Fred Phelps’ Westboro Baptist to Picket Heath Ledger Funeral

Fred Phelps’ Westboro Baptist Church and his band of haters plan to picket the funeral of actor Heath Ledger, because of his involvement in Brokeback Mountain.

WbcIn a news release, the church wrote: “Yes. WBC will picket this pervert’s funeral, in religious protest and warning: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked.” Gal. 6:7. Heath Ledger thought it was great fun defying God Almighty and his plain word; to wit: God Hates Fags! & Fag Enablers! Ergo, God hates the sordid tacky, bucket of slime seasoned with vomit known as ‘Brokeback Mountain’ – and He hates all persons having anything whatsoever to do with it. Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and has begun serving his eternal sentence there – beside which, nothing else about Heath Ledger is relevant or consequential.”

The Kansas-based ministry was recently ordered to pay $11 million to the father of a slain U.S. soldier for picketing at the funeral of his son. Westboro Baptist claims that the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are God’s wrath against a nation that tolerates homosexuality.

Previously
Court Unseals Financial Records of Westboro Baptist Church [tr]
Westboro Baptist Church Thumbs Nose at $11 Million Judgment [tr]
Slain Soldier’s Father Awarded $11 Million in Westboro Baptist Case [tr]

Comments

1. phil says

I really doubt those inbred morons will fly to Australia to picket the funeral, so unless there is also some sort of memorial service for Heath here in America for them to try to stink up this press release is baloney.

2. rascal says

I understand that there’s an argument to be made for publicizing the views of extremists in order to highlight the ugliness of milder strains of bigotry, but I agree with Jeremy. It isn’t hard to find clusters of rogue lunatics, but giving them airtime seems to be, at the end of the day, just a cynical, condescending press ploy. Andy, I thought you had more respect for your audience than that.

3. says

Yeah, I’ve had my fill of WBC and would rather not know what idiotic thing they’re saying they’ll do – just to get media attention… especially this close to Ledger’s death.

I would like to know when some of the WBC are shot while enacting their violent hate crimes, however…

4. says

Of course this has to be covered because if its not people forget these nut jobs are out there.
    Phelps and his followers are as-holes with nothing better to do. I knew yesterday when I heard about this that Phelps would be on his way to protest.
    This is a good time to lash out against Phelps or anyone who shares his beliefs.
    Send emails, write a note to Phelps, don’t just sit around and take it because these hillbillies are not going away.

5. says

Phelps and his gang will not be tolerated in Australia. Aussies are some of the most endearing people on the Earth. However, welcoming inbred psychotics is not in their nature. These lunatics will be hauled off to jail forthwith.

6. Mary, Really Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire, Ireland, Empress of India, etc..... says

Had we exposed Dolph Hitler to open and complete ridcule and contempt, we surely could have avoided the unpleasentness of WWII. Snails like Fred and his coven must be exposed to the light of day, and Her Highness (Mary, really Late Dowager Queen, By the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India) prefers pouring beer on snails……

7. Krypenthorff III says

I reckon it’s good to remind people how crazy and hateful WBC can be. Maybe mainstream news coverage of this will make more independents etc. realise that the Christian right are fairly loony and that a tolerant democrat is needed to keep things cool.

A nun I know recently confided that when Phelps dies she’s planning to organise a march near the funeral with pickets saying “God loves you, Fred!” and “May you rest in peace!” etc. Wicked!

8. Mark says

I’m glad to see that the Dowager Queen of the British Empire is FINALLY on line… ( I guess that’s why you’re referred to as “really Late” ). Keep us posted, Mary,{I mean Your Highness}, on your piffy comments. After all, you ARE the Undoudted Queen…

9. the queen says

while it is always upsetting to the see the “rotting cryptkeeper” (as pams house blend so aptly names phelps) mentioned here it still is andy’s blog and he has the right to post whatever he wants. what is heartening to see is the outpouring of love, affection, and graditude for heath. i’ve always believed that love wins out over hate. maybe as another poster has surmised the cyrptkeeper will get a suprise reception in australia should the funeral be held there. i had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about heath but if there is another world i hope he’s happy and at peace there. bless you heath and thank you for brokeback.

10. yoshi says

Once again Andy you take WBs bait hook line and sinker. When will you realize that these people are just using you to further their own goals? The only approach to these publicity seeking whores is to ignore them. But you just can’t do that can you? You care more about driving traffic do your site to pull in ad revenue … looking to buy a new car?

11. Rad says

It is our “Sound Bite” mentality that will keep Phelps and his minions empowered. Say something (right or wrong) often enough and it becomes the truth in our society; and with the media promoting this vile, cesspool of hate, I am sure more and more people will learn to tolerate it.

I can only imagine what will be considered “main-stream / acceptable” 20 or 30 years from now?

12. Darren says

If I was the dad who won the $11 Million dollar lawsuit against these idiots, I’d be there with my lawyers demanding payment before they filled up their gas tanks.

13. says

As an Aussie, from Heath’s hometown of Perth, I’m afraid that Phelps rabid bigotry and disgusting would have been at least covertly approved of under the Howard Government, which fortunately got voted out on its racist, homophobic arse at our recent election.

As to Phelps himself- is anyone else looking forward to picketing *his* funeral? And by “picketing” I mean “Celebrating”? It’s just a shame there won’t be a camera available in the afterlife to view Phelps’ no-doubt priceless expression when he realizes he’s actually gone to Hell…

14. JT says

I agree with The Dowager (I hope you don’t mind the foreshortening, but honestly! What a mouthful! I’d rather save my mouth for other things).

Expose the roach to light. He and his ilk make the case for their revulsion beautifully. We have so little work to do if we let him do it for us.

15. Paul R says

I appreciate knowing what these freaks are up to, and am glad Andy shares their hate speech with us. We have enemies, and we need to be aware of them. Can’t spend all day looking at Sportraits, after all.

16. Jonathan Rybka says

As much as I detest this man, I would rather them open their mouths so we as a nation can see how foolish they truly are. Thank God for the 1st Amendment.

17. Mike says

Fred Phelps is self distructing and has help educate everyone in America on Homophobia. Most people with any comon sence see through him and support us because of his arrogane and ignorance. just like the guy who posted above me.

18. patrick nyc says

I wonder if Phelps and his small group of inbred family know that Australia is not a state in the USA, maybe he thinks they can drive. Fred go down the California coast and before you get to Mexico make a sharp right.

There is no way these people can afford the trip to down under, let alone across their country to Perth. If they do I agree with the above posts, they will kick his has back home.

19. Stephen Coleman says

we need to know.
    our complacency gives them what they want.
    letting them go unchecked gives them more power than a report on a website.
    ignoring them does not help.
    such hatred and ignorance only spreads.
    a solution must exist.
    until then we need to know.

20. lou says

They may want to check up on Australia Anti-Discrimination laws; urging hate against a group isn’t protected speech speech, it’s hate-speech and is punishable civilly and criminally – at both state and federal levels.

Wouldn’t it be good if they were sent to prison and ass-rapped. Poetic justice?

21. jb says

It’s good and bad, really. On the one hand, they nicely illustrate the end result of believing in the relevance of magik, all powerful, fictional, sky-folk. On the other, the WBC provides cover to people who think that there’s nothing wrong with the worship of said sky-folk if you’re not actually drawing blood in their name, as if christianity were somehow more credible than scientology or the psychic friends network.

22. Alan says

coming from australia this is all too much its so fucken sick….. hes dead… leave him be ….. and attacking a slider who had died derving his country and supplying those extremists their freedom of opinion is just as bad….. this is all just sick

23. scioto says

I think the worst thing about Phelps is that other bigots, particularly in the radical right wing religious cults, look at him and say “oh we’re not like him”.

They are. They package it differently, but the hate is the same.

It’s also interesting to me that they think gawd is going to turn his back on this country now if we don’t persecute gays. Gawd thought this was a great country however in previous years when slavery was the rule of the day in the more religious parts of the country.

24. Mark says

Hmmm – maybe we can actually help!!! IF the aussies can put these assholes in the slammer, then maybe we should all pitch in and buy their plane tickets!!!

Out of the country. Out of site. Out back.

However, if they do try to picket any stateside service – we ALL need to be there to drown out their nasty voice. Yes, it is time to make stand.

We can crush them without ever having touched them. WE need to send a loud, clear, strong message that we ain’t gonna take it anymore.

Please contact me directly if you would like to participate in drowning out this hate-mongering assholes.

25. kzz says

As bad as it is to want this, i really hope that some sort of violence is turned on these people… I’m very angry about this and all the comments surrounding Heath’s death. We’re all humans, and all deserve to be treated as such.

26. Hephaestion says

Fred Phelps has a gay son who is estranged from him and he has started a web site at http://www.phagsforphelps.com which has the interesting concept of supporting Phelps’ freaky activities since they probably do more to make people support gay rights than anyone else… by turning people off with their bald, extreme hatred.

27. Brian says

They can turn up at the funeral with their ‘God hates fags’ posters, anyone think we should turn up with our own?
    Something like:

‘God hates fags, but EVERYONE hates WBC’

28. Ted says

Andy’s right to share this information with us. We all need to be reminded, particularly in this election year, of the dangers we face from the right wing radical christians. Take note of who they support in November!

I’ve always been a pacifist and prefer a Ghandi or MLK style of peaceful activism, but sometimes, like these, I begin to think some act of violence would be useful.

Heath, RIP, and thank you. I hope you know how much you did for us while you were alive. And in your death, by bringing some more hatemongers out into the open and showing the world what losers they are, you continue to provide support to us.

29. Michael says

Got this off of the WBC website so you all can see what there up to. this will be held on 1-27-08 2:30 til 4:30pm Los Angeles. this was posted on there web site, Wesboro Baptist Church. Its just poison being spread.

Los Angeles Shrine & Exposition Center 700 W 32nd St. This is for the Screen Actors Guild Awards where they will be “honoring” dead pervert Heath Ledger. He’s in Hell! He portrayed a fag in a movie, touting himself as a fag-enabler! This is a good time to crack Romans 1:32! He knows that God hates fags! We’ve told him since he was at least 14 years of age, warning you perverted Americans to FLEE THE SWORD! He didn’t obey, but used his megaphone as an actor to say, “It’s OKAY to be Gay!” In addition, he is also a fornicater and an adulterer, which make the fires of Hell burn even hotter for his stinking carcass. If you live the way this presumptous fool did, you will join him in like manner very shortly now! Fear God! See also http://www.youtube.com and type in “Heath in Hell” for a video done by our pastor on this subject.

30. Mykel says

I don’t know what God these people believe in but my God is a loving God and love and hate cannot exist in anyone that is a contradiction No matter how you look at it, I think Satan has gotten a hold of there word and twisted it just like it was fortold. Jesus said to Judge not unless ye be judged for I will judge you as you judge others. Matthew 6:14-15 says
    For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your father forgive your trespasses. Its plan and simple. The Key to Heaven is Forgiveness not condemnation. Jesus said I came to save not condemn. These people are busy condemning and spreading Hate. Thats not God. Its a Lie.

31. Noel says

And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Looking a the Poster reverting to the Phrase “God Hates Fags” follwed by the Scriptural text as written above taken from Malachi 1 verse 3.

As a Christian and a believer for the past 18years I can safely say, that there is no reference whatsover in that scriptural text to homosexuality none whatsoever.

Whatever I found in my entire expierecne walking as a christian, and as an exgay myself, I have found the opposite to be true. God loves people irrespective of age race colour persausion political view, religion. God Loves peoples.

What is a real shame is the Phelps actually bring our christian churchs down in public opinion because of thier racist homophobic attitudes.

The Church does not live in Fear Christianity destroys fear, we do not fear gay people, Please do not assoiciate real christian churches with this breakaway faction of a Good Baptist Demonination.

Donot lumber us with that label.