Basketball | Fashion Men | Kobe Bryant | News | Sports

Who Wore Short Shorts? Kobe Bryant and the Lakers

Lakers1

As an honor to hall-of-famer Jerry West, the Los Angeles Lakers wore vintage uniforms in the first half of their game against the Celtics on Sunday night. In question was what psychological effect the fashion switch may have had on the score, as the Lakers lost to the Celtics 110-91. Most Lakers appeared intent on covering the thighs with some longer spandex leggings.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said: "I don't know if it spurred anyone on, but I hope it gave everyone a history lesson in some ways. I thought it was a really classy move, and really cool to watch. I think it played in our favor, the atmosphere, because they had to get it from somewhere, and maybe those shorts helped us. I told Kobe, the one thing I know from this point on, our generation had better bodies than their generation, because they looked horrible in those shorts."

Kobe Bryant said he felt visually raped: "I don't know what it feels like to wear a thong, but I imagine it feels something like what we had on in the first half. I felt violated. I felt naked. It's one thing to see films with guys wearing those things. ... I'd rather stay warm, man."

Mark and Donnie Wahlberg appeared to enjoy themselves.

Lakers2

And shooting guard Sasha Vujačić appeared to have no problem with the costume change.

Vujacic

Boston 110, Lakers 91 [ap via yahoo]

Comments

1. Skip all the others and lets just focus on the one guy I've never heard of,Vujacic, sexy as all out, and, nice shot too!

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 2, 2008 9:26:21 AM

2. Those short shorts look much better, sexier, and cleaner than that baggy, saggy shitty bloomers basketball players wear nowadays. 'Though I must admit, Dr. J and the "old timers" could wear those short shorts much better than these skinny, physically peculiar lookin' thaings today.

Do I sound like an elderly bigot?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 10:38:35 AM

3. Those short shorts look much better, sexier, and cleaner than that baggy, saggy shitty bloomers basketball players wear nowadays. 'Though I must admit, Dr. J and the "old timers" could wear those short shorts much better than these skinny, physically peculiar lookin' thaings today.

Do I sound like an elderly bigot?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 10:39:34 AM

4. Must be too elderly, I'm repeating myself.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 10:44:30 AM

5. Kobe should know something about being violated. They should all grow the fuck up. Sasha Vujačić is way hot.

Posted by: Tintin Malfoy | Jan 2, 2008 11:33:50 AM

6. Wow, people are so catty in here this morning. Kobe is mighty hot whether wearing long or short shorts. No shorts at all would be my preference. He's obviously hotter than the bitter old queens that seem to visit towleroad regularly.

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 2, 2008 11:42:03 AM

7. That Sasha dude looks fat, nasty, and stank. Hopefully, he can play ball to compensate for the fug.

Posted by: Sasha who? | Jan 2, 2008 11:44:35 AM

8. Bitter? Bitter about what? I had plenty big, muscular, deep dark hunks of chocolate in my day. Kobe and his generation don't worry me--my hairline does. But as the only "bitter old queen" who commented on this thread, look, darlin': Kobe opened his mouth to criticize the type of uniforms worn by the great players who came before him. When Kobe did that he opened himself up to catty commentary by "bitter old queens" who remember how "hot" and sexy those "bitter old retired basketball players" used to look when they were young back in the 1970s and 60s.

No real harm meant, darlin'. I mean, who can hurt Kobe? The whole country knows how rough he can get when he's all excited.

Furthermore, if one is a "bitter old queen" one would have(have had) a very different type of "hotness" than a muscular professional jock. But I understand where you're coming from, darlin'. I will never insult Kobe or his generation of athletes agai...in the near future.

Some folks must fantasize it real rough--torn membranes, blood and stuff...wow. Or is it just an NBA version of Chris Crocker?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 12:27:26 PM

9. Derrick, you are the best! Speaking as a not bitter queen, Kobe Bryant is a arrogant jerk, he puts it out like that, and, he has no problem getting it back. I was hoping he would have been traded to the Bulls and let the Chi-town fans put him in his place, instead of the fawning keep him happy and in LA at any cost fans.

Those silly baggy shorts they were ruin the sport, tennis was ruined by them with Sampras, Nadal running around in Capri pants, and, the good old days of long sexy legs on men in basketball shorts has been as well.

Swimming and track and field are the only sports left where you can ogle hot bodies that don't look like athletes in burkas.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 2, 2008 2:56:29 PM

10. Until the mid 60's they used to play professional tennis in long pants and polo shirts, kind of like golf players.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jan 2, 2008 3:13:29 PM

11. True Anon, but, then the short shorts came in, Mac, Muster, Borg,Lendel those things were so short and tight, you could see tennis balls all hanging out, LOL!

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 2, 2008 4:36:56 PM

12. Is it me, or do they all have skinny legs? Not sexy...

Posted by: Wet painT | Jan 3, 2008 12:46:24 AM

13. Always liked the old NBA uniforms. They were sexier (to me) but also more functional. Less baggy cloth to get in the way of swooping to the basket. I like what all Derrick has to say. But, I do think Sasha Vujačić is quite hot in a very natural, unassuming way. Just wish pro sports could get over the homophobe stuff. I've lost interest over the years (and I was once a RABID sports fan) to the point that I only follow soccer. All this homophobe stuff becomes tiresome.

Posted by: mike | Jan 3, 2008 4:19:26 AM

14. Kobe gets more obnoxious as time goes on. He feels "violated?" Please, they are all wearing tight thigh-length leggings underneath those shorts, unlike the olden days.

He just has no class.

Posted by: KB | Jan 7, 2008 2:47:16 AM

15. I guess Kobe would rather wear those koolats the uniform usually employes. Honestly, those baggy shirts look like muumuus anyway.. -big ol bunch of jock-cross-dressers!

Posted by: scoutabout | Jan 7, 2008 9:14:56 AM

16. A chimp like Bryant shouldn't complain so much, but everybody knows the kind of wimps these divas are.

Posted by: Raleigh | May 30, 2010 2:30:19 AM

17. The short shorts look great on the NBA players. Right now they wear way to long shorts

Posted by: Chris Dobrowolski | Jun 9, 2010 11:53:52 PM