Announced

“Atonement”
“Juno”
“Michael Clayton”
“No Country for Old Men”
“There Will Be Blood”

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”
Julie Christie, “Away From Her”
Marion Cotillard, “La Vie en Rose”
Laura Linney, “The Savages”
Ellen Page, “Juno”

BEST ACTOR
George Clooney, “Michael Clayton”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will Be Blood”
Johnny Depp, “Sweeney Todd”
Viggo Mortensen, “Eastern Promises”
Tommy Lee Jones, “In the Valley of Elah”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, “I’m Not There”
Ruby Dee, “American Gangster”
Saoirse Ronan, “Atonement”
Amy Ryan, “Gone Baby Gone”
Tilda Swinton, “Michael Clayton”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
Javier Bardem, “No Country for Old Men”
Hal Holbrook, “Into The Wild”
Philip Seymour Hoffman, “Charlie Wilson’s War”
Tom Wilkinson, “Michael Clayton”

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson, “There Will Be Blood”
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, “No Country for Old Men”
Julian Schnabel, “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”
Tony Gilroy, “Michael Clayton”
Jason Reitman, “Juno”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody, “Juno”
Nancy Oliver, “Lars and the Real Girl”
Tony Gilroy, “Michael Clayton”
Brad Bird, Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird, “Ratatouille”
Tamara Jenkins, “The Savages”

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Paul Thomas Anderson, “There Will Be Blood”
Christopher Hampton, “Atonement”
Ronald Harwood, “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, “No Country for Old Men”
Sarah Polley, “Away From Her”

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
“Beaufort” (Israel)
“The Counterfeiters” (Austria)
“Katyn” (Poland)
“Mongol” (Kazakhstan)
“12” (Russia)

BEST ANIMATED FILM
“Persepolis”
“Ratatouille”
“Surf’s Up”

BEST ART DIRECTION
“American Gangster”
“Atonement”
“The Golden Compass”
“Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
“There Will Be Blood”

“Atonement,” Jacqueline Durran
“Elizabeth: The Golden Age,” Alexandra Byrne
“La Vie En Rose,” Marit Allen
“Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street,” Colleen Atwood

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
“No End in Sight”
“Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience”
“Sicko”
“Taxi to the Dark Side”
“War/Dance”

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
“Freeheld”
“La Corona” (“The Crown”)
“Salim Baba”
“Sari’s Mother”

BEST FILM EDITING
“The Bourne Ultimatum,” Christopher Rouse
“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly,” Juliette Welfling
“Into the Wild,” Jay Cassidy
“No Country for Old Men,” Roderick Jaynes
“There Will Be Blood,” Dylan Tichenor

BEST MAKEUP
“La Vie en Rose”
“Norbit”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
“Atonement”, Dario Marianelli
“The Kite Runner”, Alberto Iglesias
“Michael Clayton”, James Newton Howard
“Ratatouille”, Michael Giacchino
“3:10 to Yuma”, Marco Beltrami

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Falling Slowly” from “Once”
“Happy Working Song” from “Enchanted”
“Raise It Up” from “August Rush”
“So Close” from “Enchanted”
“That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted”

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
“I Met the Walrus”
“Madame Tutli-Putli”
“M√™me Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)”
“My Love (Moya Lyubov)”
“Peter & the Wolf”

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
“At Night”
“Il Supplente (The Substitute)”
“Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)”
“Tanghi Argentini”

“No Country For Old Men”
“Ratatouille”
“3:10 to Yuma”
“Transformers”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
“The Golden Compass”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”
“Transformers”

Comments

1. Jez says

What the hell, Michael Clayton?
    Seriously, I watched it and I thought it was alright. Not awesome, not bad, but definitely not Oscar worthy. There are more deserving candidates!

2. Davey says

Really thought Angie deserved a nom for Mighty Heart. Just saw Easter Promises last night and Viggo Mortensen was excellent..Casey Affleck is hotter than hell

3. says

Hi Andy:
    You have six actors listed for Supporting Actor (there are usually only five). Tommy Lee Jones isn’t nominated in this category.

ūüėČ

4. secretagentman says

Thrilled for my homegirl Sarah Polley for getting her own nomination, along with Julie Christie. Also, Ellen Page, another hugely talented Canadian.
    I am disappointed that the studio did not push for Zodiac for noms, it was underated.

5. says

As “unexciting” as some people think this year is just from the perspective of no well-known movies up there duking it out (no Titanics, no Brokebacks), the quality of the movies this year is really what excites me. I’ve seen most of them and think the top five chosen were really deserving. Did not love No Country, but it was certainly an artistic statement that drives the medium forward. I liked There Will Be Blood best of all, but would have liked Eastern Promises and Into The West to get more love. Atonement was so beautifully directed it’s a shame they shafted its director to make room for the very deserving Schnabel. Angelina probably should have gotten a nod over Blanchett for part 2 of Elizabeth. Just a lot of great movies this year.

6. EireKev says

Nah, I’m happier with that list than I’ve been in years. I’m interested in all of the Best Picture nominations, seen and loved 2 and waiting for the other 3 to get released here. In fairness, it’s been a pretty good year for films.

7. Highney says

Interesting list, even if I don’t agree with all the choices. I’ve seen all the flicks except the Foreign language nominees, which have yet to open. Can’t wait, and hoping for a quick end to the writer’s strike. By the way Andy, you have also have six nominees in the Best Original Song and Costume Design categories. You can lose the song from Hairspray and Lust, Caution from Costume Design.

8. 24play says

Oh, work! “Norbit” costs Eddie Murphy an Oscar in 2007 and becomes an Oscar-nominated film itself in 2008.

9. dnash says

You’ve got an error in the “Best Song” nom list also – there is no nominated song from Hairspray.

10. says

Wait a minute… Norbit? The make-up was not as spectacular as the CGI head replacement work for that film. It should not have been nominated but.. we all know that. I’m glad Amy Ryan got this Nom. She did an outstanding job.

11. James says

Ryan Gosling was shafted for Lars and the Real Girl. Sarah Polley should have been nominated for Best Director, too. Away From Her was fantastic.

12. peterparker says

Every year The Academy overlooks some really fine film/performance in order to nominate or actually give an award to a less deserving film/performance. In 2005, they handed Best Picture to ‘Crash’, an absolutely pedestrian, ham-handed film if there ever was one, over ‘Brokeback Mountain’, which was groundbreaking and beautiful and ‘Capote’. Also in 2005, ‘Murderball’, a stunning and moving documentary about athletes who happen to be in wheelchairs lost Best Documentary to ‘March of the Penguins’ which was nothing more than an overblown Discovery Channel Saturday afternoon filler. In 2004, ‘The Lord Of The Rings, The Return Of The King’ beat out ‘Lost In Translation’. In 1997, ‘Titanic’, a sappy, weepy, glorified chick flick beat out ‘Good Will Hunting’ and ‘L.A. Confidential’, both of which were far better films. I long ago decided the Academy Awards were about as meaningful as Mr. Blackwell’s Best Dressed and Worst Dressed Lists.

This year, The Academy has chosen to ignore ‘Into The Wild’ for Best Picture as well as it’s leading man, Emile Hirsch, for Best Actor, a nomination he richly deserved. I’m glad to see Hal Holbrook nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role in ‘Into The Wild’. He’ll probably lose to Phillip Seymore Hoffman who could have sleep walked through his role in ‘Charlie Wilson’s War’.

I cannot understand the buzz about ‘No Country For Old Men’ (and I’m a fan of the Coen Brothers). They certainly did a good job of keeping you on the edge of your seat the whole time, but the story went *nowhere*. I HATED that movie. It was pointless.

And finally…’Michael Clayton’?! Michael-Fucking-Clayton??!!! You’ve got to be kidding me!!!!!

13. peterparker says

Yes, James…you are right, Ryan Gosling was shafted for Lars and the Real Girl’.

And I can’t let this go without commenting on George Clooney’s nomination for Best Actor for his role in ‘Michael Clayton’. There is no way he deserves that nomination over Ryan Gosling in ‘Lars and the Real Girl’. And there is no way he deserves that nomination over Emile Hirsch’s performance in ‘Into The Wild’. But Johnny Depp in ‘Sweeney Todd’ is an even worse nomination than George Clooney. For two hours Depp does nothing but frown, scowl and sing (badly). I thought his was one of the *worst* performances I’ve seen all year.

And finally, if you haven’t seen ‘Eastern Promises’, I highly recommend it. Not only is it a great film with fine acting and an interesting storyline, but there is also a looooooooooooooong nude scene in which we get to see every inch of Viggo Mortensen from almost every angle you could possibly imagine. I’m just sorry I didn’t see it on the big screen. Sigh.

14. EireKev says

Peter Parker, while I completely agree you about some points (Eastern Promises for example. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen) I’d disagree about others. While good, I thought Lost in Translation was completely over-rated. And I really liked Michael Clayton. Not sure about the Best Actor nomination for George Clooney but he did do a very good job. As did Tilda and Tom Wilk.

Oh, and every one I’ve spoken to about Crash has loved it in Ireland anyway. Including me.

15. 24play says

I could’ve lived with Crash losing the best picture Oscar and instead winning best foreign film in Ireland‚ÄĒand all over the world.

16. peterparker says

Watching ‘Crash’ was like having someone hit you over the head again and again and again while forcing you to listen to a tape recording drone over and over and over again “Racism is BAD! Racism is BAD! Racism is BAD!”.

And the reason it won best picture was that it had such a huge ensemble cast that the actors and all their friends and coworkers voted for it.

17. Tim says

Totally agree PeterParker. But you really just have to take these award shows with a grain of salt, especially the Oscars. I mean, you can vote without actually having seen all of the movies nominated? It’s so completely ridiculous. I’m actually really happy with some of the nominations. Juno, Ellen Page, LAURA LINNEY!, VIGGO!, Sarah Polley, Tamara Jenkins… Through all the expected stuff and some of the crap there is the occasional nice nomination this year. And let’s just pray that Michael Clayton doesn’t win best picture.

18. DC Arnold says

Bitter Queen alert: I see the academy has gone lily white again and ignored Don Cheadle (Talk to Me) in yet another role that was just as captivating as the nominated actors, I guess I’ll have to wait for the pendulum to swing back to people of color getting recognised.